rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Tom Cotton was on MSNBC this morning talking about how weak Obama has been toward ISIS and how there are so many restrictions on our military that they can't do their jobs.

Now it comes out that the US killed ISIS 2nd in command yesterday....Commando's stopped his car and attempted to capture him but ended up killing him.

Weak?

Typical military asshole, my buddy says the same bullshit, when you press him on what restrictions tie their hands, each example is a simple application of Geneva Convention rules of engagement or an exercise of basic human rights and decency.
    I was pissed that the reporter didn't press him on specifics..."what situations are you referring to?" type questions.

I still can't get over how the GOP is somehow making Obama responsible for the attack in a foreign country.
    How could they not? They have backed themselves into a tea party nightmare for 7 years and reality hasn't been important to them for decades.
    This displays a lack of understanding on the "tea party". It is unrelated to foreign policy. Keep up the narrative though if it helps.
    I respect your contributions here because you back them up and you don't view the facts of a situation with scorn, two traits that conservatives largely lack on this forum. The conclusions you draw from the facts give me heartburn, but you start with the facts.
    In this case, you stepped out of your expertise in a big way.
    I consume tea party media, here in America, in the form of newsletters and talk radio, and I can tell you for certain they concern themselves very much with foreign policy, particularly radical Islamism.
    It is not my narrative, it is the reality. I doubt very much that you get any real tea party materials in Canada. You cite conservative media often, but that is intellectual conservatism.
    The tea party is the rubes on the ground like Tom Zawistowski.
    I get all the Tea Party media. The tea party began as a response to the spending of George W Bush and took off after the bailout, stimulus and the lead up to the passing of Obamacare. The movement was largely credited to the speech CNBC analyst Rick Santelli gave on the floor of the stock exchange

http://youtu.be/bEZB4taSEoA

This movement was, is and will always be about spending, debt etc. and has nothing to do with foreign policy other then on issues of trade. "Tea party" have vastly different views on foreign policy...this includes Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, and Marco Rubio...all tea party generation with very different views.
    Rick Santelli's speech lol
    That's some mighty strong koolaid!
    Koolaid? That's the history. Again...lack of understanding.
    Again, I live deep behind tea party lines and I have perspective on this group that your research will never provide.
    Rick Santelli's speech has a lot less to do with the tea party than the Koch brothers' money! That's a fact Jack.
    This is incoherent.
    Incoherent?
    I don't know what you mean, it makes perfect sense to me, the wording could be better, but it works...
    Explain this teaparty stuff because
    So? Hitler never PHYSICALLY killed those people but he was still a psycho. Your party's passive aggressive methods don't make you any better than rioters.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited March 2016

I think that if our governments, (and societies for that matter) aren't going to recognise that their policies and laws of exclusion are in part responsible for the rise of extremism then nothing will change. when our young become so disenfranchised that theyre able to be swayed into extreme ways of thinking and the abhorrent actions that come from that thinking something has to change. our leaders need to step up and lead instead of just continually condemning actions.

While a portion of this is true... it is also incomplete.

This post doesn't speak to the lack of engagement on the part of the 'disenfranchised' to assimilate. The shitheads in question bear some responsibility as well.

Take the Syrian refugees for example: they are likely going to be the happiest, most grateful people towards their countries and countrymen. What happens with the following generation if things don't become easy?

Older families have more money and an easier time. New families starting with nothing must build. Does this inequity create tension and anger in subsequent generations? Does it spark anti-western (establishment) attitudes? Does it germinate extremist sentiments?

I offer the following to try and provide my perspective: my parents are first generation Canadians after their parents left Ukraine to seek a better life. I never knew my grandfather- he died on the Saskatchewan farm working his ass off. They lived in a one bedroom farm house and the kids left home, with nothing in their pockets, for the city and opportunity. Most did okay- my dad worked his ass off and became successful enough to provide a good life for my sister and I who have benefitted greatly.

I've never heard any of my father's family complain about anything. In fact, it was about 15 years ago when we all learned that after my grandfather had died... when things were really tough... social services took the family's youngest child away.
    Thanks for sharing, I think you contribute with wise words on this subject.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    Annafalk said:

I think that if our governments, (and societies for that matter) aren't going to recognise that their policies and laws of exclusion are in part responsible for the rise of extremism then nothing will change. when our young become so disenfranchised that theyre able to be swayed into extreme ways of thinking and the abhorrent actions that come from that thinking something has to change. our leaders need to step up and lead instead of just continually condemning actions.

