Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

1383940414244»

Comments

• Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    So Roy Cooper is behind in the polls here in NC to Pat McCrory.

PJ could have made a real difference by turning that show into a Cooper rally. They made almost zero impact in terms of moving the needle for HB2 by cancelling but they sure as hell promoted themselves globally as people who care. What bs.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/governor/
  • Options
    wgwg Posts: 411
    YEAH! You tell 'em JP!
  • Options
    AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 826
    JP Losman said:

PJ could have made a real difference by turning that show into a Cooper rally. They made almost zero impact in terms of moving the needle for HB2 by cancelling but they sure as hell promoted themselves globally as people who care. What bs.

Bingo
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,573
    yup.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    AlexanaAlexana Posts: 66
    JP Losman said:

While the band could have done more the greater issue at hand is how disorganized the Democratic party is in NC. I have lived in Charlotte since 1990 (only leaving to go to college) and there are truly 2 North Carolinas. Just like in NY where you have the city which is liberal and the rest of the state which is more conservative. In NC you have a liberal Charlotte (but not that liberal as they elected McCrory multiple times) and a conservative rest of the state. The NBC affiliate in Charlotte, WCNC has perhaps the most insane commenters on their Facebook stories. It is disgusting.

I squarely blame the party for failing to raise awareness of the true implications of HB2, the crooked Duke Energy backdoor dealings of McCrory, and the financial implications of the actions this administration has had on the state. It is nice to say that a band could have had an impact but isn't it more honest to say that the band helped fan a flame and the people watching that flame failed to cultivate the fire they were provided?
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    edited July 2016
    Alexana said:

It is nice to say that a band could have had an impact but isn't it more honest to say that the band helped fan a flame and the people watching that flame failed to cultivate the fire they were provided?

Nope. This isn't something that Ed or Bruce could have fixed. I know they think they're masters of the universe, but this is a matter of law, and will be settled in the courts.
    Post edited by jeffbr on
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    JP Losman said:

What have you done to push the needle?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    Time to get over it JP.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    Alexana said:

JP Losman said:

While the band could have done more the greater issue at hand is how disorganized the Democratic party is in NC. I have lived in Charlotte since 1990 (only leaving to go to college) and there are truly 2 North Carolinas. Just like in NY where you have the city which is liberal and the rest of the state which is more conservative. In NC you have a liberal Charlotte (but not that liberal as they elected McCrory multiple times) and a conservative rest of the state. The NBC affiliate in Charlotte, WCNC has perhaps the most insane commenters on their Facebook stories. It is disgusting.

I squarely blame the party for failing to raise awareness of the true implications of HB2, the crooked Duke Energy backdoor dealings of McCrory, and the financial implications of the actions this administration has had on the state. It is nice to say that a band could have had an impact but isn't it more honest to say that the band helped fan a flame and the people watching that flame failed to cultivate the fire they were provided?
    You consider Charlotte liberal? :lol:
    c'mon on up to Asheville and I will show you liberal .

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options

JP Losman said:

Are you joking? Specifically, I've been and still am an organizer and helped a state senator get elected who is against HB2 . I've been working and volunteering to promote social justice overall here and many of the non profits in the triangle have been working towards repeal HB2 in whatever way they can but ultimately this is going to be decided in the courts.
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

Alexana said:

JP Losman said:

haha...Raleigh is relatively liberal too. Wake county but we are considered a big swing county by both campaigns right now. I've been hearing from both Red and Blue pacs that are pouring money into Wake county. They both think it is critical.
  • Options
    JP Losman said:

lolobugg said:

Alexana said:

JP Losman said:

haha...Raleigh is relatively liberal too. Wake county but we are considered a big swing county by both campaigns right now. I've been hearing from both Red and Blue pacs that are pouring money into Wake county. They both think it is critical.
    Yeah, I think Charlotte is the MAIN reason that the state went for Romney in 2012. Love Raleigh.
    Asheville is in the bag, but they gerrymandered us into the Gaston County congressional district to try to cut our balls off.
    I think Wake will come back Blue just for the reason of Trump being top of the Republican ticket. Hopefully that will have the Obama/Bev Purdue effect and get Cooper elected.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    boycotts don't neccesarily work and usually have unintended consequences, both politically and financially... when a large business starts to lose money, who loses their job? the working man does... the brunt of these actions almost always get passed on to the working class... do we think the ceo of the company that owns the arena in Raleigh is going to voluntarily tighten his belt and reduce his compensation, or is he going to cut jobs that they suddenly find "expendable"?

for example, if pearl jam wasn't doing well financially do we think eddie vedder loses his job? I'm guessing they would find other "fat to trim" (Santos, watch your back lol)

Do we think the sanctions against North Korea really hurt their elite rulling class? absolutely not, they live in wealth and comfort while the rest of the country struggles in poverty... same thing with Sadaam in Iraq, while they were under international sanctions for years he still lived in palaces while the rest of the country suffered

Politically it can also backfire, which it likely will here... they played right into the right wing narrative of the "liberal Hollywood rockstars" versus "the real America"... I guarantee you these boycotts by liberal artists are only galvanizing and energizing the right wing political base that supports these type of laws, and it appears to be showing in the polls

not to mention a boycott is the least "rock n roll" thing you can do in this situation in my opinion... you show up... you go on the radio... you turn up the volume... and you blow the roof off the fucking place... now THAT, is rock n roll

oh well, its over... just a missed opportunity in my opinion
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    JP Losman said:

JP Losman said:

Are you joking? Specifically, I've been and still am an organizer and helped a state senator get elected who is against HB2 . I've been working and volunteering to promote social justice overall here and many of the non profits in the triangle have been working towards repeal HB2 in whatever way they can but ultimately this is going to be decided in the courts.
    Awesome! Good onya' mate! : )
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    It has been almost 3 months. Their boycott did nothing. Thanks to the people on the ground in NC and the politicians on the right side of history for their work in changing this ridiculous law.
  • Options
    green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    edited July 2016
    It's starting to seem like this band cares about every cause under the sun except for the one that has literally killed four people in 48 hours. Not even one tweet. Someone please prove me wrong.
    Post edited by green_girl on
  • Options
    So Trump is picking Pence as his running mate? You guys ALL realize that he signed into a law that was even more discriminatory than HB2 and he appears to be on the ticket of a major party. This is despicable. Even if he is not selected, the fact he is getting that much consideration is disturbing. Pearl Jam literally should not play anywhere where Trump is ahead in the polls then, right? Isn't that what they want to do? Protest by not playing music so that people don't vote for this guy? Religious Freedom Restoration Act in Indiana is exactly what PJ stated they are against. Oh, I forgot, now that they realize this issue is more of a national issue than just a NC issue and that a significant part of the population (who spends money on concerts and merchandise) sadly agrees with such discrimination, PJ and all these other artists will not protest a Trump/Pence ticket by NOT playing music.
  • Options
    my2hands said:

boycotts don't neccesarily work and usually have unintended consequences, both politically and financially... when a large business starts to lose money, who loses their job? the working man does... the brunt of these actions almost always get passed on to the working class... do we think the ceo of the company that owns the arena in Raleigh is going to voluntarily tighten his belt and reduce his compensation, or is he going to cut jobs that they suddenly find "expendable"?

for example, if pearl jam wasn't doing well financially do we think eddie vedder loses his job? I'm guessing they would find other "fat to trim" (Santos, watch your back lol)

Do we think the sanctions against North Korea really hurt their elite rulling class? absolutely not, they live in wealth and comfort while the rest of the country struggles in poverty... same thing with Sadaam in Iraq, while they were under international sanctions for years he still lived in palaces while the rest of the country suffered

Politically it can also backfire, which it likely will here... they played right into the right wing narrative of the "liberal Hollywood rockstars" versus "the real America"... I guarantee you these boycotts by liberal artists are only galvanizing and energizing the right wing political base that supports these type of laws, and it appears to be showing in the polls

not to mention a boycott is the least "rock n roll" thing you can do in this situation in my opinion... you show up... you go on the radio... you turn up the volume... and you blow the roof off the fucking place... now THAT, is rock n roll

oh well, its over... just a missed opportunity in my opinion

very well said
  • Options
    Pence does not believe in climate change or evolution (okay pandering to his base) and has been involved in support of some of the worst laws related to women and lgbt rights...but he is even on the record for saying that he doesn't think smoking cigarettes kills. what a whackjob. What is Pearl Jam going to do about Pence as he is someone that would be very pro HB2 and is a major party VP. Are they going to protest Pence by not playing music? This is crazy to me.

and man i agree...in terms of civil rights...how can there be no statements on the police and black lives matter. I get it if its not your passion issue, but please make a statement and show that you care.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I can find a lot of reasons to not play a lot of places
  • Options
  • Options
    rvmirror67rvmirror67 Posts: 37
    edited September 2016
    lolobugg said:

Alexana said:

JP Losman said:

Right on- Charlotte is not the liberal capital (nor the true capital) of North Carolina. They elected him mayor more than once. That says it all.

Raleigh, my hometown, IS the capital- and is very liberally minded. We just have an unfortunate governor, who is going home to Ohio in a few months, where he belongs. I've never seen such horrible governing, and I'm a lifelong North Carolinian- who is (finally) moving to the Pacific Northwest soon!

Roy Cooper is AHEAD in the polls now, September, and he will get elected. McCrook should already be packing his bags.

Asheville, the liberal capital? Absofuckinglutely!!! Love me some Asheville!!!

I heard the merch would be posted today, September 10th... Was that a hoax, because I can't find it....
    Post edited by rvmirror67 on

1992-8-18 Lollapalooza, Raleigh NC
    2012-11-24 Jacksonville FL, Eddie solo tour
    2012-11-25 Jacksonville FL, Eddie solo tour
    2013-10-27 Baltimore MD
    2013-10-29 Charlottesville VA
    2013-10-30 Charlotte NC
    2013=making up for lost time

[/img]
  • Options

lolobugg said:

Alexana said:

JP Losman said:

Right on- Charlotte is not the liberal capital (nor the true capital) of North Carolina. They elected him mayor more than once. That says it all.

Raleigh, my hometown, IS the capital- and is very liberally minded. We just have an unfortunate governor, who is going home to Ohio in a few months, where he belongs. I've never seen such horrible governing, and I'm a lifelong North Carolinian- who is (finally) moving to the Pacific Northwest soon!

Roy Cooper is AHEAD in the polls now, September, and he will get elected. McCrook should already be packing his bags.

Asheville, the liberal capital? Absofuckinglutely!!! Love me some Asheville!!!

I heard the merch would be posted today, September 10th... Was that a hoax, because I can't find it....
    I agree with you... We need to send McCrory packing!!! get out and vote!!!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    We will see. I am sure the crooked fuck McCrory will find a way to come out on top after the "recount".

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    #stunningandbrave
  • Options
    Even if Roy wins (who my wife & I voted for) after the "McCrory re-count" which is coming, the NC Senate and NC House are bunch of white old men who will never repeal the law. More business will be lost over the next 2-4 years and the fear mongering will continue. The 2 crazies that represent and won our district on the OBX will never break the party line. They used it in their commercials. Sad but true and it truly sucks!!!!