Options

Said No One Ever.....

KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
...Until Philly 2 4/29/16..."Fucking Evenflow better be next"..." Play Evenflow in the 2 slot!" "How cool would it be if Evenflow was the second song tonight?"
Yea the song gets ripped on occasionally here (i get it). I too have used the song as a bathroom break (but back for the solo). However, in my 20 years of going to PJ shows, hearing the opening riff of Evenflow, was probably the single greatest PJ moment / concert experience of my life (i've been to some good ones too), Because I knew what kind of show we were in for, and it did not disappoint, nor did the Philly faithful....What a night, my god...cant wait to relive it on boots....maybe a DVD in the works??

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,718
    KP_McMinn said:

...Until Philly 2 4/29/16..."Fucking Evenflow better be next"..." Play Evenflow in the 2 slot!" "How cool would it be if Evenflow was the second song tonight?"
    Yea the song gets ripped on occasionally here (i get it). I too have used the song as a bathroom break (but back for the solo). However, in my 20 years of going to PJ shows, hearing the opening riff of Evenflow, was probably the single greatest PJ moment / concert experience of my life (i've been to some good ones too), Because I knew what kind of show we were in for, and it did not disappoint, nor did the Philly faithful....What a night, my god...cant wait to relive it on boots....maybe a DVD in the works??

It was insane. Me and the dude next to me were jumping around like school girls. And it was definitely the loudest ovation for the opening guitar riff of Alive I've ever heard because that pretty much confirmed what was happening. My eyes tear up just thinking about the experience. I'm not sure people who weren't there will ever understand what took place during those 11 songs.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    nicknyr15 said:

KP_McMinn said:

It was insane. Me and the dude next to me were jumping around like school girls. And it was definitely the loudest ovation for the opening guitar riff of Alive I've ever heard because that pretty much confirmed what was happening. My eyes tear up just thinking about the experience. I'm not sure people who weren't there will ever understand what took place during those 11 songs.
    I think when Alive kicked in it was probably the most electric moment of a concert i've ever been a part of. as you said it fully confirmed we were getting 10 and you could feel the crowd's energy. the opening chords of Alive still gets me to. still love hearing it.

as for Even Flow I can see where it gets tired at times. Sometimes i just wish they would maybe move it around the set. I think it would be a killer closer (before yellow ledbetter). would give it some new energy. playing it in the 8-12 slot is kind of tired at times.

all that being said, and i know i'm probably not in the majority, but even 26 shows in i still dig hearing the hits. I mean Alive is and will always be my favorite song ever.
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    I'll tell you what, a lot of people rip on Even Flow but if you saw it at Toronto night one you'd think differently. The level Mike took it to was one I haven't seen from this band in well over a decade. They fucking ripped it. It was incredible. I couldn't believe it. Look up a video or wait for the bootleg and check it out. You'll actually be pleasantly surprised.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

nicknyr15 said:

KP_McMinn said:

I think when Alive kicked in it was probably the most electric moment of a concert i've ever been a part of. as you said it fully confirmed we were getting 10 and you could feel the crowd's energy. the opening chords of Alive still gets me to. still love hearing it.

as for Even Flow I can see where it gets tired at times. Sometimes i just wish they would maybe move it around the set. I think it would be a killer closer (before yellow ledbetter). would give it some new energy. playing it in the 8-12 slot is kind of tired at times.

all that being said, and i know i'm probably not in the majority, but even 26 shows in i still dig hearing the hits. I mean Alive is and will always be my favorite song ever.
    Come to think of it, Evenflow could be a killer closer/2nd encore song...
    I agree w/ you about "hits". I still love hearing Jeremy as much as possible. Betterman....not so much :open_mouth:
  • Options

I'll tell you what, a lot of people rip on Even Flow but if you saw it at Toronto night one you'd think differently. The level Mike took it to was one I haven't seen from this band in well over a decade. They fucking ripped it. It was incredible. I couldn't believe it. Look up a video or wait for the bootleg and check it out. You'll actually be pleasantly surprised.

