Options

Some snow coming this way (Washington, DC)

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
Are you preparing for the Blizzard of 2016?

I won't be ready until I have a new tin of coffee. I'm not going to endure through a blizzard with stale coffee. I have standards I must keep even when I am snowed in.

And you? What are you doing to prepare for the US East Coast blizzard?
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird

Comments

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I'm going to a comic con in Jersey :lol:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,844
    I'm driving from NYC to Atlantic City. A storm will not be stopping my fun.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Leaving tomorrow for California. Kinda pissed I'm gonna miss it
  • Options
    Just snowed about half-inch.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    A vine post of the snow last night

https://vine.co/v/ie1egKLVpur/embed

Some boomerang fun as well

https://instagram.com/p/BAx7AgtMc48/?taken-by=bibliobella

These video platforms will be fun during a PJ concert :)
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    DC traffic is the worst, especially in the winter time--

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/01/21/an-inch-of-snow-icy-roads-unleash-9-hours-of-traffic-chaos-across-d-c-region/
    An inch of snow, icy roads unleash 9 hours of traffic chaos across D.C. region

By Fred Barbash and Justin Wm. Moyer January 21 at 4:04 AM

D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser delivered an apology to the residents of the District after the city failed to prepare for an inch of snowfall Wednesday, which caused significant delays during rush hour. (WUSA9)

“Horrible.” “Pathetic.” “Painful.” “Unbelievable.” “One inch of snow did this.”

From every corner of the region and into the wee hours of the morning, from every highway and byway, motorists vented their anger and frustration that they were still out there — at 1 a.m., then 2 a.m. and still at 3 a.m. — because of ice and untreated roads, from a modest early-evening snowfall that came and went in a few hours.

As the beginning of the morning rush hour approached, there were still reports of hazardous conditions and road blockages in many areas.

The detritus of the long commuting ordeal — scores of cars abandoned on and around the shoulders of highways — could complicate the drive to work for those unfortunate enough to have to make it.

It was Washington’s familiar post-apocalypse look, minus the apocalypse, a bewildering sight to those accustomed to more frigid climes.

[Capital Weather Gang: We are not blameless in this]

And the scene proved once again (though no proof was needed) that Washington, when taken by surprise, is woefully unprepared, not just for a blizzard but for any “snow event.” It also showed how little it takes for the region to descend into a long night of traffic chaos: more than 1,000 reported fender-benders (unofficial numbers via Waze), six- and seven-hour trips home, jammed arteries and impassably frozen exit ramps.
    Light snow paralyzes D.C. traffic
    Play Video1:58
    Frustrated D.C. drivers took to social media to document their commuting woes on Jan. 20. Light snow fell and caused traffic jams and minor crashes on busy, slick roads. (The Washington Post)

That was compounded by road-treatment crews desperately but slowly trying to make things right and by emergency vehicles responding to calls about countless accidents. Most were said to be “minor” as cars slid into one another, but there were also reports, with little detail, of more serious crashes.

[How to prepare for the big weekend storm]

Got this from the old lady, exits are closed on 66 due to abandoned cars pic.twitter.com/7LwrAmEoK3

— Mike Lynch (@M_Lynch_) January 21, 2016

Overnight, every major highway appeared to be backed up in some spot, many in numerous places. Those roads bearing the letter “I” in their names— interstates 66, 295, 495, 395, 95, 695, 270 — were the worst of all. With many exit ramps blocked, there was no escape.

(Screenshot of NavBug chat)

Silean Eaves, an assistant principal at School Without Walls in the District, told The Washington Post in a telephone interview from the road that she spent more than 6 1/2 hours on I-66 West before she reached the Dulles Toll Road on her way home to Herndon. “It’s a mess,” she said at 3 a.m., still en route. “Just pure ice. You can’t even go up any of the ramps. You pretty much have to stay on 66 and ride it out.” Plus she would have to make the reverse journey in just a few hours. “We have to go to school tomorrow at 7:30,” she said, wondering how conditions could possibly be better in the morning as 66 East was “a parking lot.” She added: “There’s a spelling bee. By the grace of God, we’ll get some rest and get out there.”
    (Screenshot of DOT traffic camera)
    (Screenshot from Department of Transportation traffic camera)

“Horrible,” said Maryland State Police Sgt. Brandon Gosnell when he answered the phone at 2:42 a.m. “It’s basically a parking lot — the entire county,” he said of Prince George’s County. “We’re just playing catch-up.” The same was true across the region, according to traffic reports, police and motorists who took to Twitter and WTOP’s all-night hotline to vent.

