*** Hampton, VA Fanviews Here 4/18/16 ***

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,599
    GB281198 said:

Really enjoyed the show thought it was good but not great. Charlottesville show was the last show I attended and this one wasn't as good as that one. I prefer the slow openers over a fast start. My highlight would have to be Inside Job one of my favorites. Have mixed opinion on GA being my first time experiencing it but took my nephew who liked the pit a lot. Overall enjoyed it just a little bummed going to miss the Raleigh show....

Thanks for the insight. Can you go a little deeper on what bothered you/what you liked about GA?
  • kg162716kg162716 Posts: 567
    edited April 2016
    My fav setlist so far..
    Come back/inside job/long road/breath
    Toronto '03, Boston '04, Halifax '05, Boston 1&2 '06, Mansfield 1&2 '08, Boston '10, Toronto 1&2 '11, Brooklyn 1&2 13, Sao Paulo '15, Brasilia '15, Belo Horizonte '15, Rio '15, Quebec '16, Fenway '1&2 16', Seattle 1 & 2 18', Quebec ‘22
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,592
    kg162716 said:

My fav setlist so far..
    Come back/inside job/long road/breath

+Faithfull -> I am Mine... I thought it was pretty damn good. Plus... no one has commented on the Black 'tag'. He went deep into the "we belong together"... not just one line but did it for a minute or so.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,627
    edited April 2016
    Ive had a day to come down and collect my thoughts. Its impossible to me to rank this show compared to others ive attended. But this one was definitely special.

House lights up and they kicked right into Why Go WOW!! For me the main set was absolutely FLAWLESS. My only complaint is Sirens. Its a great album track but sucks live. EV cannot get the lyrics right and theres just no good spot for it. Other than that, Main set was insane. All the tags were there also, Modern Girl (amazing), ITS OK!!!! almost brought tears to my eyes and Black had a short We Belong later on. Long Road mid set was a huge surprise, another one that always chokes me up. Habit is so heavy live its almost scary. I could see it literally scaring a casual fan .

After such a flawless main set, here comes the main problem so far this tour. Encore 1.
    Patriot is this tours Imagine. Its an emotional moment but there are countless other acoustic songs id rather see. SBM was ok but EVs mistake during the bridge made it so endearing. The way he handled it was so funny, I recommend watching a video of it online just for the mistake. Come Back, solid performance but another one I could do without. At this point I started to get worried the show was going downhill. Then they pull out Sad. I love this song and was bummed when it was scratched off Brooklyn 2 setlist. Its also in my wifes top songs so I was happy for her. LB is tired to me. Between all the boots ive listened to Im sick of it. Plus there was an incident in the GA that took everyone out of the song. EV motioned to someone and had them thrown out. I think there was a little scuffle. LB had me worried again but then the show elevated to legendary for me. IN MY TREE as an audible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy Crap it fucking killed.NEXT UP BREATH!! WHATTTTTTTTTTT?? HOWWW? They played it last night and tonight!!! Wow. I was having an out of body experience. Evolution straight into Porch was just a fantastic way to end an encore that started off pretty limp.

Small Town gets played a lot and it should. The album version is good but live its my favorite sing along. Another one that puts tears of joy in my eyes during certain lines. Its just fantastic and Ill take it at every show. Inside Job was awesome, an underrated gem from an underrated album IMO. Classic finish after that to cap off an amazing show that almost lost all momentum in encore 1. From In My Tree on the show went to another level.

Scary thing is , The set coulda been pretty lame after the main set on paper. Again IMT wasnt on the set and Breath/ Got SOme , EV could of made a lame decision and went with GS. I probably would have cried if that happened. All in all, an excellent start for me. Show 1/6 and I couldnt have asked for more. What a great band to be a fan of. So happy. Next week starts my 4 shows in 5 days run and I cant imagine how those shows are going to be. My wife is such a fan now. She cant even understand how they do what they do every night. She loved our U2 shows , hell she came to 6/8 of them and never got bored, but she likes Pearl Jam more now. She says theres something more human about them and the setlists and band/fan energy are just insane.On to Philly next.....
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Why are the days following a show so damn depressing? I just cant get motivated to go back to a normal day.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