dayummm....that was def pretty sick...definitely upped it on that version....
  • Options
    Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 646
    Hearing Ten early main set was something most won't/can't comprehend.
    02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)
    19JUL2013 - Wrigley Field, IL
    21OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    22OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    27OCT2013 - Baltimore, MD
    29APR2016 - Philadelphia, PA (TEN)
    05AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    07AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    27AUG2016 - Dana Point, CA (Ohana)
    18AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    20AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    18SEP2021 - Asbury Park, NJ
    14SEP2022 - Camden, NJ

• Options
    BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 273
    Greenville, I noticed at the show that most realized we were getting Vs when Glorified started due to the noise level of excitement in the crowd. You can really hear it on the boot. It was fantastic.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I think the majority of us would agree about Evenflow being awesome. Maybe a handful of people on here that troll it.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292

Mike was also on fire during EF @ Philly night 1.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,071
    I've said for a while that the band doesn't need to play more deep cuts; they could simply change up the order of the set list and we'd all go nuts. Baba in the five slot at Milwaukee 2014 is a good example, Evenflow second is even better.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    "Mike's 'Even Flow' solo sucked!" said no-one ever.
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    The only album show I have seen was the Ten show.

Yes: I am jealous of all the other ones. All of them. VS and Yield are in my top 5 albums of all time. No Code and Binaural would have been sick as well. Hell, even the self-titled album show in Italy in '06 would have been sick.

BUT

There is no other album that would have elicited the same response from the ENTIRE crowd as Ten. It was absolutely something special without a doubt. The frenetic energy in the room that night was just indescribable. By the time the opening notes of Alive kicked in, I thought the place was just going to explode. I was 75% sure what was going on when Once kicked in. I was 95% sure when EF kicked in. And when Alive kicked in, I, as well as 19000 other fans collectively lost our minds. It was on the verge of chaos in as good a way as possible.

And somehow it stayed at that level for the entire album.

And as a side note - I know I was not the only one in the room who teared up during Ed's speech before Release. After a few hard months, those Philly/MSG shows were going to be a good, no pun intended, release for me. I needed an escape...something to make me forget about some stuff for a while. His speech completely had me.

So while I am jealous of the other album shows - I am glad I was at the Ten show. It was epic on so many levels.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,718
    BinFrog said:

Yes: I am jealous of all the other ones. All of them. VS and Yield are in my top 5 albums of all time. No Code and Binaural would have been sick as well. Hell, even the self-titled album show in Italy in '06 would have been sick.

BUT

There is no other album that would have elicited the same response from the ENTIRE crowd as Ten. It was absolutely something special without a doubt. The frenetic energy in the room that night was just indescribable. By the time the opening notes of Alive kicked in, I thought the place was just going to explode. I was 75% sure what was going on when Once kicked in. I was 95% sure when EF kicked in. And when Alive kicked in, I, as well as 19000 other fans collectively lost our minds. It was on the verge of chaos in as good a way as possible.

And as a side note - I know I was not the only one in the room who teared up during Ed's speech before Release. After a few hard months, those Philly/MSG shows were going to be a good, no pun intended, release for me. I needed an escape...something to make me forget about some stuff for a while. His speech completely had me.

So while I am jealous of the other album shows - I am glad I was at the Ten show. It was epic on so many levels.

This post should be framed along side the poster. It perfectly describes that night. It was absolutely amazing.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    nicknyr15 said:

BinFrog said:

BUT

This post should be framed along side the poster. It perfectly describes that night. It was absolutely amazing.
    +1 - fantastic post that describes it perfectly.
  • Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    Evenflow and Alive the two I will never get tired of. Throw Corduroy in there too.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    Evenflow has sounded awesome this tour year. Matt's drumming sounds more powerful and Mike has been killer as usual.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    edited May 2016
    I only wish that I hadn't heard utterances of "t e n !"

and that's because, for me, the show itself stood on high enough grounds without the order of those particular songs in that particular order

each song stood sparkling on its own,

and yes, even I was hooting to McCreedy's solo.

