Options

*** Columbia, SC Fanviews Here 4/21/16 ***

Comments

• Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    jordn6971 said:

I also saw a heavy flow of people leaving the show during Ledbetter. The band seems so disconnected with their long time fans it's sad. They are just too predictable.

Yet you couldn't predict they were canceling in advance... heh.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited April 2016

I enjoyed this MUCH more than the ruthless em effing insect attack I suffered at a certain Columbia hotel. Holy shit.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I gave my tenclub ticket to my father and say in general seating to be further from the speakers. He had a blast and as a musician and lover of music he really appreciated the quality of the show. The thing that he admired most was the stage presence and actions of the band, particularly Eddie.
    He said, "those guys are real rock stars, the look like the Who up there!"
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    rgambs said:

I gave my tenclub ticket to my father and say in general seating to be further from the speakers. He had a blast and as a musician and lover of music he really appreciated the quality of the show. The thing that he admired most was the stage presence and actions of the band, particularly Eddie.
    He said, "those guys are real rock stars, the look like the Who up there!"

They really are. One thing I mentioned to a friend the other day was that in all the shows I've been to I have rarely if ever heard Eddie repeat a story or joke on stage. I go to other concerts and just cringe sometimes when the signer talks between songs. You can tell it is all in-personal and not specific to the night or city. Ed has a gift.
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    jeffwalsh said:

jordn6971 said:

I also saw a heavy flow of people leaving the show during Ledbetter. The band seems so disconnected with their long time fans it's sad. They are just too predictable.

Too soon. They close with a rotation of 3 songs. That is what I mean by predictable. Surely Neil Young has better songs to cover besides Rockin' In The Free World.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300
    jordn6971 said:

jeffwalsh said:

jordn6971 said:

Too soon. They close with a rotation of 3 songs. That is what I mean by predictable. Surely Neil Young has better songs to cover besides Rockin' In The Free World.
    Fuckin' Up is a better Neil Young song for the band to play
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    edited April 2016

jordn6971 said:

jeffwalsh said:

jordn6971 said:

Fuckin' Up is a better Neil Young song for the band to play
    Exactly! Fits them perfectly more now than ever
  • Options
    People who are lucky enough to have seen pearl jam or any great band "150 Times" should take more time being thankful instead of complaining over 1 "off show". I've only been able to see pearl jam 5 Times and I'll never forget how lucky I am
    The future's paved....with better days
  • Options
    here!here!
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    Damn that looks like a great set!!! Oceans to open, light years, marker, rise and yesterday's ?? Boom! see you Thursday in S. Philly!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

People who are lucky enough to have seen pearl jam or any great band "150 Times" should take more time being thankful instead of complaining over 1 "off show". I've only been able to see pearl jam 5 Times and I'll never forget how lucky I am

I think that was BS anyways, I can't imagine someone seeing PJ 150 times and then spouting off like a spoiled child in such a petulant fit.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    150 is not that many if you have been going to shows for 20+ years. And it's not luck it's commitment.

I don't think he's as mad that he missed one show as he is that the band would do this to all of its fans.
  • Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888

People don't have to love everything Pearl Jam does, and I'm of the opinion that the Raleigh cancellation was a bad idea, from a political activism standpoint. But it's just rude to boo people -- any people -- on a stage. It's a really vulnerable place to be, no matter how many shows you have under your belt. Here was Eddie trying to apologize, and instead of forgiveness, he got a fuck you. I don't like that.

So the only time you can voice an opinion at a Pearl Jam concert is only if you agree with what they are saying? If you disagree, stay silent?

Yes! It wasn't a discussion! When you're at the podium, speak, when someone asks, answer, otherwise pls show some respect, in my opinion.
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options
    I've been to 10 Pearl Jam shows and if I had to rank 'em, this was def top 3...

(in fact I did just rank 'em...)

Charlottesville 2013
    Leeds 2014
    Columbia 2016
    Montreal 2011
    Hampton 2016
    Phoenix 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Worcester 2 2013
    Worcester 1 2013
    Bristow 2010

• Options
    IMHO EV can say whatever the eff he wants, whenever the eff he wants.
    As part of the mob, you're either into it, or not. you can respond accordingly

carry on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    1 more tidbit

rise
    slight of hand
    footsteps
    all those yesterdays
    corduroy
    got some
    (my 1st BS tune in 4 LB era shows, yeah yeah yeah)
    wasted reprise/life wasted
    porch

AND a Mikey pick

that's quality entertainment
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    Being able to attend and afford 150 shows over 20 years is absolutely a lot! And it is a commitment but its not like your committing to some noble cause, so it most definitely is luck to spend time in such a fashion
  • Options
    I would have taken the "burden" an made the "commitment" to see all those shows in a second-had I been LUCKY enough to do so , but other commitments like family,health, and money prohibited that largely.Im not unlucky, just reasonable unfortunately
  • Options
    tfreaneytfreaney Posts: 26

YES! Well said dude...

