Options

Stanford rapist

Comments

• Options
    The father has a huge role in his son's character development. So does the mother. So does his peer influences. So does every other aspect of society.

It's irrelevant. We are going to fail with some individuals. Some men are going to become violent and murder someone or rape someone or beat someone senseless... for kicks.

Coming back to my original point which others have expressed as well: in light of our impending failures... I choose to safeguard my daughter from being left vulnerable to a mutant. If she was ever raped... I would not say, "What the f**k were you doing?" I would attribute 100% of the blame on the rapist... and... then I'd go kill him or at least bash his face in.

My comments are intended to support women... not blame them. The comments are rooted in reality and pragmatic in nature. I'd love for a peaceful society where men would respect women- and other men for that matter- and leave each to their own. But I'd be dreaming with my head up my ass if I felt that time was coming anytime soon.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

Are we avoiding the "psychotic" realm of the conversation? A person that does something like this is probably a sociopath. It requires lack of empathy, disregard of the wellbeing of others, etc to be able to follow through with this type of behavior...textbook. I do not think this is a gender problem, but this dude probably does not fit the definition of a well functioning person. Just because a person is born a male does not automatically give them rape tendencies. Again, I feel that people need to be more aware that there are people like this out there.
    I saw a humorous video the other day of a person getting his leg humped by a dog while he was passed out drunk on a sidewalk... The likelihood of getting humped by either a dog or a psychopath increases dramatically if you pass out drunk in a place you probably should not pass out drunk. Dogs and sickos are everywhere... Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Not saying it's acceptable, but it is reality.

I disagree. you don't have to be psychotic or a sociopath to be a rapist. some people are just brought up to not respect others/boundaries, whether it's other men, other women, children, property, whatever.
    I'd respectfully disagree here.

I think that in order to rape someone, there is something wrong with you. Rape is not a lapse in judgement or knowledge... it's a cold, callous act that requires a lack of empathy and a sinister dark side.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The piece of shit dragged her to the dumpster.

Not only speaks of a lack of humaneness but also of anger and power. The fact that he "used" an object (and what, he dug into or around the dumpster improv-style for something adequate or was he prepared?) vs himself...ah Freud, bet you'd have much to say about that.

True, some of those traits can be innate but are generally learned whether by experience (the abused goes on to abuse) or by example.

No matter, no excuse.
  • Options
    Spoiled rotten little shit never learned responsibility. He learned narcissism. They think six months is too much? Shows you what their mentality is: their shit doesn't stink and the victim holds little to no value compared to 'precious'.

As narcissistic failures themselves... the parents failed the fast swimmer and so have the courts who, tragically, have placed extra value on this worm's life. If this was an impoverished young black male... I don't think the sentence would have looked the same.

F**king pisses me off.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I was working at a job and not long after Kobe Bryant was accused of rape, one of the bosses showed up wearing a "Free Kobe" t-shirt. I suppose the good news - everyone who worked there (male and female) was appalled. But because he was the boss, no one said anything. (He's a parent. Ugh.)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

PJPOWER said:

Are we avoiding the "psychotic" realm of the conversation? A person that does something like this is probably a sociopath. It requires lack of empathy, disregard of the wellbeing of others, etc to be able to follow through with this type of behavior...textbook. I do not think this is a gender problem, but this dude probably does not fit the definition of a well functioning person. Just because a person is born a male does not automatically give them rape tendencies. Again, I feel that people need to be more aware that there are people like this out there.
    I saw a humorous video the other day of a person getting his leg humped by a dog while he was passed out drunk on a sidewalk... The likelihood of getting humped by either a dog or a psychopath increases dramatically if you pass out drunk in a place you probably should not pass out drunk. Dogs and sickos are everywhere... Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Not saying it's acceptable, but it is reality.

I disagree. you don't have to be psychotic or a sociopath to be a rapist. some people are just brought up to not respect others/boundaries, whether it's other men, other women, children, property, whatever.

I think that in order to rape someone, there is something wrong with you. Rape is not a lapse in judgement or knowledge... it's a cold, callous act that requires a lack of empathy and a sinister dark side.
    well, without making it into a cartoonish villain like in your last adjective, I'd say I agree that there is something wrong with the person. but the person was brought up that way. or something happened to them for them to become that way. I don't believe it is a mental illness of any kind. it's not even sexual to the predator. it's violence, it's power. some shitheads go around beating up people, some shitheads beat their wives, some shitheads beat their kids. other shitheads rape/sexually abuse women.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonist said:

The piece of shit dragged her to the dumpster.

