GA has gone soft?

nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
Okay, I know this will probably spark a whole debate, but when did the GA pit become so soft? Not enough people jumping around and singing in the pit in Ottawa and a young couple in front of us simply stood there motionless the entire first set without so much as a fist pump or a lyric sung. I understand that everyone enjoys the show in their own way, but a bit of passion would be nice. Part of the reason I prefer GA is for the atmosphere.

Also, since when does everyone believe they are entitled to their own one square foot of floor space? My buddy and I moved forward about 10 people deep in the pit and he was GRAZING another girl's shoulder with his own and she got mad at him for being "in her personal space". Really? You're at a rock concert, not the opera. If you are in the pit, you should be okay with bumping into/ being inadvertently grazed/touched by strangers. And they got mad at us for trying to move a bit closer and told us to "go back to where we came from". We didn't. It was kind of a deflating moment for us.

Don't get me wrong, we were super polite about and it was all sorted in the end, but that is one area I disagree with a lot of people on. The pit should be a fluid/dynamic atmosphere and if there is space (and there was a TON between people) then we should be able to move forward a bit. I don't claim that I should be on the rail or even 2,3 or 4 people deep if I don't put in the time, but don't get mad at me because I was able to get to where you were but didn't wait two and a half hours in the pit before the show.

Back in the day the pit was so tight you couldn't move your arms and it would sway and move with everyone..... I understand that everyone is older too and we may not have the energy to stand like sardines anymore but times have certainly changed!!

Rant over. :-)
Barrie 08/22/98
Montreal 10/04/00
Toronto 10/05/00
Toronto 06/28/03
Kitchener 09/11/05
Ottawa 09/16/05
Toronto 08/21/09
Toronto 09/11/11
Ottawa 09/14/11
Buffalo 10/12/13
Ottawa 05/08/16
Chicago 08/20/18
Ottawa 09/03/22
Nashville 09/16/22

Comments

• LiftedLifted Posts: 1,583
    Spend a little more time enjoying yourself than worrying about how other people are enjoying themselves. You'll have a better time. We're talking about a 25 year old classic rock band.
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,225
    Fans on here entitled? Never lol
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    USA/Canada definitely a bit softer these days.
    SA/Europe (center in front of Ed) Still pretty rough.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    nevmiles said:

Okay, I know this will probably spark a whole debate, but when did the GA pit become so soft? Not enough people jumping around and singing in the pit in Ottawa and a young couple in front of us simply stood there motionless the entire first set without so much as a fist pump or a lyric sung. I understand that everyone enjoys the show in their own way, but a bit of passion would be nice. Part of the reason I prefer GA is for the atmosphere.

Also, since when does everyone believe they are entitled to their own one square foot of floor space? My buddy and I moved forward about 10 people deep in the pit and he was GRAZING another girl's shoulder with his own and she got mad at him for being "in her personal space". Really? You're at a rock concert, not the opera. If you are in the pit, you should be okay with bumping into/ being inadvertently grazed/touched by strangers. And they got mad at us for trying to move a bit closer and told us to "go back to where we came from". We didn't. It was kind of a deflating moment for us.

Don't get me wrong, we were super polite about and it was all sorted in the end, but that is one area I disagree with a lot of people on. The pit should be a fluid/dynamic atmosphere and if there is space (and there was a TON between people) then we should be able to move forward a bit. I don't claim that I should be on the rail or even 2,3 or 4 people deep if I don't put in the time, but don't get mad at me because I was able to get to where you were but didn't wait two and a half hours in the pit before the show.

Back in the day the pit was so tight you couldn't move your arms and it would sway and move with everyone..... I understand that everyone is older too and we may not have the energy to stand like sardines anymore but times have certainly changed!!

why do you feel the need to take up every inch of free space? is your view that much better 3 feet closer? why would you want to be jammed in so tight your arms couldn't move?

I never understood people that feel the need to crash forward just because they see the slightest of space...

people snatching tambourines from children and women... standing in front of people in wheelchairs... people with numbers on their hand... lists... this is all exactly why I am very happy back in my reserved seats
  • weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    reason # 7, 8, 9 and 10 why no ga for me. ive had rock star neighbours this tour
  • NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    How does "entitled" find its way to every thread. Why are people so concerned about what others are doing (unless it's encroaching on them)? Also..get rid of GA..no LOITERING allowed. ;)
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • LowlightLowlight Plymouth, MA Posts: 100
    Lifted said:

Spend a little more time enjoying yourself than worrying about how other people are enjoying themselves. You'll have a better time. We're talking about a 25 year old classic rock band.

