*** New York, NY Fanviews Here 5/2/16 ***

Comments

• Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 489
    edited May 2016

They should play the same set (w/ a couple changes every other night) like 95% of the bands that tour regularly.

I'll bet every member of the band or their crew has, once or twice, said to one another, "That show was fuckin' tight, we killed it tonight! Let's see if the fans heard what we heard from the stage."

Then they just laugh their asses off when they read a standard like, "Quite a few repeats tonight," etc. etc. etc.

It's embarrassing.

It's not a fair comparison. Very few acts have fans seeing shows night after night and Pearl Jam is making huge amounts of money off those fans, both on tickets and merchandising (I mean do you have any idea how much they make off merchandise on a nightly basis? Not even Springsteen fans will wait on line two hours for a poster). So I don't think you understand how fortunate they are to have a fan base that is this devoted. I'm pretty sure they do.
    Post edited by Luckytwn1 on
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    hope the set list is better in canada eh. more rarities eh
  • AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 863

They should play the same set (w/ a couple changes every other night) like 95% of the bands that tour regularly.

I'll bet every member of the band or their crew has, once or twice, said to one another, "That show was fuckin' tight, we killed it tonight! Let's see if the fans heard what we heard from the stage."

Then they just laugh their asses off when they read a standard like, "Quite a few repeats tonight," etc. etc. etc.

It's embarrassing.

To be fair, one of the reasons people follow and shell out absurd amounts of dough to see this band is the unpredictability of their setlists. If they played the same thing every night, the band would be back to playing outdoor arenas in 5 years (not really a bad thing, but certainly a step back from their perspective) and the House of Blues in 10.
  • Micheyb21Micheyb21 UK Posts: 235
    I had a great night, although a little disappointed with the number of repeats considering this was my first back to back shows, i had expected somewhat more. Having said that hello Cheap Trick and especially Sting wow! How to just take it up another level. Plus finally got to hear Leash! (Been a long time waiting). Sound issues were a little annoying but didnt take away from the vibe in my opinion, these things happen. Think the band have done amazingly well considering its been 4 hardcore sets in 5 days. I have met some wonderful people over last 2 days and had an absolute blast in NYC and i am very happy i can say ive seen the greatest band in the world at a truly iconic venue.
    2000 Cardiff/ 2006 Paris/ 2011 Toronto/ 2013 Chicago/ 2014 Amsterdam 1 & Milton Keynes, 
    2016 MSG 1 & 2/ 2017 London Ed solo/ 2018 London 1, Padua, Rome, Prague & London 2
    2019 Dusseldorf & Dublin Ed Solo  
    2022 Copenhagen, London 1&2, Budapest, Krakow, Vienna, Prague, Ams 1 & Ams 2
    2024 Manchester, London, Auckland & Sydney
  • phungiphungi Posts: 640
    64 songs over 2 nights (not counting the Ishtar song) with 10 repeats. 54 different songs. Quit yer bitching and respect the band for bringing it with some serious energy.
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
    phungi said:

64 songs over 2 nights (not counting the Ishtar song) with 10 repeats. 54 different songs. Quit yer bitching and respect the band for bringing it with some serious energy.

While I defend the sentiment behind the repeats argument. This was not a lot relative to the number of repeats Philly got it seems. Certainly not a lot in general.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    AlaG said:

It's embarrassing.

To be fair, one of the reasons people follow and shell out absurd amounts of dough to see this band is the unpredictability of their setlists. If they played the same thing every night, the band would be back to playing outdoor arenas in 5 years (not really a bad thing, but certainly a step back from their perspective) and the House of Blues in 10.
    Maybe folks that didn't go to night one wanted to hear those songs tonight & that's thrown into consideration on these back to back nights.
    www.cluthelee.com

AlaG said:

It's embarrassing.

Maybe folks that didn't go to night one wanted to hear those songs tonight & that's thrown into consideration on these back to back nights.
    Totally understand that. Certain songs need to be played again. I'm not defending those who are upset about the repeats, of which there were few. I was just saying this band and it's fanbase would be a shell of what they currently are if the set was the exact same every night.
  • qq New York Posts: 97
    It is hard to figure out if the hardcore fanbase is getting increasingly picky about the rarity of setlists or if the band is actually getting more predictable and formulaic with the sets. The band is in an impossible situation though when the fanbase is so divided. To the casual, even one "hit" that they wanted can make the entire show, but to the hardcore, even a handful of rarities won't be enough if the rest of the set is "standard." Example from last night. I got told to sit down during Crown of Thorns, which really annoyed me on so many levels. I rolled my eyes when that same guy lost his mind during Black. We have completely different wants and expectations from the show. Obviously it's the bands job to send us both home happy. A set with five or more of those "hits" will often get completely shat on by the fanbase especially if they were played the night before. It's incredibly to think a set with Breath, All or None, Present Tense, and Deep is getting dismissed as "weak," but here we are. And the thing is I agree. There was little magic to this setlist. It's just hard to figure out exactly why.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    we had great fun follow the setlist and listen(impossible to watch periscope..
    great night for ny and msg
    loved the encore 1!!!

thanks Sea!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    and surrender was amazxing!!!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • and surrender was amazxing!!!!

