Options

*** New York, NY Fanviews Here 5/2/16 ***

Comments

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,159
    Loved both nights, sect 117 night one thru a fellow 10c members generosity!! Sect 118 tonight....I liked night one a lil better but that's splitting hairs.

They got on a little later tonight & ended 15 minutes earlier that was a bummer, prob out of their control on the later.

Was hoping for Marker & inside job when all the possible whole Avocado being played talk started ...... A few of the repeats I'd sprinkle in some Avocado, riot act, binaural instead , hey but that's just me.

Night one was such a high that this was FUCKED from the get go. Cheap Trick & Sting were Stellar. Garden, Deep, SOLAT,& All or none were highlights for me.

Pendulum was pretty powerful too.

Power problems are embarrassing.

i wish it went on a lil longer my only real beef

They are killing it the last 3 nights I've seen them

Thank you for the great memories

Glad tomorrow's a day of work :)
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    edited May 2016
    Looks like a fun show.

Throw in crap like Sweet Lew and Dirty Frank along with a couple of filler track's from the 00's albums = instantly greatest show ever according to setlist critics.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    edited May 2016
    Tonight was first my seeing them in GA and it was fucking amazing. I don't really have the words to describe what this night was. So with that being said I'm just gonna say this, THANK YOU to everyone involved with this band and THANK YOU to this band for being in my life, I will forever be grateful to have found this band back when I was 7 years old. Oh and before I forget, to the dude who said I had a nice ass, idk if you were being serious or kidding, but either way, wtf dude wtf
    Post edited by Gary Carter on
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Tonight the crowd was better than night 1 but everything else was not. The night suffered from multiple sound problems and a repeat setlist that was a little meh.
    It was ok, not amazing. A little disappointed for NYC, they deserved better.

No offense, but...
    This sums it up pretty well...classic NYC "center of the universe" attitude where if MSG doesn't get the absolute craziest show then people feel like they were duped and ripped off. Chicago has the same mentality. It's a shame people can't just appreciate an amazing show without expecting it to be the balls out best of the tour set list.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    KabutarKabutar Posts: 17
    A
    MajLreap said:

Sound was terrible tonight. Had almost the exact same seats as last night but the sound was different. I've said this for years but get new sound people. I've seen a lot of big bands in big venues and Pearl Jam always seems to have all the levels wrong. So much feedback from the mic at the beginning which should just never happen. Also, Porch cutting out twice is so unnecessary. Come on..you're one of the greatest bands to walk the earth and it was amateur hour tonight as far as behind the scenes stuff goes. I've never left a show disappointed but tonight was the closest and it had little to do with the band. Granted the set looks better on paper. I thought Ed sounded horse and was pulling away from the mic a lot tonight but my biggest gripe was with the sound. Oh well.. I'm still glad I came to NYC because last night was great. I just really hope they fix their sound.

Agree, the sound being poor for a large portion of the show along with Vedder pulling back on the mic and letting the crowd sing, and drown him out when he was singing, was really disappointing. He is one of the best singers of all time and it is very important for me to hear him or I can't feel the show. Most don't seem to care and that is fine, but straining to hear for hours was a bit torturous. I came home and listened to PJ Cds.
  • Options
    CB116161CB116161 Posts: 9
    I love Surrender! This needs to go in the rotation with RITFW and Baba to end shows!
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,091
    Best thing I heard leaving last night: "I had no idea who any of the people that played with them were. They were kinda boring"
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    NICE!!

And a special hello/congrats to a dear friend of mine who was in attendance!
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    "(I mean do you have any idea how much they make off merchandise on a nightly basis? Not even Springsteen fans will wait on line two hours for a poster)"

That probably says more about us than about Springsteen fans...and not in a positive way.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    Dayumnm !!! Show looked like a ton of fun! Periscoped it from bed lol. Wow it looked intense at the garden last night. Sting And Rick n. ?? Seems "rare enough" for me. Take that all day.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,846
    My 5th show of the tour, my fourth in five days. I once again leave feeling completely fulfilled and grateful to have the opportunity to see my favorite band of all time. I will admit- I expected more rarities these two nights. But it didn't matter what I expected after the experience of two hard hitting and expertly chosen setlists.

My highlights tonight were obviously the guests spots, but also the Man trilogy, the run from Present Tense to Porch to end the first encore and a super loud Baba.

