Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    JP Losman said:

When are the Chicago shows getting cancelled? This is a major civil rights issue...on par with HB2 legislation. Take a stand PJ. How in good conscience can you play when your elected officials allow for such a corrupt criminal system and horrible abuse of civil rights. What about fighting for treating people fairly?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/25/us/chicago-police-arrests-civil-rights/index.html

Oh god, not this philosophy again. The one where PJ is obligated to protest everything just because they protested something.
    We've been through this.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    JP Losman said:

When are the Chicago shows getting cancelled? This is a major civil rights issue...on par with HB2 legislation. Take a stand PJ. How in good conscience can you play when your elected officials allow for such a corrupt criminal system and horrible abuse of civil rights. What about fighting for treating people fairly?

Your complaints have become tiresome. As will your attack on me for stating this.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    Bruce is playing Italy later this year, which has plenty of bad gay laws. Why isn't he boycotting that show. Oh and of course, he is playing Chicago too. But if he decided poor people not having their civil rights abused, I'm sure PJ would decide that cause is worthy too.

Hey, this is the criticism is legit. They opened up the door by showing they believe in cancelling to promote change. If that is their best tactic, then it is messed up to not use it for other worthy causes. Is fighting for civil rights for those in Chicago not worth it? It is really messed up what is going on there with the criminal system.
    edited May 2016
    Why don't YOU fight for civil rights in Chicago if you're so worked up about it?? Pick your own battles, and let PJ and Springsteen pick theirs. Geez.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,857
    edited May 2016
    JP Losman said:

This is an issue that is a consistent problem across the entire nation. Granted not to this particular degree everywhere, but nevertheless a problem all across the board. The truth of the matter is, corruption or some form of it exists everywhere on this planet, weather they are civil rights issue, or government/legislative issues, take your pick. What are you going to expect the band to do? Stop performing altogether? Every state, city, country has some sort of fucked up laws or civil rights infringements, the band decided to take a stand on something they feel very strongly about, in a time where the LGBT community is taking an insane amount of abuse, not just by the government, but by their own peers and fellow citizens as well. I understand that the decision the band made came with some awful timing, and it has left a major sour taste in a lot of individuals mouths, but the truth of the matter is they alone can not correct every single problem first hand. They decided to do what they felt was right at the time, and not support a government putting some discriminatory laws into practice. Not to mention that this boycott alone brought a ton of awareness to this issue. Now the way that it all unfolded and how it upset a ton of fans, including the fans who traveled and made all sorts of arrangements to make this show (which I understand the frustration, I do) is a completely different argument. So again I ask, what does anyone propose the band does? Retire altogether and not perform anymore shows because of the corrupt and power driven world we live in? Does that bring awareness to every situation going on in the world today? By doing this do we fix all the worlds problems?
    Post edited by Ray J. T. on
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/05/25/texas-governor-says-state-will-sue-obama-administration-over-bathroom-directive/

Okay, well what about these 11 states who are suing over the same issue? Why is NC cherry picked by the band?

The band made a mistake by creating this slippery slope. I don't actually expect (or even want) PJ to cancel more shows over this or any other issue. But I'd like an acknowledgment from the people who defended the decision that yes, it was a hypocritical decision and that it was unfair to NC. They would never admit it, but a lot of people would respect them if the band admitted it was poorly handled and a mistake too.
    JP Losman said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/05/25/texas-governor-says-state-will-sue-obama-administration-over-bathroom-directive/

Okay, well what about these 11 states who are suing over the same issue? Why is NC cherry picked by the band?

The band made a mistake by creating this slippery slope. I don't actually expect (or even want) PJ to cancel more shows over this or any other issue. But I'd like an acknowledgment from the people who defended the decision that yes, it was a hypocritical decision and that it was unfair to NC. They would never admit it, but a lot of people would respect them if the band admitted it was poorly handled and a mistake too.

That very well may be, however like I previously stated that is a completely different argument. As to why those states are overlooked, I can only assume it is because the wheels are already in motion to make changes for the better. As to where NC no awareness to this magnitude has been brought to attention yet.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Ray J. T. said:

JP Losman said:

That very well may be, however like I previously stated that is a completely different argument. As to why those states are overlooked, I can only assume it is because the wheels are already in motion to make changes for the better. As to where NC no awareness to this magnitude has been brought to attention yet.
    Except companies had already pulled out, causing far more ongoing repercussions. And it's already in the courts, which is where it was headed, and where no concert cancellation will have any impact.

So really I think they did this for the right reasons, but it was the wrong choice. And Bruce and PJ did it in NC because of a bias against the south and their issues overall.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    JP Losman said:

Bruce is playing Italy later this year, which has plenty of bad gay laws. Why isn't he boycotting that show. Oh and of course, he is playing Chicago too. But if he decided poor people not having their civil rights abused, I'm sure PJ would decide that cause is worthy too.

