Going to Boston for PJ - Good food places?

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
Hi,

I read that Boston has an incredible food truck program. Yes?

Where are good places for coffee? Dunkin Donuts is good, but I'm thinking about independent places with character and charm. Last time I asked (2006 PJ Tour), many people mentioned Dunkin Donuts. :)

Other good food places? Good districts to walk around?

What do you think of the bikeshare program?

There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird

Comments

• AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 863
    Lots of independently owned coffee shops on Newbury Street and in Harvard Square.
  • Go to Zaftigs Deli for breakfast. Order the stuffed french toast. Thank me later.
    9\28\04 - Boston 5\25\06 - Boston 6\28\08 - Mansfield 8\27\09 - Chicago 5\15\10 - Hartford EV - In Providence on the night the Bruins won the Cup! 7\19\13 - Chicago 10\25\13 - Hartford 4\28\16 - Philly 4\29\16 - Philly 8\5\16 - Fenway 8\7\16 - Fenway
  • http://boston.eater.com/

Look at the maps and use the search - has everything.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    I second zaftigs. They're half sour pickles are still a cherished memory of living down the street.

Food trucks? The restaurants in town will blow them away and you don't have to worry about food poisoning.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,621
    edited February 2016

I second zaftigs. They're half sour pickles are still a cherished memory of living down the street.

Food trucks? The restaurants in town will blow them away and you don't have to worry about food poisoning.

Wow - someone works in the restaurant industry. Food trucks are awesome and a lot have their own places as well like Bon Me, Chicken and Rice and Mei Mei. Mei Mei is sort of near Fenway and is awesome.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

Wow - someone works in the restaurant industry. Food trucks are awesome and lot have there own places as well like Bon Me, Chicken and Rice and Mei Mei. Mei Mei is sort of near Fenway and is awesome.
    Seconded.
  • lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    Ms. Haiku said:

Hi,
    Where are good places for coffee? Dunkin Donuts is good, but I'm thinking about independent places with character and charm. Last time I asked (2006 PJ Tour), many people mentioned Dunkin Donuts. :)

Dunkins is the WORST coffee. It wicked sucks. :)
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    El Pelon taqueria about a block away from Fenway Park.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • RebekahRebekah Cape Cod, MA Posts: 44
    Pour House for Sunday breakfast.
    Caught a bolt of lightening...cursed the day he let it go....
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    On my recent trips there, I've loved The Thinking Cup and Presse at Sonsie for coffee.

Presse for breakfast was delightful!

http://www.thinkingcup.com
    http://www.sonsieboston.com/presse-
  • ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668

Ms. Haiku said:

Hi,

Dunkins is the WORST coffee. It wicked sucks. :)
    Yes!
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    Rebekah said:

Pour House for Sunday breakfast.

This
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
    dankind said:

What this man said. Delicious tacos. Also, if you don't mind taking the T (subway), the dim sum in Chinatown is great, and Winsor Dim Sum is a delicious hole in the wall for it.

Dunkins is garbage, although I still drink it out of convenience sometimes. Barrington Roasters does a nice job.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Go to Zaftigs Deli for breakfast. Order the stuffed french toast. Thank me later.

Steve is right. Do it.

• dankind said:

Also a solid suggestion.
  • If you are into Italian food, the North End is our version of "Little Italy". I've been to several restaurants there, and my favorite, by far, is Ristorante Saraceno. Their Spaghetti al Carbonara is amazing.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    The average high temperature in Boston in August is 81 degrees. I bet that town is just full of energy. I wonder if I should take a week off and tour the coffee shops.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird

If you are into Italian food, the North End is our version of "Little Italy". I've been to several restaurants there, and my favorite, by far, is Ristorante Saraceno. Their Spaghetti al Carbonara is amazing.

Grotto in Beacon Hill is another great spot for Italian food if you're trying to stay away from tourist-heavy areas.
  • Fajitas and Rita's on West Street, Ichiban (sushi) near Boston Symphony Hall, Shake Shack Newbury St, North End restaurants
    "Hey, listen asshole, one more fucker throws a fuckin' quarter up here and we're outta here, I'm tellin' ya, FUCKER! What the fuck, you're blowin' it for fuckin' everybody. Hit me with a fuckin' quarter again and, fuck it, I'm outta here. We're all outta here. Fuck you, and if anyone sees someone throw fuckin' change right next to them, you have my permission to beat the fuckin' holy shit outta them."
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

If you are into Italian food, the North End is our version of "Little Italy". I've been to several restaurants there, and my favorite, by far, is Ristorante Saraceno. Their Spaghetti al Carbonara is amazing.

Pomodoro also kicks much ass.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:

Also a solid suggestion.
    Thornton's next door is always a nice spot, too.
    9\28\04 - Boston 5\25\06 - Boston 6\28\08 - Mansfield 8\27\09 - Chicago 5\15\10 - Hartford EV - In Providence on the night the Bruins won the Cup! 7\19\13 - Chicago 10\25\13 - Hartford 4\28\16 - Philly 4\29\16 - Philly 8\5\16 - Fenway 8\7\16 - Fenway
  • On Sundays in the summer, the SOWA market in Boston has several food trucks and it's a nice place to walk around and check out the outdoor vendors. sowaboston.com
    Mansfield 98, State College 03, Boston 06, Mansfield 08 1&2, Hartford 10, Boston 10,EV Boston 09 1&2, EV Hartford 11, EV Providence 11, EV Boston 11, MIA 12, Worcester 13
  • If you are there on Saturday (and there is no Hot Stove Cool Music show), here are some ideas:

http://www.bostonducktours.com/
    Might be fun for the people visiting for the first time.

Check out Boston Common. There are a bunch of bars around it. I recommend the Beantown Pub (Sam Adams is buried across the street, so you can be in Boston, have a Sam Adams, and look at Sam Adams). The Bull and Finch (Cheers) might be fun to see.

Head over to Faneuil Hall and check out The Black Rose or Ned Devine's. Also, the Green Dragon Tavern is close by (it was known as the "Headquarters of the American Revolution").
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Great ideas! Thank you.

Sandwich places? Your favorite sandwich there?