Not only speaks of a lack of humaneness but also of anger and power. The fact that he "used" an object (and what, he dug into or around the dumpster improv-style for something adequate or was he prepared?) vs himself...ah Freud, bet you'd have much to say about that.

True, some of those traits can be innate but are generally learned whether by experience (the abused goes on to abuse) or by example.

No matter, no excuse.

did he? I wasn't sure how it happened. did she pass out there? did he drag her there? I didn't read how they ended up there. man, this story just keeps getting worse. in the back of my mind, I'm always trying to think of the good in people, and maybe, maybe they were getting it on consensually and then she passed out or something of that nature. but after everything I've read, and the account of the Swedes, this guy really is a piece of excrement.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Enkidu said:

I was working at a job and not long after Kobe Bryant was accused of rape, one of the bosses showed up wearing a "Free Kobe" t-shirt. I suppose the good news - everyone who worked there (male and female) was appalled. But because he was the boss, no one said anything. (He's a parent. Ugh.)

But he was good at basketball. What don't you understand?
    :lol:
    Agree, it is totally disgusting. :rage:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122

Spoiled rotten little shit never learned responsibility. He learned narcissism. They think six months is too much? Shows you what their mentality is: their shit doesn't stink and the victim holds little to no value compared to 'precious'.

As narcissistic failures themselves... the parents failed the fast swimmer and so have the courts who, tragically, have placed extra value on this worm's life. If this was an impoverished young black male... I don't think the sentence would have looked the same.

F**king pisses me off.

I totally agree.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

PJPOWER said:

well, without making it into a cartoonish villain like in your last adjective, I'd say I agree that there is something wrong with the person. but the person was brought up that way. or something happened to them for them to become that way. I don't believe it is a mental illness of any kind. it's not even sexual to the predator. it's violence, it's power. some shitheads go around beating up people, some shitheads beat their wives, some shitheads beat their kids. other shitheads rape/sexually abuse women.
    Not saying mentally ill. Just saying f**ked in the head- just like the others you have described here: criminals.

Regardless of how they came to be... once they cross the line... f**k 'em.
  • Options

rapists are bred, not born. claiming anything to the contrary, in my opinion, is ludicrous. respecting women is the responsibility of your parents, not your genes.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/apr/09/risk-of-sex-offending-linked-to-genetic-factors-study-finds
  • Options

rapists are bred, not born. claiming anything to the contrary, in my opinion, is ludicrous. respecting women is the responsibility of your parents, not your genes.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/apr/09/risk-of-sex-offending-linked-to-genetic-factors-study-finds
    fair enough. but it's one study. to prove such links, several studies with the same findings are needed.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I also find their hypotheses regarding envinronmental factors to be highly suppositional flawed:

To demonstrate this, they considered the case of maternal half-brothers (typically brought up in the same family home) and paternal half-brothers (who normally live with different mothers). If environmental factors were largely responsible, a much higher risk would be expected in maternal half-brothers whose siblings had committed crimes. But both groups were roughly twice as likely to offend if their half-sibling had previously committed a sexual offence. The link was also about half as strong as for full siblings, again supporting the idea that genetic factors were more powerful.

using words like "typically" when describing portions of their findings is suspect at best. it's painting with a broad brush that shows an assumption, not actualy hard data.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

fair enough. but it's one study. to prove such links, several studies with the same findings are needed.
    That's true.
    I was just pointing out that the idea of it is not as abstract as some are making it out to be.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539

PJ_Soul said:

You are just not understanding what I am saying at all.

I am. I'm understanding.
    You're not if you're asking me if I understand that the majority of men don't hurt women.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited June 2016

Jeff Martin of the Tea Party is a big supporter of the White Ribbon campaign, which is an organization of men that stand up against domestic violence against women. This the kind of thing PJ_Soul is referring to, I believe.

The thing is, the message gets taken more seriously, rightly or wrongly, when it is the group that is the most likely to be the perpetrators that are standing up against the crime.

I agree with PJ_Soul that it should be the father's responsibility, to a larger extent, to teach the sons how to treat women properly. the message might get lost easier or dismissed entirely when it comes from someone who may have a less objective view on the subjet matter.

It is a father's responsibility and a mother's of course, but yes, the White Ribbon thing is one of the kinds of things I'm referring to. It's also all other men's responsibilty, not just dads and their own sons. I am not talking about how individuals are raised in the home. I am talking about an actual male movement against male violence. This should be something broght into education systems, something pushed by male politicians, by the media, by male spokespeople, through charity organizations, rallies, etc etc etc. There needs to be a real male movement against male violence against women (and male violence in general) around the world. It is a worldwide human rights crisis, and a health and safety crisis, and only men truly working together in a directed way will ever fix it. That very much includes governments.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

That's true.
    I was just pointing out that the idea of it is not as abstract as some are making it out to be.
    and thanks for that, I had never heard of that before.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

You are just not understanding what I am saying at all.