This post doesn't speak to the lack of engagement on the part of the 'disenfranchised' to assimilate. The shitheads in question bear some responsibility as well.

Take the Syrian refugees for example: they are likely going to be the happiest, most grateful people towards their countries and countrymen. What happens with the following generation if things don't become easy?

Older families have more money and an easier time. New families starting with nothing must build. Does this inequity create tension and anger in subsequent generations? Does it spark anti-western (establishment) attitudes? Does it germinate extremist sentiments?

I offer the following to try and provide my perspective: my parents are first generation Canadians after their parents left Ukraine to seek a better life. I never knew my grandfather- he died on the Saskatchewan farm working his ass off. They lived in a one bedroom farm house and the kids left home, with nothing in their pockets, for the city and opportunity. Most did okay- my dad worked his ass off and became successful enough to provide a good life for my sister and I who have benefitted greatly.

I've never heard any of my father's family complain about anything. In fact, it was about 15 years ago when we all learned that after my grandfather had died... when things were really tough... social services took the family's youngest child away.
    Thanks, Anna.

I feel like I've been blathering on, but I do feel a piece to this problem is understated. I've just been pointing it out.

It's gross all the way around. Just gross.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Annafalk said:

Thanks, Anna.

I feel like I've been blathering on, but I do feel a piece to this problem is understated. I've just been pointing it out.

With this a little. You are asking way too many vague questions pointed directly at no one.
    Where are you going with this? You don't always need to post a novel.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

With this a little. You are asking way too many vague questions pointed directly at no one.

This again with the hall monitor nonsense?

Lay down, Sally.

If someone is of the ridiculous "TLDR" school, fine. Too many words to take in, I get it's much for some to grasp and process. Others, like I, appreciate many of the well thought-out posts here, whether lengthy or not. May take an extra read on my part. Big deal.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,946
    TLDR
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Lay down, Sally.

If someone is of the ridiculous "TLDR" school, fine. Too many words to take in, I get it's much for some to grasp and process. Others, like I, appreciate many of the well thought-out posts here, whether lengthy or not. May take an extra read on my part. Big deal.
    Do you have an opinion on these questions that he asks? or not
    How do people explain the 'terrorist attacks nobody cares about'?
    Is the west at the root of the bloodlust in these attacks too?

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

hedonist said:

Lay down, Sally.

You know, maybe you should knock this shit off already, unless you're the official doc on this psych ward.

(sorry, Mods and fellow posters, but enough of this BS)
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

absolutely they bear responsibility for their actions. im not denying that. however,you cant just expect people, especially young impressionable people to find their way on their own. yes the overwhelming majority do and that's great. but theyre not the ones we are concerned about. its the minority who for whatever reason feel they dont belong. and who for this same reason are the most impressionable and easily manipulated. if someone is in their ear telling them stories that further alienate them then theyre gonna reach a place where they will be coerced into heinous acts.
    our world is becoming more unstable at an alarming rate. its a different world than the one our parents grew up in and their parents before them. heck its a different world to the one I grew up in. but no one seems, and by no one I mean our collective govts, even seems to entertain the idea that at the root of our societies something is wrong. there is always an underlying cause to bad behaviour and finding that underlying cause is the most beneficial way to start dealing with aberrant behaviour. we need to bring these young people back into society, not ostracise them further. afterall isn't it worth a more peaceable society that we do this? remember nothing happens in a vacuum.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

Annafalk said:

Thanks, Anna.

Well f**k my ozone. If this isn't the most ridiculous post of the century... I don't know what is.

In case you are completely obtuse... your posting style isn't exactly reputed as the most thought provoking or intelligently driven material one might hope to access on this forum. In fact, seeing as you're calling a spade a spade... I'll take the opportunity to do so myself: it's downright atrocious. It's somewhat (if not... then completely) childish and with no other intention other than to irritate people.

If this has been your intention... well good or you: mission accomplished! If this has not been your intention... you have the emotional intelligence of an amoeba.

My gut says it has been your intention so congratulations. I mean... what type of person fails to get long with Hedonist? Seriously? You have to try really hard to become combative with her.

