Options

RIP Nancy Reagan

Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
A unique lady
Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    RIP.
  • Options
    Kind of sad...the first "First Lady" that I remember paying much attention to as I started becoming aware of politics as a child.

I felt so bad for her when watching Reagan's funeral.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    RIP , classy 1st lady ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Kind of sad...the first "First Lady" that I remember paying much attention to as I started becoming aware of politics as a child.

I felt so bad for her when watching Reagan's funeral.

Same here, Gern. Especially the last part of your post.

• Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    She really was a swell lady... Tip of the cap, Nancy...
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Going to elementary school in the 80s i knew nothing about politics and parties just that she seemed like a really nice grandmother
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    You were the bomb in Land of Confusion by Genesis, yo!

On a serious note, though, love or hate her, Laura, Hillary and Michelle...at least they lifted their finger. Can't say the same for Kartrashian in training, Melenia.

RIP
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    War on drugs can RIP too.

Nancy Reagan was all class.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Just say no
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    The next Nancy Reagan is Melania Trump
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    not a fan.

"just say no" about the stupidest thing ever.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I'll agree that the war on drugs thing was BS, but I respected the love those two shared for as long as they did. Struck me as sincere, genuine, something one doesn't see too often nowadays.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    RIP to a very classy lady.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    JC29856 said:

The next Nancy Reagan is Melania Trump

Off course after all she's married to a total classy guy ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,681
    This really puts things into perspective. I'm not going to pretend to be terribly saddened by Mrs. Reagan's passing (nor am I by any means happy about it). And despite not being at a Reaganite fan and finding Nancy's "just say no" campaign very naive and misguided at best, at least she would have had the sense to find Trump the despicable choice for Republican candidacy that he is. She definitely had more class than Trump will ever even pretend to have.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Wobbie said:

not a fan.

How someone could think educating our children to "just say no" is the "stupidest thing ever" boggles the mind. We need far more of this and far less imprisonment.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited March 2016
    BS44325 said:

Wobbie said:

not a fan.

How someone could think educating our children to "just say no" is the "stupidest thing ever" boggles the mind. We need far more of this and far less imprisonment.
    If only it was a simple (albeit ridiculously naive and unrealistic) educational message. Unfortunately the Reagan era drug war was accompanied by skyrocketing incarceration rates, institutionalized racism and government involvement in the drug trade ( to fund reagan's wars), and the rise of zero-credibility practise of using cops to educate kids on health issues (DARE). Old mother Reagan was the face of this disaster, and the main proponent of the hysteria that allowed all of this to happen. I have a hard time seeing her campaign as educational benevolence, as do many others apparently.
  • Options

BS44325 said:

Wobbie said:

not a fan.

If only it was a simple (albeit ridiculously naive and unrealistic) educational message. Unfortunately the Reagan era drug war was accompanied by skyrocketing incarceration rates, institutionalized racism and government involvement in the drug trade ( to fund reagan's wars), and the rise of zero-credibility practise of using cops to educate kids on health issues (DARE). Old mother Reagan was the face of this disaster, and the main proponent of the hysteria that allowed all of this to happen. I have a hard time seeing her campaign as educational benevolence, as do many others apparently.
    Yeah, I totally agree.

And I'm not suggesting we give kids free needles and heroin with their lunch but, look, I worked with upper elementary, middle school and high school kids during the height of the DARE program and most kids thought it was a big joke. They just laughed about it and thought it was totally stupid, which is mostly true. That program surely did more harm than good. Instead of DARE it should have been READ-- Real Education About Drugs-- (or something like that)-- educating kids about the truth about drugs. Telling them who really makes the big money off of drugs. About how the Drug War is a sham. About how the biggest problem with drug addiction is doctors pushing artificial chemical concoctions (AKA prescription drugs) that are often much worse for the body and mind and just as addicting or more so than many drugs derived from natural sources, especially marijuana. Telling them that using drugs at an early age is not a healthy choice and explaining why instead of just saying, "Because it's B-A-A-A-D for ya". Mrs. Reagan was out of touch on this subject.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options

BS44325 said:

Wobbie said:

not a fan.

I agree with you on a lot of those things...the war on drugs has been and still is a massive failure. The message of "just say no" though is not wrong, not naive and doesn't make you a supporter of the wider war on drugs by repeating it. Teaching kids not to use/abuse is and will always be important. Case in point...I tell my kids every day not to smoke...not to be peer pressured..."just say no" if you will. Now I don't doubt that they won't have a smoke at some point but I sure hope they don't become smokers. This goes with drugs as well...I've seen the needle and the damage done...just had a friend lose his battle with addiction. I know too many people who have been messed up by coke. Kids need to know that some drugs have inherent dangers and that saying no in social situations is ok. "Just say no" shouldn't be scoffed at...it's good parenting 101.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Wobbie said:

not a fan.

