Options

No Code/Yield vinyl reissues In Shop!

Comments

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,142
    I'm most interested in knowing about LD, RVM, LO2L and Benny. I have them all but again I'm super curious how that will pan out.

If I were to guess, I'd say RVM Lo2L and maybe LD get a repress but have my doubts on sir Benny, what are others thoughts?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,911
    I don't think they would press RVM again. Just because it was a contractually obligated singles album. But then again, maybe they will just repress everything that's been pressed before.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    Rygar said:

MayDay10 said:

Like an asshole I bought everything

Yield is my favourite album so I was pumped.
    Maybe too pumped, as I also went full asshole and bought everything.
    Does that make you an asshole though? Maybe an #EvenHole but an asshole???
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 346

on2legs said:

RiotZact said:

I don't need the super duper deluxe magnum box set with all the vinyl and stuff, but I was really hoping something would come of the Moline/Milwaukee shows from 2014. Or at least some unreleased stuff and a show from 96. Something like the deluxe CD sets from Ten and Vs/Vitalogy.

I would rather hear a show from 96. You can always buy the Moline and Milwaukee shows on CD. Give us some unreleased stuff if there were another box set (sounds like not--maybe just Vaults from now on).
    Amen. Or 9/11/98.
    Begin the campaign for 10/22/2003 as a Vault release.
    1) It would sell crazy numbers.
    2) Being a vault release on black vinyl in the standard black case, it wouldn't do anything to the original release.
    That's an interesting set, but if we're talking about 2003, I think the Mansfield 3 show is much more interesting (with the acoustic set prior to the main set). I still hope Vault releases continue to be pre-2000.
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,115

I'm most interested in knowing about LD, RVM, LO2L and Benny. I have them all but again I'm super curious how that will pan out.

If I were to guess, I'd say RVM Lo2L and maybe LD get a repress but have my doubts on sir Benny, what are others thoughts?

I tend to think the same way. Benaroya was a limited special edition thing from the get go. It sold out quickly when vinyl was unpopular, so given that it was a limited edition thing in purpose I'm not sure it'll ever get another pressing.

I could also see them skipping RVM.

I figure we'll get the studio albums first.. and the other stuff (lo2l, lost dogs etc..) will be an afterthought once the regular studio albums get rereleases.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,420
    Will the 7" singles be available from other retailers?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,321
    yea at times you can buy it for half. but you
    on2legs said:

Will the 7" singles be available from other retailers?

Yea
    http://amzn.to/1ZJwlrQ
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    offhegoes32offhegoes32 Posts: 407
    igotid88 said:

FrankieG said:

Am I crazy for not getting all of the singles?

I dont think so, I think we'll see a reissue of Lost Dogs eventually
    U and BRY are different from Lost Dogs
    I always knew U and Driftin had different original versions, but not sure I ever realized BRY had different versions too. Did the Lost Dogs version have lots of differences?
    No time to be void or save up on life, you gotta spend it all.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    DeLukin said:

Rygar said:

MayDay10 said:

Like an asshole I bought everything

Yield is my favourite album so I was pumped.
    Maybe too pumped, as I also went full asshole and bought everything.
    Does that make you an asshole though? Maybe an #EvenHole but an asshole???
    I don't think so but was going with the (at the time) majority.
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    edited May 2016

I really think it all comes down to dollars and cents. Pearl Jam and Ten Club are businesses and if they think there is good money to be made while also making their fans and members happy they'll do it.
    And Sir Benny would sell a TON - even if it was just Mr. Benny on black vinyl.
    Post edited by shecky on
  • Options

igotid88 said:

FrankieG said:

I always knew U and Driftin had different original versions, but not sure I ever realized BRY had different versions too. Did the Lost Dogs version have lots of differences?
    Not much
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Part of me hopes they did go back to original tapes for these reissues because that leaves a margin for error and we may get a different take or mix on a track or 2. I love little surprises like that.
  • Options

igotid88 said:

FrankieG said:

Lost Dogs version is a little longer I believe.

This is the Hail Hail b-side version
    http://youtu.be/QoPlnoO0z6k
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819

igotid88 said:

FrankieG said:

several:

"Alone" (Dave Abbruzzese, Ament, Gossard, McCready, Vedder) – 3:11
    Originally from the "Go" single. This version has new vocals and slightly different lyrics and is shorter than the B-side version.[10][14] The music from this version is from the Ten sessions.[12] Drummer Dave Abbruzzese gets writing credit for this because it wasn't published until 1993 (when all members were getting equal credit), even though it was written a year before he joined the band.[15]

"Black, Red, Yellow" (Vedder) – 3:26
    Originally from the "Hail, Hail" single. This version is longer than the B-side version.