"I'm not the paper, I'm more like the fold ..."
  • alizmializmi Baltimore...MD Posts: 196
    Second show on this tour for me so far (I had rail in Miami as well) and they just keep getting better each time. After reading many posts about how bad a show it was I am left scratching my head. Seriously?!?! WTF show were you all at? The set list speaks for itself. They pulled out several titles that just don't get played often (no need to name the songs, just look at the number of plays of each song and appreciate this show) This was a standout show in my opinion.
    I was GA about 5 deep on Mikes side. His interaction with us was fantastic. Ed was pumped and jumping like he was 25. Didn't read anyone else post this but near the end during Porch, Ed climbed onto the speaker and tempted us with a stage dive. He mouthed to us a couple of times "I really wanna do it". We all yelled JUMP over and over and I actually thought he was gonna.
    As far as the NC show goes...PJ is an activist band. They were NEVER going to play there. For anyone to think they were ever going to play Carolina especially after Bruce just cancelled his show, you were only fooling yourself.
    Bottom line...PJ Hampton ROCKED and I had an amazing night!!!
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Dennis Justice strikes again..thank you ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JNl-YVQtcc
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

Wow. Thanks for the vid.
  • GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 396
    PJNB said:

GB281198 said:

Really enjoyed the show thought it was good but not great. Charlottesville show was the last show I attended and this one wasn't as good as that one. I prefer the slow openers over a fast start. My highlight would have to be Inside Job one of my favorites. Have mixed opinion on GA being my first time experiencing it but took my nephew who liked the pit a lot. Overall enjoyed it just a little bummed going to miss the Raleigh show....

Thanks for the insight. Can you go a little deeper on what bothered you/what you liked about GA?
    The positive would be a great view of the band from my location in the middle about two thirds to the back. I could see Eddie and Stone great from where I was and watching Stone was definitely a highlight. For the negative I was slightly annoyed by the constant flow of people from the front to back and vice versa. I stood in the same place mostly from 7 until the end of the show so people asking me to move so they could return to the front got annoying. By no means am I saying I had a bad experience, I'm just not saying if I get the chance to go to another show that it will be GA or nothing. I've had just as good a time in the seats at other shows.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,599
    GB281198 said:

PJNB said:

GB281198 said:

The positive would be a great view of the band from my location in the middle about two thirds to the back. I could see Eddie and Stone great from where I was and watching Stone was definitely a highlight. For the negative I was slightly annoyed by the constant flow of people from the front to back and vice versa. I stood in the same place mostly from 7 until the end of the show so people asking me to move so they could return to the front got annoying. By no means am I saying I had a bad experience, I'm just not saying if I get the chance to go to another show that it will be GA or nothing. I've had just as good a time in the seats at other shows.
    Ya I could see how that would be annoying for sure if you were into the show and kept getting distracted from traffic coming in and out. Glad you had a good time otherwise.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,583
    GB281198 said:

PJNB said:

GB281198 said:

Stand in the back of the pit next time. You're sacrificing ten yards tops, no one bothers you and you have personal space. It's the place to be. It took me 2 shows to figure that out.
  • simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    I've been fortunate enough to see this band 60 plus times over the 25 years, and love to take 24 hour getaways to see them. Flying down from Boston to such a small venue was a no brained on this tour. Joined by 3 of my best friends, a party was guaranteed. Well, sadly, it ranks towards the bottom for me. Now I was absolutely shitfaced heading in, so take my opinion for nothing if you choose...
    The sound was low, muffled, and on a whole...sucked.
    The band certainly entered the room angry and uninspired. The crowd did not help that situation, as the pit energy was fairly low. The people around us in the pit (30 feet, dead center), cared more about the size of their biceps, than any band that may have been in front of them.
    I echo some others that say that the show is made by the people around you. Of course I'm going to lover the music no matter what, but when your 40 all of a sudden, it's nice to have the motivation coming from all around. (See Barclay's a couple years ago)
    Lastly, North Carolina. I can not for the life of me, figure out why this band didn't make the announcement on the 19th. If you're gonna wait til monday, u might as well wait til Tuesday. It's the band's fault Hampton didn't live up to the hype, and they know it. I wasn't going to NC, so I had no skin in the game, but 90 minutes before the show... really???
    And to the cops that woke me up, and got me a cab... you guys rock. I know how bad you could have made it for me.
    Til Fenway...peace
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,505

thank you to ten club for amazing ADA seats. not an easy thing to plan. some venues have bad ADA seats.

