Options

MSG Camera Policy

danimal59danimal59 Rhode Island Posts: 65
Hello Everyone:

Here is the MSG Camera Policy:

Cameras
Video cameras, monopods, tripods, selfie sticks, audio recording devices and cameras with professional telephoto or zoom lenses are NOT permitted inside Madison Square Garden at any time. This policy will be strictly enforced. You may bring in non professional or disposable cameras. However, for some events, cameras of any type and/or flash photography may be completely prohibited. Any photos taken are for personal use only and may not be sold, licensed or distributed.

Here is the camera that I am purchasing: Nikon 3300D.

Although I don't think this is considered a 'professional camera', I am probably not going get through the door, right? :) I never had an SLR before so I have never tried to take one to a show.

Thanks,

Dan
2016.08.07 - Boston, MA Fenway Park
2016.05.02 - NYC, Madison Square Garden
2015.09.26 - NYC, Central Park, Global Citizen Festival
2014.10.17 - Detroit, MI, Joe Louis Arena
2010.05.17 - Boston, MA, TD Garden

Comments

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Probably not. Most venues don't allow cameras with removable lens without a photo pass.
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    I went to a Knicks game recently and brought my dslr in with a couple small lenses, OK'd by security. "Professional telephoto lens" usually refers to those monster lenses you see on NFL sidelines. But concerts are another story, and usually no slrs of any kind are allowed.

MSG security used to be really lax, in my opinion, and I still think they go easier than some other venues. But since some dude stabbed another guy at a Celtics game last year all NBA arenas installed airport-style metal detectors, and you pretty much have to empty pockets/open bags. I would not attempt it myself, not without a car/hotel room nearby, but I would not be surprised at all if somebody still managed to sneak a dslr into a concert at MSG.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    That should be okay. Professional often means detachable and able to be extended one foot.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,745
    danimal59 said:

Yeah I don't think you will get that piece of hardware into the show.

Would love to bring in one of these to the shows this Fall. A mini 4.6K cinema camera. *drools

• Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    I like watching all the YouTube videos just like everyone else but I don't see how you can enjoy the concert if you're spending your time worried about taking pictures/videos. I'll usually take a picture or two with my phone and maybe a quick video if something rare/crazy is happening but that is it. Plus I wouldn't wan to have to lug that around all day and risk it getting taken by security or broke.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    demetrios said:

danimal59 said:

Would love to bring in one of these to the shows this Fall. A mini 4.6K cinema camera. *drools

I know that people bring in the fz1000 into shows all the time. That is about the same as the 3300 above.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    mrussel1 said:

demetrios said:

danimal59 said:

I know that people bring in the fz1000 into shows all the time. That is about the same as the 3300 above.
    REALLY...
    with the matte box, pistol grip and follow focus???
    I can't imagine walking in to a show with a rig like that and getting thru security. :wink:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    I think you could get away with it at a club show, but I'm not sure about arenas. I would check before trying to bring it in, unless you will have a car or hotel room close by that you can just run back to to stash it.
  • Options
    Typically it's okay to have cameras with lenses that don't extend a foot. Look at all of MFSYNC72 footage on yt or our btn shows. That's a fz1000 that he's using.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Typically it's okay to have cameras with lenses that don't extend a foot. Look at all of MFSYNC72 footage on yt or our btn shows. That's a fz1000 that he's using.

My point is if there's doubt, no sense in debating it here, just check with the venue. In any case, this is 10c's camera policy:
    CAMERA POLICY FOR CONCERT ATTENDEES
    * Small, handheld cameras welcome.
    * No flash in the first 20 rows.
    * No detachable lenses.
    * No professional still or recording cameras.
    * No sticks.
    * No video cameras.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,745
    Can you imagine if Pearl Jam gave out 50 camcorders to fans to record their MSG shows this Spring? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awesome;_I_Fuckin'_Shot_That!
  • Options
    danimal59danimal59 Rhode Island Posts: 65
    demetrios said:

Can you imagine if Pearl Jam gave out 50 camcorders to fans to record their MSG shows this Spring? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awesome;_I_Fuckin'_Shot_That!

That would be incredible!
    2016.08.07 - Boston, MA Fenway Park
    2016.05.02 - NYC, Madison Square Garden
    2015.09.26 - NYC, Central Park, Global Citizen Festival
    2014.10.17 - Detroit, MI, Joe Louis Arena
    2010.05.17 - Boston, MA, TD Garden