Options

Stanford rapist

Comments

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I agree about the sentence not being changed. Even though that makes me a little sick.

And this made me a little sick too. http://deadstate.org/brock-turners-dad-launched-a-fundraiser-for-supporters-to-help-pay-for-his-sons-legal-fees/
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    polaris_x said:

i think it would be an important message on responsible drinking ... but how many stories out there involving tragic consequences involve excessive drinking!?? ... too many ...

I think the more important message is DONT RAPE conscious or unconscious women. SIMPLE.
    if you see a body just lying somewhere assume they need help, not violation.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

polaris_x said:

i think it would be an important message on responsible drinking ... but how many stories out there involving tragic consequences involve excessive drinking!?? ... too many ...

I think the more important message is DONT RAPE conscious or unconscious women. SIMPLE.

Sad that this has to be a message on responsible drinking instead of don't fucking rape people.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

polaris_x said:

Sad that this has to be a message on responsible drinking instead of don't fucking rape people.
    but it doesnt have to be and it shouldn't be. whats sad is that there are people out there that see a person in a vulnerable position and think its ok to violate them. i suspect the average person just expects a hangover after drinking to excess, nothing more.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Enkidu said:

I agree about the sentence not being changed. Even though that makes me a little sick.

And this made me a little sick too. http://deadstate.org/brock-turners-dad-launched-a-fundraiser-for-supporters-to-help-pay-for-his-sons-legal-fees/

A little sick? It's projectile vomit inducing.

polaris_x said:

What's sad is that a few people have made about responsible drinking and not DON'T FUCKING RAPE PEOPLE!
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    People are saying be careful.

People are saying if you get totally shitfaced, that might not work out so great given there are f**king scumbags out there that will rape you... and worse if in the hands of an extreme sociopath.

Do people think we should not educate our daughters on the importance of exercising caution when out? Go ahead with your daughters if that's what you think, but I understand that no matter how much we try and educate men... there are going to be several that are numb to such messages. And as such, as sad as this might be, I will teach my daughter to be careful.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Thirty, I know where your heart lies and that you're one of the good fathers out there.

But, unfortunately, no matter how careful a woman will be, no matter how many lessons and talks, no matter how many precautions taken, there are still fuckers who will find a way around.

This piece of shit just had it made easier for him. If not this poor young woman, then another; matter of time.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Thirty, I know where your heart lies and that you're one of the good fathers out there.

But, unfortunately, no matter how careful a woman will be, no matter how many lessons and talks, no matter how many precautions taken, there are still fuckers who will find a way around.

This piece of shit just had it made easier for him. If not this poor young woman, then another; matter of time.

And that's why we should cut his nuts off.

Rapists... murderers... f**k 'em.

But be careful of them. Take precautions so you don't leave yourself vulnerable.

This incident was not her fault. The fault lies completely with the fast swimmer. But as we acknowledge that... let's move forward educating our young women that not all guys are going to be like your dad and brothers and help you when you need help. Some are going to spring fangs and hurt you.

F**king horrendous reality, but it's reality.
  • Options
    Poor baby needs special protection in the po-po.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

I find it rich (not to mention insulting) when rape is referred to as "sexual assault".

I actually thought they were different offenses. rape being actual force able sexual intercourse, sexual assault being unwanted sexual advances via other means (touching, fingering, etc).
    But she was raped, not sexually assaulted. This backtracking idiot letter-writer referred to it as such.
    was she? I'm not saying you are incorrect, I'm just saying I didn't read anything that suggested he had intercourse with her. I thought it was all digital stuff.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Oh hell, Hugh. I suppose I missed that. And it actually makes this that much worse.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Oh hell, Hugh. I suppose I missed that. And it actually makes this that much worse.

why is it worse?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

hedonist said:

why is it worse?
    I think she's saying 'it's worse' because, in effect, he played with her like she was a toy.

A foul human being. Absolutely foul.
  • Options

hedonist said:

why is it worse?
    I think she's saying 'it's worse' because, in effect, he played with her like she was a toy.

Yes, this.

To me, it takes rape to a whole other level (as if it could be).
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    The reason we are able to read the documents like his letter to the judge prior to sentencing, his dad's, grandparents', and friends' letters, is because he is appealing. They become public record. So I've been appalled and fascinated at the hand wringing over poor, poor Brock. But although his dad's letter is ludicrous in a sick way (poor guy can't enjoy his steak anymore!), Brock's letter to the judge just disgusts me. As the victim said, the only thing he admits to is drinking too much. There is not the least sense of remorse. It amounts to his being upset that he got caught. And none of the other letters acknowledge that he was CONVICTED BY A JURY. It must be hard to admit that your friend or family member committed a crime but these people sound like they live in another universe.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

polaris_x said:

sorry ... i didn't get that message at all during this whole thing ... now, I do - thanks for making me realize that is all that needs to be discussed in this case ...
  • Options
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

why is it worse?

Yes, this.

To me, it takes rape to a whole other level (as if it could be).
    blech. now that it's put that way...... :sick:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515

People are saying if you get totally shitfaced, that might not work out so great given there are f**king scumbags out there that will rape you... and worse if in the hands of an extreme sociopath.

