*** Philadelphia, PA Fanviews Here 4/29/16 ***

Comments

• kosteva2kosteva2 Posts: 286
    merlin401 said:

Going to leave my review next, but a quick question: How does Pearl Jam only have 10 Philly sell-outs? It seems like the have played there many, many more times than that (I mean I've even driven down there 5x for shows from up in North Jersey)

The banner specifically said "South Philly" sellouts to only really encompass Spectrum ('03, '09 x 4) and Wells Fargo ('05, '13 x 2, '16 x 2). Leaves out Dobbs and Camden ('98 x 2, '00 x 2, '03 x 2, '08 x 2).
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,623
    Odd PJ stat. I've now seen Release 5 times with 3 of them not opening the show.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• kosteva2kosteva2 Posts: 286
    kosteva2 said:

merlin401 said:

Going to leave my review next, but a quick question: How does Pearl Jam only have 10 Philly sell-outs? It seems like the have played there many, many more times than that (I mean I've even driven down there 5x for shows from up in North Jersey)

The banner specifically said "South Philly" sellouts to only really encompass Spectrum ('03, '09 x 4) and Wells Fargo ('05, '13 x 2, '16 x 2). Leaves out Dobbs and Camden ('98 x 2, '00 x 2, '03 x 2, '08 x 2).
    Forgot Made in America '12 which was in Center City on Parkway and Camden '06 x 2.

TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    it sure felt like PJ25 last night...

that was the best 2 show run I've ever seen and its not even close
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,619
    We waited outside in the cold Philadelphia rain all night and day to get rail and were rewarded magnificently. This show...it was just beyond words. The crowd was so into it and the band could feel our love. I was right between Ed & Stone and at the end of the show,while Mike was absolutely killing YLB into SSB, I watched Ed go over to stone who was standing by the speakers, and just lay his head against Stone's back and rest there for a moment and Stone reached back to hold Ed's arm in this sort of embrace and they stayed like that for a minute or more and you could sense the intensity of their relationship and knew they too realized they just blew the fuckin roof off of Wells Fargo and accomplished something epic.

Thank you Pearl Jam, thank you 10c and thank you beautiful people who shared and cared and laughed and sang and rocked these past two days and nights with me.

Fuckin bring on MSG!
    I want moooorrreeeee. .......
  • blenderman69blenderman69 philly Posts: 2,104
    nicknyr15 said:

Jamd44 said:

Absolute privilege to be in attendance last night. Crowd was great! No one understands why we all go so much - it's for nights like this!

Prime example. I truly feel for anyone who went to only night 1. Not saying night 1 wasn't awesome but.........
    don't feel bad for me the gods smiled on me as I got to witness both shows. mind blown drop the mic. holy shit!
  • merlin401merlin401 Posts: 216
    So some thoughts about last nights amazing show...

* Only moment of fleeting disappointment was the shows first moments... "Why are they opening with Once again?"
    * Well then it became obvious why. I didn't let myself believe until I heard Alive. Then I was like "damn its ON tonight". There's nothing to compare to playing Ten straight through. It got everyone from the hardcore fan to the casual fan super amped up and the place was LOUD!
    * It was so unusual hearing Alive and Porch mixed into the early portions of the show, very surreal. And they were the same as the encore/set closer versions: Eddie even shone the guitar light throughout the entire crowd on Porch as he is prone to do, but we were only a few songs into the night!!
    * The best of Ten was Release though, by a million miles. Incredibly emotional version! Least favorite of the 11: honestly I think they played Deep a lot better in 2009 Philly (my only other time hearing it).
    * I did get that twinge of "is it possible they play Binaural??" when I heard Breakerfall. It would have looked amazing on paper but it would have killed the energy of the crowd honestly: how many people there even could name all the songs from Binaural? 25%? Thats why Ten straight through is so powerful IMO.
    * Who you Are sounds really amazing live: Mike Cameron is so great at establishing that moody rhythm on this song (its very atmospheric like the start of There, There by Radiohead or something)
    ENCORE BREAK
    * Eddie mumbling a Willie Nelson styled Just Breathe was pretty hilarious. Also his Bruce Springsteen impression mocking Pearl Jam's comparatively modest 10 sellouts earlier was really funny.
    * All or None sounds AMAZING live!! Besides Release I thought this was the 2nd best performance of the night. What a great song. That into Comfortably Numb was a surreal part of the show.
    * Mind Your Manners is meh to me: in fact I don't feel like the new album plays that great in concert. The songs aren't distinctive enough to grab your attention, and it was played last night.
    * Eddie really teased us muttering "It's ok" a few times before doing the WMA tag ::grrrrr:: lol. Still awesome, and hell, I'm glad they keep "its ok" fairly sacred.
    * RVM another repeat from last night. How can you ever get tired of this song though?
    ENCORE BREAK
    * Last Kiss gets shit on but you know, you need a simple song to be able to play to the back, so it serves its purpose. I clap along happily
    * My regret of this concert is that Eddie sang the first vs. of Better Man... I wonder how this amped up crowd would have done holding the reigns (a la MSG II 2010)
    * It was kind of a weird place for Throw Your Hatred Down, but I enjoyed hearing this song for the first time.
    * Sonic/Baba/YL is such a classic way to end (although I LOVE Fuckin' Up even more, which is hard to do but that was last night).

