Need feedback ASAP for my Nirvana covers - practice for my live perfomance

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
Hi all,
I am playing at a Nirvana tribute open mic night tomorrow and need some feedback, how do I sound?
I am going to play Come As You Are, Drain You, School and if time permits Floyd The Barber.
Here are recordings I did of my rehearsal on Sunday.
Honest constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    I'm being 100% honest here because I think that's what you want.

Come as you are:
    Your guitar is out of tune, your singing is pitchy and off beat, and you just couldn't keep the beat very well.

Drain you:
    singing is off key, tone is weak for this song. I would try increasing treble to make the distortion tone sharper.

The rest is pretty much the same. Need to get a better tone, and if you have to sing in key if you are gonna sing at all. do you have a drummer? Because the songs are a bit dull with just the guitar and the vocals, maybe doing acoustic renditions?
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    ehbacon said:

I'm being 100% honest here because I think that's what you want.

Come as you are:
    Your guitar is out of tune, your singing is pitchy and off beat, and you just couldn't keep the beat very well.

Drain you:
    singing is off key, tone is weak for this song. I would try increasing treble to make the distortion tone sharper.

The rest is pretty much the same. Need to get a better tone, and if you have to sing in key if you are gonna sing at all. do you have a drummer? Because the songs are a bit dull with just the guitar and the vocals, maybe doing acoustic renditions?

Thank you for your honest feedback.
    Yeah I didn't tune my guitar before playing, I know I should've. Was rushed.
    I know it wasn't the best singing, ah well, aiming to have fun more than perfection.
    Nah it is not for a band, for solo performances. I am playing guitar and singing.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

I know it wasn't the best singing, ah well, aiming to have fun more than perfection.
    Nah it is not for a band, for solo performances. I am playing guitar and singing.

Definitely have fun, don't give a shit and just have fun. I would consider doing either a quieter song, or a quieter version of a song. It's a lot harder to pull off that hardness that Nirvana has without any drums or bass, so a soft song would sound pretty cool solo.
    edited February 2016
    ehbacon said:

Definitely have fun, don't give a shit and just have fun. I would consider doing either a quieter song, or a quieter version of a song. It's a lot harder to pull off that hardness that Nirvana has without any drums or bass, so a soft song would sound pretty cool solo.
    Yeah it is so hard to sing like Kurt. I am not the best singer, I haven't had many lessons but I love Nirvana so much I don't want to not perform. Want to have a blast.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    edited February 2016
    Btw, did you mean my guitar tone or voice tone is weak?
    guitar tone
    I did well last night, got a lot of praise :D
  • rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    :clap: good for you!

is there a video?
    rollings said:

:clap: good for you!

is there a video?

Sadly not. I was hoping someone would film or that my friend would come to film.
    My only regret about last night.
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    NO REGRETS!!!!!!!

;)
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
    evsgjamm said:

NO REGRETS!!!!!!!

;)

haha I still wish I had it for memories sake.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

evsgjamm said:

NO REGRETS!!!!!!!

;)

haha I still wish I had it for memories sake.
    Do it again and bring someone to record it!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Did you charge for your performance?

Did you charge for your performance?

No it was at open mic which is free.
    Why do you ask?