My 23rd show, see you at 24-25 in Fenway!
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,937
    Looks like a couple of big nights at MSG! Now bring these shows down under PJ. Australia is waiting! Looking forward to following the sets from the Canadian shows!
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    i finally felt the floor really bounce at the garden.. it's always talked about, but i never really felt it because i think i was one of the bouncees- i was jumping up and down so i missed it at any crazy point in the past. last night a few times like DTE i stood flat for a few moments and got to feel it.. really cool

another weird phenomenon - 3 shows in a row these last 3, someone random next to me asked if i wanted to see the setlist- im glad they asked and respected my "NOOOOOO" but where are all these people getting these leaked setlists? why do they want to even know.. i dont get it
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    two great nights once again. band continues to bring it every night and show why they are still around playing arenas. the Driven to Tears last night was amazing. Both nights had there moments so can't say which is better. 30 and 31 in the books , now to Fenway!
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    edited May 2016
    It was nice to see present tense back in the line up! Hide your love away was a gem. Absolutely loved that they covered another album last night from front to back: singles! Breath and state sounded absolutely fantastic. Sting was cool to see and baba was stellar.

This was a weird show for me because it had a lots of peaks and valleys. You had the peak of a tremendous corduroy and baba but a really huge energy killer with back to back "all or none" and "Pendulum". It was just an odd set overall; it didn't appear to flow too well. The crowd seemed to be a thousand times better at msg 1 as compared to last night. Ed was constantly trying throughout the night to get the crowd going. To me and a lot of people in my section Ed's voice sounded pretty shot and the band itself seemed a tad lethargic probably from the energetic first set from msg 1.

After present tense it was as if the band found their energy from the previous night and woke up; it was seriously like two concerts in one.

After the show I was rather perplexed as to why so many songs are being ignored over the past few days. Songs like severed hand, moth, marker, red mosquito (which mike would kill!), faithful, dissident, wws, nais and grievance need to be played more.
    This band has such a deep catalogue I just wish they would add some of those songs.

Tech issues unfortunately plagued the band throughout the night. You could tell Ed was freaking pissed during porch since the sound went out a few times.

Overall it was a fun little run over the past week. In order I'd go: msg 1, philly 1 and then msg 2.

See everyone at Fenway 2!
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    willnycwillnyc ...nyc Posts: 131
    deep AND garden? that first encore was incredible. 2 guests? leash was killer. the band was clearly (as was the case in Philly and MSG1) having a blast, as I did. great 5 days. glad I have Fenway/2 more shows to look forward to this calendar year.
  • Options
    sarnocmsarnocm York, ME Posts: 81
    What a difference bad neighbors makes. Guy on 1 side was a ticket flipper who couldn't sell the tickets in 114 that he had listed for $1000, so he decided to go to the show himself. Woman on the other side was asleep in her chair in the middle of the main set! How is that possible? Then she left at 1st encore break. At least that freed up a chair for my friend sitting in 400s to come down and join us.

1993 Berkeley
    1995 SF Polo grounds
    2010 Boston
    2013 Worcester 1, Worcester 2, Hartford
    2014 Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Denver
    2015 GCF
    2016 Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2
    2017 RRHOF

2018 Wrigley 1, Fenway 1&2

2022 EV—NYC 2, Berlin, Imola, Quebec City, Camden

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774
    edited May 2016
    sarnocm said:

What a difference bad neighbors makes. Guy on 1 side was a ticket flipper who couldn't sell the tickets in 114 that he had listed for $1000, so he decided to go to the show himself. Woman on the other side was asleep in her chair in the middle of the main set! How is that possible? Then she left at 1st encore break. At least that freed up a chair for my friend sitting in 400s to come down and join us.

Lady next to me in GA was obviously super important and busy. Looking down at her phone and emailing and texting for 2.5 hours. It was hilarious. Besides her the pit was rocking. Usually when someone has their phone in their hands during a shows its to film or take pics. This was the first time I saw someone texting and emailing for that long. Waste of a Ga ticket
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    oh and even flow into sirens?! wtf?! that's like having really hot sex and then stopping in the middle of it to go look at your stamp collection.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    abulrabulr Posts: 80
    edited May 2016
    30th show and by far the worst sound issues i have ever seen. At one point it sounded like the band members instruments were off and they weren't even aware of it. I have never seen them sound so off before. In this day and age, to have technical / wireless / feedback issues... I dunno, i'm no sound guy, but seems like someone maybe getting fired over this.

I have never seen Eddie so angry. (Ok maybe back in 1995, but definitely not due to technical problems).