Overall: A+

It will certainly be hard to put together my top 5 concerts now, that's all I gotta say. See y'all at Fenway
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • Kanye EastKanye East Posts: 781
    merlin401 said:

A lot of the shows they did in this area were in Camden
    DC-9/24/96
    Philly-8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    Jones Beach-8/25/00
    PSU-5/3/03
    Irvine-6/2/03
    San Diego-6/5/03
    Hershey-7/12/03
    Reading-10/1/04
    The Gorge-9/1/05
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    AC-9/30/05
    E. Rutherford, NJ-6/1/06,6/3/06
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
    VA Beach-6/17/08
    MSG-5/20/10,5/21/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
  • satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    UN-fucking-believable
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,619
    Also loved the WMA tag on Daughter.
  • KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    merlin401 said:

merlin401 said:

Well, everything pre-2003 was typically done in Camden in the summer time at the E center, (has since changed names several times). The banner said South Philly. Camden would not be considered south philly.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,695
    It's amazing how Ten gets shit on. I remember there was even a thread that said Please No Ten this tour. Well, last night proved the power of that album. It's undeniable
  • TenVsRhysTenVsRhys Posts: 47
    nicknyr15 said:

It's amazing how Ten gets shit on. I remember there was even a thread that said Please No Ten this tour. Well, last night proved the power of that album. It's undeniable

Ditto
    TenVsRhys
    1995 - Sydney Mar 10th, Melbourne Mar 18th, Brisbane Mar 21st and 22nd
    1998 - Melbourne Mar 3rd, Brisbane Mar 14th and 15th
    2000 - London May 29th and 30th
    2009 - Sydney Nov 22nd
    2011 - EV Brisbane Mar 12th, Sydney Mar 18th and Mar 19th
    2014 - Gold Coast Jan 19th, EV Sydney Feb 11th, 12th and 13th
    2016 - Fort Lauderdale Apr 8th, Miami Apr 9th
    2017 - EV London Jun 6th and 7th
  • MK88178MK88178 Chicago Posts: 488
    Absolutely magical!!! With out any hesitation that vaulted to the best show I have ever seen. Release was other worldly. Hearing all or none, Eddie doing just breathe like willie, the banner, who you are, and not mentioned a lot they dropped leash on us. Also some albumn called 10. The crowd in philly is always intense and they brought it tonight. I'm still having trouble wrapping my head our this 2 Day experience. Thank you to everyone there in that stadium. God I love this band so much.
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209

8th show for me tonight. words can't express the joy I had meeting and hanging out with peal jam fans from Chicago, Michigan and japan...thank you whitey and all your cool friends for letting my daughter and me hang with you all day. just that would've been enough...then awesome ten cub seats!!!!....then ten....holy shit!!!!band and crowd was on fire tonight. this has to be one of the best pj shows ever....I can't be the only person who thinks that...thank you ten club. thank you pearl jam. if anybody met me yesterday and took a picture with me..please send it to me.....my wife doesn't believe I have friends! lol

I got some pictures in someones phone. I forget whos phone though?? i'll figure it out and send them over. great to meet you and Olivia. glad you enjoyed the party, we'll do it again soon enough...
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    I think people who say they wouldn't want to hear Ten front to back are full of shit.

