what is up with all these hollywood pedos?

24

Comments

  • Jason PJason P Posts: 16,604
    CH156378 said:

    Bob Dylan a "genius"? That is up for debate. I guess I will just enjoy his music and take solice in the fact that at least he isn't a child molester. Woody Allen I have no idea if I've seen his films or not but would feel gross if I did. Dylan albums I am enjoying most right now are Saved, and Slow Train Coming.

    Rolling Stone has him as the 2nd greatest artist, only behind The Beatles! And they also have him as the 7th greatest singer (WTF???) ever!

    rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-19691231/the-beatles-20110420

    rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-singers-of-all-time-19691231/bob-dylan-20101202
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 9,254
    Jason P said:

    CH156378 said:

    Bob Dylan a "genius"? That is up for debate. I guess I will just enjoy his music and take solice in the fact that at least he isn't a child molester. Woody Allen I have no idea if I've seen his films or not but would feel gross if I did. Dylan albums I am enjoying most right now are Saved, and Slow Train Coming.

    Rolling Stone has him as the 2nd greatest artist, only behind The Beatles! And they also have him as the 7th greatest singer (WTF???) ever!

    rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-19691231/the-beatles-20110420

    rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-singers-of-all-time-19691231/bob-dylan-20101202
    Bob Dylan wrote an album worth of songs that tapped into the angst of, and spoke to nearly an entire generation of young people that had never been spoken to so honestly. If that isn't genius, I don't know what is.
    As the article probably mentioned, Dylan changed singing forever, making truth and realism a much bigger part of the picture, which opened the door for singers like Springsteen, Vedder, Cobain, etc
    He also laid the crooners to rest, thank God for that.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 2,476
    Sorry to get off topic. Dylan not a genius? Are you kidding? His peers would laugh.
    Check out this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artists_who_have_covered_Bob_Dylan_songs

  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 9,455
    Jason P said:

    CH156378 said:

    Bob Dylan a "genius"? That is up for debate. I guess I will just enjoy his music and take solice in the fact that at least he isn't a child molester. Woody Allen I have no idea if I've seen his films or not but would feel gross if I did. Dylan albums I am enjoying most right now are Saved, and Slow Train Coming.

    Rolling Stone has him as the 2nd greatest artist, only behind The Beatles! And they also have him as the 7th greatest singer (WTF???) ever!

    rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-19691231/the-beatles-20110420

    rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-singers-of-all-time-19691231/bob-dylan-20101202
    Rolling Stone is a group of antiquated music critics and react to what's new at that moment.
    I've watched the college top 10 lists(not in the mag anymore) and never once have they reported on any of the unknown bands that were selling records, never once put out a review...

  • Jason P said:

    CH156378 said:

    Bob Dylan a "genius"? That is up for debate. I guess I will just enjoy his music and take solice in the fact that at least he isn't a child molester. Woody Allen I have no idea if I've seen his films or not but would feel gross if I did. Dylan albums I am enjoying most right now are Saved, and Slow Train Coming.

    Rolling Stone has him as the 2nd greatest artist, only behind The Beatles! And they also have him as the 7th greatest singer (WTF???) ever!

    rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-19691231/the-beatles-20110420

    rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-singers-of-all-time-19691231/bob-dylan-20101202
    Rolling Stone is a group of antiquated music critics and react to what's new at that moment.
    I've watched the college top 10 lists(not in the mag anymore) and never once have they reported on any of the unknown bands that were selling records, never once put out a review...

    I don't read the magazine any more, but they are definitely not cutting edge.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    edited May 2016
    the genius of Bob Dylan is his live act, I saw him in 97ish at the Del Mar Race Track in San Diego and before hand did not expect much because his last efforts sounded like he was singing thru his nose...but Man he came out with an electric guitar and did a solo that just blew the house away !
    and the rest of the show was awesome as well, when you call a musician "genius" you have to define your meaning of the word, Bob Dylan has a string of hit's a mile long, he is loved and respected by most other musicians and has stayed a music icon for 50 plus years so in that respect...yea I'd call him a genius as well.

    Godfather.
    Post edited by Godfather. on
    it dosen't matter to me what a man dose for a living you understand..
    as long as his interest's don't conflict with mine.
  • I saw him 5 years ago or so and walked out one third of the way through the show.

    No shit.

    Just brutal.

