North Carolina passes bill blocking LGBT protections

lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
As a resident of this state, I am embarrassed by what the Republicans have done since they have been in office. People need to speak out on this injustice.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/03/23/north-carolina-passes-bill-blocking-lgbt-protections/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michelangelo-signorile/how-north-carolina-just-passed-anti-lgbt_b_9538470.html

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I will never understand why people cannot let their beliefs be their own, without infringing on others.
    Imagine if a group of people who didn't like strawberry ice cream tried to keep all of us who do like it from obtaining it. It's just as ignorant and silly a concept as this.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I will never understand why people cannot let their beliefs be their own, without infringing on others.
    Imagine if a group of people who didn't like strawberry ice cream tried to keep all of us who do like it from obtaining it. It's just as ignorant and silly a concept as this.

Yup. I don't get it either.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Fear, hate, and ignorance
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    It's insane to me that laws like this are still being passed. We've had gay marriage here for twelve years now and any straight person who tells you it has impacted their life in any negative way is a liar. Sexuality is absolute live-and-let-live territory. Get out of people's lives and put that energy towards trying to solve real problems. Craziness.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Also...how is this not big government? Regulating business is wrong but regulating people's lives is A-OK?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    You live in a mostly beautiful state, lolobugg. It's a shame so many of your legislators have such ugly notions about some of their fellow humans. I hope this gets overturned eventually.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    There will be financial consequences.

Disney To Boycott Georgia If Gov. Signs Anti-Gay Legislation

http://deadline.com/2016/03/disney-boycott-georgia-anti-gay-discrimination-bill-captain-america-civil-war-1201724974/
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Sorry, I now realize this is South Carolina....not Georgia.
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    well.....nobody will be suing the local bakery cause they didn't their same sex wedding cake.

Godfather.

not true.

Godfather.

• EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103

not true.

Godfather.

How so?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

not true.

Godfather.
    What other reason would there be to push your views onto someone else as if you're right and they're wrong? People aren't gay to spite those who don't believe in it; it's just who they are.
    "No culture has a monopoly on beauty or value, just as no religion has a monopoly on the truth."
    -Voltaire
    to not approve of or disagree or even dislike anything does not mean fear, hate or ignorance and because someone is trying stop gay rights in their area is no different than the people who try and remove all signs of God from money, federal and state buildings but we close our eyes to the fact that doing either of these things we hurt people, so many on here are perfectly fine with removing my wishes or opinion as Christian, but tell the LGBT people that you wont bake them a cake or marry them and the same people blow a gasket and describe you as afraid, bigoted, hateful or ignorant
    so really tell me who's right or wrong ?

Godfather.
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,606
    Hopefully Pearl Jam will donate the $2 or $3 from the Raleigh show to a local LGBT group. Like it or not there is often an impact on local and state economies from things like this, and these types of decisions can lead to bands like Pearl Jam, or groups looking for a place to hold a convention or gathering of any sort, to look for other states.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    good point. I hope Ed does say something about it.
    one of the reasons I believe that they didn't play SC for so many years was because of the confederate flag issue. as much as I would hate for them to cancel or not come back, I understand you have to hit these bastards where it hurts-- in their wallet and tax revenues.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

not true.

Godfather.
    What other reason would there be to push your views onto someone else as if you're right and they're wrong? People aren't gay to spite those who don't believe in it; it's just who they are.
    "No culture has a monopoly on beauty or value, just as no religion has a monopoly on the truth."
    -Voltaire

sorry but I just don't care about gay rights one way or the other, if they win good ...so what, and if they don't...so what.

Godfather.

• callencallen Posts: 6,388

to not approve of or disagree or even dislike anything does not mean fear, hate or ignorance and because someone is trying stop gay rights in their area is no different than the people who try and remove all signs of God from money, federal and state buildings but we close our eyes to the fact that doing either of these things we hurt people, so many on here are perfectly fine with removing my wishes or opinion as Christian, but tell the LGBT people that you wont bake them a cake or marry them and the same people blow a gasket and describe you as afraid, bigoted, hateful or ignorant

Godfather.