That was my 16th show, and easily in my top three, probably top two shows. Hartford '13 is tough to top.

I'm glad we got Just Breathe. It's my wife's favorite, and we haven't heard it since her first show, Hartford '10.
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209

I think people who say they wouldn't want to hear Ten front to back are full of shit.

That was my 16th show, and easily in my top three, probably top two shows. Hartford '13 is tough to top.

I'm glad we got Just Breathe. It's my wife's favorite, and we haven't heard it since her first show, Hartford '10.

full of shit or brain dead. take your pick...
  • inmyNCinmyNC amongst many Posts: 243
    Couldn't make that show...... I wish I could've... It must have been amazing!!!
  • blenderman69blenderman69 philly Posts: 2,104

8th show for me tonight. words can't express the joy I had meeting and hanging out with peal jam fans from Chicago, Michigan and japan...thank you whitey and all your cool friends for letting my daughter and me hang with you all day. just that would've been enough...then awesome ten cub seats!!!!....then ten....holy shit!!!!band and crowd was on fire tonight. this has to be one of the best pj shows ever....I can't be the only person who thinks that...thank you ten club. thank you pearl jam. if anybody met me yesterday and took a picture with me..please send it to me.....my wife doesn't believe I have friends! lol

I got some pictures in someones phone. I forget whos phone though?? i'll figure it out and send them over. great to meet you and Olivia. glad you enjoyed the party, we'll do it again soon enough...
    thanks whitey please make sure all your friends know much fun Olivia and I had and how much it meat to us to be accecpted into your group and shown so much love! oh and I didn't lie...i'm a huge pot head! lol
  • What can I say other people haven't? Unbelievable crowd, 10 was played with so much energy from the guys it just kept the place juiced all night. Sec. 122 witnessed Mike just shred it up all night! And during Star Spangled Banner my brother in 118 was on the big screens with his American flag and my sister next to me with her Mike Is God sign! My bro also caught a tambourine for a little girl. My siblings and I will be talking about this show for a long time.
  • nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507
    edited April 2016
    the most amazing concert of my life. this was only my 7th show but it blew my favorite PJ show (hartford 13) out of the water. and my seats were much better than my 212 last night. i sat behind the stage, 5 rows back in 121. being behind the stage is one of the best concert experiences of my life. almost everyone was rocking out.

when they started off with master/slave into once again...i knew immediately. i told me boyfriend "THEY'RE PLAYING TEN!" because there is no way in hell they would do the same intro/first song two nights in a row. when even flow started i couldn't believe it. and i made a mistake on my part, i thought why go was next but when they started alive i looked at my bf like "da fuq?" and then realized HOLY SHIT! WE'RE GETTING TEN IN ORDER! i lost it. and cried. i along with everyone else in the building rocked out the entire time. i only needed garden and DEEP! to complete ten but getting the whole album in order was absolutely incredible. so so lucky. could not believe i got to be there. deep is also one of my favorites, so glad i got to hear it. and to top it off ed going into the story about the brothers before release...then playing release..."i'll hold the pain, release me"...i lost my grandmother in december. i was crying so much. most amazing experience.

could NOT BELIEVE I GOT COMFORTABLY NUMB! AND LEASH! and last kiss was sang to US! yes i got excited over last kiss...:lol: and my boyfriend loved baba into yellow led into the star spangled banner. he was so surprised how ed, stone, jeff, and matt were standing at attention just letting mccready rip into it. not many bands would do that or even play it. i think that was the first time i got it too. just beautiful.

i just can't get over how amazing last night was. the atmosphere was incredibe. just...the entire show. and the crowd. so fucking amazing. i can hardly put it into words. THANK YOU PEARL JAM! for one of the best nights of my life! :smile:

and i still got both MSG shows coming up! :smiley:

ETA: i forget what song was playing, might have been GTF...but during my jumping, i jumped too far ahead and smacked my knee on the chair in front of me. i now have a big bruise. it was worth it. :lol: pearl jam battle scars for the win!
    Post edited by nothinasitseems on
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 645
    All I keep thinking about is if '91 Ed saw that performance of '16 Ed he would've gave it one of these....

