Options

How is it considered 'ok' to do the periscope thing at shows?

iamrockmusiciamrockmusic Orlando, FL Posts: 443
So I am probably just setting myself up to get ridiculed, but how is watching a live feed of a concert on Perisocpe different from stealing music online? Aren't you using the Internet to gain access (lower quality access, at that) to something for which you don't hold a ticket? The band puts out every one of their shows on CD/download, the first modern band to do so and still basically the only one to do so, and yet in this modern age, even that is not enough. The people fortunate enough to be in the arena should get first crack at enjoying the show, should they not? The band is performing for those very ticket holders, are they not? I haven't yet ever seen or heard Ed at any of the shows I've been fortunate to attend say "This one's for all the people watching for free online!!!!" This is just my opinion, but I think those who broadcast from inside the venue on periscope and those who watch the feeds are all diminishing the value and the experience of the shows and to be totally blunt about it, stealing copyrighted art of performers whom they have not gotten permission to steal from. If the band wanted anyone and everyone to be able to see every show as it happens, they'd authorize a live broadcast and make a buck off of it wouldn't they? And it would be their right to do so, wouldn't it?

I'm just scratching my head over what appears to me to be another example of the me-first, instant gratification, and sense of entitlement that gets more and more prevalent every single day. Maybe I'm just out of touch, but it sure as hell seems to me like the periscopers are deliberately stealing/sharing material for which they have no legal (or you could even argue moral) right to do so. And the real head scratcher is that they're stealing it from a band they claim to love and value...

Am I just missing something? To be honest, I'm surprised Sea, Kat and the administrators of the boards even allow the links to be posted.
Maybe I'm wrong. What say you? And don't be rude please - I'm all for hearing arguments but let's stick with logic, common sense and a basic level of respect.
Mesa 11/7/93 - Charlotte 10/4/96 - DC 6/14/98 - Raleigh 8/31/98 - Knoxville 9/6/98 - Columbia MD 9/18/98 - DC 9/19/98 - Columbia MD 9/4/00 - Phoenix 10/21/00 - Raleigh 4/15/03 - Phoenix 6/7/03 - Philadelphia 5/27&28/06 - DC 5/30/06 - Las Vegas 7/6/06 - San Diego 7/7/06 - LA 7/9&10/06 - Gorge 7/22&23/06 - Chicago 8/5/07 - PJ20 9/3&4/11 - Jacksonville 11/24/12 (EV) - Orlando 11/27/12 (EV) - Brooklyn 10/18&19/13 - Charlotte 10/30/13 - Memphis 10/14/14 - Ft Lauderdale 4/8/16 - Miami 4/9/16 - Jacksonville 4/13/16 - Hampton 4/18/16 - Chicago 8/20&22/16

Comments

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    edited May 2016
    Dude have your ever watched a periscope video? It's nothing compared to being in the building. No one is periscoping with HD 4k camera and pro audio. A lot of the time the video is grainy/shaky and the sound is being sent through a cell phone microphone. Its no different than YouTube videos or calling someone during a show to hear the song.

NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    edited May 2016
    One of the first and the only modern band to put all of their shows on CD? The Grateful Dead, Phish, String Cheese Incident, My Morning Jacket, Widespread Panic, The Black Crowes all say hi.

Okay...now onto the basis of your argument. I don't really see what the problem is here. The band isn't really losing money from the Periscopers. They're selling out the venues they're playing at. If anything they're gaining even more exposure through the live video feeds.

I don't think Periscopers have a right to be rude to the people actually at the venue, which I'd something I definitely have seen. But that's the only negative thing I've seen come of this.
    Post edited by AlaG on
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,638
    You're fuckin nuts...with any due respect i may owe. If this was happening in the 80s Eddie would probably be checkin the periscope himself of whatever R.E.M. show was happening. You're clearly out of touch with everything the band stands for. This kind of thing is why Pearl Jam started to release bootlegs. I don't even think they're against audience bootlegs now, as there is typically a decent one for every show. They are just smart enough to capitalize on the fact that most fans are willing to pay for a polished recording of the shows. To get the same experience watching a periscope as being at the show...well you better have some damn good drugs. 'Get off my lawn'! is what you sound like.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,638
    I thought this was gonna be a thread ripping periscopers, which i find silly. Who the hell would want to waste a great show recording for strangers at home? But you took a different angle and I am baffled by whatever point you are trying to make. I love being able to watch periscope.
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    edited May 2016
    actually Periscope is far inferior to good quality youtube videos, all the audio I have heard on Periscope has been sub-par, some of them I just had to stop like tonight, couldn't take it anymore, this is an average youtube video from 2006, and it is far superior audio to anything that has been on Periscope, all I know is that it has made me want the bootlegs more
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTeFoXhxJK8
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    First of all, there are bands out there that offer instant bootlegs of their shows. I went to a moe show recently, and my friend showed me that he always buys a USB stick at the merch table, when the show is over, he goes back to pick up the stick with that nights show already loaded onto it. I didn't ask if video is included, but I was pretty impressed. He said the sound is good since they record from the soundboard.