In both cases having laws that discriminate gays and having god on ANY government thing is imposing religious beliefs on those that don't want it and needs to be abolished in our secular country per the constitution. As to this legislation people are concerned sexual predators would use protection laws as a cover to assault women and kids. Debate should be on if this is true.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258

not true.

Godfather.
    -Voltaire
    sorry but I just don't care about gay rights one way or the other, if they win good ...so what, and if they don't...so what.

Godfather.

Whoa you don't care about gay rights man that's about as low as you can get as a human that you feel people who are not like you don't deserve the same rights as you ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    This is why you suck it up and vote for Hilary.

Conservative principles and policies are hurtful BY DESIGN.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    edited March 2016
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/gay-rights-rally-set-after-lawmakers-overturn-charlotte-act/2016/03/24/63c4b934-f198-11e5-a2a3-d4e9697917d1_story.html

Businesses in NC are pushing back.
    and I will vote for Hillary over Trump or Cruz for sure.
    but until she is nominated... it's all Bernie.

and just to fuck us a little more they added in the minimum wage provision.
    Post edited by lolobugg on

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Fear, hate, and ignorance

not true.

Godfather.
    -Voltaire

Godfather.

A little more clarification please. Are you saying that this issue is of no concern to you because it does not affect your daily life or you just don't want to support them.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    well, it is north carolina and republicans run the show. is anybody actually surprised by this?

hate hate hate.

pretty successful platform they have there.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2016

not true.

Godfather.
    -Voltaire

Godfather.

The people that are not made in the image of god which they call faggots are not allowed to join their church or go to heaven. It's a disgraceful and inhumane way to think. They are not being condemned for what they do but what they are.
    It's obscene and it comes from a clutch of hysterical, sinister virgins who have already betrayed their charge in the children of their own church.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited March 2016

not true.

Godfather.
    -Voltaire

Godfather.

The people that are not made in the image of god which they call faggots are not allowed to join their church or go to heaven. It's a disgraceful and inhumane way to think. They are not being condemned for what they do but what they are.
    It's obscene and it comes from a clutch of hysterical, sinister virgins who have already betrayed their charge in the children of their own church.

I think the refusal of acceptance or understanding comes from the (mis?) perception of both who they are and how they live their lives.

Not getting your last statement though, if you're inclined to explain further.

*edit for the Mods - I was quoting PJFan but it seems this feature is fucked up again.
    Post edited by hedonist on
    hedonist said:

not true.

Godfather.
    -Voltaire

Godfather.

I think the refusal of acceptance or understanding comes from the (mis?) perception of both who they are and how they live their lives.

Not getting your last statement though, if you're inclined to explain further.

*edit for the Mods - I was quoting PJFan but it seems this feature is fucked up again.

It looks to me like a reference to the thousands of Catholic priests who condemn homosexuals to hellfire while they abstain from sex with adult women and molest little boys and girls instead.
    And I don't think it is about perception at all, what is there to perceive about a homosexual relationship that would cause refusal of acceptance and understanding?
    It is a simple, visceral dislike (a pretty common reaction to homosexuality) that they then rationalize with their crutch (religion) in the same way that racists and misogynist rationalize their disgusting attitudes.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937

Godfather.

Well you are horribly wrong for one. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • to not approve of or disagree or even dislike anything does not mean fear, hate or ignorance and because someone is trying stop gay rights in their area is no different than the people who try and remove all signs of God from money, federal and state buildings but we close our eyes to the fact that doing either of these things we hurt people, so many on here are perfectly fine with removing my wishes or opinion as Christian, but tell the LGBT people that you wont bake them a cake or marry them and the same people blow a gasket and describe you as afraid, bigoted, hateful or ignorant

Godfather.

Well you are horribly wrong for one. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
    Also, you choose to be a christian and choose to remain one. LGBT don't choose what they are.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Every single human on this Earth should be afforded the same human rights that you & I enjoy everyday !!!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I saw some memes going around that said more republican senators have been arrested for sexual misconduct in public bathrooms than LGBT people have. Pretty funny, but not likely very true.