Options

Best PJ Show Ever Played: Where and When?

Comments

• Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    AndySlash said:

KP_McMinn said:

AndySlash said:

KP_McMinn said:

was curious to see if there was exactly that, a consensus of the perfect show...

and my point was the answer is 'no'.
    Its out there, bud.
    this thread alone suggests otherwise. there are many shows fans would consider perfect. but you will never get even a small majority of this fanbase to agree on "the best/perfect show ever played by Pearl Jam." a list, sure. a single show? no way.
    cute.

I disagree, respectfully. I'm not interested in getting "a small majority of this fanbase to agree on the best show the band has done. The thread was to determine the Mother of all shows, the one show you wished you could be at, the one show that if you could go back in time, and do whatever it took to be there, what show would that be? I personally think it has to be Halloween 10/31/09.
  • Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    Ask the worst show and you'll get a consensus. This place thrives on negativity. I'll start. Atlanta 2012.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    My top five of all time:
    melbourne 3/17/95
    soldier field 7/11/95
    Randall's Island night 2, nyc 9/29/96 (attended)
    msg night 2 9/11/98 (attended)
    philly 3 10/30/09 (attended)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,434

Ask the worst show and you'll get a consensus. This place thrives on negativity. I'll start. Atlanta 2012.

I think Cincinnati 2006 wins this one.

By the way, I was at Atlanta 2012 and thought it was great! Yes, it was a greatest hits set list, but the 50,000 people there all had smiles on their faces.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

My top five of all time:
    melbourne 3/17/95
    soldier field 7/11/95
    Randall's Island night 2, nyc 9/29/96 (attended)
    msg night 2 9/11/98 (attended)
    philly 3 10/30/09 (attended)

Melbourne, yes. I was 15 years old then, but i remember a couple stories from my older brothers friends, who was in attendance speaking very highly of the whole trip...he saw multiple shows there...
  • Options
    RS65573 said:

Atlanta 94.

yea, this one keeps popping up...this was def an all time candidate...
  • Options

Soldier Field 95'

Still the best concert I've ever seen. It seemed to be the first really long PJ show that had everything. Funny Ed, pissed off Ed, band on FIRE (especially Mike), smashing equipment at end during Blood, coming back out just Ed and Mike to do Yellow Ledbetter, awesome crowd and atmosphere, etc, etc...

and this on too....I'll have to find my copy of this one...been a while/
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715

By the way, I was at Atlanta 2012 and thought it was great! Yes, it was a greatest hits set list, but the 50,000 people there all had smiles on their faces.
    I really don't understand the hate for Cincinnati 2006. I was there and thought it was great. Long Road opener, Green Disease right into Not For You w/ Modern Girl tag, Inside Job, and Leash.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options

Soldier Field 95'

Still the best concert I've ever seen. It seemed to be the first really long PJ show that had everything. Funny Ed, pissed off Ed, band on FIRE (especially Mike), smashing equipment at end during Blood, coming back out just Ed and Mike to do Yellow Ledbetter, awesome crowd and atmosphere, etc, etc...

haha...I'll follow it up with Borgota, Atlantic City 05
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,434
    edited March 2016
    KC138045 said:

I really don't understand the hate for Cincinnati 2006. I was there and thought it was great. Long Road opener, Green Disease right into Not For You w/ Modern Girl tag, Inside Job, and Leash.
    I agree with you, though I wasn't there. I just know over the years many of the fans on the board have trashed that show. Honestly, if I have to think of a show that most people bash lately it's Wrigley Field 2013. Some fans had an awful experience that day/night and talk as if it was a complete disaster.

I for one LOVED Wrigley.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715

KC138045 said:

I agree with you, though I wasn't there. I just know over the years many of the fans on the board have trashed that show. Honestly, if I have to think of a show that most people bash lately it's Wrigley Field 2013. Some fans had an awful experience that day/night and talk as if it was a complete disaster.

I for one LOVED Wrigley.
    I loved Wrigley as well. The only negative I take form that night is the adventure of getting back to the hotel.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,492
    HARTFORD 13
  • Options
    KP_McMinn said:

Soldier Field 95'

haha...I'll follow it up with Borgota, Atlantic City 05
    I didn't go to the borgota shows, why were they so bad?
  • Options
    Well, its not that they were so bad, set list wise. Set list was actually fucking sick. But for me, the sound was absolutely shit. I mean, it was a small venue, with not that many people, and they played it like a fucking outdoor festival. It was just very bad audio, and the sound engineer just couldn't "get right" at the Borgota. I never thought i'd say it, but it was too loud...way to loud. Would have been perfect for an acoustic show or at least an acoustic set. And, I payed an extraordinary amount of money for the tickets. And when i subsequently tried to win the $ back via craps, blackjack and 3 card poker, you can say i wasn't in the greatest of moods walking in...
    That being said, i saw the debut of the song, 'Gone'. So it wasn't all bad....
  • Options
    Got ya! I ve been to shows that were too loud and must agree they sucked. You just couldn't enjoy yourself.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

I do believe that if it wasn't for the rain delay, most would be saying Wrigley Field in 2013 was the best show ever.

• Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    KC138045 said:

I was at cinci 06 and seeing Ed wipe his ass with a Rolling Stone magazine should have been enough to make that show legendary. Long Road opener at the spot of The Who tragedy gave me chills. I was at Atlanta in 12 and I am guessing that Ed was already getting sick. The show was dull. Low energy. Saw them the next week in Missoula and he was sick as a dog but that show was amazing.
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,626
    my2hands said:

I do believe that if it wasn't for the rain delay, most would be saying Wrigley Field in 2013 was the best show ever.

Ill third this. The setlist that was supposed to happen, coupled with the massive hype 6 months leading up to that one magical day July 19, 2013. Just may have been the single greatest PJ show ever.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    KP_McMinn said:

Well, its not that they were so bad, set list wise. Set list was actually fucking sick. But for me, the sound was absolutely shit. I mean, it was a small venue, with not that many people, and they played it like a fucking outdoor festival. It was just very bad audio, and the sound engineer just couldn't "get right" at the Borgota. I never thought i'd say it, but it was too loud...way to loud. Would have been perfect for an acoustic show or at least an acoustic set. And, I payed an extraordinary amount of money for the tickets. And when i subsequently tried to win the $ back via craps, blackjack and 3 card poker, you can say i wasn't in the greatest of moods walking in...

You're crazy... Borgata was amazing and I thought the sound was great... couldn't disagree more my friend
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    The PJ20 shows in totality have to be in there. The vibes of the crowd/band alone have to rank off the charts compared to most of the shows listed.

Hell, the performance/interaction of Release from that weekend alone should throw it easily in the top 5 alone.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    Hampton 2016?
  • Options
    my2hands said:

KP_McMinn said:

You're crazy... Borgata was amazing and I thought the sound was great... couldn't disagree more my friend
    nah bro. Sound blew. all good, glad you enjoyed it.
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Hampton 2016?

hopefully.
  • Options
    YLed2 said:

The PJ20 shows in totality have to be in there. The vibes of the crowd/band alone have to rank off the charts compared to most of the shows listed.

Hell, the performance/interaction of Release from that weekend alone should throw it easily in the top 5 alone.

thats what I think too. Alpine night one, was probably the mother of all shows.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Got ya! I ve been to shows that were too loud and must agree they sucked. You just couldn't enjoy yourself.

exactly, i just could not sit still, i remember constantly moving around from song to song, to try and balance it out. They would play STBC and Whipping, I'd have to move back, Man of the Hour, move back up, just could never get settled i felt, and i have never felt that way at any other PJ show.
  • Options
    AndySlash said:

yeeaah, there's hardly going to be a consensus on this. some will say pinkpop 92. some will say atlanta '94. some will say soldier field '95. some will say randall's island '96. some will say msg '98. some will say pinkpop '00. some will say boston '03. some will say philly '05. some will say grand rapids '06. i would say bonnaroo '08. you get the idea...

oh you would say Bonnaroo 08? thats awesome, its one that i never thought of, but can def see why one would think that. That whole camping vibe was probably just awesome....btw, you were spot on with your guesses...literally all of them have been listed.
  • Options
    Was there camping at the Gorge?
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Im biased but St. Louis October 11th 2000

1 Of The Girl
    2 Go
    3 Hail, Hail
    4 Brain Of J.
    5 Insignificance
    6 Whipping
    7 Light Years
    8 State Of Love And Trust
    9 Given To Fly
    10 Animal
    11 Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    12 Wishlist
    13 In My Tree
    14 Even Flow
    15 Daughter
    16 Better Man
    17 Footsteps
    18 Rearviewmirror
    19 Breakerfall
    20 U
    21 Do The Evolution
    22 Porch
    23 Parting Ways
    24 Sonic Reducer
    25 Last Kiss
    26 Yellow Ledbetter
  • Options
    JuannicenboimJuannicenboim Argentina Posts: 60
    Definitely Moline 2014, for obvious reasons
    Buenos Aires 11/25/05
    Buenos Aires 11/26/05
    Porto Alegre 11/28/05
    La Plata 11/13/11
    Buenos Aires 4/3/13
    Berlin 6/26/14
    Santiago 11/4/15
    La Plata 11/7/15
    Sao Paulo 11/14/15
    Chicago 08/20/16
    Chicago 08/22/16
  • Options
    I was at philly 3 and 4 in 09. Why everyone thinks that the Halloween show is better than night 3 is beyond me. I've been to 30 shows and 10/30/09 is probably the best. I think that set list was incredible. Maybe because I was always hoping they would play hold on one day...