*** New York, NY Fanviews Here 5/1/16 ***

Comments

• rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    I will forgive
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    henry ward beecher, a CT nutmegger
  • merlin401merlin401 Posts: 216

I don't need rarities to enjoy a show.
    I don't give a rats ass what the people in my section are doing during the show. If they want to sit? I could care less. If they want to jump and act like fools? I could care less. As long as they are not vomiting on me(And yes I will share an MSG vomiting story with everyone, maybe tomorrow).

That show last night at MSG was FUCKING TREMENDOUS!
    PERIOD!
    I sang, I danced, I laughed, I giggled, I shed a tear.
    I shared this show with a dear friend. We had the fucking times of our lives.

EPIC!
    EPIC I SAY!

Great attitude, but I will say this: if everyone around you is sitting and you want to rock out, it really does take something away from the energy of the show. If its just 1 or 2 randoms sitting, who cares. But I've been at shows where the entire sections sits and someone yells at me for blocking the view. It is a pretty big buzzkill. Almost all the Pearl Jam shows I've been to though have had really good to great crowds. The only exception was the lawn in the Gorge which was dead. Sometimes people sit for the first few songs of the 1st encore up top, and that is fine because the band is sitting too and its really slow melodic stuff.
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 885
    merlin401 said:

I don't give a rats ass what the people in my section are doing during the show. If they want to sit? I could care less. If they want to jump and act like fools? I could care less. As long as they are not vomiting on me(And yes I will share an MSG vomiting story with everyone, maybe tomorrow).

PERIOD!

EPIC!
    EPIC I SAY!

Great attitude, but I will say this: if everyone around you is sitting and you want to rock out, it really does take something away from the energy of the show. If its just 1 or 2 randoms sitting, who cares. But I've been at shows where the entire sections sits and someone yells at me for blocking the view. It is a pretty big buzzkill. Almost all the Pearl Jam shows I've been to though have had really good to great crowds. The only exception was the lawn in the Gorge which was dead. Sometimes people sit for the first few songs of the 1st encore up top, and that is fine because the band is sitting too and its really slow melodic stuff.
    Second this. Really dampened the experience of being at the show for me last night. Surrounded by a bunch of people who didn't seem excited at all to be there ad sat the whole time and some tapers who were taking shit wayy too seriously. People seemed genuinely upset that I was dancing, having a good time. And no I wasn't being an obnoxious drunk. One beer and one toke of the reefer all night. Section 213 better fucking bring it tonight!
  • tchtch Posts: 91
    merlin401 said:

PERIOD!

EPIC!
    EPIC I SAY!

Did you go to the Gorge in 2006? It was 114 degrees that year, which is rough to handle with alcohol and whatever else people may have taken. But I agree, my section last night was pretty dead compared to Friday that was rocking out behind the stage. It's a totally different vibe when your section isn't into it. Still a great show.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,041
    Thought last night was tremendous. For me, this was one of their best shows in quite a while. Really encouraging for whatever's next. Brought a buddy for his first time seeing them - he couldn't believe how into it they kept the crowd for 3 hours.

I can totally understand if the same show hits different people different ways. But if you think any part of last night was "shit" or "formulaic," it's really time to take a break. Let someone else who still has the spark get that seat. I go to a lot of shows and if I ever used one of those words to describe all or part of a set, there's no way I'm seeing that band next time they come around.
  • kevinbeetlekevinbeetle Posts: 358
    NYCPJ said:

Very cool!
    I was on Stone's side, but got a few photos. Maybe you are in one of these photos!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jlbnyc/26671445802/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jlbnyc/26764902745/

Duuudee! I'm in that first one! Sweet pics
  • merlin401merlin401 Posts: 216
    tch said:

merlin401 said:

PERIOD!

EPIC!
    EPIC I SAY!

Did you go to the Gorge in 2006? It was 114 degrees that year, which is rough to handle with alcohol and whatever else people may have taken. But I agree, my section last night was pretty dead compared to Friday that was rocking out behind the stage. It's a totally different vibe when your section isn't into it. Still a great show.
    Yeah it was 2006 for that insane heat wave!! 2nd night I was down close and then the crowd was fine (still not the energy of the East Coast shows I've been to though), but the lawn was dead all night where I was. There was only one other guy I could find after moving around that was REALLY into it like you'd expect at a Pearl Jam concert and he was like 75 years old.
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • tchtch Posts: 91
    merlin401 said:

tch said:

merlin401 said:

PERIOD!

EPIC!
    EPIC I SAY!