* Hope this wasn't too long for you. Twitter offers more concise constructions of thought if you care to venture (don't be alarmed with the '0 followers'... just keep on keeping on... there's someone for everyone).
  • Options

Annafalk said:

Thanks, Anna.

Well f**k my ozone. If this isn't the most ridiculous post of the century... I don't know what is.

In case you are completely obtuse... your posting style isn't exactly reputed as the most thought provoking or intelligently driven material one might hope to access on this forum. In fact, seeing as you're calling a spade a spade... I'll take the opportunity to do so myself: it's downright atrocious. It's somewhat (if not... then completely) childish and with no other intention other than to irritate people.

If this has been your intention... well good or you: mission accomplished! If this has not been your intention... you have the emotional intelligence of an amoeba.

My gut says it has been your intention so congratulations. I mean... what type of person fails to get long with Hedonist? Seriously? You have to try really hard to become combative with her.

* Hope this wasn't too long for you. Twitter offers more concise constructions of thought if you care to venture (don't be alarmed with the '0 followers'... just keep on keeping on... there's someone for everyone).
    So give us a bone TB. Do you have any insight or do you want others to answer?
    Your questions
  • Options

Annafalk said:

Thanks, Anna.

Your questions
    As succinctly as I can:

The drums were beating, horns were blaring and fingers were pointing towards the US for the terrorist acts we are now getting accustomed to.

However, what has been neglected in this somewhat justified accusatory party is the simple fact that the groups responsible for these atrocities are somewhat indiscriminate: they hate everyone outside of their rigid belief system that they want for the world.

And they hate them so much they like to shoot them and blow them up. The US actions in the Middle East might have served as the catalyst for this violence, but the attitudes have always been there.
  • Options

:lol:
    Obliterate a way of thinking?! :lol:
    Good luck with that.
    Besides, isn't that what 'they' want to do?

How do you instill a mind that it is not all right to kill people that don't agree with you?
    Good question.
    Could start by not funding, arming, and training their leaders, I guess?
    Has to happen over time. Better living conditions result in better minds.
    How do we Instill in a mind that it is not ok to support war based on what your government mouth pieces tell you? Same thing on both sides.
    Yes good point.
    But throw the old religion shit behind a reason to kill then I'm sorry your credibility is zero.
    religion is being used as a motivating and divisive tool to get people to act in a manner they most likely wouldn't if they weren't manipulated into thinking they way they do. if you get someone vulnerable and you show empathy for their plight(real or constructed), whilst alienating them from their familial base, filling their heads with propaganda and then point out the 'evil' contributing to it all the while making it sound reasonable and just, youve already won. but then you get your target to think so illogically that theyre prepared to carry out the most horrendous actions. shouldn't we be stopping this from even happening instead of wringing our hands after the event? the vast majority of muslims live peaceable lives so to simply tag islam as a religion of violence and use that to explain away these acts of barbarity is both disingenuous and shallow... even if they claim to do it in the name of allah. the arsehole leaders of these alleged terrorists cells know there is nothing we can do about islam and that it preoccupies our thinking so why do we induldge them by being distracted by their supposed call to faith? we need to go past their 'islamic' preaching treating it as the smoke screen it is. islam is NOT the problem. criminal/terrorists are. so lets deal with them that way and stop being distracted by the islam/christianity line. lets not play their game.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

Annafalk said:

Thanks, Anna.

Your questions
    As succinctly as I can:

The drums were beating, horns were blaring and fingers were pointing towards the US for the terrorist acts we are now getting accustomed to.

However, what has been neglected in this somewhat justified accusatory party is the simple fact that the groups responsible for these atrocities are somewhat indiscriminate: they hate everyone outside of their rigid belief system that they want for the world.

And they hate them so much they like to shoot them and blow them up. The US actions in the Middle East might have served as the catalyst for this violence, but the attitudes have always been there.
    In short... we're a little f**ked.

What exactly is the answer? I don't know. There's no easy solution. How do you proceed to eradicate a belief system that hasn't exactly gone away like some said it might a few years back.

We're going to have to deal with a few more homemade bombs and some f**king idiots shooting people on a beach.

The one thing I do know is the answer is not widespread Muslim persecution. At a minimum... many people are unfairly profiled. At worse... it assists with recruitment.
  • Options

Annafalk said:

Thanks, Anna.

