GLEASON will Premiere on Amazon Prime Video

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
edited August 2023 in The Porch
@TeamGleason Five years in the making. 1,300 hours of footage. One week until the global premier of #Gleason. #Sundance

Gleason
director sundance film festival 2016 sundance film festival 2016 Clay Tweel
Screenwriter Clay Tweel
Cast Rivers Gleason, Michel Gleason, Steve Gleason

Hope some footage from Pearl Jam's Spokane '13 show is included in the film.
Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    So thrilled that this made Sundance. It will hopefully shed much light on Steve and ALS. I truly adore Steve and his family and everything they do. Thanks Demetrios for keeping us up to date!
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    @ Wishlist Foundation

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/14/steve-gleason-new-orleans-saints-als-documentary-movie

In a life marked by courage, inside Steve Gleason's most important act

In this exclusive clip from the upcoming documentary "GLEASON," ALS-stricken former New Orleans Saints defensive back Steve Gleason and wife Michel begin the journey of parenthood, recording a capsule of life and love for their then-unborn son Rivers.

by SI Wire

Former New Orleans Saints defensive back Steve Gleason is featured in an upcoming documentary film titled Gleason, which chronicles his life after he was diagnosed with ALS.

Gleason, 38, played for the Saints for his entire eight-year NFL career, and is most known for his blocked punt in the first game at the Superdome after Hurricane Katrina. He retired in 2008, and was given two to five years to live after being diagnosed with ALS in 2011.

The film shows video journals Gleason made for his then-unborn son, Rivers, to remember his father before his condition began to deteriorate.

Watch an exclusive clip from the film, which will premiere at Sundance Film Festival on Jan. 23, above. The film is directed by Clay Tweel.

The documentary features some of the most significant moments in Gleason’s life since his diagnosis: becoming a father, speaking at the United Nations and forming his ALS support organization, Team Gleason.

- Erin Flynn
    http://www.parkrecord.com/sports/ci_29405289/gleason-takes-depth-look-at-als

'Gleason' takes in-depth look at ALS
    Director Clay Tweel chronicles struggles of former NFLer
    Adam Spencer, The Park Record

Gleason, a U.S. Documentary, will premiere on Saturday, Jan. 23, at the PC MARC at 11:30 a.m. The documentary takes an in-depth look at former NFL player Gleason, a U.S. Documentary, will premiere on Saturday, Jan. 23, at the PC MARC at 11:30 a.m. The documentary takes an in-depth look at former NFL player Steve Gleason s battle with ALS.(Photo courtesy of Sundance Institute)

On Sept. 25, 2006, Steve Gleason delivered one of the defining moments in New Orleans Saints history when he burst through the Atlanta Falcons' offensive line and dove to block Michael Koenen's punt. A teammate recovered the ball in the end zone, scoring the Saints' first points in the team's first game back at the Superdome following the destruction of Hurricane Katrina.

Dedicated in 2012, a statue now stands outside the Superdome highlighting Gleason's electric moment.

Though Gleason will live on forever in the hearts of Saints fans, he is perhaps more known nationally for another reason. After being diagnosed with ALS in 2011 at age 34, Gleason quickly became a face for the disease. Today, the Gleason Initiative Foundation aims to help those battling neuromuscular diseases and support organizations searching for a cure for ALS.

Now, as Gleason moves past the two-to-five-year life expectancy window for those diagnosed with the debilitating disease, a project he began five years ago as a video journal for his unborn child has been made into a documentary, which will help raise more awareness for Gleason's battle.

"Gleason," directed by Clay Tweel, has been accepted into the U.S. Documentaries competition at this year's Sundance Film Festival. Tweel said his aim with the project is to create a powerful, in-depth look at the daily struggles of those with ALS and those who are tasked with caretaking duties.

"When I came on the project, what drew me to it was I could see how impactful the story was," he said. "When I met with Steve and Michel, I could see how special they were. I saw a little bit of the footage and knew I had to get involved."