02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)
    19JUL2013 - Wrigley Field, IL
    21OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    22OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    27OCT2013 - Baltimore, MD
    29APR2016 - Philadelphia, PA (TEN)
    05AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    07AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    27AUG2016 - Dana Point, CA (Ohana)
    18AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    20AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    18SEP2021 - Asbury Park, NJ
    14SEP2022 - Camden, NJ

• embrace said:

Press this show and let me spin it forever!

Me too! Can hardly wait to get it and spin it forever!! :)
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • LauraaLauraa Posts: 18
    edited April 2016
    The best concert I've ever been to in my whole life. The crowd was amazing. Loudest crowd I've ever experienced !!! Whole place was going insane!! Love pearl jam. Can't wait for Sunday and Monday night !!!!! Can't see them topping this show tho...
    Post edited by Lauraa on
  • robntomrobntom Freehold, NJ Posts: 9
    merlin401 said:

* Eddie mumbling a Willie Nelson styled Just Breathe was pretty hilarious. Also his Bruce Springsteen impression mocking Pearl Jam's comparatively modest 10 sellouts earlier was really funny.

In a night filled with so many highs, these two moments definitely had me rolling...My eighth show spread over 22 years...I brought a friend, a huge Bruce fan (over 60 shows), to his first show tonight. He told me he had goosebumps from the time they hit the stage. He's ready to go to MSG... I brought my wife, a Deadhead (over 400 shows) to her first the night before, along with my son (his second)...I finally got to hit two shows in a row for the first time and need to get to MSG, but really, can this be topped?

4/12/92 - The Limelight, NYC; 8/12/92 - Stanhope (Lollapalooza); 9/29/96 - Randalls Island; 7/14/03 - PNC Arts Center; 10/18/13 - Barclays Center; 10/22/13 - Wells Fargo Arena; 4/28/16 - Wells Fargo Arena; 4/29/16 Wells Fargo Arena
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    The show that crowd that band! The only way I could end that night was waking up on the floor in the 15th precinct!
    All will be forgiven eventually.
    It's a "you had to be there" show to understand.
    Much thanks!
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Forgot.....Shout out to North Dakota! That was a tough ticket! Feel terrible but I feel worse for those that didn't get in, there was a lot of you.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,730

full of shit or brain dead. take your pick...
    While this show would have been a dream for me it still may not be everyones cup of tea. Why care what the minority think and find the need to insult them?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189
    put me in the crowd who thought seeing a whole album played together wouldn't be all that fun but wow. Getting Even Flow an Alive as the 2nd and 3rd song and the incredible intensity that those songs brought right from the get go was amazing. thought the crowd was way louder than night 1 too. Seeing Ed tear up during the introduction to Release was pretty powerful. Leash and RVM were awesome. Always love Baba with the lights up too. I know it's a little bit of a cliche but i really do think this band is better than ever right now. they sound fantastic and they seem to be really enjoying themselves. We are in the midst of greatness and it's exciting and fun to experience it. Hard to put it into words really.
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    While msg will be typical awesome pearl jam shows, I just do not see how philly 2 can be topped. There was just something in the air, these guys were ON. You could tell Ed wasn't as f'd up as some shows and he, and the whole band was on a mission. Watching it all unfold from section 123 was a treat. Mccready is just a machine, and Jeff was a monster. It was fun looking across the arena and seeing everyone having the time of their lives. Very impressed by my first comfortably numb and hatred was another first for me, thought it was excellent. As soon as they showed that banner we knew what we were getting. What a treat. I'm tired!

Oh and not to nitpick BUT whoever in the pit was "playing" the tambourine during baba well yeah we could hear you 10 rows up on the side, trying to add your specialness to the song. You're not in pearl jam, so let them play the instruments Thanks!
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1