Actually, let me stand as a witness as someone who usually cringes at his solos (I don't have to admit it now, I already have been outspoken enough times about it before), that at THAT NIGHT, (before I knew it was "t e n !" ), I was walking around saying "McCready sounds REALLY GOOD....listen to that! he sounds G-O-O- D ".

Post edited by rollings on
  • Options
    rollings said:

and that's because, for me, the show itself stood on high enough grounds without the order of those particular songs in that particular order

Actually, let me stand as a witness as someone who usually cringes at his solos (I don't have to admit it now, I already have been outspoken enough times about it before), that at THAT NIGHT, (before I knew it was "t e n !" ), I was walking around saying "McCready sounds REALLY GOOD....listen to that! he sounds G-O-O- D ".

I wouldn't go as far as cringe, but as a guitar player too, i know what you mean about his playing. He definitely has "cleaned up" his technique quite a bit over the last 10 years. Was a period there, where he was just really sloppy. I mean that in the best way possible....
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    "Said No One Ever....."

I love this. Except, people who have heard some of the hits multiple times at shows need to get a little perspective. If you're one of the lucky ones who has seen this band many, many times, please try to remind yourself that at your 5th, 11th or 87th show, the person next to you is seeing them for the first time. And one of those hits might be their favorite song.

If you've got fatigue for a certain song as a fan, just imagine how the band feels, having played some of those songs - literally - thousands and thousands of times. Let's all just be thankful that these guys still bring it and give us a unique performance each and every night.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    edited May 2016
    KP_McMinn said:

rollings said:

I wouldn't go as far as cringe, but as a guitar player too, i know what you mean about his playing. He definitely has "cleaned up" his technique quite a bit over the last 10 years. Was a period there, where he was just really sloppy. I mean that in the best way possible....
    what songs do you think he was sloppy on?
    I do miss the days where his solos kind of took you somewhere...now it seems he just tries to hit as many notes possible in a short amount of time.
    just look at the difference between porch solos now and say east rutherford night 2 in 2006.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

KP_McMinn said:

rollings said:

what songs do you think he was sloppy on?
    I do miss the days where his solos kind of took you somewhere...now it seems he just tries to hit as many notes possible in a short amount of time.
    just look at the difference between porch solos now and say east rutherford night 2 in 2006.
    That exactly what I'm saying. Porch was a song he was notoriously sloppy on back in the Day. Now it's got a clean sound. By that I mean, his solos are constructed in a way that allows for longer jams, With more routes to go down, instead of the same panatonic scale he typically noodles over.

I honestly think he has been sloppy over his entire career, live anyway. But that's ok, because it's worked for them 25 years. I think mike would be the first to tell you that his guitar playing has gotten substantially better over the last ten years, as you mention east Rutherford 2006.
  • Options

"Said No One Ever....."

I love this. Except, people who have heard some of the hits multiple times at shows need to get a little perspective. If you're one of the lucky ones who has seen this band many, many times, please try to remind yourself that at your 5th, 11th or 87th show, the person next to you is seeing them for the first time. And one of those hits might be their favorite song.

If you've got fatigue for a certain song as a fan, just imagine how the band feels, having played some of those songs - literally - thousands and thousands of times. Let's all just be thankful that these guys still bring it and give us a unique performance each and every night.

I'm not sure if you're insinuating that when a song like even flow comes on, We get annoyed and talk shit to the person next to us or not, but I understand your point. I can assure you I don't do that...I just typically take a piss and get a beer. 35 shows, 32 even flows. I've seen enough unique performances of that song.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Sarah said:

"Mike's 'Even Flow' solo sucked!" said no-one ever.

lol