Join Pearl Jam. Help Flint.

2»

Comments

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Thank you, guys, from another PJ fan born and raised in Flint, the town that can't catch a break. I donated.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    HOW TO DONATE
    Pearl Jam and friends encourage all fans and supporters to join them in donating what they can online at crowdrise.com/pearljam
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Cannot. Stand. that guy. Sorry. I am sure you mean well by sharing that link, but there are many ways to take action that do not go through him.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    Michael Moore is a douchebag
  • Not sending water is extreme and further alienating the citizens of Flint. We can continue to send water, and HELP with a revolt.

Gov. Snyder's ass needs to be impeached!
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
    control the water, control the people...
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    I'm so proud of my favorite band.
    edited January 2016

Cannot. Stand. that guy. Sorry. I am sure you mean well by sharing that link, but there are many ways to take action that do not go through him.
    +1
    Post edited by shecky on
    TL170678 said:
    +1

Not sending water is extreme and further alienating the citizens of Flint. We can continue to send water, and HELP with a revolt.

+1
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    shecky said:

+1
    I generally like MM, but that is a stupid article.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

Not sending water is extreme and further alienating the citizens of Flint. We can continue to send water, and HELP with a revolt.

I agree. They need water right away, but not bottled water.

I also think the water issue is bigger than just Flint.

I have no opinion about MM.

• FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    You guys are missing the point about Michael Moore. He is bringing on a movement to make the governor responsible for the water situation (which his is). So look past who is starting it because you don't like him and see what the petition is really about. And to make those who should be accountable, accountable.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Someone somewhere mentioned about the bottles....

There are organizations that have dumpsters at their establishments dedicated to the plastic bottles and are recycling them. There are also teams going around the neighborhoods to pick up bottles to recycle them.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    Oh and now there's talk of water issues in Burton.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited January 2016
    This is great information and well worth reading. It's very informative and shows much concern on Moore's part for the people of Flint. Putting down Moore (we've seen this happen somewhere, no doubt) for trying to find a long-term solution is counterproductive. Let's be supportive of efforts to be helpful.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2016
    Yeah, i agree Brian. I do think that the "don't send bottled water" thing is dumb because every little bit helps and they really do need some bottled water for drinking. Obviously it's not meant for showering and whatnot. And people recycle water bottles now, they don't throw them out (normally), so the landfill point isn't a very good one either IMO, considering the dire circumstances (not that I would normally support hundreds of thousands of water bottles). However, big water tankers are also needed right now. So it would be very helpful if major donors would just send a filled water tanker trunk (sounds like someone already did maybe, but they need several of them a day probably. Is the government not doing this btw?? I would think the government would be sending in water tankers on a daily basis. If not, shame on them). But yes, either way, Moore obviously gives a shit, and obviously wants to do something real about the people responsible for this mess, and he should be applauded for that whether people like him or not (i do like him quite a bit).
    But those who send 100,000 bottles of water for residents of Flint to drink should also be applauded. It's not like that water is useless.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • So now the water in Flint is putting my brother and sister firefighters in danger. What a mess! See the article below.
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Flint fire trucks rusting out on the inside, firefighters blame the corrosive city water
    BY STEPHANIE PARKINSON SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 14TH 2016

FLINT — The Flint water is not just eating away at pipes. The head of the Flint Firefighters Union, Jeremy Gilbert, says the corrosive water is responsible for rusting out the city's fire trucks from the inside. He fears the damage is putting fire fighters lives at risk.

"It's a safety issue for us," said Jeremy Gilbert, President, Flint Firefighters Union Local 352.

At fire station six on Flint's north side they have one of the newest rigs. It has only been in service since 2014. If you watch the video above you will see how great of shape the body of the vehicle is in but how rusted the inside of the pump is.

"That truck should not have that kind of wear and tear and rust," said Gilbert.

The main intake pump is what firefighters rely on most. It brings the water from the hydrant in, and pushes it back out the hose.

Gilbert says the condition of this 2014 truck is what he expects to see on a 20-year-old truck.

"If we were inside and it happened to break, or rust through or whatever, then I've got guys inside that are trapped without water," said Gilbert.

The pump on this truck may be working for now, but other parts are already malfunctioning.

Gilbert says many of the plastic seals on this newer truck are broken causing small leaks, which in the winter months can lead to lines freezing.

Gilbert is just hoping for a solution, and quickly.

"If we're safe, the people in the community are safe because then we can do our jobs and do it properly," said Gilbert.

The city's mayor, Karen Weaver, says she is looking into this, and appears to be taking the concerns of the firefighters very seriously.

