Surprise PJ goodie bag from the monitor engineer's nonprofit crowdfunding campaign!

dogtowndogtown Posts: 118
edited March 2016 in The Porch
SoundGirls.Org, a nonprofit cofunded by Pearl Jam's long time monitor engineer, Karrie Keyes, is doing a crowdfunding campaign to raise money for a summer camp: "SoundGirls.Org Live Sound Camp for Girls is a one-week program for girls and boys aged 12-18 and all non-conforming genders who want to learn about live music production." There are some cool prizes for donating to this great cause: https://www.generosity.com/education-fundraising/soundgirls-org-live-sound-camp-for-girls

On March 29 they added another round of Pearl Jam surprise packages
Update: The second round are all taken. Nice work, guys! But they're still only a third of the way to the goal. Every donation helps!
Post edited by dogtown on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    $400 Pearl Jam Goodie Bag. Surprise Package may include: Poster, T-Shirts, Setlists, Guitar Picks
    edited March 2016
    2 out of 5 claimed
  • dogtowndogtown Posts: 118
    demetrios said:

2 out of 5 claimed

I hope whoever gets those will come back and post what's in them! What a great idea for a crowdfunding incentive.
    dogtown said:

demetrios said:

2 out of 5 claimed

I hope whoever gets those will come back and post what's in them! What a great idea for a crowdfunding incentive.
    Will do. :)
    Down to 2.
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,872
    great cause - very cool
    1 slot to go ..
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    Very cool, and good luck!

I had no idea this thread was for a charity, thought it was like an ac/dc off topic thread. May want to change the title to get more support.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• scott nowlandscott nowland Australia Posts: 247
    I will be cheering if the goodie bag comes out with heaps of good stuff for the people that brought in. Nearly signed up but with the low exchange rate for the australian dollar at the moment and the fact that there are probably more deserving causes out there just couldnt justify it.
    demetrios said:

Down to 2.

a5pj said:

Very cool, and good luck!

I had no idea this thread was for a charity, thought it was like an ac/dc off topic thread. May want to change the title to get more support.

Thanks for the suggestion!
  • JimminezJimminez Posts: 217
    I took the first one yesterday. Thanks @demetrios for posting it. Excellent cause in my opinion considering I have a 10 year old who loves to sing, but haven't been able to convert her to PJ :(
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2016 - 5/5, 5/8, 5/10, 5/12, 8/5, 8/7
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
    edited March 2016
    Jimminez said:

I took the first one yesterday. Thanks @demetrios for posting it. Excellent cause in my opinion considering I have a 10 year old who loves to sing, but haven't been able to convert her to PJ :(

No problemo! Give it time.
  • andyfarrimondandyfarrimond Posts: 1,957
    All gone now, I was tempted but couldn't afford it right now. Fingers crossed that the 5 donors get some awesome goodies.
    Bump! :)
    demetrios said:

Bump! :)

You're awesome! Thanks for keeping this thread alive. Every donation helps because they don't turn anyone away for lack of ability to pay, so fundraising is really important. People can also donate specific supplies to the camp: https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/2UFUUN5HBJ6OX/ref=cm_sw_su_w
    edited March 2016
    http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/soundgirls.org_launches_crowdsource_fundraising_drive_for_education/

SoundGirls.org Launches Crowdsource Fundraising Drive For Education

Funds will go to support the 2016 SoundGirls.org Live Sound Camp for Girls at several locations in the U.S.

Mar. 15, 2016, by PSW Staff

SoundGirls.org has launched a crowdsource effort to raise much-needed funds in support of pro audio and live sound education. (Go here to contribute.)

It’s another facet of the organization’s mission to inspire and empower the next generation of women by creating a supportive community as well as providing the tools, knowledge, and support to further their careers.

Specifically, the crowdsource funds will go to the 2016 SoundGirls.org Live Sound Camp for Girls, slated for Modesto and Nevada City, CA, with additional dates planned for St. Louis, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Ventura (CA) and Oakland if funding is available.

The camp curriculum has been designed by industry veterans and teaches the skills and technology to run live sound. It is presented in partnership with the Northern California Women’s Music Festival.

Go here http://www.prosoundweb.com/article//soundgirls.org_announce_upcoming_slate_of_educational_sessions/ and here http://www.prosoundweb.com/article//soundgirls.org_presenting_slate_of_tour_managing_foh_me_seminars_in_califor/ to read more about the camp as well as other educational efforts by SoundGirls.org, and also check out the video below.

The goal is to raise $15,000 over the next 60 days. Again, go here to contribute. https://www.generosity.com/education-fundraising/soundgirls-org-live-sound-camp-for-girls

edited March 2016
    soundgirls - We want to say a huge THANK YOU to those of you that have donated so far - we're almost at 20% funding in four days! Any donation is appreciated, and anything over our goal of $15,000 will go to additional camps and programming for next summer. Please share far and wide! #soundgirls #crowdfunding #education #summercamp

Thanks for the update, demetrios! Now 20% of the way there but they still need donations to help kids get to the summer camps. This is such a cool opportunity to help pass on a love of music to the next generation, please donate! https://www.generosity.com/education-fundraising/soundgirls-org-live-sound-camp-for-girls
    About a fifth of the way there! Can we add to the total?

soundgirls A #SMAART class and license for V8 is one of the rewards for our Generosity campaign to fund our #livesound summer camps, as well as mics, amps, concert tickets, and more!
    http://www.modbee.com/entertainment/article67647402.html

In brief: SoundGirls engineering workshop returns

Sound engineer Karrie Keyes hosts the Live Sound Workshop in Modesto in June in conjunction with the California Women’s Music Festival. SoundGirls

Pearl Jam touring veteran Karrie Keyes is returning this summer to host sound engineering workshops for girls in Modesto.

The Live Sound Workshop, done in conjunction with Keyes’ SoundGirls.org organization and the Modesto-based California Women’s Music Festival (formerly called the Northern California Women’s Music Festival), will be held Monday-Friday, June 20-24. Now in its second year, the event will also include two separate evening workshops. Keyes has worked extensively for bands such as Pearl Jam and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and will be going on tour as monitor with Pearl Jam again soon.

Live Sound for Girls is a five-day camp for girls ages 12 to 18 who want to learn about live music production. The camp curriculum was designed by industry veterans and teaches the skills and technology to run live sound. Early bird registration (before April 30) is $175; cost will be $200 after. Financial assistance is available.

The evening workshops will be Tour Managing and FOH Seminar on Tuesday, June 21, and Introduction to Live Sound Workshop on Wednesday, June 22. The former is an all-ages workshop about monitor engineering and tour managing led by audio engineer/tour manager Jessica Berg, who has worked with Quadron, Dr. John and Waka Flocka Flame. Tickets are $45. The latter is for those ages 16 and up about the basics of running sound. Tickets are also $45. The camp and workshops will be held at the Rock n Roll Warehouse, 501 Bitritto Way, in Modesto.

For more information or to register visit www.soundgirls.org.
    Carnegie Center photo workshop

Turlock’s Carnegie Arts Center is presenting a weekend photo workshop Saturday-Sunday, April 9-10.

The event, called Ranching In, will be led by Denver-based photographer Allen Birnbach. Participants will have the opportunity to photograph activities at two working ranches in the Central Valley, including cattle drives, branding and horseshoeing. A collection of Birnbach’s western ranch photography, called “A Handul of Dust,” is on display at the Carnegie Center through Sunday, April 24. Following the paid workshop he will also give a free public lecture on his body of work starting at 7 p.m. Sunday, April 10, at the center.

The weekend workshop will include on-location photography sessions, tips on photo processing, feedback and critique and a barbecue dinner on the ranch. The workshop fee is $1,095 (Carnegie Arts Center members receive a 10 percent discount). A portion of the workshop fee will be donated to Sierra Foothill Conservancy. Call 209-632-5761 or visit www.carnegieartsturlock.org.
    MJC Author Series

The Modesto Junior College Visiting Author Series welcomes a reading by Central Valley writer Gary Soto on Tuesday, April 5.

Soto, who was raised in Fresno, is the author of 32 books including 11 poetry collections. In 1995 he was a finalist for both the Los Angeles Times Book Award and the National Book Award. He has been awarded by the Hispanic Heritage Foundation, National Education Association and the PEN Center West Book Award. His short-story collection “Petty Crimes” is about Mexican American children on the brink of adolescence who are trying to find their place in a world ruled by gangs and violence.

His reading will begin at 6:30 p.m. in Forum 110 on the MJC East Campus. The event is free and open to the public.
    Pearl Jam Goodie Bag Round 2

Bump!
    4 left!
  • OceanInDisguise13OceanInDisguise13 Behind the sun Posts: 919
    edited March 2016
    This is such an awesome cause. I would have never known about it if not for this post. Many thanks. Happy to support and looking forward to the surprise package! :) XO
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
    1 left!
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Looks like a cool organization