    I realize his time was late 60s early 70s... but terrible. And I've just never dug his awful voice as much as I respect his songwriting.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fieldsPosts: 7,010
    Since this thread has totally derailed . . . :lol:

    I've seen Dylan 3 times: 1974, 1999, 2007. The 2007 show wasn't very good, the 1999 show was excellent, and the 1974 show, when he was touring with The Band, was hands down the best concert I've ever seen. Yes, even better than my many Who shows. Phenomenal, tight, utterly professional performer with the best back up band possible. If you've only seen him in recent years, I understand completely why anyone would think he's a lousy performer. But that first show that I saw--I can't begin to describe how amazing it was.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 2,798
    Man, I've never found the genius in dylan. Can't stand to listen to him. I understand why people like him. But if he's a genius, what's vedder? Or Lennon? Or Hendrix? Gods?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 1,527
    hedonist said:

    hedonist said:

    Thirty, I think she was 13 at the time? Most kids around that age who've been molested or worse won't see themselves as a victim, more as the perpetrator or somehow responsible.

    As to Page...another suspension of disbelief thing, dammit. I don't know but have read some things of him that don't sit well with me. Beyond sitting.

    And yet, I'm a sucker for his music and talent.

    I can't really rationalize or reconcile it.

    I know.

    I'm not defending him although it appears as I am. I've seen her in an interview recently and she spoke to her willingness, eagerness, and complicity. She wanted people to forgive Polanski.

    Jagger liked the young girls too.

    Zeppelin and the Stones are two of my all time favourites.

    I guess I'm compromised?
    No, I know you better than that, no defense on your part.

    And aw hell, the Stones' Stray Cat Blues (another favorite song AND band) speak to that predilection.

    We're all compromised in some way - simply who we are and how we live :) I think just some in ways heavier than others, depending on the road(s) walked.
    Everyone's got a little hypocrite in them. Didn't Pete Townsend get busted for child porn? I think he claimed it was for research or something. I don't remember all the details and I'm reluctant to google the situation since I'm on a work computer and hesitate to search anything that contains "child pornography" in the search title.

    But I've seen them 3 times since that came out and still listen to them. But if it was a band I was on the fence about anyway, I'd totally boycott them!
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 2,476

    Man, I've never found the genius in dylan. Can't stand to listen to him. I understand why people like him. But if he's a genius, what's vedder? Or Lennon? Or Hendrix? Gods?

    Dylan is the God and they are his disciples.

  • eddieceddiec Posts: 2,476
    I remember reading 'Hammer of the Gods' years ago and it covered Page's relationship with that young girl. While they tried to hide the relationship clearly nobody that knew about seemed to care. That was a bit strange.
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevroletPosts: 1,473
    Back to pedophilia please. :wink:
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 1,527
    Malroth said:

    Back to pedophilia please. :wink:

    Bet you thought you'd never say that in your life.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fieldsPosts: 7,010
    mace1229 said:

    Everyone's got a little hypocrite in them. Didn't Pete Townsend get busted for child porn? I think he claimed it was for research or something. I don't remember all the details and I'm reluctant to google the situation since I'm on a work computer and hesitate to search anything that contains "child pornography" in the search title.

    But I've seen them 3 times since that came out and still listen to them. But if it was a band I was on the fence about anyway, I'd totally boycott them!

    He was investigated for downloading child porn. Laws are different in the UK; he wasn't charged, as many people assume. 11 computers were confiscated from his home and no porn was found. The police told him that they deliberately prolonged the investigation so that any possible victims could come forward. None did.

    The point he was trying to make was that credit card companies benefit from people accessing child porn sites, so he logged into a site using his credit card, then logged out. As it turned out, his credit card wasn't charged, although that wasn't determined until much later.

    There's a really succinct description of the story in The Who FAQ.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 1,527

    mace1229 said:

    Everyone's got a little hypocrite in them. Didn't Pete Townsend get busted for child porn? I think he claimed it was for research or something. I don't remember all the details and I'm reluctant to google the situation since I'm on a work computer and hesitate to search anything that contains "child pornography" in the search title.

    But I've seen them 3 times since that came out and still listen to them. But if it was a band I was on the fence about anyway, I'd totally boycott them!

    He was investigated for downloading child porn. Laws are different in the UK; he wasn't charged, as many people assume. 11 computers were confiscated from his home and no porn was found. The police told him that they deliberately prolonged the investigation so that any possible victims could come forward. None did.

    The point he was trying to make was that credit card companies benefit from people accessing child porn sites, so he logged into a site using his credit card, then logged out. As it turned out, his credit card wasn't charged, although that wasn't determined until much later.

    There's a really succinct description of the story in The Who FAQ.
    Thank you for clarifying.It had been a long time since I read any details about it. I wanted to read about it....but as I mentioned didn't want to conduct that search on my work computer.

