The terrorist attacks we don't care about

Comments

• jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Who the fuck is doing that though? I feel like you and some others who lean to the right are basically inventing this phenomenon. I have NEVER EVER once in my whole life downplayed the seriousness of this or the scope, magnitude and potential. On the contrary. I have said the exact opposite many times over the years. That you think that about me 100% proves that you are just making this shit up out of thin air, seriously.

So when did you say the exact opposite and what did you say?
    In a whole shit load of threads where it was being discussed.
    Name one?
    What about the one where I got attacked for saying that 20 - 25% of Muslims can be considered to have radical views (at least)? I have no idea what thread that was. But seriously, if you ever payed attention and spent less time trolling you would know that I've never held back punches as far as radical Islam goes. Fucking pay attention.
    20-25% is what you say?
    I am paying attention. Just don't recall you saying that.
    I remember her catching plenty of heat from that, especially I think from a former poster who is Muslim.
    So since you guys agree do you stand by that percentage now?
    or is it lower.
    What has that got to do with this thread?
    Terrorism that no one seems to care about.
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    To get back to what this thread is actually about, it is tragically true that we tend not to be as emotionally invested in attacks that happen in countries whose citizens we may not find it as easy to relate to
  • To get back to what this thread is actually about, it is tragically true that we tend not to be as emotionally invested in attacks that happen in countries whose citizens we may not find it as easy to relate to

That is changing rapidly though.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Anyway, moving on.... I saw video taken by people who were in the airport in Istanbul and hiding in a store or something. What impressed me was how totally together and calm they all were.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

Anyway, moving on.... I saw video taken by people who were in the airport in Istanbul and hiding in a store or something. What impressed me was how totally together and calm they all were.

They were praying.

PJ_Soul said:

They were praying.
    How do you know?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

To get back to what this thread is actually about, it is tragically true that we tend not to be as emotionally invested in attacks that happen in countries whose citizens we may not find it as easy to relate to

That is changing rapidly though.
    Interesting comment. Why do you say that?
  • ^^^
    More and more people are relating to the "attacks" at home.

^^^

I'm still not sure what you're trying to say, especially now with the quotation marks around the word attacks.
  • PJ_Soul said:

^^^

I'm still not sure what you're trying to say, especially now with the quotation marks around the word attacks.
    More and more people from the country they live in used to be worlds apart from the abject horror that they are now witnessing everyday one the television.
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682

PJ_Soul said:

^^^

More and more people from the country they live in used to be worlds apart from the abject horror that they are now witnessing everyday one the television.
    If you're saying that people are actually relating more to these attacks now that they can see them on television, then I think the opposite is true. In fact, we're becoming so desensitised to these attacks now that they're appearing on our screens more and more often.

My point though really, was that when attacks occur in a country with a culture very different from our own, we find it harder to relate to the victims, sad as that may be. Whereas when we see an attack on France or Belgium, not only is it geographically closer to home but it is an attack on people who are so similar to ourselves that we feel greater empathy. More selfishly, we are more affected by these attacks because they raise our fears for our own safety when we see such places and people attacked. On the other hand, attacks that happen in Africa and the Middle East are almost taken as a given, as if they are part of the way of life there. It's a damning indictment both of life in those countries and of our own resignation and inability to bring about change.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Some members of this board waste a ton of time trolling

Lame
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited June 2016
    Yet another attack the west could give two shits about:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/30/asia/afghanistan-violence/index.html

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN)At least 34 people were killed Thursday when two suicide bombers attacked a convoy of buses carrying newly graduated police officers in Afghanistan, authorities said.

The dead include 30 officers and four civilians, said Musa Rahmati, the Paghman District chief.
    An additional 60 people were wounded in the attack west of Kabul.
    One attacker was on foot, and the other was in an explosives-packed car, Rahmati said.
    They attacked five buses carrying 219 police graduates who were traveling to Kabul from a police training center in neighboring Wardak province.
    The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, the group's spokesman, Zabiullah Mujahid, said in a statement.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited July 2016
    Who is a terrorist depends on perspective, that's for sure (I personally would not classify this as terrorism, and not because I live in a country that is in the coalition. Just because deaths caused by military action carried out by internationally recognized governments during a military conflict just isn't terrorism by definition, even when civilians are killed. But I understand why you posted this).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    A Syrian refugee tried to enter a German music festival, was denied and blew himself up while injuring 12. He pledged his dumb ass to ISIS
    Mass stabbing in Japan at a facility for the disabled. 15 dead. 45 injured

Just now breaking ...
  • Jason P said:

A Syrian refugee tried to enter a German music festival, was denied and blew himself up while injuring 12. He pledged his dumb ass to ISIS

Do you know if he had any last words?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Jason P said:

Just now breaking ...

