Options

North Carolina passes bill blocking LGBT protections

Comments

• Options
    rgambs said:

I saw some memes going around that said more republican senators have been arrested for sexual misconduct in public bathrooms than LGBT people have. Pretty funny, but not likely very true.

So....
  • Options
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,625

to not approve of or disagree or even dislike anything does not mean fear, hate or ignorance and because someone is trying stop gay rights in their area is no different than the people who try and remove all signs of God from money, federal and state buildings but we close our eyes to the fact that doing either of these things we hurt people, so many on here are perfectly fine with removing my wishes or opinion as Christian, but tell the LGBT people that you wont bake them a cake or marry them and the same people blow a gasket and describe you as afraid, bigoted, hateful or ignorant
    so really tell me who's right or wrong ?

Godfather.

This is quite the scramble post, but since you referenced the case in Oregon, I'll chime in. Regarding the bakers refusing to bake a cake for a lesbian wedding, that originates from the fact that sexual orientation is a protected class in Oregon. That means if you are a business open to the public, you can't refuse service to one of the protected groups based on their group status. It would be that same if they refused to bake cakes for a interracial wedding. It doesn't matter where their beliefs come from, whether it's religion or what they grandma told them. It's completely from a place of ignorance, and just because someone misinterprets the Bible doesn't mean they have some leg to stand on for "religious freedom". Churches and private schools are still allowed to discriminate based on sexual orientation because they are private. So a pastor will not be forced to do gay weddings, despite what you may have read on your kooky web pages.

And removing references to God related to government entities is about separation of church and state, which everyone of any religion, or even if you're not religious, should support. It allow for a person's religion to exist freely.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    There's that big government that republicans hate so much! :unamused:
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

Also...how is this not big government? Regulating business is wrong but regulating people's lives is A-OK?

Do as they say, not as they do.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

This is why you suck it up and vote for Hilary.

Conservative principles and policies are hurtful BY DESIGN.

Yes, vote for someone who flip flopped on the issue to appeal to her base instead of Bernie.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Stopped reading at liberal logic, pjfan. I don't speak Walmart.

Con logic: Bash big government and preach love for constitution unless it goes against your anti gay marriage views. Treat it like a cafeteria and pick or leave stuff. Derp!
  • Options

rgambs said:

Yes, vote for someone who flip flopped on the issue to appeal to her base instead of Bernie.
    What terrible political advice. Such a sad state that you guys are in that you have to request that someone suck it up and vote for this person. Kind of sounds like playing with the voters I can see why Hilary supporters think this way.
    Suck it up and vote for Hilary - priceless.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

I voted for Bernie once already, if he gets the nomination I will be thrilled to vote for him again, but I won't throw my vote in the trash and write him in, leaving the LGBT and many other communities hung out to dry. I will vote for the only candidate that has a real chance of protecting the hard fought gains of the last few decades.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    I think businesses should have the right to refuse service, and if they are dumb enough to refuse based on color, religious (aka cult) beliefs or sexual preference, then the consumers can speak louder by not giving them money.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

I voted for Bernie once already, if he gets the nomination I will be thrilled to vote for him again, but I won't throw my vote in the trash and write him in, leaving the LGBT and many other communities hung out to dry. I will vote for the only candidate that has a real chance of protecting the hard fought gains of the last few decades.
    i agree. i voted sanders. even if he loses hillary will protect the rights of all people. she will appoint a liberal justice to the supreme court and in a few years this law will be ruled unconstitutional and will be struck down.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    edited March 2016

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    North Carolina's "bathroom bill" just cost the state 400 future jobs.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/05/technology/paypal-north-carolina-lgbt/index.html
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Mississippi governor signed ...

more hate ... more discrimination ... welcome to the US where freedom and liberty is supposedly the cornerstone for their war in foreign lands ...
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    For the few people on AMT that actually go to PJ shows and are going to the show in Raleigh......if at all possible please don't spend any money in north carolina. If you are going to spend money do it at a LGBTQ friendly business.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I feel like Jesse Helms is alive and well.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    I will be going to the Raleigh show and since I live in NC, it is impossible for me not to spend $ here, but I plan on taking an Anti-McCrory sign to the show and see if Ed has any opinions on this law. It's gonna be early retirement party for our Governor.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    TL170678 said:

I think businesses should have the right to refuse service, and if they are dumb enough to refuse based on color, religious (aka cult) beliefs or sexual preference, then the consumers can speak louder by not giving them money.

I somewhat agree, but then again, these businesses often have some support of government.....they need permits, etc. And if their business is going to violate human rights of individuals, is the government required to do business with them? I don't think so.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

TL170678 said:

I somewhat agree, but then again, these businesses often have some support of government.....they need permits, etc. And if their business is going to violate human rights of individuals, is the government required to do business with them? I don't think so.

And what if a town only has one baker or Dr? Sometimes there's no competition. What if all business owners git together to get rid of x type of people. Segregation could easily happen.

But it boils down to ignorance and discrimination so serve public?, serve all the public.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

For the few people on AMT that actually go to PJ shows and are going to the show in Raleigh......if at all possible please don't spend any money in north carolina. If you are going to spend money do it at a LGBTQ friendly business.
    Thanks

I will be all over the mountains around Asheville, but I won't feel bad spending money there, as it is a vibrant progressive community that is practically an oasis of sense in a sea of confederate flag waving bible thumpers.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    rgambs said:

Thanks

I will be all over the mountains around Asheville, but I won't feel bad spending money there, as it is a vibrant progressive community that is practically an oasis of sense in a sea of confederate flag waving bible thumpers.
    Not to mention, if you are in Asheville and don't buy wicked weed, burial, Greenman etc beers than you are just a moron!!!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Thanks

Thanks, man.
    We appreciate it. The community activists here is going door to door at local business and will be compiling a list of LGBT friendly businesses. So hopefully folks will have something to reference when they visit. We are already seeing boycotts of businesses that supported this law. EVERYONE is welcome here despite what the bums in the State House are saying with this BS law.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,314
    Bruce just canceled his show for this Sunday in Charlotte. Good for him. Now PJ has to step up to the plate, too.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options

Bruce just canceled his show for this Sunday in Charlotte. Good for him. Now PJ has to step up to the plate, too.

If they are gonna do it. do it today. Bruce used really bad timing on this.
    i don't have tix for the Bruce show but just think this could've been done weeks ago.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    rgambs said:

I saw some memes going around that said more republican senators have been arrested for sexual misconduct in public bathrooms than LGBT people have. Pretty funny, but not likely very true.

That's funny, and not hard to believe, true or not, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Good for Bruce. Punish those bigot Springsteen fans! That will teach those liberals!
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Should PJ cancel too? Who has tix?

Who would this be punishing? You think PJ or Bruce canceling a concert means jack squat to a Billy Ray fan?
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Jason P said:

Should PJ cancel too? Who has tix?

Who would this be punishing? You think PJ or Bruce canceling a concert means jack squat to a Billy Ray fan?

It will punish local businesses that count on the revenue from visitors and fans--hotels, restaurants, gas stations, cabs. That's the only immediate impact I see. Along with the state being a national laughingstock. I don't like it though, canceling at the last minute hurts the fans. If I were traveling to the show I'd be pissed.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited April 2016

Good on Bruce!!
    Post edited by Free on