Options

How often would you like to see Even Flow played?

Comments

• Options
    kc007kc007 USA Posts: 282
    I never get tired of that song, so I could hear it at every show.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,268
    100% of the shows
    I don't mind dropping it out of, or changing its position on a setlist from time to time (a show without Even Flow at its usual spot, or at all it's something that I would definitely like to explore). That being said, bring back the "Wah!" intro, Matt's drum solos and the Never will... line after the Oh prayin', now to something that has never showed him anything lyric and I could listen to it all day long!

Lead him away... So fuckin' far away...
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    20% of the shows
    I don't think any song should be played at two shows in a row.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    mrluthor9mrluthor9 Posts: 264
    10% of the shows
    Non album tours are always the better set lists... a lot less repeated songs.
    All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives,.....choosing the shiny ones instead,......
  • Options
    BMo-643BMo-643 Posts: 220
    edited April 2016
    30% of the shows
    Been to 11 shows and seen it 10 times. Would much rather those stats show that I've only seen it 3-4 times. I like the sing-a-long songs that you hear at every show (Elderly Woman, Black, Corduroy, Betterman) much better than songs like Alive, DTE, Evenflow, but thats just me. Its weird to say that I wished a band like Pearl Jam would shuffle their setlist but, I kind of do. I'm beyond tired of RITFW and wished they would just retire it and I find it sort of weird that after 11 shows I've only heard something like Go, Deep, Garden Low Light, Oceans, Wash, and Leash once and have never heard stuff like Immortality, Indifference, Blood, Dissident, Glorified G, Light Years, Nothing as it Seems, I Am Mine among many others.

You know going into a PJ show that you're going to get 25-33ish songs (you also know if you're seeing them at a non-Bonnaroo festival the setlist will probably be "dumbed down" and less likely for an eclectic set list.) You know that you're going to get 4-5 songs from the latest album and you're going to get Alive, DTE, Evenflow, Betterman, Elderly Woman, Corduroy, and you're going to hear either Ledbetter or RITFW. And statistically (at least for me) probably Black, Given To Fly and RVM and a 50/50 shot at Porch, Daughter, Why Go, State of Love and Trust and a 100% chance that you'll get 2-3 of that group. So in my experience for any given PJ show you're going into it with close to 20 of the songs already scheduled and its just those 10-12 random songs that they mix in where you get to hear something you haven't heard before. Like for Lexington it was actually a really rare show where they played longer than I expected (33 songs) and I got to hear 6 songs I hadn't heard before..granted 2 where covers..but still...getting 6 new songs is quiet a bit if you've seen them a bunch of times. Most concerts now I'm lucky to get 3-4 songs.
    Post edited by BMo-643 on
    Cincinnati 06'
    Lollapalooza 07'
    Bonnaroo 08'
    Columbus 10'
    Noblesville 10'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Music Midtown 12'
    Wrigley Field 13'
    Cincinnati 14'
    Lexington 16'
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    80% of the shows
    rummy said:

How about this: I'm going to both Toronto shows. I am hoping to only hear it once.

Same goes for every other one of their great, great songs.

I think most fans going to 2 shows back to back want to hear as many different songs as they can
  • Options
    20% of the shows
    I saw 3 Widespread Panic shows last week and only got 1 repeat in those. I wish Pearl Jam would strive more to change stuff up.

And yes please retire Rockin In The Free World. Cover any other Neil Young song that one is terrible and beaten to death.
  • Options
    80% of the shows
    rummy said:

Don't get me wrong, I like Even Flow - it's classic PJ but...
    ..is it bigger than, say, Jeremy? I make the comparison because Jeremy only gets played at about 50% of the shows and I'm pretty sure a first-timer would also like to hear than one, no?

I like Jeremy better, actually my own personal rankings for Ten, Even Flow is the 11th ranked song on the album
  • Options
    80% of the shows
    jordn6971 said:

I saw 3 Widespread Panic shows last week and only got 1 repeat in those. I wish Pearl Jam would strive more to change stuff up.

And yes please retire Rockin In The Free World. Cover any other Neil Young song that one is terrible and beaten to death.