Your questions
    As succinctly as I can:

In short... we're a little f**ked.

What exactly is the answer? I don't know. There's no easy solution. How do you proceed to eradicate a belief system that hasn't exactly gone away like some said it might a few years back.

We're going to have to deal with a few more homemade bombs and some f**king idiots shooting people on a beach.

The one thing I do know is the answer is not widespread Muslim persecution. At a minimum... many people are unfairly profiled. At worse... it assists with recruitment.
    millions are unfairly profiled... seen one muslim you've seen them all. theyre all the same, right? *shakes head*

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited March 2016
    Fair enough Thirty and Cate

But you also must recognize the systemic hate that is taught starting at a very young age and is prevelant through out the Islamic world.And That is religious

The raw hatred of the West,Of Israel,of Jews,of gays of woman getting an education and driving,showing skin,talking to men,and other ridiculous subjugation etc,etc.

I'm sorry but these minds are corrupted from grade school by the authority figures who should be shaping the young minds.Granted not all,but many.And 1 is too many.

School girls in Africa at the hands of Boko,Text books teaching death to the evil Jews in Gaza and West Bank in pre school(how fucking sick is that).Imans preaching hate the west in Iran.Its every where.Hell failed assimilation and integration into foreign communities is rebutted and used for the lack of jobs.
    Sacrificing children's day letting them blow themselves up for some utopian twisted religious end game.Thats sick.Thats parents doing that.It bring honor to the family.WTF

If it takes a village,well this one is fucking dysfunctional.The values are all soiled with hate.I could not imagine poisoning a young mind with anything but love,wonder and joy.Hope and dreams.But planting the poision seed of hate has already started the decay for these kids coming up.Hearing the people they look up to blaming everything on Jews and the west ingrains the seed and its used as a righteous crutch and rally cry for the "why" they are disenfranchised.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    PJ fan,your mixing it up with Hedo??? What are you sniffing glue or using bath salts?
    She's like the nicest person on these boards.Dont go there!!

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Lay down, Sally.

You know, maybe you should knock this shit off already, unless you're the official doc on this psych ward.

(sorry, Mods and fellow posters, but enough of this BS)
    just ignore it.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Fair enough Thirty and Cate

But you also must recognize the systemic hate that is taught starting at a very young age and is prevelant through out the Islamic world.And That is religious

The raw hatred of the West,Of Israel,of Jews,of gays of woman getting an education and driving,showing skin,talking to men,and other ridiculous subjugation etc,etc.

I'm sorry but these minds are corrupted from grade school by the authority figures who should be shaping the young minds.Granted not all,but many.And 1 is too many.

School girls in Africa at the hands of Boko,Text books teaching death to the evil Jews in Gaza and West Bank in pre school(how fucking sick is that).Imans preaching hate the west in Iran.Its every where.Hell failed assimilation and integration into foreign communities is rebutted and used for the lack of jobs.
    Sacrificing children's day letting them blow themselves up for some utopian twisted religious end game.Thats sick.Thats parents doing that.It bring honor to the family.WTF

If it takes a village,well this one is fucking dysfunctional.The values are all soiled with hate.I could not imagine poisoning a young mind with anything but love,wonder and joy.Hope and dreams.But planting the poision seed of hate has already started the decay for these kids coming up.Hearing the people they look up to blaming everything on Jews and the west ingrains the seed and its used as a righteous crutch and rally cry for the "why" they are disenfranchised.

Hey... don't get me wrong.

I see that part of it too. It's f**king ridiculous. If I have never been clear on these boards... I'll be real clear right now: religion is a plague.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    BS44325 said:
    Great interview. Bernard-Henrri Levy's words beg the question- is civilization dying?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    brianlux said:

BS44325 said:
    Great interview. Bernard-Henrri Levy's words beg the question- is civilization dying?
    I hate to say it but it feels like it is. It is that feeling that gets me pretty animated on these boards.

Have a great rest of the weekend!
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Civilization is doing okay. We are progressing. Some of the tensions are created because of this progression. Facts and logic seriously question reality. Tough for many.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    JC29856 said:
    Where I'm from I am more likely to be the victim of terrorism from a white male than anything brown, brown person bear etc. Yesterday I didn't hit the mega millions jackpot nor was I a victim of white male terrorism, today I'll play power ball.
    my ignorant non white ideology not based on facts but silly myths