The lady at the soundboard kept shaking her head.

Having said that, i think the right column on the set list is one of my dream sets. Driven to Tears with Sting is something i never thought i'd see.

I won't lie, MSG has better energy, but Barclays is newer, and acoustically much better. I wish the sound issues could be blamed on MSG, and maybe they'd do Barc on their next NYC trip, but sadly, i think it's related to the equipment?

Surrender was cool, but Driven to Tears with Sting was something I'll be talking about for years to come.

Lastly, Baba... for some reason, sounds better at MSG than anywhere else.

p.s. right before the tambourine issues with the kid, there was another guy closer to mike-side who grabbed the tambourine even though Ed was pointing and clearly trying to say to give it to another guy, he said something like "was meant for him... him [pointing]" and then cursed [away from the mike] and shook his head... i mean come on people, it's not that hard, i was about to grab one yesterday and he shakes his head and points to the tiny girl to my left, and i just smiled and put my arms to the side... he (as usual) did the right thing
    Post edited by abulr on
    9/95 N.O. ; 9/96 Randall's 1&2 ; 9/98 Continental ; 9/98 - MSG 1 & 2 ; 5/00 - Wembley ; 8/00 - Jones Beach 1,2&3 ; 7/03 - MSG 1&2 ; 5/06 - Irving Plaza ; 6/06 - Continental 1&2 ; 6/08 - MSG 1&2 ; 6/08 - Beacon ; 10/09 - Spectrum 2&3 ; 05/10 - Prudential ; 05/10 - MSG 1&2; 10/13 - Barclays 1&2 ; 10/14 Memphis ; 9/15 Central Park; 4/16 Philly 2; 5/16 MSG 1&2; 5/16 QC; 8/16 Boston; 8/16 Chicago 1&2; 8/18 Seattle 1&2; 8/18 Boston
  • Options
    caughtAboltcaughtAbolt Posts: 39
    edited May 2016
    who cares about the repeats? It looked to me like 20k people or whatever were happily singing along to them!? If they were "repeats" to you, consider yourself lucky to be there both nights

I thought the setlists were great and I got to hear pretty much everything I really wanted to hear over the two nights other than Immortality
    Post edited by caughtAbolt on
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,249
    teskeinc said:

Whoever shot those videos above really rocks! Awesome job!

No kidding! mfc172, you are the best! I wish I could have your seats, but you get the best videos.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    abulrabulr Posts: 80
    teskeinc said:

agreed... good work...
    anyone happen to get Evenflow on video, or the snippet where Eddie throws the mic to the crowd? trying to track that down... thanks!
    9/95 N.O. ; 9/96 Randall's 1&2 ; 9/98 Continental ; 9/98 - MSG 1 & 2 ; 5/00 - Wembley ; 8/00 - Jones Beach 1,2&3 ; 7/03 - MSG 1&2 ; 5/06 - Irving Plaza ; 6/06 - Continental 1&2 ; 6/08 - MSG 1&2 ; 6/08 - Beacon ; 10/09 - Spectrum 2&3 ; 05/10 - Prudential ; 05/10 - MSG 1&2; 10/13 - Barclays 1&2 ; 10/14 Memphis ; 9/15 Central Park; 4/16 Philly 2; 5/16 MSG 1&2; 5/16 QC; 8/16 Boston; 8/16 Chicago 1&2; 8/18 Seattle 1&2; 8/18 Boston
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    abulr said:

teskeinc said:

agreed... good work...
    anyone happen to get Evenflow on video, or the snippet where Eddie throws the mic to the crowd? trying to track that down... thanks!
    i dunno but i was watching on the big screen, was really cool how the guy he threw the mic to wanted to get his neighbors involved and passed it around..
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    mcgruff10 said:

oh and even flow into sirens?! wtf?! that's like having really hot sex and then stopping in the middle of it to go look at your stamp collection.

Classic
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    This show ends my little tour for now until Fenway 2 and Wrigley 1. I was surprised not to hear any avocado or binaural. However, the moment I'm standing in a PJ concert listening to my favorite band play any song they wish and I have an ounce of disappointment in the songs they choose is the moment I kick myself in the face to wake myself up and re-evaluate my life and my gratitude list.

This show was simply awesome! Many repeats but they all sounded great. It was my 16 yo daughter's first real PJ show (she went to GCF). She's a true fan at this point and to watch the delight in her face when each song started up was indescribable. It was like experiencing it all for the first time again. We had perfect 10c seats for her first show. 102. Dead center. 2nd row in the section. Straight back from the stage. She could see the lights, stage and the entire crowd without turning her head at all!