We named our dog Mookie!
  • Options
    dpduke69dpduke69 Raleigh, NC Posts: 187
    Feel really lucky to have caught Chloe Dancer/Crown Thorns. Didn't expect it at all. Great memory.
    2013: Charlotte
    2016: Greenville Columbia
  • Options

I would have taken the "burden" an made the "commitment" to see all those shows in a second-had I been LUCKY enough to do so , but other commitments like family,health, and money prohibited that largely.Im not unlucky, just reasonable unfortunately

I don't agree with that logic. You may be jealous that someone has seen 150 shows but its not luck. It takes money and planning and sacrifice.

• Options
    bamaogle14bamaogle14 Posts: 15
    edited April 2016
    Of course, we should just be thankful for our good fortune and that's how we pay respect to the sacrifices that it takes is more my point, I apologize
    Post edited by bamaogle14 on
  • Options
    Any ways sorry for "ranting" on a fanview forum, we're all lucky and we all make commitments & sacrifices, no disrespect for anyone's opinions, May we all keep perspective in mind
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    If anyone snagged a spare Columbia sticker and wants to part with it, let me know. Thanks!
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    Columbia crowd was off the hook. People were doing the Wave before the show, and I don't mean some half-assed attempt but the whole goddamn arena was getting into it. I haven't see the Wave at a baseball game in two decades and here it was going on before a concert! It went around the arena a good 8-10 times.

I also want to give a shout out to the tall guy in the tie-dye No Code shirt in fan club section 113 Row 14, dude rocked out harder than anyone I've seen in a long time. I didn't see him drink or inhale anything all night, he was just high on PJ. I had to acknowledge him after the show, and he said it was his 16th show, and it was the best show he's seen. I wouldn't disagree!

I took a friend to her first show. She now loves Footsteps and Immortality, and keeps asking me to send her more songs!

Columbia was a fun place to road trip to. I look forward to the next show there. Sometimes the small town shows are better than the big city gigs!
  • Options
    PJlivePJlive Earth Posts: 469
    ceska said:

Columbia crowd was off the hook. People were doing the Wave before the show, and I don't mean some half-assed attempt but the whole goddamn arena was getting into it. I haven't see the Wave at a baseball game in two decades and here it was going on before a concert! It went around the arena a good 8-10 times.

I also want to give a shout out to the tall guy in the tie-dye No Code shirt in fan club section 113 Row 14, dude rocked out harder than anyone I've seen in a long time. I didn't see him drink or inhale anything all night, he was just high on PJ. I had to acknowledge him after the show, and he said it was his 16th show, and it was the best show he's seen. I wouldn't disagree!

I took a friend to her first show. She now loves Footsteps and Immortality, and keeps asking me to send her more songs!

Columbia was a fun place to road trip to. I look forward to the next show there. Sometimes the small town shows are better than the big city gigs!

This was in my top 3 favorite shows. I've seen a good bit, but the energy was nuts!!!
    9/1-9/2/2000 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    4/28/2003 - The Spectrum, Phila, PA
    5/3/2003 - Bryce Jordan Center, State College, PA
    7/5-7/6/2003 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    7/13/2003 - Hershey Park, Hershey, PA
    10/1/2004 - Sovereign Center, Reading, PA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge, George, WA
    10/03/2005 - Wachovia Center, Phila, PA
    5/27-5/28/2006 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    6/16/2008 - Columbia, SC
    6/19-6/20/2008 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    6/24-6/25 - Madison Square Garden
    10/28-10/31/2008 - The Spectrum, Phila, PA
    9/22/2012 - MidTown, Atlanta, GA
    10/21-10/22 - Wells Fargo Center, Phila, PA
    10/30/2013 - Charlotte, NC
    04/21/2016 - Columbia, SC
  • Options
    ceska said:

I forgot about the pre-show wave! You're right...it wasn't some half-ass wave with a couple of sections participating. It was the whole venue, upper and lower levels, and the floor just seemed to get caught up in it all. The anticipation set the stage for an incredible amount of energy...the place was amped up. It was almost as if the boys waited backstage on purpose...just a tease...then opening slow with Oceans, Low Light, and Small Town, it was as if they were saying calm down, pace yourselves, buckle up, then BAM with Animal!! Great show indeed.

2013 Charlotte, 2016 Greenville, 2016 Columbia, 2016 MSG1, 2018 Barcelona, 2018 Seattle2

• Options

ceska said:

I forgot about the pre-show wave! You're right...it wasn't some half-ass wave with a couple of sections participating. It was the whole venue, upper and lower levels, and the floor just seemed to get caught up in it all. The anticipation set the stage for an incredible amount of energy...the place was amped up. It was almost as if the boys waited backstage on purpose...just a tease...then opening slow with Oceans, Low Light, and Small Town, it was as if they were saying calm down, pace yourselves, buckle up, then BAM with Animal!! Great show indeed.
    upper levels were empty.... maybe 40 people up there....
  • Options
    jordn6971 said:

ceska said:

upper levels were empty.... maybe 40 people up there....
    Too much brown acid at those wsp shows brah
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    The PJ Lean

Air Eddie 1

Air Eddie 2

"You didn't know I could jump like Mike, did you?"

Boomful of Soul

Porch

Wine Shower Spiral

The Band