Options

Where's all the festival love?

ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
So many upcoming festivals yet so little discussion. They're fun, no? The setlists aren't good enough?
I'm not going (Roo fits my sched and taste but it's a tad too pricy. Accommodations in CO, like the Franz Klammer lodge at a cool grand a nite makes the Ride fest feel a little silly), but what's the consensus?
Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018

Comments

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    for me personally im not going to any festivals, im past that point in my life with dealing with all that comes with going to a festival.... so there is nothing to discuss ha...im sure Telluride would be some great scenery tho
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    I had a killer time at Jazzfest this year. Lots of people - and way too hot - but the overall experience was unreal. I also saw PJ at Roo in 2008 - one of the best shows and weekends that I've ever experienced. I'm too damn old now to do the camping thing, plus I don't have the money for it this year. I also saw them at Midtown Music Fest in Atlanta back in 2012. Another great weekend.

Of course I'd rather have a proper PJ show, but there's nothing wrong with festivals.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    The Ride will only have 11K ppl, if it sells out. That's less than all their other shows so far this tour right. Plus with the setting it's gonna be real intimate. Trying not to get my hopes up for this show, but there's a big part of me thinking something special is gonna happen.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    a5pj said:

The Ride will only have 11K ppl, if it sells out. That's less than all their other shows so far this tour right. Plus with the setting it's gonna be real intimate. Trying not to get my hopes up for this show, but there's a big part of me thinking something special is gonna happen.

can see a seated acoustic set to open the show. i also think this will be a special weekend...
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    Festivals just don't do it for me. Yea it's great to be able to see multiple bands play and all but that kills the vibe of the crowd as everyone there isn't always there to see the bands you're wanting to see. Plus you usually have to deal with the heat and long lines to get food and drink. Sign me up for a good ole fashioned rock show with one act any day of the week!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    They're too hot for me. I can't stand hot weather, and it seems that basically all festivals are staged in the fire pits of hell. :lol: They're just not for me. I haven't been to a festival since 2007. Virgin Fest. And my strongest memory from it was how fucking hot I was, with nowhere to escape to and cool off. It sucked.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Meh, don't care about festivals. Short, greatest hits set lists (from all bands), lots of bands I have no interest in, smelly people, expensive water and beer. etc... Or maybe I'm just too old!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    I don't like festivals. I tolerate them if I need to go to one to see Pearl Jam. Having to watch Beady Eye perform right before Pearl Jam at BDO in 2014 was one of the most painful things I've ever had to do :tired_face:

Don't let me ruin your enthusiasm though :)
  • Options
    ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    Bring Lollapalooza back out on the road. Was there for I, II, & III.
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Isn't festival love that thing that causes you to have to go to the clinic a few weeks later?
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    edited May 2016
    Im 37 and I still Love festivals!
    Burn baby burn!!
    Come as you are and let your freak flag fly.
    All sorts of different people trying to do it the best they can.
    Smiles everywhere and people helping people!
    Its a what do I feel like doing next mentality for 5 days and it's skin to win! lol

Plus Canadians are very nice people in general come check us out American buddies!

Id be going to Pemberton anyway since I am a Pemby founder.
    PJ was just a delightful/frightful surprise.
    Waiting in a merch line for 3 hours in the hot sun sucks.I had to do it in Missoula.
    It was 42 celsius when Janes Addiction took the stage last year...

PJ + Pemby= Happy Boy!

Pemby just have to add a few more choice acts.Most people only see PJ when they look at the list.In some cases this is true but a festival is designed to push and expand your musical landscape while allowing you and others to get as wasted as you feel comfortable with.Some of the shit you see.lol

Entertaining but not for everyone.If PJ plays Sat or Sunday most people show up Wed afternoon.
    Fans are on day three or four of the adventure.
    Single day people must think what a shit show this is.....
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    RobbyD462 said:

Im 37 and I still Love festivals!
    Burn baby burn!!
    Come as you are and let your freak flag fly.
    All sorts of different people trying to do it the best they can.
    Smiles everywhere and people helping people!
    Its a what do I feel like doing next mentality for 5 days and it's skin to win! lol

Plus Canadians are very nice people in general come check us out American buddies!

Id be going to Pemberton anyway since I am a Pemby founder.
    PJ was just a delightful/frightful surprise.
    Waiting in a merch line for 3 hours in the hot sun sucks.I had to do it in Missoula.
    It was 42 celsius when Janes Addiction took the stage last year...

PJ + Pemby= Happy Boy!

Pemby just have to add a few more choice acts.Most people only see PJ when they look at the list.In some cases this is true but a festival is designed to push and expand your musical landscape while allowing you and others to get as wasted as you feel comfortable with.Some of the shit you see.lol

Entertaining but not for everyone.If PJ plays Sat or Sunday most people show up Wed afternoon.
    Fans are on day three or four of the adventure.
    Single day people must think what a shit show this is.....

yes to this... the whole short set, greatest hits theory doesnt apply here either. i cant speak for pemberton, but if anyone thinks bonnaroo and ride will be short greatest hits sets they need to research. was bonnaroo '08 a short, greatest hits set? is a 7-11 slot on saturday night in telluride a short set? i personally would enjoy 5 days in telluride without any festival taking place. cant wait for the heat, the long lines, the smelly people, and everything else others find to complain about.
  • Options
    I've been to only 1 festival, Firefly, 2 years ago, and I had a pretty great time, Beck, Foo Fighters, Weezer, and Cage the Elephant. We had good weather, not too hot, no line of thunderstorms to send everyone running. I liked the the semi laid back vibe of the camping, the 6 am showers, getting acclimated over time to where everything was, kinda like a cruise ship..