Mom look how everybody in the pit starts jumping at the same time!

Wow!!! everybody screams "MIND YOUR MANNERS!!!!" Exactly together!

ONCE (fist pump) UPON A TIME....

12345 against 1 (with the fingers counting in the air)

Yeah FUCKERS!!! He still stands!!! (Yes she yelled fuckers with the rest of us. :lol:)

I got very emotional during small town. I guess just thinking about my life and how it's changed and what my expectations were and having her there with me. It was intense.

Man trilogy. I have no words for that one. Clearly betterman is a very special song to me. To hear all three of those in a row was definitely a rare treat

Before the tour I'd hoped to hear garden, deep, leash. Got them all.

Mikes solo on all or none is just so bluesy and heartfelt. It really speaks to me. He's such a rock star. Sucks that the crowd was more concerned about their beer at that point.

My daughter also wanted present tense and breath so that was awesome for her to hear them back to back

Those were the highlights but every moment of every PJ concert is a highlight for me. I'm so grateful to this band for all they have done and continue to do. I'm so grateful to my family for making it possible for this working mom of 3 to take off for 36 hours and fly from NJ to SC for Greenville and for holding our lives together while I just saw 4 shows in 5 days! Gratitude. I'm so grateful for my brother for being my PJ buddy and making the entire experience full of everything we wanted it to be.

Funny note.... My daughter has seen Sting at both of her PJ shows :confused:
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,249

Best thing I heard leaving last night: "I had no idea who any of the people that played with them were. They were kinda boring"

LOL. We went to see Richard Thompson and Glen Hansard a few months ago; Glen Hansard's great live, but RT has been performing for longer than I've been alive, he's an amazing guitarist and songwriter, still creating great albums -- he's an incredible talent and performer. People in front of us: "Who is this guy?"

Anyway, the concert: I agree with both the positive and the negative reviews. Band energy was great, crowd energy was great, "Surrender" and DTT were awesome, the guys really bring it every night, Leash into the first encore (Present Tense! Breath!) was killer. But the set list was underwhelming, compared to night 1, compared to Philly (meaning, lots of repeats from Philly, not Philly is better than NYC). I don't have the "NYC is special" attitude. For me, I think it's more a matter of Ten just not being my favorite PJ album, by quite a long shot, and I feel as if that album got a lot of play in Philly and NYC. I get the need to balance between more casual fans and die-hards, and I know how hard it is to get a ticket to MSG -- this was our first MSG show, and we've lived in New Jersey for eleven years! But I, personally, would have liked to see more tracks from other albums getting played.

I had a great time, nonetheless.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    SB51327SB51327 NJ Posts: 35

I had a great time. I was looking to trade my FC GA for reserved and I am glad I didn't. I showed up around 7:30 and I was about 10 rows back on Stones side. Like most of you I have been to many shows and I liked the setlist. I brought a friend who as a casual fan and he had a blast. I thought the crowd was awesome and much better than night 1. The GA experience was awesome, and I had some cool people by me including a little kid maybe 10. I heard the sound issues like everyone else, but it didn't bother me. Of course, when it cut out during porch that was a bit annoying and sucked a bit of life out of the show. When Sting came out, that was really cool, and I don't know how he looks younger now than he did 20 years ago. I did have one complaint, and I hope the creepy guys read this. On the right side, Jill was sitting in section 109 right by where I was. These two guys who seemed to be fans would literally stalk her every movement. They would stop watching the show just to stare at her. She would often come down to floor level and go backstage and then go back to her seat. Every time these creepy guys were calling for her and taking pictures. So just gave them this look like "leave me alone". I was so disturbed by it I took a picture of them with the intention to post it but I won't. Just enjoy the show do you really need to stalk Eddie's wife? I saw a lot of celebrities and Dennis Rodman was standing side stage the whole show with no animation at all, he must be sober now. Anyway, it was a great night for me as I am no setlist snob.
  • Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    Sounds like New York City has a hard time dealing with proper tambourine dissemination protocol.

Shame on you NYC. Shame!
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    hsohi said:

"(I mean do you have any idea how much they make off merchandise on a nightly basis? Not even Springsteen fans will wait on line two hours for a poster)"

That probably says more about us than about Springsteen fans...and not in a positive way.

no long sleeve t's at the merch tents on this tour... Dammit!!!