I don't think of it as stealing since the video is crap, and the sound isn't so great. Usually when people 'steal music online' it is a finished product.

I will admit I've been watching the last few shows, some of us get together and watch and chat online about the show,, "oh, they got Chloe/COT...they are so lucky!" then we chat with the people we know that were at the show afterwards, it's kinda cool that we can be at the show with them virtually. No, it's not the same but it's fun.

Look at football, baseball, basketball, soccer or any sports games...tickets cost hundreds of dollars but they are shown on TV for free-for the most part. Of course I'm excluding special things like UFC.

Where do you draw the line?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    How can you stop it even if they wanted to?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    im ok with whatever make s the fans happy in that matter..its so cool people can watch whats going on in real time,,i usually have a link open to listen,cant watch during relay
    and its not even close..to watch periscope,or listen the bootleg or youtube videos ,eith be in the show..
    live music man..u smell it,,u feel it..gets into you...crowd,music,all hyour sences are in high alert...
    u cant feel anything from a scren on your laptop or your tablet
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    I don't really bother with the Periscope thing as the few I've watched were either poor quality or kept getting cut off. My problem with it isn't that though. I went to see Nathanie Rateliff last month and for the majority of the show I had the displeasure of 5-10 bright screens waving in front of me so that people without a ticket can "share" the experience. Take a few souvenir photos or whatever but is it really enjoyable to spend more time making sure you have a decent video than actually enjoying experiencing your favourite bands properly? Social media might be your thing at a show but that doesn't mean the people behind you share your views.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    I can guarantee you that periscope isn't costing pearl jam $1. Nobody in the history of the world ever said "I'm not going to get thise pearl jam tickets because someone will be periscoping the show."
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited May 2016
    I would be annoyed if a giant was in front of me hoisting his giant glow pad toward the stage all night. Other than that, the only bad thing about Periscope is the video. I usually listen the stream on my phone and watch the setlist thread here. If anything, Pearl Jam is taking more of my time, not sure if that is a good thing. :whistle:
    Post edited by buck502000 on
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    RKCNDY said:

First of all, there are bands out there that offer instant bootlegs of their shows. I went to a moe show recently, and my friend showed me that he always buys a USB stick at the merch table, when the show is over, he goes back to pick up the stick with that nights show already loaded onto it. I didn't ask if video is included, but I was pretty impressed. He said the sound is good since they record from the soundboard.

I don't think of it as stealing since the video is crap, and the sound isn't so great. Usually when people 'steal music online' it is a finished product.

I will admit I've been watching the last few shows, some of us get together and watch and chat online about the show,, "oh, they got Chloe/COT...they are so lucky!" then we chat with the people we know that were at the show afterwards, it's kinda cool that we can be at the show with them virtually. No, it's not the same but it's fun.

Look at football, baseball, basketball, soccer or any sports games...tickets cost hundreds of dollars but they are shown on TV for free-for the most part. Of course I'm excluding special things like UFC.

Where do you draw the line?

just in case you were curious, no, the moe. usb's do not include video. With every tickets barcode at phish shows, basically 2 minutes after the encore is done you go to livephish and download a SBD copy of the show for free (well, they raised the price of tix $10 years ago when they started doing this).

How'd you like moe?
  • Options
    nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    I've been trying to figure out why someone that is actually AT the show would want to hold their phone for 3+ hours just to periscope the show for all us folks not in attendance.

Put the phone down and enjoy the show!
  • Options

I can guarantee you that periscope isn't costing pearl jam $1. Nobody in the history of the world ever said "I'm not going to get thise pearl jam tickets because someone will be periscoping the show."

actually it is making them money, as I was listening to the crappy Greenville feed, I kept thinking I can't wait for this bootleg to come out, the one thing you can tell is crowd reaction, you can get a feeling for what kind of crowd it is
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    Ok so you don't want anyone who couldn't attend or got shut out of tickets to get to see some crappy feed with people talking and shaky unfocused pict ...why ?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    withflyingcolorswithflyingcolors CO Posts: 467
    It is really harmless unless the person periscoping is ruining someone's enjoyment around them. The people I've watched seem to be doing it quite discretely. I am going to all the shows I can afford this year (3) and am having fun listening to the periscope from home. Sunday night I was cooking and cleaning having a blast listening to MSG1. Like someone said above, I've already picked out 2 bootlegs I want to buy in addition to my own shows.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

just in case you were curious, no, the moe. usb's do not include video. With every tickets barcode at phish shows, basically 2 minutes after the encore is done you go to livephish and download a SBD copy of the show for free (well, they raised the price of tix $10 years ago when they started doing this).

How'd you like moe?