Most of the footage for the documentary had already been filmed by the time Tweel joined the project. He said there were nearly 1,300 hours of video to go through.

"To let that wash over me was intense," he said. "Steve had created this giant reservoir of material trying to make some videos for his child. On top of that, a couple guys -- Ty Minton-Small and David Lee -- embedded themselves with the family to help him film things when he no longer could. There were so many ways to go with the story and so many pieces of footage."

Tweel's father is the lawyer for legendary boxer Muhammad Ali, so Tweel has experience around athletes with neuromuscular diseases. Ali has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

"I honestly did not know much about ALS," Tweel said. "I knew a little bit about Parkinson's and [multiple sclerosis], but not a whole lot about ALS and how many people it affects. It's more prevalent than I thought, which made one of the missions of the film to raise awareness and let people live in the daily challenges of the disease."

Tweel said one of his biggest challenges was choosing which direction to go with the film due to the vast amount of moving footage.

"[The storyline] was kind of there in the back of my mind, but seeing the footage and seeing how we could tell some of the story behind the story was important -- Steve and Michel filmed a lot of personal moments," he said. "It's pretty life-changing. It'll put your own life into perspective real quick. The nature of the footage is really experiential. You're getting a fly-on-the-wall view of the daily challenges of living with ALS."

After the film makes its appearances at Sundance, Tweel said he hopes to stay in contact with Gleason, his family and everyone who made the documentary possible.

"It's been an incredible bonding experience," he said. "There are so many good, good people. I hope to stay in touch with all of them."

"Gleason" will be Tweel's second Sundance film. His documentary "Finders Keepers" was accepted into last year's festival.

"It's crazy," he said. "I've spent the better part of my career trying to get a movie into Sundance. To have two in back-to-back years has left me speechless. It's amazing and I feel very honored and lucky. I'm excited to share the film with the Sundance audiences."

"Gleason" is part of the U.S. Documentaries competition. It will premiere at the PC MARC on Saturday, Jan. 23, at 11:30 a.m. It will be shown seven times over the course of the Sundance Film Festival.

"Gleason" Screenings

Jan. 23 -- The MARC -- 11:30 a.m.

Jan. 24 -- The Grand Theatre -- 3:15 p.m.

Jan. 25 -- Temple Theatre -- 9 a.m.

Jan. 28 -- Perry's Egyptian Theater (Ogden) -- 6:30 p.m.

Jan. 29 -- Prospector Square Theatre -- 8:30 a.m.

Jan. 29 -- The Grand Theatre -- 6:15 p.m.

Jan. 30 -- Library Center Theatre -- 12 p.m.
    @ Team Gleason

Amazing night with friends and family for the first showing of the film in Sundance at the Victory Ranch. Huge thank you to ‪#‎victoryranch‬ and ‪#‎GriffinClub‬ LA. ‪#‎NoWhiteFlags‬

@MikeMcCreadyPJ At the premiere for the @TeamGleason Steve Gleason documentary. #NoWhiteFlags

@MikeMcCreadyPJ Just saw the @TeamGleason film #sundance...riveting on EVERY level as a father, friend, husband, teammate... wow.

edited January 2016
    http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/musician-mike-mccready-of-pearl-jam-attends-the-gleason-news-photo/506454118

Musician Mike McCready of Pearl Jam attends the 'Gleason' Premiere during the 2016 Sundance Film Festival at The Marc Theatre on January 23, 2016 in Park City, Utah.
    January 23, 2016| Credit: Phillip Faraone
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    Looking good Mike!
    @sundancefest - Joined by two home state powerhouses (@microsoft & @pearljam) in #sundance. So grateful to both. - @TeamGleason

http://www.noladefender.com/content/no-white-flags-sundance

No White Flags at Sundance

Posted Monday, January 25th, 2016

Since 2011 when Steve Gleason was diagnosed with ALS, his battle with the disease has alternatively moved New Orleanians to tears and inspired us to greatness. Now, the rest of the world is learning Gleason’s story. “GLEASON,” a documentary about the local hero is dominating the Sundance Film Festival the same way that the former Saint dominated Atlanta on that fateful day in 2006.

The movie’s sold-out Saturday (1.23) night premier this weekend ended with a standing ovation and by all accounts, a lot of tears. Then, the accolades began to stream in. The New York Times, Glamour, and The LA Times all placed the work on their lists of hot films to watch. Industry insiders reported that several distribution offers are being prepared. And, of course social media blew up.

“Just finished watching premiere of GLEASON. One powerful, raw, emotional film. America needs to see it,” raved Sports Illustrated’s Peter King.

Gleason’s pal, Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready tweeted, "Just saw the @TeamGleason film #sundance...riveting on EVERY level as a father, friend, husband, teammate... wow.”

Drew Brees and Scott Fujita were also on hand to support their comrade.

The doc began as a video journal that Gleason kept for his young son River to watch later in life. Then, David Lee and Ty Minton-Small got involved. The two local filmmakers began shooting footage of the Gleason family regularly and assembled a rough cut of the film. After viewing a trailer, Sundance favorites, Clay Tweel and Seth Gordon (“Finders Keepers”) took over the directorial role on the project and steered the project to completion and this week’s premier.

The Saints’ safety gained fame for a blocked punt in 2006, which became a symbol for Who Dat victory and post-K recovery. Gleason announced that he was living with ALS in 2011, and his dedication to helping others with the devastating disease has only upped his WhoDat hero status.

Team Gleason is an organization driven to spread public awareness for ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. Team Gleason works to help give those with neuromuscular diseases or injuries access to leading edge technology, equipment and services; spark the global conversation about ALS to ultimately find a cure; and raise public understanding about ALS by documenting the astonishing lives of those with muscular diseases or injuries.
    https://www.facebook.com/mikemccreadypj/posts/932490350160901

Mike McCready shared Team Gleason's photo.

Congratulations to Steve Gleason and the entire Team Gleason crew on the early success of the film! I saw the Gleason film at Sundance Film Festival yesterday. It's riveting on EVERY level as a father, friend, husband, teammate... wow.
    Check the video ..

http://www.wdsu.com/news/Steve-Gleason-From-ALS-diagnosis-to-the-Sundance-Film-Festival/37818698

Steve Gleason: From ALS diagnosis to the Sundance Film Festival
    Former Saint continues to overcome the odds

Park City, Ut. —With his appearance at a red carpet event at the Sundance Film Festival, for the world premiere of a film about him, Steve Gleason continued to defy the odds. Former teammates Drew Brees and Scott Fujita were there, as was Pearl Jam's Mike McCready. They are all friends who were on Gleason's wild life journey well before his Lou Gehrig's disease, also called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS, diagnosis in 2011.
    Related

"He played the game like he lives his life," Saints quarterback Drew Brees said. "Kind of with, I don't want to say reckless abandon, but just like he's all in. He's all in with everything that he does."

But the gut punch from an ALS diagnosis-- the painful and gradual decline of a perfectly healthy 34-year-old, was one no one saw coming.

"He's a true fighter that's for sure," former NFL player Lonie Paxton said. "He's got good friends, good teammates and good family support and it shines through with Team Gleason."

"Gleason" is a raw and powerful film that will move, crush, inspire and teach viewers. It features about 1,300 hours of video that Gleason started to record for his son,Rivers, after Gleason's ALS diagnosis. This is such a big deal for the family and friends that a few dozen of them made the trip from New Orleans to support him.

The film's director, Clay Tweel, and much of the New Orleans contingent attended a private screening the night before the world premiere. He says his challenge was finding a new way to tell Gleason's well-documented story.

"His perseverance is reflected back at him from Michel even stronger than I initially thought, so that was a little bit of a surprise, really seeing Michel's journey through this whole process," Tweel said.

For Gleason's wife Michel, the unsung hero since his diagnosis, the film, the response to it and Sundance is difficult to process.