Do people think we should not educate our daughters on the importance of exercising caution when out? Go ahead with your daughters if that's what you think, but I understand that no matter how much we try and educate men... there are going to be several that are numb to such messages. And as such, as sad as this might be, I will teach my daughter to be careful.

People seem to this think this is MORE important than teaching their sons anything, or at least that how people act. That is the problem. The woman's behaviour invariably becomes a focus of conversation, just like it has here, and the discussion that really has to be had - the one that MEN have to have about themselves and each other - never seems to really materialize. Let alone any actual action on any level. That is what the problem is.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

People seem to this think this is MORE important than teaching their sons anything, or at least that how people act. That is the problem. The woman's behaviour invariably becomes a focus of conversation, just like it has here, and the discussion that really has to be had - the one that MEN have to have about themselves and each other - never seems to really materialize. Let alone any actual action on any level. That is what the problem is.

This, so hard!
    If we are going to teach our daughters to be safe then there has to be just as much focus on teaching the sons not to be a threat. Until this is the focus the cycle will continue.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

This, so hard!
    If we are going to teach our daughters to be safe then there has to be just as much focus on teaching the sons not to be a threat. Until this is the focus the cycle will continue.
    This is completely ridiculous and untrue.
    Teaching sons not to be a threat? Really?
    "Hey son, don't be a threat to a woman when you get older....",
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    It's so tough - I have a son and a daughter. I'd like to think my husband and I brought up our son to respect women. And would never, ever think of taking advantage of (raping) an unconscious woman. That's sort of like - duh. Of course that's how we raised him.

I have heard too many stories from friends about daughters being raped at college (mostly when the girls were very drunk) - ugh, how are boys/men brought up to think that is okay? To take advantage of a very drunk or unconscious woman?

(And yes, we have tried to teach our daughter to be smart and to be cautious.)

Did anyone else here read the Jon Krakauer book Missoula about rape on a college campus? It was very good. But depressing.
  • Options
    ^^^
    Anyone who does this to a woman is missing a part of their brain and will never be right for the rest of their life. So have a talk about respecting women but to include advice on how not to be a threat - dumb.
  • Options

^^^
    Anyone who does this to a woman is missing a part of their brain and will never be right for the rest of their life. So have a talk about respecting women but to include advice on how not to be a threat - dumb.

What part of your brain is missing?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

This, so hard!
    Talk about dumb...

How is it "ridiculous and untrue"? I know there are many good and conscientious fathers out there, but also are many who perpetuate the mindset of the father of the fast swimmer. It IS incumbent on them - as a parent (so I extend this to mothers as well) - to teach respect, boundaries, not taking advantage. Have integrity and be a decent human being, even when no one is looking you won't get caught for acting like an animal.
  • Options

^^^

No it's true.
    You can't unteach a rapist.
    A person is going to rape or not.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

^^^

No it's true.
    That might be the single most retarded thing I've ever heard here. Congrats on being the internets biggest troll. Fucking serious?
  • Options

^^^

No it's true.
    From the get-go? Nature or nurture, or both?

Just throw up your hands and say, "oh, my son - he's just a rapist!"

Am I reading you wrong? Hope so.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

This, so hard!
    Pretty much, teach them that attacking a woman in any way is as bad or worse than killing someone, because it is. You probably don't see it that way which is a big part of the problem. You see a still alive person going through the motions but who that woman was or could have been is forever gone. Killed by the actions of a self entitled man, whom society will say 'you shouldn't have done that' to but will always ask what was she doing, what did she do, what didn't she do, women should be more careful.....
    Women shouldn't have to be more careful is the whole fucking point and if you can't see that then you are part of the problem. Until the sons of the world are raised to understand that they deserve to go to jail, be shunned by society and ostracized if they choose, and it is ALWAYS a choice, to violate a woman then they we will not see a change in the actions of men.
    Also FYI I have the same feelings and ideas for women who choose to violate a man as well. There is never any excuse for any of it.

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2016
    hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

This, so hard!
    Talk about dumb...

How is it "ridiculous and untrue"? I know there are many good and conscientious fathers out there, but also are many who perpetuate the mindset of the father of the fast swimmer. It IS incumbent on them - as a parent (so I extend this to mothers as well) - to teach respect, boundaries, not taking advantage. Have integrity and be a decent human being, even when no one is looking you won't get caught for acting like an animal.
    This is basic human empathy and compassion.
    Some are born with it some are not.
    Evolution leaves some black sheep.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2016
    hedonist said:

^^^

No it's true.
    From the get-go? Nature or nurture, or both?

Just throw up your hands and say, "oh, my son - he's just a rapist!"

Am I reading you wrong? Hope so.
    No parent would ever throw up their hands and say that.
    They would be the first to lead them to the courtroom and be judged.
    You can't correct that kind of sickness and filth, it is too deep in their brain - (think murderers who derive pleasure from it), no different.
    Parents don'tr prevent a rapist or murderer.