    Still a pretty dumb thing to do with your credit card though.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fieldsPosts: 7,010
    mace1229 said:

    Thank you for clarifying.It had been a long time since I read any details about it. I wanted to read about it....but as I mentioned didn't want to conduct that search on my work computer.

    Still a pretty dumb thing to do with your credit card though.

    Hell yeah. :lol:

    The events happened a year or two before he was investigated, like in 1998-99. Using the internet was still new for a lot of people.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 37,159
    edited May 2016

    As intolerant as I am of the creeps we refer to in this thread... I always pause when discussing Polanski.

    His ordeal before his discretion was out of this world and not that it is an excuse, but his 'victim' doesn't claim to be a victim.

    Led Zeppelin dominates the Lounge thread. Do people know Page and Plant's history?

    I agree. That is my outlook when it comes to Polanski. He wasn't a predator. It was a different time in a different world with a willing participant who is not a victim. I don't care about the Polanski thing at all. And I love his movies.
    Woody Allen appears to be a sicko though (he also makes good movies).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

    As intolerant as I am of the creeps we refer to in this thread... I always pause when discussing Polanski.

    His ordeal before his discretion was out of this world and not that it is an excuse, but his 'victim' doesn't claim to be a victim.

    Led Zeppelin dominates the Lounge thread. Do people know Page and Plant's history?

    I agree. That is my outlook when it comes to Polanski. He wasn't a predator. It was a different time in a different world with a willing participant who is not a victim. I don't care about the Polanski thing at all. And I love his movies.
    Woody Allen appears to be a sicko though (he also makes good movies).
    Well we're not so far off after all, eh?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 37,159

    PJ_Soul said:

    As intolerant as I am of the creeps we refer to in this thread... I always pause when discussing Polanski.

    His ordeal before his discretion was out of this world and not that it is an excuse, but his 'victim' doesn't claim to be a victim.

    Led Zeppelin dominates the Lounge thread. Do people know Page and Plant's history?

    I agree. That is my outlook when it comes to Polanski. He wasn't a predator. It was a different time in a different world with a willing participant who is not a victim. I don't care about the Polanski thing at all. And I love his movies.
    Woody Allen appears to be a sicko though (he also makes good movies).
    Well we're not so far off after all, eh?
    Not always! I actually think I at least partially agree with you around 50% of the time. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

    PJ_Soul said:

    As intolerant as I am of the creeps we refer to in this thread... I always pause when discussing Polanski.

    His ordeal before his discretion was out of this world and not that it is an excuse, but his 'victim' doesn't claim to be a victim.

    Led Zeppelin dominates the Lounge thread. Do people know Page and Plant's history?

    I agree. That is my outlook when it comes to Polanski. He wasn't a predator. It was a different time in a different world with a willing participant who is not a victim. I don't care about the Polanski thing at all. And I love his movies.
    Woody Allen appears to be a sicko though (he also makes good movies).
    Well we're not so far off after all, eh?
    Not always! I actually think I at least partially agree with you around 50% of the time. :lol:
    Lol.

    You know what's funny? I think that actually sounds accurate.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Whatever is up with them they should be exterminated.
    Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both ideas are overwhelming. AE
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 12,737

    hedonist said:

    Thirty, I think she was 13 at the time? Most kids around that age who've been molested or worse won't see themselves as a victim, more as the perpetrator or somehow responsible.

    As to Page...another suspension of disbelief thing, dammit. I don't know but have read some things of him that don't sit well with me. Beyond sitting.

    And yet, I'm a sucker for his music and talent.

    I can't really rationalize or reconcile it.

    I know.

    I'm not defending him although it appears as I am. I've seen her in an interview recently and she spoke to her willingness, eagerness, and complicity. She wanted people to forgive Polanski.

    Jagger liked the young girls too.

    Zeppelin and the Stones are two of my all time favourites.

    I guess I'm compromised?
    Don't forget Pete Townshend
  • my2hands said:

    hedonist said:

    Thirty, I think she was 13 at the time? Most kids around that age who've been molested or worse won't see themselves as a victim, more as the perpetrator or somehow responsible.

    As to Page...another suspension of disbelief thing, dammit. I don't know but have read some things of him that don't sit well with me. Beyond sitting.

    And yet, I'm a sucker for his music and talent.

    I can't really rationalize or reconcile it.

    I know.

    I'm not defending him although it appears as I am. I've seen her in an interview recently and she spoke to her willingness, eagerness, and complicity. She wanted people to forgive Polanski.