Yeah it was 2006 for that insane heat wave!! 2nd night I was down close and then the crowd was fine (still not the energy of the East Coast shows I've been to though), but the lawn was dead all night where I was. There was only one other guy I could find after moving around that was REALLY into it like you'd expect at a Pearl Jam concert and he was like 75 years old.
    Yep, sitting around for two consecutive days in 110+ heat isn't exactly a great formula for an energetic crowd. Washington State crowds are generally more subdued, but I'm willing to give them a pass that time. I was on the floor both nights and was surprised how much energy people (including me) had given the weather and alcohol consumption. I wish they'd go back to the Gorge.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    sadly this was my "one and done" show of the tour - that said, it was an AWESOME show.
    truly - best pj show i've ever been to? last one i was at.
    best pj show ever? whatever is the next pj show i'm at.
    i've seen this band 45+ times, and honestly, this is how i feel - EVERY show is their BEST.
    thank you pearl jam.
    love.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• socalstylesocalstyle Columbus, OH Posts: 40
    cblock77 said:

AlaG said:

Great show last night. Some of you people need to stop dissecting every little thing, it's sad. A cash grab? Seriously? Get a clue.

Agreed the cash grab thing is ridiculous but isn't this the thread where we're supposed to post our reviews of the show?
    It's a ridiculously unfounded statement. They are a business with a lot of employees to support. So, yeah. In a sense they are touring to fund their business. Mike talked about that in an interview during the 2014 fall tour on their Sirius channel.

However, if the tour was a "cash grab" they certainly wouldn't be playing MSG. The rent is so ridiculously high now after the remodel, the band could make considerably more $ anywhere else in the NYC area. And let's not forget they could easily charge $10 or more per ticket and "get away" with it. But they don't. It's cost as low as $69 to stand 10 feet from the band on this tour. What other major arena touring band does that? Let's maintain some perspective.
    Best thing I have read all day... I can't believe people would call a PJ tour a cash grab. As if those people who posted such nonsense would bring the passion for what "is"... Glad you new York locals and touring folks had a great time. Saw the Lexington show and still think that was the most fun set of the tour with the covers and what not but the set list last night was pretty solid and they did NY right by playing a NY cover. I can't wait for closing night of the tour in wrigley. Could be very special.
    03 - Irvine
    10 - Columbus
    13 - Pittsburgh
    16 - Lexington, Chicago 2
    18 - Seattle 2, Missoula, Boston 1
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,791
    How many Riot Act songs?

Which is exactly why this could be the greatest set list known to mankind.

Haha
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • ShvljkyShvljky Posts: 10
    Great band, Great city, Great crowd, Great show!! 10c Family in the pit be proud. (new friends and old friends) Oh how we have grown with this band. No pushing, No shoving, yet we still made the Garden bounce. I saw Dustin Hoffman throw his arms around his wife and
  • ShvljkyShvljky Posts: 10
    dance to Betterman
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,141
    edited May 2016
    k
    ceska said:

211 was rocking out. The fans on the floor, especially in front of Mike, were really rocking out. All I saw was a ton of energy in the building.

Great show. Loved Off He Goes, wish I could hear that song every night. Mid-set Release was amazing. Can't wait for tomorrow night.

glad i see this photo..so many of my friends,of my people i travel and rock out in a show are in this photo
    thanks
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • KabutarKabutar Posts: 17
    The Gorge shows were the best PJ shows ever. Not subdued or "dead", they were very into it and appreciative, but they were there for the MUSIC not to demonstrate their command for the English language. Also, some people don't naturally break into dance, song and laughter when Vedder speaks on US govt atrocities followed by a relevant tune, weird that way I guess. I'm all for singing and dancing, but being as obnoxious, drunk and high as possible, makes it seem like most were not there for the music. If people want to drown out Vedder's voice the entire time, which was the case, why come to the show? Play Cds and sing to your heart's content. I've been to many shows, with crowds way wilder in an authentic way, but they had respect for the artists and others in attendance, plus, they actually like the music and wanted to hear it. I feel tonight was just romper room, everyone bounce in line or be deemed "uncool". The louder, the more you "get it". Crowd was mostly 30-50ish, so this contrived, forced, monkey behavior, was a pretty sad site.
    I'm glad you say it's still different at the shows in Seattle, that is exactly what I was hoping, I'll get another chance down the line.

*sight it's 5am and I'm traumatized
    sorry, wrong night, saw the 5/2 show. Heard 5/1 was better, sound didn't cut out, Vedder didn't let the crowd completely take over all the songs, you didn't experience all the feedback, etc. The sound was really off, cant believe a band of this magnitude wouldn't have that worked out. The worse part was the crowd insisting on drowning out Vedder, and him seeming to go along with it, perhaps due to a sore throat or something, all made for a less than stellar show. Feel bad for thinking it and saying it, but it is my take.
  • NSLNSL Nashville, TN Posts: 291
    edited May 2016
    Finally getting a chance to comment. After doing Greenville and Columbia and with Raleigh cancelled I was itching for another show. Found out during the weekend before that I would be off on Sat/Sunday so started to see how flights were and to wait a few days to make sure no work issues popped up. Found flights under $200 so grabbed those while searching stubhub/craigslist for tickets. Craigslist was super sketchy and was worried I was going to be paying $300+ for a decent ticket. On Friday afternoon a few singles popped up on ticketmaster. I only saw 3 different seats pop up and I grabbed two of them, one in 217 and the other in the 400's for a friend. Both were wheelchair accessible rows. Such a relief and got super lucky finding those pop up randomly that afternoon.