19 dead at facility for the disabled
    A man in his 20s a former employee in custody
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2016

Jason P said:

Just now breaking ...

19 dead at facility for the disabled
    A man in his 20s a former employee in custody
    Just read that, crazy... Those poor families. Another crazy person with a new kind of crazy agenda succeeded.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/693198/at-least-15-killed-knife-attack-stabbing-Sagamihara-Japan
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    Did I have my head in the sand the past few days or was the following never brought up in the news ....

Man killed in Canadian police raid made a 'martyrdom video,' was in final stages of planning terror attack

TORONTO (AP) — A tip from the FBI triggered what Canadian police on Thursday called a "race against time" as police scrambled to identify and locate a balaclava-wearing would-be suicide bomber they feared was on the verge of committing a terror attack in Canada.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said Aaron Driver, a Canadian man previously banned from associating with Islamic State extremists, prepared a martyrdom video and was about to commit a terrorist attack but was killed Wednesday in southern Ontario after he detonated his explosive device in a taxi and was shot at by officers.

businessinsider.com/ap-dead-canada-attack-suspect-prepared-martyrdom-video-2016-8

I know this would have been a big deal if it happened in the states.

Do we really give no fucks about what goes on in the great white north?
    If the cops would have shown up one minute later, he would have escaped in the taxi and probably would have killed a lot of people.
  • Our cops knew about him and his association with ISIS, but never moved on him until he was 'officially' set to blow people up.

This fact has made some Canadians happy. Other Canadians are wondering, "Why wasn't he detained before he strapped explosives to his chest and set out to kill us?"
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited August 2016

Our cops knew about him and his association with ISIS, but never moved on him until he was 'officially' set to blow people up.

This fact has made some Canadians happy. Other Canadians are wondering, "Why wasn't he detained before he strapped explosives to his chest and set out to kill us?"

This is being discussed in the Canadian politics thread. Over there I suggested that the cops did that because they don't trust the Canadian courts anymore than the rest of us do, and perhaps they did it that way because they felt that if their case wasn't absolutely airtight it could get thrown out on a technicality or because of a lack of hard evidence, or the actions of the investigators could come into question just like is happening with those two terrorists who were going to blow up the BC Parliament building.
    A child ISIS suicide bomber - aged 12 to 14 years old - attacked a plain old Kurdish wedding in Turkey, killing at least 51 and injuring many more, some critically.

http://ti.me/2btesxg
  • PJ_Soul said:

A child ISIS suicide bomber - aged 12 to 14 years old - attacked a plain old Kurdish wedding in Turkey, killing at least 51 and injuring many more, some critically.

http://ti.me/2btesxg

Child soldiers.

It takes a special kind of pathetic, low life coward to get children to do your work for you.

Say nothing of the soft target.

What a messed up mentality.
  • Another one in Turkey today. Police station. A bunch dead and a bunch injured.
    Two cruise missiles were fired at the USS Mason from off the coast of Yemen. Apparently the ships defense system was able to take them out. Doesn't seem to be a big deal to the media, but if they hit the ship we would be discussing declaration of war.
  • Jason P said:

Two cruise missiles were fired at the USS Mason from off the coast of Yemen. Apparently the ships defense system was able to take them out. Doesn't seem to be a big deal to the media, but if they hit the ship we would be discussing declaration of war.

The USS Mason off the coast of Yemen would suggest war regardless. I don't see such an attack as terrorism.

Jason P said:

The USS Mason off the coast of Yemen would suggest war regardless. I don't see such an attack as terrorism.
    Depends on if they were in international waters. And what country provided the missiles?