I agree with you on a lot of those things...the war on drugs has been and still is a massive failure. The message of "just say no" though is not wrong, not naive and doesn't make you a supporter of the wider war on drugs by repeating it. Teaching kids not to use/abuse is and will always be important. Case in point...I tell my kids every day not to smoke...not to be peer pressured..."just say no" if you will. Now I don't doubt that they won't have a smoke at some point but I sure hope they don't become smokers. This goes with drugs as well...I've seen the needle and the damage done...just had a friend lose his battle with addiction. I know too many people who have been messed up by coke. Kids need to know that some drugs have inherent dangers and that saying no in social situations is ok. "Just say no" shouldn't be scoffed at...it's good parenting 101.
    Speaking for myself, I get what you're saying, BS and it's cool that you care for kids well being but I think kids are smarter than we give them credit. They see through little sayings like "just say no". And the saying is a form of denial by using the word, "just", like it's "simple" to avoid peer pressure.

When I was 15 I started smoking because my friends though it was cool and I wanted to be accepted by them. My parents basically wanted me to "just say no". If they had explained that it really can be difficult to say no to your friends because you want to belong, if they had told me that if my friends rejected me for not smoking then maybe they weren't really my friends after all, if they had taken me to a hospital to meet a patient with throat cancer, or even just explained what that looks like (not a pretty sight), if they had just been open an honest I might not have ever smoked those nasty cancer sticks.

I believe there's no "just" about it, that's all.

• Options
    brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Wobbie said:

not a fan.

Speaking for myself, I get what you're saying, BS and it's cool that you care for kids well being but I think kids are smarter than we give them credit. They see through little sayings like "just say no". And the saying is a form of denial by using the word, "just", like it's "simple" to avoid peer pressure.

When I was 15 I started smoking because my friends though it was cool and I wanted to be accepted by them. My parents basically wanted me to "just say no". If they had explained that it really can be difficult to say no to your friends because you want to belong, if they had told me that if my friends rejected me for not smoking then maybe they weren't really my friends after all, if they had taken me to a hospital to meet a patient with throat cancer, or even just explained what that looks like (not a pretty sight), if they had just been open an honest I might not have ever smoked those nasty cancer sticks.

I believe there's no "just" about it, that's all.
    I think that's fair because it certainly isn't simple. The point I am making is that as parents we should be having the conversation and include all those points you just mentioned above. Teach "no" with the caveat that we get "no" ain't always easy.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Kids need to know the consequences of saying yes and all the other things Brian mentioned about the drug industry as a whole (not just the ones deemed illegal, esp now that script drugs have overtaken illicits as the main cause of OD death and addiction). They need to know the health effects, the legal consequences, the potential for addiction, and yes, that saying no is the best option.....But they also need to understand the principles of harm reduction, how to recognize addictive behaviour in themselves and their peers, and how to minimize the risks if they do choose to use. Preaching abstinence in regards to drugs is as ineffectual and dangerous as it is in regards to sex. And they don't need to hear it from a cop with a briefcase full of interesting looking paraphernalia who is doing nothing but building curiousity. Studies have shown DARE actually increased drug use in students who took the course compared to those who didnt. The Reagan drug initiatives did more harm than good, esp when you look at the backdoor dealings - social engineering and black ops - associated with the war on drugs. Anyway....I don't think we're far enough apart to keep going back and forth on this, esp not in this thread. I just wanted to expand on why I think Just Say No was either a massive mistake, or a PR campaign that was used to facilitate other agendas, to the detriment of the entire f'n world (in that the US pressured everyone to partake in the WOD). To me, that is Nancy's legacy. I don't have a whole lot of nice things to say about her, nor her hubby. I'll leave it at that.
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Ever since hearing Sunday that Ronald's nickname for Nancy was ""Mommy", I'm just kinda disturbed.

RIP
  • Options
    Free said:

Ever since hearing Sunday that Ronald's nickname for Nancy was ""Mommy", I'm just kinda disturbed.

RIP

One of my uncles used to call my aunt that...also called her "Cherie" (he was French/Persian). It can be creepy but it's not always.

I wonder if Ron calling her that was related to his Alzheimer's? How she cared for him when it began?
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    The news said it was his nickname for her.
  • Options
    Free said:

The news said it was his nickname for her.

Maybe that's just how the news works?
    =)

That little thing really doesn't bother me...guess it could others.
  • Options
    I read that he also called her Nancy-Pants.
    Mommy doesn't disturb me, personally....but then, my gf has called me daddy a time or two, so maybe I'm not the best judge :tongue: lol
  • Options
    Oh, my Drowned friend...I'd say your wife and I may or may not have a thing or two in common :whistle:
  • Options
    Haha...id never have assumed an innocent yet playful side to someone with your username. :whistle: