Options

It's Ok tag in Quebec for my wife and son

PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
Earlier this year my wife and I woke up to my 2 week old son barely breathing and was greyish blue in colour. I pinched him on the hand as hard as I could and he didn't even move or cry. We rushed him into the hospital and upon arrival we were swarmed by at least 20 medical staff. They worked on him for 30 of the longest minutes of our lives when he finally let out a huge whale of a cry. My wife and I just held each other crying tears of joy.

He had to be kept in intensive care and was hooked up to everything you can imagine. It was heart breaking to look at with him being so young. It turns out he was battling pneumonia and a strong dose of respiratory syncytial virus. During this time my wife never left his side. I don't think she slept even an hour a night while at the hospital. On the second day I was coming into the room with our other son and I stopped for a second outside the curtain. I could hear my wife singing the chorus of "It's Ok" to my son as she was was rocking him in her arms. When I walked in she had tears streaming down her face. This song I would later find out played a big part in allowing my wife to cope with the events that just happened and the recovery that was to follow. Even now every time this song comes on we are reminded how fortunate we are for him to make a full recovery. That day will forever be tied to that song.

We have huge regrets from this incident that we did not catch it sooner. We were told if we slept in a couple of more hours and did not detect our sons ailments things would have been much different. Because of this my wife has been extremely hard on herself since we left the hospital and has been glued to the monitor not missing a beat when he sleeps. If this song is played as a tag at the end of Daughter I truly feel my wife will be able to move on from this life changing event and we can look to the future.

This request is not about recognition or sympathy. If it is played no acknowledgement is wanted. My wife has no clue I am doing this and I would like it to be kept that way since we are very private people. I feel selfish as it is tying up this board with another request but I know I would regret it after the show if I didn't even try. If it is not played no worries, we will enjoy the show just as much and I am sure we will catch it another time. You guys are the best band in the world and I can not wait to rock out in Quebec.

Comments

• Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    I hope that this song gets played for and your family.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The It's OK tag from VA Beach in 2000 is one of the most powerful and emotional things I've heard.

Good thoughts to your family and hope your little one continues to thrive.
  • Options
    waveruewaverue Posts: 108
    this is a beautiful. i feel like chances are awesome that it'll happen. i know exactly what you mean about hearing something live and having it wash things away...it is truly powerful to hear a special song in person. i hope and pray that this kind of soul healing happens for you guys at the show. have a blast and we'll be there rocking out with you!
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    it's such a great tag. hope you get it bump.
  • Options
    JimminezJimminez Posts: 217
    Hopefully you get to hear it and more importantly, your wife does too. Glad things ended up fine for you guys, knowing how many times things go the other way.
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2016 - 5/5, 5/8, 5/10, 5/12, 8/5, 8/7
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    I would be lying if I said that story didn't hit a very soft spot, speaking as a father. That is one nightmare, that no parent ever wants to face. I am glad that everything worked out for the better for your family. I really hope you guys get the tag. I have a feeling you guys will. cheers.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Very happy to hear everything turned out ok and I'll be rooting for you to get it! They've warmed it up for you twice already on this tour in Miami and Hampton so if they see this I bet they play if for you.

I was hunting for it myself at the Philly and MSG shows but alas, it wasn't to be this time around. Maybe next time.

While the versions they played in 2000 definitely had bittersweet emotion on the heels of Rothskilde, the 9/11/11 is the greatest IMO. Just something about Ed's voice inflection and how he is seemingly pleading really makes it. On the boot you can literally hear some guy at the very end scream an emotional "Thank You". So great.

https://youtu.be/eIixVZ1y2zo
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. When you go through something like that it really does change your life forever for better or worse. I am so grateful that music, especially live music, is so powerful in healing you really can not put it into words. I couldn't imagine life with out this little guy in our lives and really feel for those that had a similar story with a worse outcome.
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    What a wonderful story - I'm so happy it turned out the way it did!
    I have fantastic idea of how you can help your wife in her healing/forgiving process!
    Why don't you insist that she go to the Quebec concert with one of her girl friends, while you stay at home and keep watch over your infant son?
    That way, your wife gets the time off she so richly deserves - and needs - and she won't be consumed with worry about your son's well being the whole night.
    It's a win/win situation! Your wife gets a worry-free night out and you get the satisfaction of having done something really loving, kind and generous for your wife and son!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    bump for this one. as a father, I can only imagine the feelings. I am so glad the story turned out positive! hopefully this gets played so your wife can wash away the pain! there's no other band as therapeutic as PJ, for anything that ails you.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    shecky said:

I have fantastic idea of how you can help your wife in her healing/forgiving process!
    Why don't you insist that she go to the Quebec concert with one of her girl friends, while you stay at home and keep watch over your infant son?
    That way, your wife gets the time off she so richly deserves - and needs - and she won't be consumed with worry about your son's well being the whole night.
    It's a win/win situation! Your wife gets a worry-free night out and you get the satisfaction of having done something really loving, kind and generous for your wife and son!

Great advice! Luckily we both have some of the best family members in the whole world. My mom and my mother-in-law, who is everything you would hope for, each offered to watch both of our little ones while we went on our first overnight trip together since our first was born. This is a trip we have planned together and its a long time coming. Don't worry though she will be plenty spoiled this weekend on Mothers Day.

• Options
    mrluthor9mrluthor9 Posts: 264
    I'm glad things turned out the way they did....I hope you guys get to hear the tag!
    All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives,.....choosing the shiny ones instead,......
  • Options

bump for this one. as a father, I can only imagine the feelings. I am so glad the story turned out positive! hopefully this gets played so your wife can wash away the pain! there's no other band as therapeutic as PJ, for anything that ails you.

Thanks for the comments. I couldn't agree with you more with the last sentence.
  • Options
    Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    edited May 2016
    Would love to hear this, it's my go-to "it's going to be okay" (specifically gorge 2006 night one) song and as you've written it is an important one for you guys too. Glad everything worked out!
  • Options
    camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375

Would love to hear this, it's my go-to "it's going to be okay" (specifically gorge 2006 night one) song and as you've written it is an important one for you guys too. Glad everything worked out!

Totally agree with this! Hope we all get it and I'll be thinking of your family.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,262
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Pap said:
    Wow this gave me chills on the transition to It's Ok. Thanks for shaing.
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    PJNB said:

shecky said:

Great advice! Luckily we both have some of the best family members in the whole world. My mom and my mother-in-law, who is everything you would hope for, each offered to watch both of our little ones while we went on our first overnight trip together since our first was born. This is a trip we have planned together and its a long time coming. Don't worry though she will be plenty spoiled this weekend on Mothers Day.

That's awesome!
    All you two will have to be concerned with is having a FANTASTIC time!

• Options
    shecky said:

PJNB said:

shecky said:

That's awesome!
    All you two will have to be concerned with is having a FANTASTIC time!

I don't think we will have to worry about that. With this awesome band and its amazing fans I think that will take care of itself. Also just wanted to say thanks again to everyones comments. It wasn't my original plan to go into so much detail but it just all came out. I just wanted to show to everyone another example of how powerful music is.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited May 2016
    What a touching story...

I really hope you and your wife get your song. :)

... And I actually hope you get your song before I get mine (Get Right thread). I would love to hear both. :)
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    mcatakemcatake Posts: 102
    OP - I'm glad to hear your son is fine and hope you get your song.

My wife and I had a very similar experience two years ago. Our daughter was 2 months old and by coincidence we were watching PJ20 around 9:20 pm on a Monday night. Our daughter was asleep while my wife was holding her and she sensed that something wasn't right. We threw the lights and found she had stopped breathing and was turning blue. I grabbed her lifeless little body from my wife and started doing CPR while my wife called 911. It only took EMS about 5 minutes to get there but she still wasn't breathing and turning a very deep blue. It took about another 12-15 minutes of EMS doing CPR to finally get her to breath. They quickly rushed her to the hospital where she stayed in NICU for 3 weeks. For the first week she would stop breathing about every two hours long enough to start turning blue but never quite to the point of needing CPR again. Leading up to this event we had her at the pediatrician twice in the previous 5 days because she had this "cold" that wouldn't go away but never in a million years did the pediatrician or us see this coming. She just didn't give any signs she was that ill.
    Ultimately she tested positive for pertussis (whooping cough) in the hospital. Ironically she was scheduled to get her first pertussis vaccination the day after she stopped breathing. (Vaccination soap box - people, get your f'n kids vaccinated so you don't kill other people's kids!! Our daughter was lucky but so many other babies aren't.) There was no violent coughing outbursts or crying leading up to her not breathing. She just quietly went from sleeping to not breathing. Had my wife not been holding her at that moment and she instead been in her bassinet the outcome would have been tragically different. A miracle really. Two years later she is a perfectly healthy littler toddler.

Oh, it's a fragile thing
    This life we lead
    If I think too much I can get overwhelmed by the grace
    By which we live our lives with death over our shoulders
  • Options
    mcatake said:

My wife and I had a very similar experience two years ago. Our daughter was 2 months old and by coincidence we were watching PJ20 around 9:20 pm on a Monday night. Our daughter was asleep while my wife was holding her and she sensed that something wasn't right. We threw the lights and found she had stopped breathing and was turning blue. I grabbed her lifeless little body from my wife and started doing CPR while my wife called 911. It only took EMS about 5 minutes to get there but she still wasn't breathing and turning a very deep blue. It took about another 12-15 minutes of EMS doing CPR to finally get her to breath. They quickly rushed her to the hospital where she stayed in NICU for 3 weeks. For the first week she would stop breathing about every two hours long enough to start turning blue but never quite to the point of needing CPR again. Leading up to this event we had her at the pediatrician twice in the previous 5 days because she had this "cold" that wouldn't go away but never in a million years did the pediatrician or us see this coming. She just didn't give any signs she was that ill.
    Ultimately she tested positive for pertussis (whooping cough) in the hospital. Ironically she was scheduled to get her first pertussis vaccination the day after she stopped breathing. (Vaccination soap box - people, get your f'n kids vaccinated so you don't kill other people's kids!! Our daughter was lucky but so many other babies aren't.) There was no violent coughing outbursts or crying leading up to her not breathing. She just quietly went from sleeping to not breathing. Had my wife not been holding her at that moment and she instead been in her bassinet the outcome would have been tragically different. A miracle really. Two years later she is a perfectly healthy littler toddler.

Oh, it's a fragile thing
    This life we lead

Wow what scary story. Thanks for sharing this with me.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mcatake said:

Oh, it's a fragile thing
    This life we lead

Wow.

Bless your wife and her intuition.

(CPR soapbox)
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,707
    Bump
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 691
    Glad to hear your son is okay... Also glad to hear the tag was played must've been a very special moment.
  • Options
    JimminezJimminez Posts: 217
    Congrats.
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2016 - 5/5, 5/8, 5/10, 5/12, 8/5, 8/7
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    Congrats to you and your wife, such an amazing band that takes care of their fans. Seems like this entire show was just extremely heart warming. Each and every single member of this band are just incredible human beings.
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    They played all 3 requests tonight, but each one was special and deserved it, was super stoked for you when I heard that, what an amazing night and an amazing band
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    awesome congrats!!!!!!!!!!

BEST BAND ON THE PLANET!!!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Congrats! Thought about you while following along on periscope as it started. I'm sure you and your wife enjoyed it and will remember the moment forever. Great stuff.