.@WTOP Final commute time: 6 hrs, 25 mins from #Arlington to Centreville via US 50. #DCsnow — Douglas Ullman, Jr. (@dullman82) January 21, 2016

“One inch of snow did this tonight,” tweeted Rebecca DiLuzio. “I can’t even think of what this weekend’s storm will do.”

“I left Fairfax at 6:20. It is 1:40 in the morning,” said a hotline caller. Another: “I am on Indian Head Highway. It has not been treated. This is unbelievable. This is pathetic. This is not managed government.” Another: “I am sitting on the Beltway in Oxon Hill at a complete stop for an hour and a half. This is really painful.”

True story. @JudyWoodruff offered me a ride home tonight. That was 2.5 hrs ago. #dcsnow#pals4life — gwen ifill (@gwenifill) January 21, 2016

@gwenifill@JudyWoodruff I can come get you with my dog team and sled… — Brent Staples (@BrentNYT) January 21, 2016

1 inch of snow: Left the office at 7:20 p.m. Got home at 2:42 a.m. Spent 5 hours sitting at Pentagon. Happy at home now #DCsnow@WashTimes — Jennifer Harper (@harperbulletin) January 21, 2016

The night summoned the memory of a snowstorm in 2011 that trapped commuters for as many as 13 hours. Robert Fletcher, 57, left his Farragut Square law office before 7 p.m. and headed toward a usually 30-minute, 12-mile commute to his Falls Church home. More than four hours later, he was calling his wife from behind the wheel of his Infiniti, hopelessly mired in a miles-long backup on Interstate 66 just west of Rosslyn, inching less than half a mile in four hours.

“This is an unbelievable situation,” he said by phone. “It’s just a dangerous situation, and the authorities are doing absolutely nothing. I just don’t understand.”

[Capital Weather Gang’s latest storm forecast: Timing, snow predictions and more]

D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) appeared to miss the potential hazards of a slight amount of snow. At a midday news conference Wednesday, she focused on the impending weekend storm, not mentioning at all the possibility of snow affecting the city during the evening commute.

Kellie Boulware, a Maryland State Highway Administration spokeswoman, said the roads were not pre-treated because the forecast was calling for no more than a squall. She said that as the snowfall continued, the highway agency pulled in additional crews, which were to work through the night to treat slick roads in preparation for the morning rush.

In Virginia, state transportation officials did not pre-treat roads because forecasts called for temperatures so low that the treatment might freeze on roads, making them more hazardous.

“It only takes a little bit of ice to create a very serious situation,” said Jennifer McCord, a spokeswoman. Even President Obama’s motorcade was affected, making its way from Joint Base Andrews at 7:26 p.m. through suburban Maryland and the District. The vehicles stopped at most stoplights and eased their way through the slow-moving traffic, often employing sirens and flashing lines.

After nearly an hour, the vehicles, slipping and skidding, started making more aggressive use of their sirens and stoplight privileges. The ride ended at the White House at approximately 8:40 p.m.
    Light snowfall cripples D.C. region’s commute
    View Photos
    Snowfall causes delays and brings traffic to a halt throughout D.C. area.

Victoria St. Martin and Clarence Williams contributed to this report.

READ MORE:

How to protect yourself and your home

What to do if you see someone who needs help in freezing weather

Donate to your local shelter before the storm hits

Help Capital Weather Gang name this weekend’s blizzard

Want the Capital Weather Gang’s 5 a.m. forecast delivered to
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

Leaving tomorrow for California. Kinda pissed I'm gonna miss it

Ha, we leave for Florida first thing tomorrow morning. Good minds think alike
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    Used to live in DC area
    Now I live in Colorado and when it snows here we go to work and school and play outdoors.
    Don't miss the DC snow paralysis at all

Not to brag but it's going to be in the 50s here the next 2 days :joy: