Options

Tomas Young's War book

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,827
    Today in NYC!
  • Options
    @PearlJam: Eddie Vedder will join author @MarkIanWilk today at the 'Tomas Young's War' NYC book reading. See you there! https://t.co/CKxEIx4lIR

• Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    demetrios said:

@PearlJam: Eddie Vedder will join author @MarkIanWilk today at the 'Tomas Young's War' NYC book reading. See you there! https://t.co/CKxEIx4lIR

awesome! I knew it! hoping to go to the philly one tomorrow
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,058
    Halfway through the book. Man it really puts things in perspective. Everyone should read this and then think about the next time they want their country to go to war.
  • Options
    Lucky folks in NYC this afternoon getting to see Ed.
  • Options
    @HousingWorksBks: "Being anti-war is not being anti-soldier." - Eddie Vedder @haymarketbooks #tomasyoungswar https://t.co/xrtPb3OPby

• Options
    danlee1095danlee1095 Posts: 990
    Well that was amazing. Something I was not sure would ever happen happened. I met the lead singer of my favorite band and what felt even more significant as it was happening, I witnessed a very impassioned (and informative) talk from Ed, Phil Donohue and the author, Mark Wilkerson. There was also an audience Q&A and amazingly (got to ask a question!), we were able to meet the panel and they all signed our books. Talk about a jolt of energy after the post-MSG depression and the prospects of a PJ-less couple of months (well, until August at least...). Thank you to this message board for posting it! I only saw it at 1:55 pm and instinctively just ran to the subway, got there in 15 mins, got a seat easily and a signed book! Dreary Wednesday just became the best day ever.
    9/8/98 (NJ), 9/10/98 (NY), 8/23/00 (NY), 8/24/00 (NY), 8/25/00 (NY), 4/30/03 (NY), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 5/12/06 (NY), 6/1/06 (NJ), 6/3/06 (NJ), 8/5/07 (IL), 6/22/08 (DC), 6/24/08 (NY), 6/25/08 (NY), 7/1/08 (NY), 10/4/09 (TX ), 10/30/09 (PA), 5/20/10 (NY), 5/21/10 (NY), 9/3/11 (WI), 9/4/11 (WI), 7/19/13 (IL), 10/18/13 (NY), 10/19/13 (NY), 10/3/14 (MO), 9/23/15 (NY), 9/26/15 (NY), 5/1/16 (NY), 5/2/16 (NY), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 4/7/17 (NY), 6/18/18 (UK), 8/20/18 (IL), 9/2/18 (MA), 9/4/18 (MA), 9/18/21 (NJ), 9/26/21 (CA), 10/1/21 (CA), 10/2/21 (CA), 9/10/22 (NY), 9/11/22 (NY), 9/14/22 (NJ), 9/16/22 (TN), 9/22/22 (CO), 8/31/23 (MN), 9/2/23 (MN), 9/5/23 (IL), 9/7/23 (IL)
  • Options
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

Well that was amazing. Something I was not sure would ever happen happened. I met the lead singer of my favorite band and what felt even more significant as it was happening, I witnessed a very impassioned (and informative) talk from Ed, Phil Donohue and the author, Mark Wilkerson. There was also an audience Q&A and amazingly (got to ask a question!), we were able to meet the panel and they all signed our books. Talk about a jolt of energy after the post-MSG depression and the prospects of a PJ-less couple of months (well, until August at least...). Thank you to this message board for posting it! I only saw it at 1:55 pm and instinctively just ran to the subway, got there in 15 mins, got a seat easily and a signed book! Dreary Wednesday just became the best day ever.

Awesome!!!
  • Options

Awesome! :)
  • Options
    this!
    "Being anti-war is not being anti-soldier." - Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,782

That's amazing! I saw the tweet earlier and considered doing the same for about 45sec. Then I remembered I'm working and have to pick up the kiddos. Happy you made it though!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Also just got back from going to this. Realized it was happening and jumped on the train and headed over. Very cool event got my book signed by Ed, Phil and the author. Spoke to them all briefly also. Pretty emotianal talk espcially with Tomas's mother being there. Ed was definitely fired up on the topics.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    @aaakkmm: Eddie Vedder @pearljam came 4 "Thomas Young's War" @MarkIanWilk w P Donahue @HousingWorksBks powerful/moving event https://t.co/FyUPFx6Cpm

• Options
    @Letkemann: .@PearlJam's Eddie Vedder signed my copy of Tomas Young's War at the important book's NYC event! Thanks again, EV! https://t.co/f8p4R7nkvL

• Options
    bump for philly.
    unfortunately I can not make the trek across the bridge today for this event
  • Options

Phil Donahue + the author, Mark Wilkerson + Eddie Vedder shared stories about a late friend & Iraq War vet, Tomas Young, at Housing Works Bookstore Cafe, NY (5/4/2016).

"Tomas Young's War" book tour welcomed guests to speak about Tomas' life as a paralyzed Iraq War veteran who spent his last ten years battling heroically with his injuries, while courageously speaking against America's wars + VA health systems.

"If people don't pay attention to this, it will happen over and
    over again." -- Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    Bump!
  • Options
    https://pearljam.com/acts/news/tomas-youngs-war-kentucky-speaking-tour

If you’re a lucky citizen of Kentucky, you have two opportunities to hear Pearl Jam Twenty co-author Mark Wilkerson read from his latest book, Tomas Young’s War. Tomas Young was an Iraq war veteran turned anti-war activist and the inspiration behind Eddie Vedder's track "No More", featured in the documentary Body of War.

"I consider myself extremely fortunate to have known Tomas Young. I'm grateful that this powerful book of Mark Wilkerson's will allow readers to experience the strength, humor, and wisdom that this strong-willed and courageous man maintained til the very end. I miss him intensely,” said Eddie Vedder.

Hear Mark Wilkerson read his powerful tribute to Tomas's harrowing, yet heroic life:
    Sat 11/ 5 @ 2pm - Kentucky Book Fair, Frankfort Convention Ctr
    Thur 11/10 @ 7pm - Carmichael's Bookstore, Louisville

For more info on Tomas Young’s War: http://www.haymarketbooks.org/pb/Tomas-Youngs-War
  • Options
    i don't read a lot of books but i read this one. God Bless you ev et all who helped this hero in whatever way they could.
  • Options
    Brendan James - Hero's Song (Live)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSI6EhN-l44
  • Options
    http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-long-road-home-photos-nat-geo-iraq-war-drama/

The Long Road Home: Photos Released for Nat Geo’s Iraq War Drama

Noel Fisher (“Shameless“) portrays Pfc. Tomas Young, the heroic 24-year-old soldier and later peace activist who is severely wounded in this battle. And Jeremy Sisto (“Suburgatory,” “Law & Order,” “Six Feet Under“) plays Staff Sgt. Robert Miltenberger, a career soldier on the cusp of retirement who has been stop-lossed for this deployment.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,849
    Book was a great read, everyone who should give this book a shot to get the history and story of Young.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?