Hey, this is the criticism is legit. They opened up the door by showing they believe in cancelling to promote change. If that is their best tactic, then it is messed up to not use it for other worthy causes. Is fighting for civil rights for those in Chicago not worth it? It is really messed up what is going on there with the criminal system.

Because that law was JUST put into place almost EXACTLY the time they were going to play there.

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    I hope PJ boycotts all NC shows until the injustice inflicted upon fans for PJ cancelling their last NC show is righted. Take a stand PJ. How in good conscience can you play when people from the first cancelled show are still angry about the last show you cancelled. What about fighting for treating people fairly even though the world is never fair?

edited May 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

Why don't YOU fight for civil rights in Chicago if you're so worked up about it?? Pick your own battles, and let PJ and Springsteen pick theirs. Geez.

I actually did during the 10 years that I lived there and lots of my friends there still do. Even my gay friends there think what is happening in Chicago is worse than the discrimination happening in NC.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    JP Losman said:

Embarrassing. These bigots will go down in history like George Wallace.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • I hope PJ boycotts all NC shows until the injustice inflicted upon fans for PJ cancelling their last NC show is righted. Take a stand PJ. How in good conscience can you play when people from the first cancelled show are still angry about the last show you cancelled. What about fighting for treating people fairly even though the world is never fair?

what?
    Just being a smartass
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

I hope PJ boycotts all NC shows until the injustice inflicted upon fans for PJ cancelling their last NC show is righted. Take a stand PJ. How in good conscience can you play when people from the first cancelled show are still angry about the last show you cancelled. What about fighting for treating people fairly even though the world is never fair?

this is awesome! lol
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited May 2016
    they got the SC show in in the nick of time. if that's an issue they still care about that is.

South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley signed a bill into law on Wednesday that makes it illegal for a woman to obtain an abortion after her pregnancy reaches 20 weeks, press secretary Chaney Adams said.

The law takes effect immediately. Abortions may be performed after 20 weeks only if the mother's life is in jeopardy, Adams said. The bill does not provide exceptions for rape or incest.
    Post edited by ComeToTX on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited May 2016

My takeaway from the Betterman speech and other references in the Toronto show is that the band thinks the south is made up of closed-minded people, the north is made up of open-minded people, and there's nothing in between. Toronto is diverse, Miami isn't (hahaha), and they were so glad to be home in the north and gone from the south because only in the south do whacked out zealots live. It's all in the subtext. I agree that the cab driver in the story was whacked. But I'm very disappointed with the full implications of what Ed stated. Yes, it was two minute well-intentioned speech from an activist rock star, but it came off to me as a slap to all southerners. I infer that one reason they won't go back to NC or anywhere in the south anytime soon is their generalized notions of bigoted southern people. That really disappoints me and makes me wonder about their seeming lack of wisdom about people.

This tour was weird. Great shows, but a weird under-tone.

I agree completely with you about his tone about not liking the South. Not surprised at his opinion (he can come off as pretty judgmental and generalizing at times), but surprised he was so open about it.

there you have it, folks; the reason why PJ rarely plays the south. and now they will most likely play it even less.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2016
    Its not just states. Look specifically at gay rights or transgender rights even. The Republicans axed their own bill because the bill had a clause that tried to protect the rights of transgender. So basically the entire country has certain elected officials that have done something that is similar to HB2...that is violating the civil rights of transgenders. Where is the outrage by PJ...or by their fans that think the boycott was so pious and praiseworthy?

"House Republicans unexpectedly sunk their own $37.4 billion water and energy spending bill on Thursday because it included a provision ensuring that people who work for government contractors can’t be fired for being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/house-republicans-lgbt-discrimination_us_574673e5e4b03ede4413e039

So congress is everyone...even if you live somewhere that didn't vote these guys that is no different than living in raleigh or charlotte or greensboro or asheville and being boycotted because of some representatives from rural areas.
    Post edited by JP Losman on
    JP Losman said:

PJ_Soul said:

I actually did during the 10 years that I lived there and lots of my friends there still do. Even my gay friends there think what is happening in Chicago is worse than the discrimination happening in NC.
    Okay great. So you keep fighting your battle, and PJ can fight their own.
    ComeToTX said:

they got the SC show in in the nick of time. if that's an issue they still care about that is.

South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley signed a bill into law on Wednesday that makes it illegal for a woman to obtain an abortion after her pregnancy reaches 20 weeks, press secretary Chaney Adams said.

The law takes effect immediately. Abortions may be performed after 20 weeks only if the mother's life is in jeopardy, Adams said. The bill does not provide exceptions for rape or incest.