i’ll never forget this show!
    … because we almost lost our tickets and keys in the bathroom. ekkk!
    my husband ran back to the family restroom. our tickets were still there … WOW … but our keys were gone.
    i got them back at security right before the doors opened.
    omg.

why was the 10c ticket pick up line so long? gesh.
    saw and told a guy is shirt was the best i had seen so far, Why Go Oklahoma? PJ’s opener! whatdaknowit? :)

sorry we did not make it over to Tapps for the fundraiser.

this was a home show for me and it was great!

thanks to all the people who spotted me and said HI! that was AWESOME to meet forum members.

peace and love.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• BL176748 said:

I cannot for the life of me figure out where the negatives are coming from unless it all has to do with their own disappointment in the Raleigh show deal. I was in GA and had an absolute blast!! The set list was great, sound was great, band was on and in a good mood. Nothing but smiles and energy all around me.

Seriously, every single person I was even near in GA was having a great time. Singing, jumping around, smiling, etc. Me and my wife were next to the guy dressed like a shark and I can assure you that THAT guy was not lacking any kind of energy. I cannot tell you how many times me and that shark suit came in contact with each other but none of it was an issue what so ever. Nothing but good folks having yet another time of our lives.

And as someone who lives in NC and who has been a PJ fans since the very beginning I wasn't surprised by the cancellation at all. I hate it for the fans...me included, had tickets and a hotel room that I will reimbursed for and was able to cancel my room with no penalty what so ever...i actually saved money by not going now...and those who may have lost some money but PJ is absolutely right and did the right thing here. This HB2 bullshit was nothing but an attempt to allow for the continued discrimination of others. Again, if a show that hadn't happen yet was somehow effecting your enjoyment of the show that you were at and was actually happening then that's a you problem and you quite simply aren't doing it right.

I've seen around 20 shows and I would put this one right in the middle...or maybe a little higher...and that's only because I have seen some absolutely epic ones and to be honest have never really seen a 'bad' one...just some that connected more than others.

Yep totally echo all of that. I too was by Shark guy most of night! He definitely earned that tambourine for as hot as that damn thing must have been. Passed him a j for him and his friends and they were very appreciative... Good company in pit. The sound was a bit muffled as you got closer to stage which was my only complaint. Also, the video clearly shows the crowd very supportive of Ed's statement on NC - the booing only occurring at the beginning which IMO was booing of the bill. I Am a Patriot the perfect song to follow.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    I just realized I got Not For You for the first time ever at this show. Cool.

With a great tag. I think we got all tags at the show. Black tag, It's okay, Not for you. I thought it was a great show.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    mrussel1 said:

With a great tag. I think we got all tags at the show. Black tag, It's okay, Not for you. I thought it was a great show.
    Not a Sleater Kinney fan whatsoever, but that tag is totally fine with Ed doing it. Also got Brain of J for the first time but I knew that when I heard it. Finally broke 50% on Yield!

• This beat any show from 2000-12 and idiots are complaining. Not for you, dumb PJ fans.

This might be the least accurate opinion I've seen on this board in a long long time.
    Gorge
    mrussel1 said:

Yup all tags accounted for. It's Ok was such a treat. Wow. Best tag ever. It takes daughter to another level.
  • PearlJamAdamPearlJamAdam Powhatan VA Posts: 33
    I thought this was one hell of a show. They have been spoiling us for far to long. Just because they don't go totally off the wall every night they play does not make it a worse playlist. I got a few that I had never heard live before. (Just like everytime) There was alot I'd heard before and I'm thankful to have been there to have seen them live again... This setlist and performance will go down just like all of them. F*cking Awesome!!! Thanks guys for the memories and I can't wait for the boot...
  • iamrockmusiciamrockmusic Orlando, FL Posts: 443
    Bird889 said:

Was anyone else secretly hoping for No Way to be played after Faithful...

yes...
    Mesa 11/7/93 - Charlotte 10/4/96 - DC 6/14/98 - Raleigh 8/31/98 - Knoxville 9/6/98 - Columbia MD 9/18/98 - DC 9/19/98 - Columbia MD 9/4/00 - Phoenix 10/21/00 - Raleigh 4/15/03 - Phoenix 6/7/03 - Philadelphia 5/27&28/06 - DC 5/30/06 - Las Vegas 7/6/06 - San Diego 7/7/06 - LA 7/9&10/06 - Gorge 7/22&23/06 - Chicago 8/5/07 - PJ20 9/3&4/11 - Jacksonville 11/24/12 (EV) - Orlando 11/27/12 (EV) - Brooklyn 10/18&19/13 - Charlotte 10/30/13 - Memphis 10/14/14 - Ft Lauderdale 4/8/16 - Miami 4/9/16 - Jacksonville 4/13/16 - Hampton 4/18/16 - Chicago 8/20&22/16
  • This was an absolutely amazing and emotional show for me. Met some wonderful ppl in the GA line and rocked our asses off in on the rail/in the pit all night. From where I was, energy was unreal. Setlist was solid...not the best, but still great. I think this show is the perfect demonstration that you can not determine how great a show was simply from the setlist. One of the greatest shows I have been too.

On another note, did anyone get a good pic of EV rocking the Sanders/Warren hat? Thanks in advance if you have one!
    Pittsburgh '98; Pittsburgh '00; State College '03; DC '06; E. Rutherford 2 '06; Bristow '10; Chicago '13; Philly 1 '13; Baltimore '13; Charlottesville '13; New Orleans '13; Stockholm '14; Oslo '14; NYC '15; Sao Paul '15; Rio '15; Hampton 16
  • beach2112beach2112 Posts: 20
    This was my second show, the first being Moline. I simply cannot compare the two, because they were both amazing in their own way. I stood in the same place for both shows (approx. 4th row GA in front of Mike), and I would say that the sound in Hampton was slightly better than in Moline from that location, but both were very good. I agree that the band seemed a bit somber when they walked out, but that quickly went away. I thought the setlist kicked ass! So many of my favorites in there, they just kept cranking them out one after another. It was a top notch show, and I can't wait for Wrigley 1 and 2 to see them again (although I have reserved seats with a high 10C number, so I might be in the nosebleed section).

I'm glad Eddie caught the jerk that was causing trouble, and I'm certain the crowd on Stone's side was glad to get rid of him. My only question is: Will that knucklehead get his claim to fame by being able to boast to his friends that he's the one that caused "Lightning Bolt" to get interrupted on the boot? I'm hoping that they can cut that part out somehow.
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    Fun fact: supposedly, that's the same knucklehead that was ejected from the Reading 2004 show. 1 ass, 2 ejections.
    CopperTom said:

Fun fact: supposedly, that's the same knucklehead that was ejected from the Reading 2004 show. 1 ass, 2 ejections.

Really?? 12 years and no behavior changes. Impressive.
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    mrussel1 said:

CopperTom said:

Really?? 12 years and no behavior changes. Impressive.
    He was carried out of Reading by several security guards. He walked out of Hampton. That's growth, I guess.

I was "lucky" enough to have seen both.
  • jjheel13jjheel13 Durham, NC Posts: 222
    edited April 2016
    Great show
    Post edited by jjheel13 on
    Bristow 10
    Boston 10
    Moline 14
    Greenville 16
    Hampton 16
    Columbia 16
  • datfly1datfly1 Posts: 27
    A little "In My Tree" from Hampton to start the day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ6dS1SdEz0&feature=youtu.be
    datfly1 said:

A little "In My Tree" from Hampton to start the day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ6dS1SdEz0&feature=youtu.be

Amazing. So happy we got it that night.
    In My Tree-->Breath is unmatched.