I love Harvest Moon or Cinnamon Girl
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I wish they stopped playing it to be honest.
  • Options
    80% of the shows
    After 96 votes, 48 voted 50% or less, and 48 voted more than 50%, I think a lot of it is that if you get all the bootlegs, it is on almost every bootleg, and any song if you hear it too much, it can wear you down
  • Options
    Chris519Chris519 Posts: 150
    100% of the shows
    Please keep playing it at every show. This is my song to empty my bladder and get more beer.
  • Options
    80% of the shows
    Chris519 said:

Please keep playing it at every show. This is my song to empty my bladder and get more beer.

LOL
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    50% of the shows

rummy said:

How about this: I'm going to both Toronto shows. I am hoping to only hear it once.

I think most fans going to 2 shows back to back want to hear as many different songs as they can
    Then don't ever go to two straight U2 shows.
  • Options
    80% of the shows
    rummy said:

rummy said:

Then don't ever go to two straight U2 shows.
    Or Metallica they do the same thing
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    intodeep said:

Play it every time. It is always someon'es first show.

I totally agree. If they insist on having a song that they play (virtually) every night, I'm glad this is the one. Same with Do The Evolution.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    athenssmileathenssmile Posts: 147
    Chris519 said:

This. It is exactly why I love to hear this song. For people who don't know their later music, they are never going to leave to go to the bathroom during this song. I know the line will be shorter and, if I run fast enough, I can usually get back before Mike is even done. This being said, the fact that they didn't play it at Greenville made that night even more special.
    well, fuckers, he still stands
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,268
    100% of the shows
    "Stone was more of a perfectionist than I was", says Ament. "We must have played 'Even Flow' one hundred times in the course of that month. We ended up beating that song to a pulp. 'Even Flow' might be the best song on the record, but even when I listen to it today I think, "God, we didn't quite get it". We put pressure on ourselves, but I think that comes down to us thinking, "Oh my God, we got another chance, we can't screw this one up". ~ Jeff Ament
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    80% of the shows
    Sorry I couldn't resist
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePjESN9pRdg
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    Even Flow in Lexington might be the best version Ive ever heard. Mike absolutely sleighed the solo. I thought I didn't care if they played it and probably leaned on the side of "it would be cool if it wasn't played" and then bam...one of the best songs of the show! Blown away by Mike Fucking McCready.
  • Options
    20% of the shows
    Pearl jam setlists have become very stale and predictable. I feel like they were really special 2006 and before. Back then it was fun to go to a lot of shows and easy to do so they way ten club did tickets. So much has changed with this band and not for the better unfortunately.
  • Options
    100% of the shows
    jordn6971 said:

Pearl jam setlists have become very stale and predictable. I feel like they were really special 2006 and before. Back then it was fun to go to a lot of shows and easy to do so they way ten club did tickets. So much has changed with this band and not for the better unfortunately.

stale and predictable?
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    80% of the shows

jordn6971 said:

stale and predictable?
    lol, I thought the same thing
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    40% of the shows
    It's my bathroom and bar break song. It was awesome in the 90's but it's old and kinda played out... They have 100's of songs, no need to play it this much. I picked 40% because I thought one out of every two shows would be cool but then I thought nah, even less would be better
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    80% of the shows
    any time they want to replace Even Flow with this, I won't complain
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwhjk_2ANW0
  • Options
    20% of the shows
    Yes predictable. They close with the same songs every show. The whole album shows a pretty cool but that can't last.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    jordn6971 said:

Yes predictable. They close with the same songs every show. The whole album shows a pretty cool but that can't last.

Something like 120+ different songs through 10 shows is predictable?? Uh ok :confounded:
  • Options
    100% of the shows

jordn6971 said:

Something like 120+ different songs through 10 shows is predictable?? Uh ok :confounded:
    yep. and don't forget stale...
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    20% of the shows

jordn6971 said:

They repeated 11 songs in the two philly shows. They have enough great songs that they shouldn't have to repeat any in the same city in two shows. Wow and we got all of 10...
  • Options
    jpequjpequ Posts: 142
    jordn6971 said:

jordn6971 said:

They repeated 11 songs in the two philly shows. They have enough great songs that they shouldn't have to repeat any in the same city in two shows. Wow and we got all of 10...
    Not everyone is fortunate enough to attend both shows of a back to back stint. There's the economics of it, child care, 10C lotto, among many other factors. They should and do take that into account. The 2nd show is not the 3rd, 4th, and 5th encore for the 1st.

That said, my vote is 30%. Heard it 19/20 shows so far.