As someone who strongly supports women's right to get an abortion, I don't have a problem with a 20 week deadline otherwise. I think that is long enough for any woman to make a choice. But I do have an issue with the restriction for after the 20 week deadline. A rape victim or a victim of incest has a concept of time. They can get it done within 20 weeks I should think. So that part doesn't bug me so much. However, I think saying only if the mother's life is in jeopardy is too restrictive. What if the fetus has grave physical problems that it can survive the birth but its life will be horrible and full of pain and suffering??? I think there should be an option to end those pregnancies after 20 weeks, since doctors often can't detect profound fetal abnormalities by then.
    timeframe or not it's legislating what a woman can do with her body. it's bullshit. period.
    edited May 2016
    ComeToTX said:

timeframe or not it's legislating what a woman can do with her body. it's bullshit. period.

So you think that optional abortions should be legal right up until the woman goes into labour?? I'm pro-choice, but I think there is a reasonable line too. It's not usually the best option to be completely black and white about things.
    That's between a woman and her doctor. Not the legislators of South Carolina.

My takeaway from the Betterman speech and other references in the Toronto show is that the band thinks the south is made up of closed-minded people, the north is made up of open-minded people, and there's nothing in between. Toronto is diverse, Miami isn't (hahaha), and they were so glad to be home in the north and gone from the south because only in the south do whacked out zealots live. It's all in the subtext. I agree that the cab driver in the story was whacked. But I'm very disappointed with the full implications of what Ed stated. Yes, it was two minute well-intentioned speech from an activist rock star, but it came off to me as a slap to all southerners. I infer that one reason they won't go back to NC or anywhere in the south anytime soon is their generalized notions of bigoted southern people. That really disappoints me and makes me wonder about their seeming lack of wisdom about people.

This tour was weird. Great shows, but a weird under-tone.

I agree completely with you about his tone about not liking the South. Not surprised at his opinion (he can come off as pretty judgmental and generalizing at times), but surprised he was so open about it.

there you have it, folks; the reason why PJ rarely plays the south. and now they will most likely play it even less.
    I really hope that is not the case. One person, or incident does not speak for the rest of us that live in the south. Not that Miami has ever really been considered the south, but the truth of the matter is narrow minded people are everywhere on this planet, not just in the south. We travel quite frequently to catch the band (at least a couple times every year) but its really nice when they play in your backyard. last time they were in South Florida before this tour was 2008 that is an 8 year drought. Just hope I don't have to wait that long again to see them in my hometown. Especially down here in Miami where the culture is extremely diverse, and the minority of the population is that old southern mentality. We are primarily a Hispanic based community that loves Pearl jam.
    This is how you make a statement without screwing your fans...

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros took a stand against North Carolina's controversial HB2 at the band's concert Friday in Raleigh when they invited a married gay couple onstage to renew their vows in front of a sold-out North Carolina Museum of Art show.

During the band's performance of "Home," frontman Alex Ebert welcomed the couple – PETA Senior VP Dan Mathews and his husband, production designer Jack Ryan – onstage for the ceremony. The couple renewed their vows in front of 2,500 fans as Ebert told them to "express your love freely, whenever and wherever."

While artists like Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Ringo Starr, Nick Jonas and Demi Lovato, Maroon 5 and more have canceled gigs in North Carolina to protest the state's "bathroom bill," which impedes on the rights of the LGBT community, other acts like Animal Collective, Against Me!'s Laura Jane Grace and now Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros have used Tar Heel State performances to help combat the bill.

"HB2 was passed by an immoral minority – North Carolina has many thriving, creative, modern communities," Ebert said in a statement. "We were tempted to cancel the show, but decided at the last minute to rally the crowd instead by renewing the vows of our good friends onstage."

On Friday, the University of North Carolina announced that they would not enforce HB2 on campus. "I have no intent to exercise my authority to promulgate any guidelines or regulations that require transgender students to use the restrooms consistent with their biological sex," University system President Margaret Spellings wrote in an affidavit.

Interesting that outside of Ringo, all the cancelled are stadium level acts, while everyone who played generally play the small to midsize theaters.

I wonder if stadium level shows make a bigger financial impact in some way or if they are just throwing their weight of popularity around to generate or maintain awareness.
    I would guess that smaller acts need the money a lot more than the bigger ones that can afford to not play a show.
  • EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827

Interesting that outside of Ringo, all the cancelled are stadium level acts, while everyone who played generally play the small to midsize theaters.

I wonder if stadium level shows make a bigger financial impact in some way or if they are just throwing their weight of popularity around to generate or maintain awareness.

What about Jimmy Buffett? He sure isn't a little to midsize theater show act. He played to sold out amphitheater shows, one in Charlotte and one in Raleigh. There is a shit load of parrot heads out there that travel to see his shows.
    I forgot about him.

But he also seems like the guy who values money over pretty much anything.
    ComeToTX said:

I would guess that smaller acts need the money a lot more than the bigger ones that can afford to not play a show.

Yea that is part of it for sure.