"I cannot believe, I cannot believe that we're here right now," Michel Gleason said. "I guess I can because Steve is grandiose and likes to make a statement but this, this is a big deal, I think."

For the cinematographers, the duo embedded with the Gleasons for years, the project became very personal.

"We got so close to them so it was hard to see him go through some of that stuff and take it down on film and be objective about it, but I think it turned out pretty good," Director of Photography David Lee said.

Lee said he learned a lot while shooting video for Gleason, including how to be a dad and husband and how to keep things in perspective.

"It's such a long list," Lee said.

And with Gleason behind the effort, it's a list that will certainly get longer.

"Right now he's affecting the world more so now than he ever has," Indianapolis Colts linebacker D'Qwell Jackson said. "And it's infectious. That's one of the reasons why I'm here and one the reasons why everyone's here. Just to support, to bring more awareness to the illness. He's done a phenomenal job and has great supporters around him."
    SXSW screening coming soon.

http://schedule.sxsw.com/2016/events/event_FS19770

Section: Festival Favorites
    Language: English
    Year: 2016
    Runtime: 118min
    Gleason World Premiere w/ Scott Fujita, Pearl Jam's Mike McCready & more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc1sDWnPXR4
    https://www.facebook.com/PJActivism/posts/932893073472724

#‎HBD‬ to our friend, Team Gleason, inspiring conversations about ALS with his new film, ‪#‎Gleason‬ out this summer. Congrats on your ‪#‎SXSW‬ Audience Award for Festival Favorites!

http://www.people.com/article/drew-brees-gleason-als-friendship-nfl
    https://www.facebook.com/PJActivism/posts/985453974883300

So psyched for the ‪#‎GleasonMovie‬. In select theaters July 29. Just won Seattle International Film Festival's ‪#‎BestDocumentary‬ award.

Greetings from GLEASON HQ!

We have HUGE news! The official GLEASON trailer is now live on Yahoo! Be one of the first to catch a glimpse of this critically acclaimed film that was made possible with your ongoing support.

We want to bring Steve’s story to everyone, and you can help us go viral by sharing our newly released film trailer far and wide with friends and family, and by using #GleasonMovie.
    Steve, Michel and the GLEASON Team pose for photos at the New Orleans Premiere.
    Drew Brees arrives at the Orpheum Theater on Tuesday, June 14.

And that's not all! We are so excited to let you know that GLEASON will be appearing in select theaters throughout the country starting July 29th. For all the up to date information about when GLEASON will be hitting your hometown this summer, like us on Facebook and follow our tweets.

While big things are happening online, GLEASON is also creating buzz on the ground. This Tuesday, Drew Brees and the entire Saints roster joined us for the film’s New Orleans premiere at the Orpheum Theater. You can see more photos and highlights by following GLEASON on Instagram.

And one last thing before we go. We love hearing from our closest friends and supporters, so drop us a note anytime at hello@thegleasonproject.com.

Let’s do this!

Kimi, Scott, Lindsay and The GLEASON Team.
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    That trailer made me cry. It really does look like it's a fantastic film.
    @ Pearl Jam Activism

‪#‎Gleason‬ brought down the house at the New Orleans premiere of the Gleason Movie. Out in select theaters July 29.

‪#‎NoWhiteFlags‬ ‪#‎GleasonMovie‬ ‪#‎NOLA‬

https://www.yahoo.com/news/steve-gleason-brought-down-house-154501935.html

@ Team Gleason

Check out the official Gleason Movie poster and don't miss the film in select theaters 7/29. #GleasonMovie

- teamgleasonOne month until the Gleason Movie is in select theaters. Follow @gleasonmovie for more info. #teamgleason #gleasonmovie #nowhiteflags #pearljam
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    If someone sees theater listings please post. I've looked but don't yet see if/where they're posted.
    Cineplex theatres here in Canada ..
    http://www.cineplex.com/Movie/gleason
    August 12, 2016 | 1h 50m