    Jagger liked the young girls too.

    Zeppelin and the Stones are two of my all time favourites.

    I guess I'm compromised?
    Don't forget Pete Townshend
    I never forgot about him. I just didn't want Who Princess smacking me.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fieldsPosts: 7,010

    my2hands said:

    Don't forget Pete Townshend

    I never forgot about him. I just didn't want Who Princess smacking me.
    :lol:
    And if you've actually read the whole thread (not too hard since it's only 2 pages), you'll see we've already discussed PT.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield CountyPosts: 3,299
    WORD!
    Jason P said:

    Woody Allen is to movies what Bob Dylan is to music. I just don't understand the genius people claim to see.

    "Apology made to whoever it pleases, still they got me like Jesus." Chuck D
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 16,604
    A 44 year old man with a ton of influence giving booze and drugs to have sex with a 13 old makes her a willing participant?
    PJ_Soul said:

    As intolerant as I am of the creeps we refer to in this thread... I always pause when discussing Polanski.

    His ordeal before his discretion was out of this world and not that it is an excuse, but his 'victim' doesn't claim to be a victim.

    Led Zeppelin dominates the Lounge thread. Do people know Page and Plant's history?

    I agree. That is my outlook when it comes to Polanski. He wasn't a predator. It was a different time in a different world with a willing participant who is not a victim. I don't care about the Polanski thing at all. And I love his movies.
    Woody Allen appears to be a sicko though (he also makes good movies).
    A 44 year old man with a ton of influence giving booze and drugs to have sex with a 13 old makes her a willing participant?

    And why would a willing participant sue Polanski for sexual assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress and seduction?

    Hmm ...
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield CountyPosts: 3,299
    Polanski is another hwood pedo and they CELEBRATE him in La La land to this day!
    And woody? fuhgetaboutit. His peeps gave him a pass too. Imagine havin the condo next door to him and having young children? I'd rather my kids took their chances in gender neutral bathroom in Battery Park after 2:00 am.

    OJ's own cheered for him when he was acquitted as well.
    It's called, lookin out for own regardless of the charges and it is a bit sickening.



    "Apology made to whoever it pleases, still they got me like Jesus." Chuck D
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 37,159
    edited May 2016
    Jason P said:

    A 44 year old man with a ton of influence giving booze and drugs to have sex with a 13 old makes her a willing participant?

    PJ_Soul said:

    As intolerant as I am of the creeps we refer to in this thread... I always pause when discussing Polanski.

    His ordeal before his discretion was out of this world and not that it is an excuse, but his 'victim' doesn't claim to be a victim.

    Led Zeppelin dominates the Lounge thread. Do people know Page and Plant's history?

    I agree. That is my outlook when it comes to Polanski. He wasn't a predator. It was a different time in a different world with a willing participant who is not a victim. I don't care about the Polanski thing at all. And I love his movies.
    Woody Allen appears to be a sicko though (he also makes good movies).
    A 44 year old man with a ton of influence giving booze and drugs to have sex with a 13 old makes her a willing participant?

    And why would a willing participant sue Polanski for sexual assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress and seduction?

    Hmm ...
    Different time, different world. I trust the woman who has spoken for herself about this. She has stated that she wasn't a victim. Meh.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 16,604
    PJ_Soul said:

    Jason P said:

    A 44 year old man with a ton of influence giving booze and drugs to have sex with a 13 old makes her a willing participant?

    PJ_Soul said:

    As intolerant as I am of the creeps we refer to in this thread... I always pause when discussing Polanski.

    His ordeal before his discretion was out of this world and not that it is an excuse, but his 'victim' doesn't claim to be a victim.

    Led Zeppelin dominates the Lounge thread. Do people know Page and Plant's history?

    I agree. That is my outlook when it comes to Polanski. He wasn't a predator. It was a different time in a different world with a willing participant who is not a victim. I don't care about the Polanski thing at all. And I love his movies.
    Woody Allen appears to be a sicko though (he also makes good movies).
    A 44 year old man with a ton of influence giving booze and drugs to have sex with a 13 old makes her a willing participant?

    And why would a willing participant sue Polanski for sexual assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress and seduction?

    Hmm ...
    Different time, different world. I trust the woman who has spoken for herself about this. She has stated that she wasn't a victim. Meh.
    Probably a part of the settlement.

    Are you suggesting it was acceptable for 44 year old guys to seduce 13 year old girls in 1977. What are your thoughts on Cosby? Was he just rolling with the times?
Sign In or Register to comment.