Could not have said it better myself.
    Detroit 10-7-00 Buffalo 5-2-03 Boston 7-2-03 Camden 7-6-03 Boston 7-11-03 Boston 5-25-06 Camden 5-27-06 Hartford 6-27-08 Boston 6-28-08 Boston 6-30-08 Hartford 5-15-10 Boston 5-17-10 Chicago 7-19-13 Brooklyn 10-18-13 Brooklyn 10-19-13 Hartford 10-25-13 Moline 10-17-14 St. Paul 10-19-14 Milwaukee 10-20-14 Boston 8-5-16 Boston 8-7-16 Chicago 8-20-16 Chicago 8-22-16 Seattle 8-8-18 Boston 9-2-18 Boston 9-4-18
  • Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    edited May 2016
    Post edited by Mignelli14 on
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776

I had a small group of stiffs in front of me at QC. Know what I did? Jumped for a third of the show, sang (yelled) for 90% of it, and probably hit this girl in the shoulder 12 times with my elbow from raising my right arm and hi-fiving a guy I spent the day with. I had the best time. So don't be afraid to bring it man even if the people around you aren't.

yep. don't be afraid about acting at a high level of douche to the point where you hit a girl 12 times throughout the show.

bravo, bro.

• pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,662
    Having finally experienced GA in the states I would say there's a huge difference compared to Europe. It was extremely tame... And to have a couple obsessed in front of me ( 3 rows from the rail) in taking photos of each other with Ed behind them on their shoulder was painful.

Yes ignore others and enjoy the show is good advice but these pair were at it every song and staring right at us posing into the camera for their next Facebook profile photo. Honestly it was hard to avoid
  • The AkkusThe Akkus Posts: 1,093
    We old
    1998 - Noblesville * Knoxville
    2000 - Noblesville * Cincinnati * Columbus
    2003 - Lexington * East Troy * Noblesville* Columbus
    2006 - Cincinnati
    2008 - NYC night 1 * NYC night 2
    2009 - EV Solo Nashville
    2010 - Columbus * Noblesville * Cleveland
    2011 - East Troy night 1 * East Troy night 2
    2014 - Cincinnati
    2016 - Greenville * Lexington
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,662
    That said GA is a no brainer. I'd take a 'soft' GA over seats any day at all
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    nevmiles said:

If I want to keep a one foot distance between me and the person in front of me that does not give you the right to stand there in my opinion. It seems like people like you see personal space as an open opportunity to get closer to the stage. Not cool.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936

I had a small group of stiffs in front of me at QC. Know what I did? Jumped for a third of the show, sang (yelled) for 90% of it, and probably hit this girl in the shoulder 12 times with my elbow from raising my right arm and hi-fiving a guy I spent the day with. I had the best time. So don't be afraid to bring it man even if the people around you aren't.

well done evenbro
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    I remember the good ole days, like lolla 92 start at the back work your way to the front back to the middle barely stand up by the end of the show. Nobody complained if you bumped into them they'd just bump you back. Go stand at the back if you don't wana be touched.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    edited May 2016
    Do the euro shows do the small pit up front thing? I thought they had the whole floor as a pit kind of thing. In my experience the bigger the pit the more energy it has. If you go to something where the complete venue is GA it's complete insanity. If it's an entire GA floor (but the seats are seated) it's medium insanity. If there's a small GA section cordoned off in front of the stage, it tends to be mellower. Pit insanity tends to be directly correlated to the size of the pit?

Personally I sing my lungs out but I'm not much of a dancer :)
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    rival. said:

yep. don't be afraid about acting at a high level of douche to the point where you hit a girl 12 times throughout the show.

bravo, bro.

Exactly. You are lucky the girl didn't turn around and kick you in the balls after the first half dozen times. Should have tried that in Philly or MSG and pretty sure that is what would have happened -- if you were lucky.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Zod said:

Do the euro shows do the small pit up front thing? I thought they had the whole floor as a pit kind of thing. In my experience the bigger the pit the more energy it has. If you go to something where the complete venue is GA it's complete insanity. If it's an entire GA floor (but the seats are seated) it's medium insanity. If there's a small GA section cordoned off in front of the stage, it tends to be mellower. Pit insanity tends to be directly correlated to the size of the pit?

Personally I sing my lungs out but I'm not much of a dancer :)

The Motley Crue pit got pretty rowdy at Save On, it was small but fun.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    GA at usa is like making love and in SA and Europe like hardcore sex
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Horse2345 said:

I remember the good ole days, like lolla 92 start at the back work your way to the front back to the middle barely stand up by the end of the show. Nobody complained if you bumped into them they'd just bump you back. Go stand at the back if you don't wana be touched.

that was 24 years ago and everyone was 19 years old... nobody is saying to stay 3 feet away from each other, but some of you guys thinking you need to take up every square inch is ridiculous... seriously, what advantage do you have by jamming your way 3 feet closer to the stage?

at the shows I have attended, from my reserved seats lol, it looked the the smartest people in the building were relaxing in the back of the pit having a great time with room to move and breathe and a great view of the stage
  • dtr0624dtr0624 south jersey Posts: 611
    if you want space, thats why they have reserve. there are no chairs in pit for a reason. its a pit. there is supposed to be an atmosphere. its an experience. i was pit for philly 1 and we were tight in there, jumpin around, goin nuts. was a blast. it was what pit is supposed to be... its not a tea party... to the op, i feel ya. to the guy jumpin around and having a blast who paid his share to see the band in a GENERAL ADMISSION section? have at it dude. she wants to be a stump, be a stump. other people shouldnt be why you have a bad time.. shout out to the people in the pit for philly 1 btw. i left after the first set to hit the bathroom and they let me back all the way to my rail spot with no argument at all lol
    2012 - MIA (Philly)
    2013 - Philly 1, philly 2, charlottesville,
    2015 - NYC (global citizen)
    2016 - Philly 1&2
    2022 - Camden
    every problem I have seen in the pit at PJ shows since they started it in 2013 are assholes trying to barge their way forward.... I have seen Ed actually stop the show entirely to address some prick doing this and kicking them out (C-Ville) and again at Hampton this year they had to kick out an asshole trying to barge up to the front... usually drunk pricks I assume... otherwise known as #evenbros

I don't care how hard people rock out, but you guys make it sound like if there is an inch of daylight it is your right to take it... is there really a difference if you are 14 feet away from the stage or 6 feet? seriously?
  • rival. said:

bravo, bro.

Exactly. You are lucky the girl didn't turn around and kick you in the balls after the first half dozen times. Should have tried that in Philly or MSG and pretty sure that is what would have happened -- if you were lucky.
    Well, I think someones chances at the next GA lottery may be different.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    my2hands said:

every problem I have seen in the pit at PJ shows since they started it in 2013 are assholes trying to barge their way forward.... I have seen Ed actually stop the show entirely to address some prick doing this and kicking them out (C-Ville) and again at Hampton this year they had to kick out an asshole trying to barge up to the front... usually drunk pricks I assume... otherwise known as #evenbros

I don't care how hard people rock out, but you guys make it sound like if there is an inch of daylight it is your right to take it... is there really a difference if you are 14 feet away from the stage or 6 feet? seriously?

If i m eight feet closer to Ed s crotch then obviously it s a big difference.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

rival. said:

bravo, bro.

philly had 0 of the typical 10c ga horror stories i heard of.... we showed up at 930/10. wound up rail and still had time for merch truck and tailgating. we had people in our grooup leave the rail and make it all the way back. no questions asked. we jumped around. high fived. had a blast. not one douche. mikes side. so the person who said "try that in philly" lol dude youd be fine hahah. jump around. have a blast... pj loves philly and philly loves pj. youll be okay.... seems like people wanna be able to bring a lazyboy into the pit with em and its a joke... why do you think its called a pit?
    2012 - MIA (Philly)
    2016 - Philly 1&2
    2022 - Camden
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    A rougher (relative term) GA area shouldn't be a problem at a Pearl Jam concert, especially if GA's fan club only. Honestly, there's nothing better than being in a "happy" pit where people respect each other's space and (crucially) crowd dynamics. Things start to get a bit hairy when people don't understand how pits are supposed to function and try reenacting the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video.

The worst pit I've ever been in, no lie, was Our Lady Peace: it was at one of those beer company concerts, everybody was drunk, and nobody had a clue how to behave. Some of the best pits I've been in have been for some of the hardest, heaviest bands on earth.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited May 2016
    dtr0624 said:

rival. said:

bravo, bro.

philly had 0 of the typical 10c ga horror stories i heard of.... we showed up at 930/10. wound up rail and still had time for merch truck and tailgating. we had people in our grooup leave the rail and make it all the way back. no questions asked. we jumped around. high fived. had a blast. not one douche. mikes side. so the person who said "try that in philly" lol dude youd be fine hahah. jump around. have a blast... pj loves philly and philly loves pj. youll be okay.... seems like people wanna be able to bring a lazyboy into the pit with em and its a joke... why do you think its called a pit?
    No, I think this is great. I jumped around in my seat for all 4 shows I went to. (And people around me did as well for all 4 shows, it was fun.)
    My comment was about repeatedly (supposedly up to a dozen times) hitting a girl in the shoulder so they could high five their bro.
    You are from here, you know Jersey girls --- how many do you think are going to let that fly after a handful of times?
    mcgruff10 said:

my2hands said:

If i m eight feet closer to Ed s crotch then obviously it s a big difference.
    Nothing says 'game day experience' like being that much closer! :lol: nice.

did the girl you kept hitting have the best time? or does that not matter?

dtr0624 said:

rival. said:

bravo, bro.

No, I think this is great. I jumped around in my seat for all 4 shows I went to. (And people around me did as well for all 4 shows, it was fun.)
    My comment was about repeatedly (supposedly up to a dozen times) hitting a girl in the shoulder so they could high five their bro.
    You are from here, you know Jersey girls --- how many do you think are going to let that fly after a handful of times?
    hahaha if shes a jersey girl im surprised it happened more then twice hahaha. thats the part i dont agree with. a simple apology and watching where you put your arms is all thats needed. my entire pit area lost their minds. nobody was hit 12 times haha. that i agree is a bit much
    2012 - MIA (Philly)
    2016 - Philly 1&2
    2022 - Camden