That's what I was saying (from the west coast of course... f**ks sakes).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Magic_NYCMagic_NYC Posts: 28
    Shout out to Ron and his brother in section 119. You guys were great.

I think part of the problem is some of us who were lucky enough to be at MSG II 2010 were hoping and it seems based on some posts, expecting something close to that. Which is crazy since that's widely considered as a top 5 boot. You had Slow-Lukin (still gives me chills), Hunger Strike and some real rarities.

However, this show's Encore 1 was definitely special. Take a good look at that list again. And across the way in 119 it sounded great.

Maybe some of us are having Philly envy since they got Ten in order, but if you thought this show was average, I respectfully disagree. And I didn't get 1 new song tonight. But what I did get was another PJ show with my sister, met some great people and watched the world's best band for nearly 3 hours.

Stay well everyone and I'll see you in Chicago.
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    Driven to Tears. Sting. It's nice to have good neighbors. Breath, State, Porch. Good god. We need a fucking break guys!

2 nights. 2 incredible shows. Mike was off the hook. Loved Jeff being front and center. Can't wait for Fenway Double Header. But first a summer to enjoy.... Thanks, guys. Until we meet again....Teenage Wasteland, yeah, yeah. Seen The Who more than a dozen times and that was the loudest Baba I've ever heard. Glad to be part of it.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    First encore sounded amazing on Periscope. Lucky bastards. I missed what Ed said about Canada. I am sure it was a good jab did anyone catch it?
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    What I saw the last two nights was a band that is absolutely firing on all cylinders. Thought they were slightly better tonight if there was a gun to my head.

Setlist critics always miss the point of how the actual show was. And the show was great. The crowd was nuts from what i saw. Thought it was one of the most active GA's I've seen. Ed seemed to think similarly.

And Cheap Trick. And fucking Sting. Unreal.

The Present Tense to Porch run was insane. Even with the sound issues on Porch.

One last time. I saw 6 hours of a band on fire. No regrets.
  • nicdolasnicdolas Bethlehem, PA Posts: 141
    Great night, the crowd tonight seemed so much more energetic then the night before. The band played great despite some technical issues. Seeing two members from Cheap Trick and then I saw Sting on the screen as was like holy shit its Sting.. People may say not the best setlist or to many repeats bottom line to me is this show rocked from beginning to the end.
    Merriweather Post - 96
    Camden - 98,00,03,06
    Philly - 05,09,13,16(1&2)
    MSG - 16(1&2)
    Ottawa - 16
    Sao Paulo - 15
    Wrigley 1&2 16
    TOTD - Philly 1 16
    Krakow 18
    Berlin 18
    Seattle 1&2 18
    Boston 2 18
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    phungi said:

Yup
  • luvspearljamluvspearljam NY, NY Posts: 207
    For me, tonight was a dream. My favorite group when I was a kid was the Police, so I am a huge Sting fan. Fell in love with PJ in 1991 when I went away to college. Always loved the DTT covers when Ed did it, but tonight. Tonight. I was so excited when I heard the beginning of DTT, but when Sting walked out to sing with them, I lost my mind.

Everything else was a blur. So, while I think I've been to shows with better set lists, maybe even better acoustics, this is probably my favorite show because my two favorite musicians were on stage at the same time. I feel blessed.
  • NYCPJNYCPJ nyc Posts: 761
    Sound glitches aside (these things happen) -- i thought the show was great. Probably liked last night a bit better (mid-set Release, Chloe/Crown, band had a little more in the tank), but they were both sick shows. Don't understand some of the negativity - sometimes i wonder if we were at the same show? sorry if you thought Philly was better, not sure that means that MSG wasn't good. Cant they both be great?
    . Sorry if you thought the 1st encores were better at Phoenix, even though you weren't at MSG tonight. Sorry if they didnt play your requests. Couldn't you just appreciate that this band came out firing both nights and gave us almost six hours of incredible music! I had fun - i hope you did too!

Here are some photos from both nights:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jlbnyc/albums/72157667825972516

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jlbnyc/albums/72157667849565205

6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
  • ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 566
    This show rocked, but it was nothing spectacular. Sting and Cheap Trick were awesome though. Columbia and Greenville were still better to me than this show.
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • SputNickSputNick Posts: 101
    Another great show! Amazing energy from the crowd and the band! Mike is on fire!
    Surrender, Driven to tears, leash, garden, present tense, encore 1 (apart from pendulum ;p) were the highlights.
    Apart from the standard PJ repetitions (E. flow, Alive, Porch, DTE, Given to Fly) there were some (Better man, LB, Small Town) that could have been avoided in a back to back show.
    Also it would have been great to listen to something from Binaural and Avocado instead.

Anyone has a picture of the setlist?

Binaural > Vs > No Code > Yield = Riot Act > Vitalogy > Pearl Jam > Ten > Lightning Bolt > Backspacer
  • ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075
    Leatherman!! And the Man Trilogy! And a full-on Save It for Later tag, not just Ed mumbling "don't runnnawayyy" over and over, but singing some actual verses. It felt like 1998 again!!

I just spent two nights seeing my favorite band with some good friends, and made some new friends if just for a night or two. I had so much fun at both shows. Ten repeats? Didn't notice, didn't care, was too busy rocking out. We got effin' Cheap Trick and Sting, can it get any rarer? My older brother would loved to have been in the building. I'm glad I was!

Taking the train home, I really didn't want to talk to anyone as I just about lost my voice after four PJ shows, and developed a head cold as well the last few days. But, wearing various PJ items, people kept asking me "You were at the show? What'd you think?' Seeing a party of three looking for seats I moved my bag onto my lap so this guy could sit next to me/across from his lady friends. Turns he was from Texas and was here just for the shows. We got to chatting about PJ, the shows, the songs, the merch. He lamented not getting a shirt, I lamented not getting a sticker. He had a few stickers, he casually mentioned, and I inquired and he offered me one for free. I gave him a five bucks for his effort in line and for his generosity. Thank you John! And thank you PJ fans for rocking out.
  • brianwilsonbrianwilson Posts: 406
    AlaG said:

It's embarrassing.

They've been my favorite band since Ten when I was in 7th grade. I've seen a show (or two) on every tour (in So Cal). I'm as much of an obsessed fan at the Heads that travel. And I understand all of the multiple/long distance traveler show attendees reasons to see them (the main being different sets). But the band (EV really) just likes putting songs together by what he's feeling, or what he thinks that particular city may dig.

They understand that a small percentage (yes, it's a small percentage of the entire 15 thousand people in the arena) go to 4, 5 or
    whatever shows, so they probably factor that in a tad.

But I know that they're not basing the setlists on how much merchandise people purchase at their shows. Their biz ethics are stronger than that. With Mersh, they just want each city to have their own unique shirt, poster, give a new artist a job and what not.

Anyway....
  • LCLC North Andover, MA Posts: 253
    My 21st show but 1st in NYC. I was fortunate enough to get GA tix and had the time of my life tonite. The Present Tense, Breath, SOLAT, Porch foursome was the highlight for me. Been so excited for the Fenway shows that I forgot how much these guys just dominate an arena. Thanks PJ and 10C.
    8-29-00 Mansfield, 6-29-03 Montreal, 7-2-03 Mansfield, 7-3-03 Mansfield, 7-11-03, Mansfield, 9-28-04 Boston, 9-29-04 Boston, 10-8-04 Kissimmee, 9-15-05 Montreal, 9-16-05 Ottawa, 5-12-06 Albany, 5-13-06 Hartford, 5-24-06 Boston, 5-25-06 Boston, 6-28-08, Mansfield, 6-30-08 Mansfield, 5-15-10 Hartford, 5-17-10 Boston, 7-19-13 Chicago, 10-15-13 Worcester, 5-2-16 New York City, 8-5-16 Boston, 8-7-16 Boston
    EV- 2008, 2011 Boston
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,877
    I guess expectations were far too high. Everybody hyped these show and thought it will be a night full of rarities, avocado front to back and maybe Binaural too.

9 or 10 repeats, ok, thats pretty much for PJ standards but still an awesome setlist, especially the first encore
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 566
    This show was awesome. Met Stone and Dennis Rodman tonight too. Fucking awesome.
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    Whoever shot those videos above really rocks! Awesome job!
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    I enjoyed this immensely. The sequence of Present Tense, Breath, State of Love and Trust was a significant highlight.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."