I am. I'm understanding.
    You're not if you're asking me if I understand that the majority of men don't hurt women.
    Rhetorical.

And asking that question as I did was in a different context.

It doesn't matter. We're dissecting the issue, but ultimately on the same side.
  • Options
    Someone just posted this on FB. If you remember, Stanford rapist boy said he'd never done any partying and was overwhelmed by the party/alcohol culture at Stanford.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a45695/brock-turner-previous-arrest/?mag=esq&list=nl_enl_news&src=nl&date=061016
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    so ... is there ANY chance this guy's sentence increases somehow? ... the prosecutors should appeal also the sentencing ...
  • Options
    Enkidu said:

Someone just posted this on FB. If you remember, Stanford rapist boy said he'd never done any partying and was overwhelmed by the party/alcohol culture at Stanford.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a45695/brock-turner-previous-arrest/?mag=esq&list=nl_enl_news&src=nl&date=061016

Not surprising.

What is also not surprising is how much of a rodent this guy looks like. Poor little rodent unable to have any rib eyes for a few more months.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    polaris_x said:

so ... is there ANY chance this guy's sentence increases somehow? ... the prosecutors should appeal also the sentencing ...

I don't think that's even possible. I think it would be a form of double-jeopardy. The only way he's getting more time is for another crime.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

polaris_x said:

I don't think that's even possible. I think it would be a form of double-jeopardy. The only way he's getting more time is for another crime.
    I wonder how long that will take.
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

polaris_x said:

can't prosecutors appeal the sentence?
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    polaris_x said:

OnWis97 said:

polaris_x said:

I know appellate courts can vacate judgments, and/or vacate sentences, but I don't know under what circumstances they can do this. If a sentence is vacated, they can pass it back down to the court and have another judge involved in the re-sentencing. Any lawyers on the train?
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I love how jurors are refusing to serve under the judge.
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

polaris_x said:

OnWis97 said:

polaris_x said:

I know appellate courts can vacate judgments, and/or vacate sentences, but I don't know under what circumstances they can do this. If a sentence is vacated, they can pass it back down to the court and have another judge involved in the re-sentencing. Any lawyers on the train?
    did some reading ... looks like there is like no chance his sentence will get harsher ... also, the judge presided over a domestic violence case recently and also gave a light sentence stating concerns that the man in that case may be inconvenienced from going to work ... brutal ...
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Enkidu said:

Not surprising.

What is also not surprising is how much of a rodent this guy looks like. Poor little rodent unable to have any rib eyes for a few more months.
    If there's any cosmic justice this little rat will get plenty of meat in his 3 months
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735

The father has a huge role in his son's character development. So does the mother. So does his peer influences. So does every other aspect of society.

It's irrelevant. We are going to fail with some individuals. Some men are going to become violent and murder someone or rape someone or beat someone senseless... for kicks.

Coming back to my original point which others have expressed as well: in light of our impending failures... I choose to safeguard my daughter from being left vulnerable to a mutant. If she was ever raped... I would not say, "What the f**k were you doing?" I would attribute 100% of the blame on the rapist... and... then I'd go kill him or at least bash his face in.

My comments are intended to support women... not blame them. The comments are rooted in reality and pragmatic in nature. I'd love for a peaceful society where men would respect women- and other men for that matter- and leave each to their own. But I'd be dreaming with my head up my ass if I felt that time was coming anytime soon.

They may from your prospective be meant to support women, but the statement that some men will do it anyway or that a change could happen anytime soon is akin to having your head up your ass cancels out any "supportive" factor.

We aren't saying don't teach your daughter to be safe, every parent should teach all of their children to be safe. We are saying pull your head out of your ass and stand up and try to make that change happen sooner and then you won't have to worry so much about your daughter, granddaughter, etc.. What you stated above is pretty much just like saying boys will be boys, and that is the problem. But if you aren't ready to see it that way then ok, we will keep trying and maybe the next generation will get.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I read that under California law, he should have gotten more prison time because he was convicted of 3 felonies. I think the minimum is 2 years. But the law allows the judge discretion when there are extenuating circumstances. In other words, the judge didn't act contrary to the law. So prosecutors have said there are no grounds for them to appeal the sentence. Regardless of the outcome of his appeal, he won't get a tougher sentence.

Also, he will serve 50% of his sentence unless he gets into some serious trouble behind bars, possibly less than that. He should be out in September.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."