"U" (Vedder) – 2:53
    Originally from the "Wishlist" single. A reworking of the B-side version. Listed as "You" on the back cover.[12]

"Hard to Imagine" (Gossard, Vedder) – 4:35
    Originally from the Chicago Cab soundtrack, which is from the Vitalogy sessions.[18] This version is an outtake from the Vs. sessions.[12]

"Footsteps" (Gossard, Vedder) – 3:54
    Originally from the "Jeremy" single. Recorded live during Pearl Jam's appearance on Rockline on May 11, 1992.[19] The harmonica was not present on the B-side version. The song's music, with different lyrics, also appeared on Temple of the Dog's self-titled LP under the name "Times of Trouble."

Wash" (Ament, Gossard, Dave Krusen, McCready, Vedder) – 3:48
    Originally from the "Alive" single. It also appeared as an extra track on European releases of Ten. This version is a different one than the B-side version.

"Drifting" (Vedder) – 2:53
    Originally from the 1999 fan club Christmas single. This version has a different vocal recording than the fan club Christmas single version, sung an octave higher.

"Dirty Frank" (Abbruzzese, Ament, Gossard, McCready, Vedder) – 5:42
    Originally from the "Even Flow" single. It also appeared as an extra track on European releases of Ten. This version is slightly longer than the B-side version and features quite a bit of the lyrics removed

"Brother" (Gossard) – 3:47
    Previously unreleased.[11] Ten outtake.[12] All vocals were removed from the original outtake version, making this version of the song an instrumental.[10] McCready recorded a new lead guitar part for this version.[10] Another version of "Brother" with vocals appears on the 2009 Ten reissue and became a radio hit that same year.[23]
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,522
    edited May 2016
    lolobugg said:

benjs said:

lolobugg said:

45rpm Mo-Fi Original Half Speed Master records are the shit!!! who is with me?
    I think they will eventually get around to pressing Ten and maybe VS.
    at least I hope so.

I haven't done any Mo-Fi, but my few Analogue Productions pieces are stellar. Also just ordered Hail to the Thief by Radiohead, which was only ever released in 45RPM. QOTSA's latest effort was also 45RPM only, and is remarkable sounding, along with Damien Rice's My Favourite Faded Fantasy (one of the best sounding records I've heard, period).

These days, unless it's a Pearl Jam reissue (where the quality is bound to be questionable), I only buy 45RPM records.
    glad to see some people get it,
    but do you actually get up to flip the record over? :lol:
    that stuff cracks me up. there was something invented for that... it is called a Compact Disc.
    I have to disagree with your thinking here. I think you know I am a real lover of vinyl and "get it". But I'm also realistic when it comes to sound quality. Sound quality is VERY important to me, but sometimes the difference in sound is completely negligible (or, worse, not there at all or inferior) no matter what the format is. Sometimes the difference really is there... but not even close to always. If anything, MOST of time it's not because of how the industry is handling vinyl right now, i.e. spitting it out for as much money as possible and doing everything it can to trick people into thinking they are buying a superior product through presentation. Also, not wanting to flip a record every second song has nothing to do with laziness. It's about feeling like the album is forced to feel more disjointed than it needs to be for great sound.
    As for only buying 45rpm.... wow, that is very restrictive. Hardly any LPs are 45rpm.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    PJ_Soul said:

lolobugg said:

benjs said:

lolobugg said:

at least I hope so.

I haven't done any Mo-Fi, but my few Analogue Productions pieces are stellar. Also just ordered Hail to the Thief by Radiohead, which was only ever released in 45RPM. QOTSA's latest effort was also 45RPM only, and is remarkable sounding, along with Damien Rice's My Favourite Faded Fantasy (one of the best sounding records I've heard, period).

These days, unless it's a Pearl Jam reissue (where the quality is bound to be questionable), I only buy 45RPM records.
    that stuff cracks me up. there was something invented for that... it is called a Compact Disc.
    I have to disagree with your thinking here. I think you know I am a real lover of vinyl and "get it". But I'm also realistic when it comes to sound quality. Sound quality is VERY important to me, but sometimes the difference in sound is completely negligible (or, worse, not there at all or inferior) no matter what the format is. Sometimes the difference really is there... but not even close to always. If anything, MOST of time it's not because of how the industry is handling vinyl right now, i.e. spitting it out for as much money as possible and doing everything it can to trick people into thinking they are buying a superior product through presentation. Also, not wanting to flip a record every second song has nothing to do with laziness. It's about feeling like the album is forced to feel more disjointed than it needs to be for great sound.
    As for only buying 45rpm.... wow, that is very restrictive. Hardly any LPs are 45rpm.
    Don't get me wrong - I make exceptions! If I buy a 33-1/2RPM record, it's got to be an album by an artist I really love (PJ, Radiohead, Grateful Dead live releases), otherwise I'll just download a high quality FLAC file and listen to it that way. The 45RPM treatment is really a treat, and worth the getting up to change the side twice to four times as often, and paying twice to three times as much.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,522
    edited May 2016
    benjs said:

