Options

Animals in Captivity

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    edited June 2016
    polaris_x said:

I get what is being said, though, polaris. it's an interesting thought, though. how can anything we do NOT be considered natural? just because we consume more than we need, doesn't mean it's not natural. it's part of our UNFORTUNATE evolution into who we are.

there are many species of animal that doesn't use up every part of their kill. is that not considered selfish or wasteful if it was to be anthropomorphised? if that's even a word. but I think you get what I mean.

I don't think they are making excuses, I think they are just stating things are they currently are. they aren't saying "let's cut down more forests! it's in our nature to do so!". it's just stating a fact of what is currently going on.

i would hope we are not debating whether the tern natural is proper or not ... it's semantics that really has no bearing on the issue whatsoever ... i could care less if they want to call global warming part of evolution ...

the crux of the discussion for me has always been, for the most part, whether or not the survival of a species is more important than the life of a child ... what i'm getting from them is that species come and go and that losing gorillas is no big deal ...

as for your example of animals not using every part of the kill ... remember there are scavengers in the ecosystem too ... so, often a lion may leave a portion of a kill when it is full in order for scavengers to finish the rest ...

life on this planet is predicated on a balance of sorts ... the more we throw things out of whack - the more likely we are to cause major catastrophes (see global warming) ...
    fair enough.

would you choose your child/parent/spouse over species survival?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

polaris_x said:

I get what is being said, though, polaris. it's an interesting thought, though. how can anything we do NOT be considered natural? just because we consume more than we need, doesn't mean it's not natural. it's part of our UNFORTUNATE evolution into who we are.

there are many species of animal that doesn't use up every part of their kill. is that not considered selfish or wasteful if it was to be anthropomorphised? if that's even a word. but I think you get what I mean.

I don't think they are making excuses, I think they are just stating things are they currently are. they aren't saying "let's cut down more forests! it's in our nature to do so!". it's just stating a fact of what is currently going on.

i would hope we are not debating whether the tern natural is proper or not ... it's semantics that really has no bearing on the issue whatsoever ... i could care less if they want to call global warming part of evolution ...

the crux of the discussion for me has always been, for the most part, whether or not the survival of a species is more important than the life of a child ... what i'm getting from them is that species come and go and that losing gorillas is no big deal ...

as for your example of animals not using every part of the kill ... remember there are scavengers in the ecosystem too ... so, often a lion may leave a portion of a kill when it is full in order for scavengers to finish the rest ...

life on this planet is predicated on a balance of sorts ... the more we throw things out of whack - the more likely we are to cause major catastrophes (see global warming) ...
    fair enough.

would you choose your child/parent/spouse over species survival?
    there's a book out there called the "book of questions" and it often has these kinds of moral dilemmas ...

honestly, i'm not sure ... i would easily sacrifice my life for the survival of a species ... i would also sacrifice my partner's life as well because she shares my values ... i don't have children and the difficulty i would have there is that I wouldn't ask a child who hasn't had a chance to consider the circumstances to make a decision like that or be part of my decision ... of course, this is the rational and objective person speaking ... good possibility it will change if the hypothetical somehow played out ...

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    polaris_x said:

I have no issue with a species going extinct as long as it wasn't human-caused. actually, I'd even go so far as to say we shouldn't interfere in natural extinction.

I'm of the opinion that even if humans are 100% the cause l, it's still natural selection.
    I feel the exact same way. PJ_Soul said above "Actually most of the species that have gone extinct in the past couple hundred years would probably be absolutely thriving if not for humans interfering." Well, there were probably many species that went extinct because a smarter or stronger species came along and wiped them out.
    there is an irony here in that you guys are interpreting darwin theory as an excuse for our impact on the planet yet fail to recognize that core to darwin's theory of evolution is that we are all interconnected ... and that if we fail to protect the balances that maintain life on this planet - we not only doom the life of those we consider expendable but of ourselves ...
    I most certainly am not failing to recognize it. I believe in evolution 100% and believe that everything is interconnected. I just also believe that regardless of the manner of extinction, it's still natural selection. The strong survive. Who knkws, maybe one day a species will find a way around out weapons and hunt us.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

And my answer is still the life of my species is more important than any other species.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited June 2016

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

as expected, i see no one wanted to tackle my point about how we let children die daily because of the choices we make ... it's funny how so many people find it incredulous that the survival of a species can be deemed more important than the life of one single child ...