It was cool, I now know what Coachella confined to a small venue smells like...and it probably would have helped if I had more of an 'altitude adjustment' to fully enjoy the experience. :lol:

Periscope is just a newer version of hiding a tape recorder in your pocket. Though I don't like being the short person stuck behind the tall person holding his phablet up the entire show.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    RKCNDY said:

That it is, big time :)

• Options
    lukins fridgelukins fridge Posts: 237
    I can understand questioning the ethics of it from a band-money perspective. Or being upset about someone disrupting the people around them at the show so they can film the event (this would piss me off). But it sounds like you are upset about others seeing what you're seeing and it's somehow taking away from your experience. That's ridiculous. It is nothing like being in the building, It's just a way for psycho fans like me to follow along.

I was still reeling from both Philly shows and wished I could have swung NY. Being able to tune in for part of each of the last two nights was a way to ease some of the disappointment I had from not being able to make NY happen.

And oh by the way, the technology is incredible. It's amazing that we can do this. That along should give you some respect to the whole thing.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    everyone ripping the OP needs to calm down. I somewhat agree with the premise of his post. imagine what will happen in 5 years when you can periscope in HD video and audio quality. you will see a very different tone to these responses. and also from the mods. you didn't pay to see the show, so you shouldn't see the show. that makes sense in a black and white world. as others have said, however, as of right now, the feeds are pretty terrible most of the time, so it's not like you are going to have people staying home to watch on periscope instead of going to the show.

YET.

remember when downloading off the net was low quality? no one made a big fuss over it until that quality got close or the same as the actual product and people stopped PAYING. it's coming. you know it is.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    Simple solution, confiscate everyone's cell phone at the door.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options

Ok so you don't want anyone who couldn't attend or got shut out of tickets to get to see some crappy feed with people talking and shaky unfocused pict ...why ?

RS151862 said:

fucking nazis!
  • Options
    if someone was periscoping in front of me, I'd be fucking pissed. I wonder if they'll ever come out with a function where you can record video but have your screen off, or darkened some way.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

if someone was periscoping in front of me, I'd be fucking pissed. I wonder if they'll ever come out with a function where you can record video but have your screen off, or darkened some way.

yeah I was totally pissed when I went to Batman v Superman IMAX 3D and some fucker every 5 minutes kept turning on his phone to talk notes into it, so I walked out and had them give me tickets for another show, at a Pearl Jam show I would be way more pissed
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

I've been trying to figure out why someone that is actually AT the show would want to hold their phone for 3+ hours just to periscope the show for all us folks not in attendance.

Put the phone down and enjoy the show!

• Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    The periscoper we were watching last night had a good system down, they seemed to have attached their phone to the rail in their section (or maybe just propped it up).
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    smc317smc317 New Jersey Posts: 14
    RS151862 said:

Haha, after sitting behind a row of 4 people at MSG 1 who couldn't get off their damn phones all night and dealing with that glow, I'm in favor of this!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726
    Steve Kroft of 60 Minutes: "How have audiences changed since you first performed The Wall 35 years ago?"

Roger Waters: "I'll tell you how they've changed: THEY ALL HAVE FUCKING CELL-PHONES! 'Oh! I love this song! I love it so much that I have to send it to PEDRO!'"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726

remember when downloading off the net was low quality? no one made a big fuss over it until that quality got close or the same as the actual product and people stopped PAYING. it's coming. you know it is.

Good point but I don't think there was that much of a gap between low-quality MP3s vs a CD. Being in the building for a live show and watching a shitty stream is a much bigger gap.

I keep seeing these live streams of PJ shows in my facebook feed this tour and sometimes I click on them and watch for like thirty seconds...but that's it. I can't imagine just sitting there and watching it. That said, for people that live in East Bumblefuck and could never attend a show, it's nice for them to be sorta involved in the experience. I live near Philly. I can see Pearl Jam every single year. Others aren't as fortunate. For them, I guess a live stream off a cell phone is better than nothing.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

Good point but I don't think there was that much of a gap between low-quality MP3s vs a CD. Being in the building for a live show and watching a shitty stream is a much bigger gap.

I keep seeing these live streams of PJ shows in my facebook feed this tour and sometimes I click on them and watch for like thirty seconds...but that's it. I can't imagine just sitting there and watching it. That said, for people that live in East Bumblefuck and could never attend a show, it's nice for them to be sorta involved in the experience. I live near Philly. I can see Pearl Jam every single year. Others aren't as fortunate. For them, I guess a live stream off a cell phone is better than nothing.
    true, I was just trying to draw the closest possible parallel. I just saw a video of a new technology that some of the riches companies in the world are investing in. they showed a killer whale diving in the water, in the middle of a elementary school gym. totally 3D, as if you were there. it's crazy. imagine if you could do that with PJ in your living room! and have a live audio feed as well! no one would leave their homes!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com