Time to shelve Pendulum

1235»

Comments

• I would imagine they will open with whatever the fuck they want to open with.
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    EV Bourbon and Beyond 2017
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018
    Nashville 2022
    St Louis 2022
    Oklahoma City 2022
    Denver 2022
    Chicago N1 2023
    Chicago N2 2023
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    I love it as opener. It's perfect. I look at it almost as intro music since its always followed by one of PJs "traditional" openers.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited February 2016

PJ_Soul said:

I have nothing against Pendulum. But I just wish the band would mix up what it opens and closes with a LOT more in general. They have so many options and are the best at mixing up setlists otherwise, so I don't know why they keep the openers and closers so totally predictable and repetitive.

The setlist structure has become....well...structured. Open with two or three slow songs (with Pendulum opening way too often). Open the second set with a few slow songs (usually played while seated). I don't get it.

And in 2013, I saw the second Brooklyn show and the second Philly show. The shows were three days apart. They opened each show with Pendulum, Wash, Nothingman, and Lightning Bolt. The same four exact songs...with other setlist similarities. It was kinda shocking.
    Don't forget the 1st & 2nd sets almost always end with RVM & Porch (or vice versa) nowadays.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    ^Not that I'm complaining about that. I could hear both those songs at every show I ever go to. Just saying they're getting slightly more predictable.
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,292
    Pendulum is a great opener. I agree that they should scale back on how much they play it but I like it as an opener.
    Although NOTHING tops Release as a way to start a show.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    I love the double opener. Last tour we got Pendulum and another opener? I don't see the problem with it.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883

^Not that I'm complaining about that. I could hear both those songs at every show I ever go to. Just saying they're getting slightly more predictable.

I wish they would put the shorter versions of each back in the beginning/middle of the sets from time to time.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    I would def. not shelve it. It is a good tune. I wonder though that if you dont have it as an opener, an encore song or a song like Sleight of Hand, what it does have on the dynamics of the night. The song has IMO the potential to take you to a weird (and good) place...

And as surprise every now, have Release as an encore opener. Shift all the paradigmas and expectations around

• I wouldn't hate Release as a closer, but not with all the house lights up...... There's something about that being played w/ the lights down.

I agree the setlist is getting stale.... Maybe that's also because I've seen them 10 times in the last 6 years.
  • KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    LukinFan said:

I love the double opener. Last tour we got Pendulum and another opener? I don't see the problem with it.

What the hell is a double opener? You can only open the show with 1 song.
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited February 2016
    PJ has a new album.

They played this new album on last tour.

Pendulum is great choice from new album as an opener.

If your fortunate enough to see the band live, then really fortunate to see band multiple times on a tour, well good for you. But to complain about it to the masses that dream of seeing pendulum live just once ?!?!
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited February 2016
    KP_McMinn said:

LukinFan said:

Lol. This concept has been debated at length in some other thread, and I was on your team. :lol: There is an opener. The opening song. I feel like people tried to excuse using a not-as-good opener followed by a better song (i.e. Pendulum followed by Release) by saying it was a "double-opener". It's a PJ apologist attitude as far as I can tell. But yeah, I'm with you - the opener is the first song. That's it. No such thing as a "double-opener"!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    well, I learned something new. I never realized that "shelve" is an actual word. I always thought it was "shelf" with "shelved" being the past participle.

Anyway, as for the whole pre-opener/double-opener thing...
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    KP_McMinn said:

LukinFan said:

The double opener is a myth. First song played = opener.
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356

I wouldn't hate Release as a closer, but not with all the house lights up...... There's something about that being played w/ the lights down.

I agree the setlist is getting stale.... Maybe that's also because I've seen them 10 times in the last 6 years.

Release with house lights on would be a different vibe. I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much.
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238

The double opener is a myth. First song played = opener.

• pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    YLed2 said:

Definitely in for Pendulum to be shelved as an opener and back to the traditional openers. Hell, I would even love it they opened a few shows with the hard hitters like Corduroy or Go.

I have been to a Go opener show... Detroit(Auburn Hills) Oct 7, 2000...Go and Corduroy second.
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."