As for the show, I had a fantastic time. Never sat behind a band before but being in that row I had plenty of room with nobody blocking my view. Nearly dead center behind the stage and it sounded excellent. Seemed like everyone in 217 was rocking out and having a great time. The girl beside me was from Brazil and flew in from LA (I believe) and was super cool. First time at MSG and will definitely plan way ahead next time. Straight to the airport after the show and flying home at 5am Monday morning for work was brutal but so worth it.
    Post edited by NSL on
    2004-10-06 - Asheville, NC
    2013-10-30 - Charlotte, NC
    2016-04-16 - Greenville, SC
    2016-04-20 - Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21 - Columbia, SC
    2016-05-01 - New York, NY
    2022-09-16 - Nashville, TN
    2022-09-17 - Louisville, KY
    2023-09-10 - Noblesville, IN
    2023-09-13 - Fort Worth, TX
    2023-09-15 - Fort Worth, TX
  • MUZIKMUZIK Posts: 627
    if anyone has any videos from behind the stage or during porch please let me know.
    09.11.98, 08.24.00, 08.25.00, 04.30.03, 07.08.03, 07.08.03, 09.15.05, 09.16.05, 09.19.05, 09.30.05, 10.01.05, 05.12.06, 05.13.06, 05.25.06, 05.27.06, 05.28.06, 06.01.06, 06.03.06, 06.19.08, 06.20.08, 06.22.08, 06.24.08, 06.25.08, 06.27.08, 06.28.08, 06.30.08, 07.01.08, 08.05.08, 08.07.08, 10.27.09, 10.30.09, 10.31.09, 05.18.10, 05.20.10, 05.21.10, 10.15.13, 10.18.13, 10,19,13, 9.23.15, 9.26.15, 04.28.16, 04.29.16, 05.01.16, 05.02.16, 05.06.22, 05.07.22, 09.14.22
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940

sadly this was my "one and done" show of the tour - that said, it was an AWESOME show.
    truly - best pj show i've ever been to? last one i was at.
    best pj show ever? whatever is the next pj show i'm at.
    i've seen this band 45+ times, and honestly, this is how i feel - EVERY show is their BEST.
    thank you pearl jam.
    love.

Holy ghost of board past. Well said
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• kosteva2kosteva2 Posts: 286
    Anyone else feel like Boom's sound was turned way down? You could see him playing, but couldn't really hear much from him the way the mix was.
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22
  • jimc3jimc3 Posts: 230
    I was there both nights. Night 1 was incredible, especially the last 4 or 5 songs of the main set which were crazy intense, boys were on fire. Really loved this show. I don't know what the definition of epic is anymore when it comes to PJ shows, especially @ MSG, but this was a throw down near masterpiece of a rock concert. Loved every second of it.
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,770
    Haven't had time to read this whole thread. Just noticed that the numbers aren't right in the OP. Future days should be 21. Total 35 songs. What?!?
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075

glad i see this photo..so many of my friends,of my people i travel and rock out in a show are in this photo
    thanks

Thank you Dimitris, and you are welcome! I'm glad you liked the picture. It reminds me of the time Ed changed Yellow Ledbetter to "We're all friends here, and we're about to leave for home, oh yeah-uh-huh-yeah-hayyy."

-Rob
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,818
    I still can't believe how incredible that first set was. Easily the greatest first set I ve ever seen. It really was magical.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • pjman75pjman75 Indiana Posts: 836
    edited May 2016
    I will never be able to properly sum this experience up. Decided to go Friday afternoon from Indianapolis with no tickets. Got in the car at 1am, hit NYC Saturday afternoon and magic began. It hasn't stopped yet, not sure it ever will. Section 2 Sunday and Section 115 Monday. Got back in the car at 1am and was home Tuesday to vote at 2pm. Thank you so much to the band and the community surrounding it. I sincerely love you with all of my heart and soul.

Mike D - If you ever need anything, anytime or anywhere, call me first please.
    I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.

8/17/98 Noblesville, 8/18/00 Noblesville, 6/5/03 San Diego, 6/22/03 Noblesville, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 5/7/10 Noblesville, 9/15/11 Hamilton, 11/21/12 Memphis (Ed w/ Glen), 7/19/13 Wrigley, 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, 10/01/14 Cincinnati, 10/03/14 Saint Louis, 4/16/16 Greenville, 4/26/16 Lexington, 5/1/16 NYC, 5/2/16 NYC, 8/20/16 Wrigley, 8/22/16 Wrigley (For Hank), 8/18/18 Wrigley, 8/20/18 Wrigley (For Hank), 9/18/22 Saint Louis, 9/5/23 Chicago, 9/7/23 Chicago
  • EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,837
    What a show - the opening was solid. It was BAM! BAM! BAM! all the way. :D
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • 16chez2116chez21 Posts: 83
    That first set was straight fire. Amazing. Can't wait for Fenway 1 and 2! Keep it up boys.