Guitars with temperaments of their own?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
Without getting too metaphysical about it, it sure seems to me that sometimes guitars have a mind or moods of their own. I'm sure most of the time it has more to do with my playing and/or temperature, humidity, spacial factors etc., but sometimes it just seems like (especially with two of my guitars) that they have their own mood swings. At their worst, they can be impossible to coax anything more than rudimentary sound out of and at best are completely forgiving of my limited talents and produce sounds way beyond what I can normally play on an average day.

Anybody else have experiences like that?
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    brianlux said:

Without getting too metaphysical about it, it sure seems to me that sometimes guitars have a mind or moods of their own. I'm sure most of the time it has more to do with my playing and/or temperature, humidity, spacial factors etc., but sometimes it just seems like (especially with two of my guitars) that they have their own mood swings. At their worst, they can be impossible to coax anything more than rudimentary sound out of and at best are completely forgiving of my limited talents and produce sounds way beyond what I can normally play on an average day.

My Les Paul has moods. Sometimes the stupid B string just doesn't stay in tune right. Sometimes she feels super heavy and lethargic. Other times she makes sounds that I've yet to duplicate....
    www.cluthelee.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

brianlux said:

My Les Paul has moods. Sometimes the stupid B string just doesn't stay in tune right. Sometimes she feels super heavy and lethargic. Other times she makes sounds that I've yet to duplicate....
    I have the same problem with the G string on my Martin DX1R. Sometimes it just won't quite tune right. I just let her rest for a while!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited May 2016

brianlux said:

same with mine and the G string, have to retune usually after 3 songs :pensive:
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    My tele plays fine but occasionally tells me to burn things
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

My tele plays fine but occasionally tells me to burn things

haha!!!

My Strat is a bit tempermental at times....
    so I put it in time out.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited May 2016
    My Bass Guitar has a mind of it's own sometimes :tongue: lol
  • rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    brianlux said:

no