I think we let children die daily because of the mistakes we make. And I'm just not on your side of the fence with the whole "survival of a species" thing. Species go extinct. That's evolution...baby. If there was one female of a species left on earth. And humans transported that female to where there is a male so they could procreate, wouldn't that be an example of humans interfering with nature?
    i thought we've moved past the legitimacy of the question ... the question, as it was perceived to me, is about the value of maintaining a species vs. the life of one child ... the semantics of the hypothetical were ignored ... obviously, if there is only one female left - the species is essentially extinct unless some males become females ... which i guess only happens in fish maybe ... in any case - my position is in the value of not allowing species to go extinct vs. the life of a child ...

do you understand the concepts of biodiversity? how ecosystems work? and/or tipping points? ... this is not meant to be facetious but simply a question to determine if you understand what it means for species to go extinct and it's consequences to everything else ... also, gorillas are endangered in this world because of one singular entity ... humans ... that's not evolution ...

lastly, we let children die because of our selfish choices and our ignorance ... it's not just mistakes ... it's about continuing to live in a world where it is acceptable to exploit childhood labour and kid soldiers ... it's easy to disassociate ourselves from that but the truth is that by supporting the global economy particularly here in north america as we do - we affect the lives of many children around the world ...
    I don't understand why you're discounting humans as part of the natural selection process.
    because it allows lazy people to simply say that everything is part of the evolutionary cycle ... that there is no accountability in our actions as humans and that everything we do good or bad is all part of something that is inevitable ...

we aren't killing off habitat and species because we need to survive ... we are doing it because we are greedy, selfish and stupid ...
    Humans and everything humans do, for whatever the reason, are part of the evolutionary process. If gorillas could build homes, buildings, and had a concept of money, do you not think they'd do the same thing? Of course they would. Natural selection still applies.
    you correlate natural selection with greed ... there is no literature to suggest any linkage ... surviving does not mean excess ... a whale will stop eating once it is full ... humans on the other hand ...

so, what's your position then? that because humans can control the fate of much life on the planet - that it is ok to continue to lose species and pollute/destroy habitat?
    Somebody earlier stated that human greed either caused or contributed to species extinction. I'm not correlating the 2.

It's irrelevant to me why a species goes extinct. It's all natural selection.
    why is it irrelevant? ... if i kill your mother because she has food i want to eat - that's natural selection no?
    What are the circumstances? Is the world under attack by some mutant disease that turns everyone into zombies and you are trying to survive?

If not, I'd say you murdered her because you didn't prepare yourself enough in life to acquire and retain a job.
    According to your own theory, it doesn't matter why we murder someone. Whether we murder someone out of self-defense, hunger, to make ashtrays out of their hands, serving utensils out of their bones, vests out of their skin... It's still all just natural selection since all human behaviour is "natural".

polaris_x said:

I have no issue with a species going extinct as long as it wasn't human-caused. actually, I'd even go so far as to say we shouldn't interfere in natural extinction.

I'm of the opinion that even if humans are 100% the cause l, it's still natural selection.
    I feel the exact same way. PJ_Soul said above "Actually most of the species that have gone extinct in the past couple hundred years would probably be absolutely thriving if not for humans interfering." Well, there were probably many species that went extinct because a smarter or stronger species came along and wiped them out.
    there is an irony here in that you guys are interpreting darwin theory as an excuse for our impact on the planet yet fail to recognize that core to darwin's theory of evolution is that we are all interconnected ... and that if we fail to protect the balances that maintain life on this planet - we not only doom the life of those we consider expendable but of ourselves ...
    I most certainly am not failing to recognize it. I believe in evolution 100% and believe that everything is interconnected. I just also believe that regardless of the manner of extinction, it's still natural selection. The strong survive. Who knkws, maybe one day a species will find a way around out weapons and hunt us.
    No, some kind of virus or bacteria will find its way around out medicine and wipe us out.... because doctors overprescribe antibiotics and people use disinfectants unnecessarily..... Penicillin and Lysol. So natural! ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

as expected, i see no one wanted to tackle my point about how we let children die daily because of the choices we make ... it's funny how so many people find it incredulous that the survival of a species can be deemed more important than the life of one single child ...

I think we let children die daily because of the mistakes we make. And I'm just not on your side of the fence with the whole "survival of a species" thing. Species go extinct. That's evolution...baby. If there was one female of a species left on earth. And humans transported that female to where there is a male so they could procreate, wouldn't that be an example of humans interfering with nature?
    i thought we've moved past the legitimacy of the question ... the question, as it was perceived to me, is about the value of maintaining a species vs. the life of one child ... the semantics of the hypothetical were ignored ... obviously, if there is only one female left - the species is essentially extinct unless some males become females ... which i guess only happens in fish maybe ... in any case - my position is in the value of not allowing species to go extinct vs. the life of a child ...

do you understand the concepts of biodiversity? how ecosystems work? and/or tipping points? ... this is not meant to be facetious but simply a question to determine if you understand what it means for species to go extinct and it's consequences to everything else ... also, gorillas are endangered in this world because of one singular entity ... humans ... that's not evolution ...

lastly, we let children die because of our selfish choices and our ignorance ... it's not just mistakes ... it's about continuing to live in a world where it is acceptable to exploit childhood labour and kid soldiers ... it's easy to disassociate ourselves from that but the truth is that by supporting the global economy particularly here in north america as we do - we affect the lives of many children around the world ...
    I don't understand why you're discounting humans as part of the natural selection process.
    because it allows lazy people to simply say that everything is part of the evolutionary cycle ... that there is no accountability in our actions as humans and that everything we do good or bad is all part of something that is inevitable ...

we aren't killing off habitat and species because we need to survive ... we are doing it because we are greedy, selfish and stupid ...
    Humans and everything humans do, for whatever the reason, are part of the evolutionary process. If gorillas could build homes, buildings, and had a concept of money, do you not think they'd do the same thing? Of course they would. Natural selection still applies.
    you correlate natural selection with greed ... there is no literature to suggest any linkage ... surviving does not mean excess ... a whale will stop eating once it is full ... humans on the other hand ...

so, what's your position then? that because humans can control the fate of much life on the planet - that it is ok to continue to lose species and pollute/destroy habitat?
    Somebody earlier stated that human greed either caused or contributed to species extinction. I'm not correlating the 2.

why is it irrelevant? ... if i kill your mother because she has food i want to eat - that's natural selection no?
    What are the circumstances? Is the world under attack by some mutant disease that turns everyone into zombies and you are trying to survive?

If not, I'd say you murdered her because you didn't prepare yourself enough in life to acquire and retain a job.
    According to your own theory, it doesn't matter why we murder someone. Whether we murder someone out of self-defense, hunger, to make ashtrays out of their hands, serving utensils out of their bones, vests out of their skin... It's still all just natural selection since all human behaviour is "natural".

polaris_x said:

No, some kind of virus or bacteria will find its way around out medicine and wipe us out.... because doctors overprescribe antibiotics and people use disinfectants unnecessarily..... Penicillin and Lysol. So natural! ;)
    It's not my own theory and I do not to believe to be contradicting. I stated in a later post that you still would have to face the consequences of your actions.

• Options
    Seems like, under the premise of natural selection, they should have let the gorilla kill that kid rather than intervening and stopping nature from taking its course. If we shouldn't intervene to save a species, why should we intervene to save a kid who fell into a gorilla pit? ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Seems like, under the premise of natural selection, they should have let the gorilla kill that kid rather than intervening and stopping nature from taking its course. If we shouldn't intervene to save a species, why should we intervene to save a kid who fell into a gorilla pit? ;)

Because it's our species.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Haha. You speak as if humans always look out for the lives of other humans. Reality couldn't be farther from the truth. It's just that in your opinion, gorillas aren't as important as money, drugs, blood lust, or power.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

