Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,912
edited May 2016 in The Porch
Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement
April 18, 2016

PEARL JAM STATEMENT

It is with deep consideration and much regret that we must cancel the Raleigh show in North Carolina on April 20th.

This will be upsetting to those who have tickets and you can be assured that we are equally frustrated by the situation.

The HB2 law that was recently passed is a despicable piece of legislation that encourages discrimination against an entire group of American citizens. The practical implications are expansive and its negative impact upon basic human rights is profound. We want America to be a place where no one can be turned away from a business because of who they love or fired from their job for who they are.

It is for this reason that we must take a stand against prejudice, along with other artists and businesses, and join those in North Carolina who are working to oppose HB2 and repair what is currently unacceptable.

We have communicated with local groups and will be providing them with funds to help facilitate progress on this issue.

In the meantime we will be watching with hope and waiting in line for a time when we can return.

Perhaps even celebrate.

With immense gratitude for your understanding,

Pearl Jam

What is HB2?

North Carolina’s HB2 legislation targets the basic rights of transgender people and strips many nondiscrimination protections from the state’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community. In addition to harming LGBT North Carolinians, the law limits the ability of municipalities to provide living wages above what the state provides, closes the door on state courts as a recourse for employment nondiscrimination claims, and imposes the values of Raleigh lawmakers on local elected officials and the people they serve.

What Needs To Be Done:

Please join us in signing this petition to repeal HB2
http://equalitync.org/action/repeal_HB2/

N.C. Organizations We Are Supporting:

http://equalitync.org
http://www.naacpnc.org
http://www.lgbtcenterofraleigh.com
http://www.qords.org

Ticket Refunds:

Provided at point of purchase

For fans that purchased Ten Club tickets to the Raleigh show, your cards will automatically be refunded for the full ticket price in USD this week.
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Wow.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I second that.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    So whack
  • zmanzman Posts: 502
    this hurts more fans than it does help anyone else
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,139
    Awesome!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    While it sucks for fans, it does bring attention to the issue. I watched an interview w/ the governor yesterday morning on MTP and the guy is a smug, despicable piece of shit who is completely detached from reality. $$$ is the only way to get his attention.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • whitepantswhitepants Posts: 718
    I understand brothers. Peace.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • HoccapukHoccapuk Posts: 498
    edited April 2016
    I understand what they're doing and why but as it's been mentioned already you're hurting the fans and those who work the shows...totally bummed...and why 2 days before the show when this has been in the works for weeks?

Why not play and use the platform you have?
    Post edited by Hoccapuk on
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    Bring on the debates on the boards!
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,352
    Wow!
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • cvkcvk Denver, CO and Alki (Seattle, WA) Posts: 5
    It stinks but it had to be done.
  • zevilonezevilone Posts: 339
    Columbia tix are ridiculously cheap right now on stubhub for those who need to change plans quickly
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919
    edited April 2016
    Fans shouldn't be punished for this. Play the show and turn into into a manifestation, donate money to the cause, invite people to talk about it on stage, release an EP of songs from the show with proceeds going to the cause or whatever.

I think this is the wrong thing to do - especially for PJ who knows they have a fanbase who travels (far) to see them.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Don't have an opinion - don't know how to feel, indifferent. Feel bad for traveling fans.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,818
    Wow. Good for you pj. After they revoke the law please go back and play twice as long.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    Ouch!
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,047
    The show posters and merch should be auctioned off to help what the band believes in
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Very disappointed. Lost a few hundred on the flight.

Not going to get mad... although I want to

Fans shouldn't be punished for this. Play the show and turn into into a manifestation, donate money to the cause or whatever.

I think this is the wrong thing to do - especially for PJ who knows they have a fanbase who travels (far) to see them.

Think of how much more wrong HB2 is. The touring base will get over this in the long term.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    While I can understand the reasoning and applaud PJ as well as many other bands and businesses for taking a stand against this stupid law, taking this kind of action really does hurt the fans. Especially those who have spent countless dollars on airfare and hotels.

But the main point is this is such a dumb law and I applaud all those who are standing up to it.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Ok. Now anger is setting in
  • athenssmileathenssmile Posts: 147
    edited April 2016
    That is great that Pearl Jam will refund my tickets, but I have lost $125 for my hotel room that I can't get refunded because I went through priceline.

well, fuckers, he still stands
  • WashedWashed Posts: 736
    I'm devastated but respect your decision...gotta do what you believe is right. However, I'm holding onto my Raleigh ticket and when we finally overturn this bullshit, hate-fueled law...it's on.
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    Sorry for those who had tickets and plans to attend. Think it may have been a bigger platform for them to go and spend significant time addressing their beliefs so that the fans with travel arrangements didn't get hosed 2 days prior to the show. Understand that this is what they felt they needed to do. Perhaps they could have arranged weeks ago to play somewhere within driving distance of Raleigh or something like that?
    (And still have talked shit on the govt of NC and had a better platform than to do what others have done and cancel.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    While I understand, they should have announced earlier.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,867
    I just...wow. I fully respect and understand the decision, but this could have been done a week ago.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,030
    Thanks for the last minute notice! Why couldn't they've announced this sooner?
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919

Fans shouldn't be punished for this. Play the show and turn into into a manifestation, donate money to the cause or whatever.

Think of how much more wrong HB2 is. The touring base will get over this in the long term.

Just because the HB2 is a shitty law, doesn't mean cancelling is the only – or the best method.

They are using their fans as ammunition.

And so close to the show – just like Bruce. Why didn't they cancel it earlier when he did it if they want to follow suit? Disrespectful to the fans – and I believe they could have protested and still played the concert.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    P

That is great that Pearl Jam will refund my tickets, but I have lost $125 for my hotel room that I can't get refunded because I went through priceline.

Perhaps your hotel can offer you a redeemable credit for the future. Surely if you contact them, they will know about this news and perhaps consider something?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • JS188455JS188455 Posts: 107
    Good thing I flew in on Saturday...
    I understand the cancellation but am angry they did the same as Bruce and waited very last minute to cancel.