The only drawback was watching the youngsters standing around waiting for their phones to charge, or in line to plug in. Yikes.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    No more for me !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,738
    Festivals?

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited May 2016
    Telluride seems like a unicorn show... a small festival in a perfect setting... with legal marijuana... that pearl jam just happens to be playing

Why does it have to be so logistically hard & expensive? It seems perfect, but I don't think I can swing it
  • Options
    svenhoeksvenhoek Buford, GA Posts: 52
    In general i don't like them for many of the reasons listed here. The biggest thing for me is that many times the people who are at festivals aren't necessarily there to see Pearl Jam and in my experience often times a lot of people are very rude, so the whole "love one another" thing certainly doesn't always apply. I was at Jazz Fest this year and in 2010 and had a great time simply because Pearl Jam was there. Also, I will say something about standing in a crowd that large is pretty cool. My wife on the other hand nearly had a panic attack this time due to a mixture of the heat, being packed in like sardines and all the people pushing and shoving, but by the time Pearl Jam came on she was having a good time. I would certainly go again if Pearl Jam were playing a festival, but it would take a lot for me to commit to a festival without Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    svenhoeksvenhoek Buford, GA Posts: 52
    Forgot to add to my previous post. I was also at Deluna Fest in Pensicola in 2012. . . NOW THAT WAS COOL!! Easily the best festival I have ever attended. There was nothing miserable about that experience for me, but it is the exception not the rule as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Telluride seems like a unicorn show... a small festival in a perfect setting... with legal marijuana... that pearl jam just happens to be playing

Why does it have to be so logistically hard & expensive? It seems perfect, but I don't think I can swing it

With only 11,500, that is one I might actually enjoy a bit more. Not crowded at all ... not sure how hot it gets though. Maybe very, in the summer.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jason03jason03 N.C. Posts: 17
    Even at this age, if my back wasn't held together with titanium, I'd love to travel and follow festivals. Being 6'9" or right at 2 M, I can make space if I need to lol, but I'm just unable to be on my feet. I went to the SC Pearl Jam shows via handicapped seats. I hope you guys keep going and showing empathy for your fellow humans, and help rid the area of ones that "don't belong", so everyone else can enjoy the show. Tell your stories of feeling great and having super fun times and they shall be here forever for others to enjoy.
    after 25 year wait: Greenville april 16th, 2016 and Columbia, SC on 21st. thanks for the memories PJ
  • Options
    my2hands said:

word
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

With only 11,500, that is one I might actually enjoy a bit more. Not crowded at all ... not sure how hot it gets though. Maybe very, in the summer.

At that elevation it won't be above 80 degrees and the relative humidity will be about 15%, and not a bug in sight. The sun is intense but it isn't hot.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

PJ_Soul said:

At that elevation it won't be above 80 degrees and the relative humidity will be about 15%, and not a bug in sight. The sun is intense but it isn't hot.
    Do you know that from experience (assuming yes, but...)? I'm just wondering because I go to Whistler in the summer and it is fucking broiling despite the elevation.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,326
    I believe the average high Temps in telluride in July are in the low 70's and it can get pretty cool at night.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options

I believe the average high Temps in telluride in July are in the low 70's and it can get pretty cool at night.

That sounds nice. :)
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,326
    PJ_Soul said:

That sounds nice. :)
    The Ride festival isn't anything like your average festival. Only 1 stage and small capacity. It's more like a county fair with a postcard scenery. To me this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see pj in such a beautiful place!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I feel a bit of pride when they play fests. Like theyre showing this wide audience and all these bands why they're so loved
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

I feel a bit of pride when they play fests. Like theyre showing this wide audience and all these bands why they're so loved

I did feel a bit of that at Global Citizen where I was standing next to a huge Beyoncé fan and he kept saying they were awesome. Still not enough to get me to love the festival experience tho.
  • Options
    ryph raph said:

Bring Lollapalooza back out on the road. Was there for I, II, & III.

Living in Chicagoland, I say leave it here. Perfect setting and accessible from many different means of travel.

I'm extremely biased but best city in the U.S. from May to October, all other months, I curse my kin for dropping me in this place. LOL
  • Options
    PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Colorado Posts: 1,375
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Do you know that from experience (assuming yes, but...)? I'm just wondering because I go to Whistler in the summer and it is fucking broiling despite the elevation.
    Went to Telluride for the bluegrass festival in 2009 and the weather was amazing...perfect to be exact. High 70's to mid 80's during the day and pretty chilly at night. I brought my puffy down coat and it was perfect for the nightime camping. Met a lot of cool people who were very friendly, kind and generous. And now that pot is legal I can expect it to be very chill!

I think it will be more than "just a festival" show...and even if it is just the hits, the beauty of the venue will make it special. I can't wait!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.