Options

Suggestions of where to stay for MSG?

Apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere (send me there if it is), but does anyone have a good recommendation of where to stay for an MSG show? I want to stay in a good area of town (no offense to anyone if all of the area is good - I haven't been to NY and I watch Law and Order), but I also am already breaking the bank for the tickets and airfare. Any suggestions?
well, fuckers, he still stands
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    If you don't want to break the bank Central Park has many benches open for a great rate.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Airbnb it.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    Budget per night?
  • Options

If you don't want to break the bank Central Park has many benches open for a great rate.

That is what I'm afraid of.
    skigrlkw said:

Airbnb it.

I am bringing my boys, one who won't be going to the show. I will be leaving him in the room. (He is excited about this.) Would an airbnb place let you leave a teenager alone there? With airbnb, would I need a car to get to MSG? I've never used that service and I know nothing about NY.

• Options
    eddiec said:

Budget per night?

Could I find a decent hotel near by for $150 - $200 a night? (Hoping more for the $150 side)
  • Options
    I stayed at Penn Station and just walked across the street.
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options

eddiec said:

Budget per night?

Could I find a decent hotel near by for $150 - $200 a night? (Hoping more for the $150 side)
    For NYC that is extremely low. Especially near the venue. Not trying to bring you down but good hotels are 200 and up. Nice hotels start around 250. Most hotels for 150 you probably wouldn't leave your boys. Of course there always deals.
  • Options
    I am seeing some on Priceline that may work for me. Is the Chelsea area close enough to stay for MSG?
  • Options
    willnycwillnyc ...nyc Posts: 131
    Check Sofitel NY. Good rates, clean, centrally located.
  • Options

I am seeing some on Priceline that may work for me. Is the Chelsea area close enough to stay for MSG?

NYC is big but Manhattan is relatively small. Every 20 blocks is a mile so if you are 14th street you are only a mile from the Garden. Chelsea is fine.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    maybe chelsea isnt fine at all and your lying lol
    how you prove that one after the agonizing hassle
    of purchasing tickets
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

eddiec said:

Budget per night?

You're not going to find something for that price, unless it's Air BnB. More realistic will be ~$250-$300, unfortunately.

Check on Booking.com to get a sense of what you're looking at in terms of cost. Also, there are many neigbourhoods in New York. If you want to walk to MSG, I'm thinking somewhere in Chelsea would work. For example, Hilton Garden Inn in Chelsea has a room for $767 for 3 nights (includes tax), and that's cheap for Manhattan. It's under a 10 minute walk to MSG. Area around MSG isn't that pleasant. It's not unsafe, just very blah.

Do you have hotel points? Amex membership reward points? Now would be the time to whip those out!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529

Cue "Law and Order" music.
  • Options
    Jarock903Jarock903 New York Posts: 7
    edited January 2016
    Definitely recommend Booking.com. I am looking at the Courtyard by Marriott in Herald Square right now for $159 on May 1.
    "It was the most overwhelming feeling of moisture and heat that I have ever felt outside of the men’s bathhouse.” - Stone Gossard
  • Options
    FatassFatass Posts: 47
    May want to look in Jersey City or Hoboken as an alternative location with quick access to NYC
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Throw some PJ shirts on these people and this will probably be central park on the evening of May 1st

Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    airbnb is a better experience (plus discount) at a similar price in the city. i'd go with it.
  • Options
    I just looked at Booking.com. Wow!!! This is why I have been afraid to look.
    Jarock903 said:

Definitely recommend Booking.com. I am looking at the Courtyard by Marriott in Herald Square right now for $159 on May 1.

I may take this one...
  • Options
    I texted my son to see what he thought about staying in Chelsea. He sent me a link to Elvis Costello's "(I Don't Want to Go To) Chelsea". Ha, ha. Guess that was a creative way of telling me no.
  • Options
    A big thank you to everyone for your help!
  • Options
    Haven't pulled the trigger. Will look into airbnb first, then decide.
  • Options
    bet a little instead
  • Options
    skigrlkwskigrlkw Posts: 57
    edited January 2016
    Omg. Stay anywhere in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens or the Bronx and take the train. I live in Brooklyn and will be taking the train both nights.
    And by train-I mean the subway.
    Post edited by skigrlkw on
  • Options
    Chelsea is close by train and a very "safe" neighborhood.
  • Options
    MSnider44MSnider44 San Diego Posts: 746
    We got a good rate at the Wyndham New Yorker (steps from MSG) for 3 nights at $190 per.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    I have 3 nights booked at the nyma (New York Manhattan Hotel). It's like 3 blocks from MSG...feels safe around there to me. I stayed there last summer. After all the fees and taxes are added in, it will be $752 for 3 nights (Saturday checkin, check out Tuesday). You can find a little cheaper, but remember - sometimes you get what you pay for.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

I texted my son to see what he thought about staying in Chelsea. He sent me a link to Elvis Costello's "(I Don't Want to Go To) Chelsea". Ha, ha. Guess that was a creative way of telling me no.

Does he know New York at all? That song was written in 1978...
  • Options
    thats me on a bad day and they can be triggered on
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    If anyone's interested in splitting a room, please get in touch.
  • Options

Then i say let your boy stay home. Ill gladly buy your extra ticket and go to the show. Anyway, Chelsea is a good area, good deal you got there.
    Too many shows to list:
    From my first show in Hawaii when they opened for RHCP to upcoming 2016 MSG and Wrigley. Seen them in every continent except Africa and Antarctica.