PJ_Soul said:

lolobugg said:

benjs said:

lolobugg said:

at least I hope so.

Don't get me wrong - I make exceptions! If I buy a 33-1/2RPM record, it's got to be an album by an artist I really love (PJ, Radiohead, Grateful Dead live releases), otherwise I'll just download a high quality FLAC file and listen to it that way. The 45RPM treatment is really a treat, and worth the getting up to change the side twice to four times as often, and paying twice to three times as much.
    If it's done right, I agree. I think I only have 2 45 LPs out of something like 200 albums though, and it's not because of avoidance. They just aren't made very often. I also have tons of 33 LPs that sound absolutely fantastic. Is a good 45 LP special? Sure. ... Like Clockwork is the one that comes to mind. But for me, that doesn't make all 33s sound bad. 33s can sound fucking amazing. A lot of them do. The only things I avoid are the LPs that sound like shit, and that is always due to bad sourcing or bad mastering. It definitely bugs me that a lot of people throw money at records that sound bad and aren't made for sound quality. It only tells the bands and manufacturers that the target market doesn't care if they don't produce quality sound, so they decide not to bother. It's really frustrating.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    Is there any word on when they'll ship? I see it still says presale in the shop. Thanks for your patience if that's already been said and I missed it
  • Options

Is there any word on when they'll ship? I see it still says presale in the shop. Thanks for your patience if that's already been said and I missed it

Official word is that they will ship once all 2015 members have received the Deep Magazine and annual single.
  • Options
    Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626

Official word is that they will ship once all 2015 members have received the Deep Magazine and annual single.
    Hm okay. So I'm guessing about a month or so? I've yet to receive them here in Ontario. But I think I've read some people have gotten already.
  • Options
    It's being released August 5.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Still hard to believe these will be available again. So cool
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

PJ_Soul said:

lolobugg said:

benjs said:

lolobugg said:

at least I hope so.

If it's done right, I agree. I think I only have 2 45 LPs out of something like 200 albums though, and it's not because of avoidance. They just aren't made very often. I also have tons of 33 LPs that sound absolutely fantastic. Is a good 45 LP special? Sure. ... Like Clockwork is the one that comes to mind. But for me, that doesn't make all 33s sound bad. 33s can sound fucking amazing. A lot of them do. The only things I avoid are the LPs that sound like shit, and that is always due to bad sourcing or bad mastering. It definitely bugs me that a lot of people throw money at records that sound bad and aren't made for sound quality. It only tells the bands and manufacturers that the target market doesn't care if they don't produce quality sound, so they decide not to bother. It's really frustrating.
    Unfortunately - I would lump many of Pearl Jam's releases into this group.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    drewski_662drewski_662 Posts: 52
    edited May 2016

several:

"Alone" (Dave Abbruzzese, Ament, Gossard, McCready, Vedder) – 3:11
    Originally from the "Go" single. This version has new vocals and slightly different lyrics and is shorter than the B-side version.[10][14] The music from this version is from the Ten sessions.[12] Drummer Dave Abbruzzese gets writing credit for this because it wasn't published until 1993 (when all members were getting equal credit), even though it was written a year before he joined the band.[15]

"Black, Red, Yellow" (Vedder) – 3:26
    Originally from the "Hail, Hail" single. This version is longer than the B-side version.

"U" (Vedder) – 2:53
    Originally from the "Wishlist" single. A reworking of the B-side version. Listed as "You" on the back cover.[12]

"Hard to Imagine" (Gossard, Vedder) – 4:35
    Originally from the Chicago Cab soundtrack, which is from the Vitalogy sessions.[18] This version is an outtake from the Vs. sessions.[12]

"Footsteps" (Gossard, Vedder) – 3:54
    Originally from the "Jeremy" single. Recorded live during Pearl Jam's appearance on Rockline on May 11, 1992.[19] The harmonica was not present on the B-side version. The song's music, with different lyrics, also appeared on Temple of the Dog's self-titled LP under the name "Times of Trouble."

Wash" (Ament, Gossard, Dave Krusen, McCready, Vedder) – 3:48
    Originally from the "Alive" single. It also appeared as an extra track on European releases of Ten. This version is a different one than the B-side version.

"Drifting" (Vedder) – 2:53
    Originally from the 1999 fan club Christmas single. This version has a different vocal recording than the fan club Christmas single version, sung an octave higher.

"Dirty Frank" (Abbruzzese, Ament, Gossard, McCready, Vedder) – 5:42
    Originally from the "Even Flow" single. It also appeared as an extra track on European releases of Ten. This version is slightly longer than the B-side version and features quite a bit of the lyrics removed

"Brother" (Gossard) – 3:47
    Previously unreleased.[11] Ten outtake.[12] All vocals were removed from the original outtake version, making this version of the song an instrumental.[10] McCready recorded a new lead guitar part for this version.[10] Another version of "Brother" with vocals appears on the 2009 Ten reissue and became a radio hit that same year.[23]

This is a great synopsis! Also in "Alone" they have edited out the "I can't help myself don't talk to me" at the instrumental breakdown so it is just instrumental. Always was bummed about that as I thought it added a lot of atmosphere to the song. Also the re-recorded vocals I feel do not come close to the original, almost desperate wanting in the song. You can clearly tell it is sung from two much different places in EV's life. The original is hungrier if that makes sense. Always thought original version of song is clearly superior to LD version.
    Post edited by drewski_662 on
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,746
    I just hope they are able to release No Code & Yield now in 24 Bit 192khz Flac-HD.

• Options
    benjs said:

PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

PJ_Soul said:

lolobugg said:

benjs said:

lolobugg said:

at least I hope so.

Unfortunately - I would lump many of Pearl Jam's releases into this group.
    I think its a common misconception that PJ has promoted vinyl for its aural advantages that the format could afford. It seems to me that for them, its more about the aesthetic virtues of the format and that its a more tactile format to listen to music. It was especially the case in the 90s as digital technology took over, records were a more nostalgic format for them as the industry forced them into a new digital world. I mean, the lyrics to STBC don't mention anything about Dynamic Range or Inner Groove Distortion. So its not surprising to me that most of their stuff is not pressed with audiophilia in mind.

And frankly, thats a fine way to approach records and not wrong. Audiophilia has its merits too. But I think too many PJ fans get lost in the details that go into pressing a record and ultimately they will be continually disappointed by this band when it comes to their vinyl.

• Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Ok, well I have some slight reservations regarding these reissues, I mean I'm absolutely stoked they're being repressed and coming out for such good prices to the public, also its really wonderful for those that don't have these on vinyl can finally spin them, thats a fucking great thing. But, I'm a little concerned about how the sound quality will be...

Case in point this wording on the release page:

"Pearl Jam reissues Yield on 150-gram vinyl for the first time since the album has been available on the format since its original release. The album is mastered specifically for vinyl, by Grammy Award-winning engineer Bob Ludwig and it features recreations of their original packaging."

So the album(s) are 'mastered' for vinyl, hmmm...

Here's what the sticker says on the front of their last two reissues for Vs. and similarly for Vitalogy:

"Pearl Jam VS. Vinyl Edition 180-Gram Audiophile Pressing
    The explosive second album, Newly Remastered for vinyl featuring
    "Go," "Daughter," "Animal," "Dissident" and more!"

'Remastered' being the operative word here and also 'Audiophile', well I've heard both these remastered versions of Vs. and Vitalogy (as I'm sure most of you have) and compared to the original pressings that I have, well, they just don't compare, in sound quality anyway, they're decidedly average in the whole grand scheme of things. Which makes me kind of wary of how these newer ones will turn out. If the reissues for No Code and Yield sound exactly like the originals then they'll have done a good job, but the 'mastering' for vinyl didn't turn out so great last time around...

Sorry if I've rained on anyones parade, but just saying.
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    Yeah. People play loose and free with terms like "mastered for vinyl" and "audiophile".

I mean "remastered for vinyl" could essentially mean "cut to vinyl from an audio source". There are no specifics. It plays into people's ignorance.

That being said, unless you want pristine all analog transfers (which are incredibly rare in 2016), these will be fine. You'll be happy.
  • Options
    ^^^
    For 24 fucking 99 I will gladly take the chance of it being bad vinyl.
    Seriously folks.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,911
    New turntable for my birthday! No Code and Yield ordered as a present to myself. Might order the PJ slip may too!

Will then just need Binaural, Avacado and LB in vinyl of the studio albums.

Also have LD and Lo2L.

Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14