"We have been working this week on trying to diagnose exactly what the problem is. Once (the) problem has been appropriately diagnosed, the necessary steps will be taken to fix or replace the equipment" said Weaver.

Gilbert says he has been in talks with the mayor and plans to continue those discussions to find a solution.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    i called my rottwheiler flint it was a nice name i think i picked
    Will Anyone Be Prosecuted for the Flint Water Crisis?
    How the Safe Drinking Water Act could help in bringing charges.
    BY JANE F. BARRETT
    February 16, 2016
    The headlines were alarming. Traces of cancer-causing contaminants in New Orleans and Pittsburgh public drinking water supplies. Lead from water supply pipes in Boston tap water. In response, in 1974 Congress enacted the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA), which was designed to protect public drinking water supplies.

Forty years later, Congress has passed multiple amendments to the SDWA, and regulatory agencies have adopted complex and lengthy regulations designed to prevent crises like the catastrophe now occurring in Flint, Michigan. But Flint’s water is still undrinkable and dangerous.

If allegations prove accurate, government employees of both the city of Flint and the state of Michigan appear to have violated the SDWA by failing to comply with regulatory requirements designed to keep Flint citizens safe from lead-contaminated drinking water.

But will anyone actually be prosecuted criminally for this disaster? Based on my experience litigating criminal and civil environmental cases, I know the law is complex. It remains to be seen whether anyone can or will be prosecuted criminally by either federal or state prosecutors for this disaster.
  • Blacksheep76Blacksheep76 Houston, TX Posts: 167
    It blows my mind that in a country as "advanced" as ours that we still have municipal water systems producing water that is undrinkable for it's citizens. Seems to me our priorities are just fu*ked up.
  • athenssmileathenssmile Posts: 147
    I work in the water industry. What happened in Flint is unforgivable. Those in charge decided to save $100 a day by choosing to not add the anti-corrosive agent to protect the pipes from the aggressive water. This water could have been drinkable if the agent had been added to lower the pH levels. Officials knew this and didn't do it.

It blows my mind that in a country as "advanced" as ours that we still have municipal water systems producing water that is undrinkable for it's citizens. Seems to me our priorities are just fu*ked up.

Across the country our infrastructure is aging. This results in broken water mains, boiled water advisories, and other problems. We all take for granted that we will have clean water with the turn of a faucet. If we don't begin replacing the infrastructure, similar problems may become more frequent.

Unfortunately, replacing the piping across America costs money. I don't fault people for this, but in general, people don't value water. I hear from people that our utility charges too much for water, that water should be free. I tell people that, yes, water is free. You can go to the river and get it any time you like. But the delivery of clean, treated drinking water is not free. I then ask people which is higher, their water bill or their cell phone bill. Always the water bill is lower. Then I ask them which one do they need to survive. We need to place a higher value on clean water and be willing to cover the expense to keep it flowing to us. Where I live, taxes do not cover the cost for replacing water mains and sewer lines. This money comes from our water and sewer charges. We charge less than a $.01 for a gallon of water. In my opinion, we should charge more.

I heard Marco Rubio said he wanted to scale back the Clean Water Act. To this day, we still haven't met the goals established by the Clean Water Act. I think what is happening in Flint should make us want to strengthen the CWA, not tear it apart. Having clean water delivery is never going to hurt the economy or job market. I can't understand how any politician could suggest such a thing.

Sorry to go on for so long and to go down different water paths. I hope I don't sound like I am yelling. I just get so frustrated by what happened in Flint. It was preventable. And as a country, we need to start paying attention to water everywhere. I thank Pearl Jam for what they are doing to raise funds to help Flint, as well as for raising awareness for the water issues here and through their other works with Surfrider, etc.

well, fuckers, he still stands
    edited March 2016
    Excellent comments athenssmile, very informative, concise and well written!
    I don't know what it will take to shake people out of their complacency.
    We have become such a materialistic people.
    Strange to realize that the the two most vital substances required for our very existence, air and water, in their purest forms, are virtually invisible.
    Post edited by shecky on
    President Obama was in Flint today. :murica:

I work downtown and almost got to see the limo pass by. I was elevated from where they were on 475 north - all I could see were the tops of the secret service vans and there were a lot of flashing lights.

My ride home was extremely creepy. At that point they had shut down 475 south and it was uncomfortable to see zero traffic traveling south. They had gridlock right outside of Mount Morris where there were 2 state cop cars blocking entry and at each exit along the way there were 2 state vehicles blocking entry.

That was my first experience and it was pretty cool. The last time I'll be in the same city as President Obama I'm sure.
    Today the House passed a 170 million aid package.
  • OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    FoxyRedLa said:

Today the House passed a 170 million aid package.

That's great news!!! It's about time..