Have you ever compared life expectancies for humans prior to the advancements we have made fighting all those bugs?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Haha. You speak as if humans always look out for the lives of other humans. Reality couldn't be farther from the truth. It's just that in your opinion, gorillas aren't as important as money, drugs, blood lust, or power.
    That's quite a leap you just made. But that's the exact reason the gorilla was killed. Because it was a human child.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

That's quite a leap you just made. But that's the exact reason the gorilla was killed. Because it was a human child.
    We've been talking beyond that one kid and the actual incident for a while now, so I don't think it was much of a leap.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    lukin2006 said:

polaris_x said:

I agree with you Polaris ... Are you talking economic choices? Do you have a solution?
    We all know answers to that question.
    Stop voting for leaders who campaign on promises of foreign invasions, stop turning off analytical thought every time someone waves a flag and shouts about "the troops", work much harder on maintaining a cleaner and less wasteful lifestyle, blather on and care much less about having the freedom to do and have asinine unneeded things when there are millions of children without food, shoes, clean water...be less fucking greedy, etc etc.

There is a poster who rarely comes into the train who posted that they make all their political choices based off how the leaders will effect their own wallet.
    Basically, become the antithesis of that, and we are headed in the right direction.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,105
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Hahahahaha ok this is awesome!!! Little kid = money, drugs, blood lust, and power!!!

People really are taking this to a whole new level
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Hahahahaha ok this is awesome!!! Little kid = money, drugs, blood lust, and power!!!

People really are taking this to a whole new level
    ?? I didn't say little kid = money, drugs, Blood list and power. I think you missed my point if that's what you think I said.
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

hedonist said:

rollings is a lovely chica, Thirty :)

(and she'd hang with - possibly rule - the slappers!)

Sooo...

We're essentially shaping up like the Scooby Doo/ Mystery Machine outfit?

If people start taking us not very serious... we'll have to reevaluate.
    tell me about these slappers please. I love to slap and the sounds of slapping
  • Options
    rollings said:

hedonist said:

rollings is a lovely chica, Thirty :)

(and she'd hang with - possibly rule - the slappers!)

Sooo...

We're essentially shaping up like the Scooby Doo/ Mystery Machine outfit?

If people start taking us not very serious... we'll have to reevaluate.
    tell me about these slappers please. I love to slap and the sounds of slapping
    Okay listen.

Read the Yellowstone thread. This will give you some context for this endeavour dedicated to the service of humanity.

After that, if you feel you're up for it... we'll bring you up to the big leagues based on Hedo's promotion of you.

But as I said before... you better know how to give a good slap. Not one of those run-of-the-mill, everyday, routine slaps... but a whopper. A real zinger.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    The problem with our species is we a
    rgambs said:

lukin2006 said:

polaris_x said:

I agree with you Polaris ... Are you talking economic choices? Do you have a solution?
    We all know answers to that question.
    Stop voting for leaders who campaign on promises of foreign invasions, stop turning off analytical thought every time someone waves a flag and shouts about "the troops", work much harder on maintaining a cleaner and less wasteful lifestyle, blather on and care much less about having the freedom to do and have asinine unneeded things when there are millions of children without food, shoes, clean water...be less fucking greedy, etc etc.

There is a poster who rarely comes into the train who posted that they make all their political choices based off how the leaders will effect their own wallet.
    Basically, become the antithesis of that, and we are headed in the right direction.
    Very well said ... For one and I've stated it here before ... I don't vote in provincial or federal elections ... In my opinion the game is rigged ... I don't believe a true democracy happens just because we get to vote every 4 years, I am a strong believer in referendums, but I do vote in municipal elections ... Mainly because I feel mayors and council persons tend to be more accountable or at least in my town I feel my voice is heard.

So when does the burden fall on these countries that allow child labor to develop proper standards ... Both human rights standards as well as standards in the work place?

Believe me I'm no more happy about all our crap being made over seas ... But hey maybe if we had referendums on these free trade deals that your country and mine like to enter into ... Maybe then less would be built overseas. Why don't we have referendums on trade deals?
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

polaris_x said:

And my answer is still the life of my species is more important than any other species.
    that's a completely different discussion ... we are talking the life of a species vs. the life of one child ... pretty sure I know how you're gonna answer ... just clarifying the discussion ...
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Hey, I rarely visit the train, but am interested in this story.
    Have we came to a consensus yet? Are we arguing?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Malroth said:

Not too sure really.

Where are you at with things?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,872

Malroth said:

Not too sure really.

I m still pissed you chose hawaii over New Jersey.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ha, gruff!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Malroth said:

Not too sure really.

I m still pissed you chose hawaii over New Jersey.
    Hahaha
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485

Malroth said:

Not too sure really.

I can usually see things from both sides (except maybe with my wife), so I am not that good at arguing my points.

If you are upset at zoos keeping animals in captivity, are you upset with people keeping pets?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Malroth said:

Malroth said:

Not too sure really.

I can usually see things from both sides (except maybe with my wife), so I am not that good at arguing my points.

If you are upset at zoos keeping animals in captivity, are you upset with people keeping pets?
    Pets are usually domesticated animals that can't live in the wild (or if they do, they suffer), not wild animals, so it's not comparable. I am certainly upset about people keeping non-domesticated animals as pets.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

polaris_x said:

Your species sucks. Virus. Greedy. Wasteful. Evil. and not special.

Thought of starting poll on this.

Choices:

Shoot gorilla

Tranquilize gorilla.

Shoot kid.

Tranquilize kid.

Shoot mother.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

polaris_x said:

Your species sucks. Virus. Greedy. Wasteful. Evil. and not special.

Thought of starting poll on this.

Choices:

Shoot gorilla

Tranquilize gorilla.

Shoot kid.

Tranquilize kid.

Shoot mother.
    I choose 1 and 5.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    Malroth said:

Malroth said:

Not too sure really.

I was thinking about this myself. we got our girls 2 goldfish a while back. My thinking was always these things have a memory span of about half a second, so keeping them in a watery cage really makes no difference. however, after doing some research, goldfish come to recognize their owners (which I can actually attest to), they have about a 3 month short term memory, they can even be taught tricks for fricks sakes. So, yes, even though they are "just" goldfish, I somewhat now regret getting them.

I think having a bird as a pet is one of the cruelest things you can do. clip its wings (or not) and keep it locked up. imagine you had the ability to fly and someone kept you locked up.

having a dog or a cat, not so much. they seem to enjoy the companionship, and as long as you take them outside, I'm sure they are happy. dogs more than cats. I hate that cats are, at least in Winnipeg, not allowed outside unleashed. they are natural roamers. my childhood cats would leave the house and come back a couple days later.

now we have squirrels, crows, and rabbits running the neighbourhood. tell me which are more annoying. cats were natural neighbourhood pest control. "oh, he shit in my garden". yep. but now the rabbits eat all of your flowers and the crows leave behind bunny carcasses. me thinks a little bit of cat shit in the mud ain't such a big problem now, is it?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    edited June 2016

rgambs said:

The answer is incredibly simple.

We DIDN'T evolve from apes, we evolved WITH apes from a long extinct common ancestor.
    That's 5th grade science.

It makes me sad that we push out so much hard won fundamental knowledge for vacuous entertainment, for inane office tasks and career specific information wholly unconnected to the physical existence of our lives.

Not a judgement, I don't mean to insult anyone, it just depresses me. People don't know where they come from, what they are, or where the tools, foods, and energy they use come from.
    Society is in real trouble if life ever gets difficult again.

Since Mr Lux isn't around right now I am doubling down on granola to cover for him!
    :rofl:

well if rollings wanted the simplified answer, then yes, I'm sure most people could answer that without research.

the problem is, people blindly follow Rush and the like and it's dangerous. if you have a platform and spew ignorant views, expect to be called out for it.
    I think specifically that there was a DNA flaw that affected a jaw muscle that runs through the base of the skull. it resulted in a ship-shod flimsy muscle making for a weakling jaw. the crushing action was no longer possible. good thing though cuz it made room for MORE BRAINS