Options

Sean Penn's 'interview' with El Chapo

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    edited January 2016
    rgambs said:

I think people are using preconceived opinions of Sean Penn to discredit him whenever they get a chance.

I think people give Sean Penn the benefit of the doubt because he is boys with a certain musician.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited January 2016
    rgambs said:

I think people are using preconceived opinions of Sean Penn to discredit him whenever they get a chance.

Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    I sure as hell wouldn't want to be linked to the capture of the biggest drug kingpin in the world and the death and capture of his lieutenants.

I don't think he took the potential risks as serious as he should have. These are guys that stitch peoples faces to soccer balls and hang them from bridges.
  • Options
    No talk about how the article is also fucking terrible and offers almost no insight into the guy?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

It never occurred to me to be bothered by this, and I don't really get why anyone is. I think it's pretty fucking interesting thing to do, actually. I don't understand what is supposed to be douchey about it.
    The liberal Ted Nugent? Gimme a break. That's silly.

By giving Guzman last say in the article he is serving as a mouth piece for a scumbag
    Oh, pooh, lol. You're over thinking it IMO.
    Not at all. You don't see anything wrong with telling the public a story that a man responsible for thousands of murders wants told? There's a reason he didn't go to anyone with dignity...
    Sorry, that's ridiculous.
    Where were you when Netflix made a whole critically acclaimed series about Pablo Escobar? And I think the WW2 analogy is apt. How many documentaries about Hilter's life are there? And serial killers? And war lords. Stalin. Etc etc etc etc. This is no different.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I totally agree.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

It never occurred to me to be bothered by this, and I don't really get why anyone is. I think it's pretty fucking interesting thing to do, actually. I don't understand what is supposed to be douchey about it.

By giving Guzman last say in the article he is serving as a mouth piece for a scumbag
    Not at all. You don't see anything wrong with telling the public a story that a man responsible for thousands of murders wants told? There's a reason he didn't go to anyone with dignity...
    Where were you when Netflix made a whole critically acclaimed series about Pablo Escobar? And I think the WW2 analogy is apt. How many documentaries about Hilter's life are there? And serial killers? And war lords. Stalin. Etc etc etc etc. This is no different.
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Ummm, it is quite different. Stalin and Hitler do not have final say about the content of the documentaries. For the sake of this stupid analogy, if Hitler had final say on the content of a documentary about his life, would you take it seriously?

Narcos is fucking awesome and is entertainment. This is supposed journalism, at its absolute worst.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
  • Options
    If Truman Capote gave Perry Edward Smith final say on "In Cold Blood", would the world consider it one of the great books of all time?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    If this had been Russell Crowe, would anyone here give half a fuck to defend him or is it because of a certain relationship with a certain musician?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Ummm, it is quite different. Stalin and Hitler do not have final say about the content of the documentaries. For the sake of this stupid analogy, if Hitler had final say on the content of a documentary about his life, would you take it seriously?

Narcos is fucking awesome and is entertainment. This is supposed journalism, at its absolute worst.
    Are you serious? I would fascinated to see a documentary that Hitler made about himself. I think most people would be.
    There is NOTHING wrong with a story that is allowed to be from a criminal's perspective. It is a legitimate perspective. ALL perspectives are legitimate, and btw, this is also entertainment and intrigue. I honestly have no idea what you're worried about here. What exactly is your concern? It is actually valuable to know Chapo's perspective on things. It's informative and relevant. It's not like he's got the final word or anything.

• Options

If this had been Russell Crowe, would anyone here give half a fuck to defend him or is it because of a certain relationship with a certain musician?

:lol: I have no idea. That's not where I am coming from. If it wasn't Sean Penn, but instead Barabara Walters or someone, would you have such a problem with it??
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Enkidu said:
    :lol:
    "Rolling Stone has editors, don't they?"
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options

If Truman Capote gave Perry Edward Smith final say on "In Cold Blood", would the world consider it one of the great books of all time?

I have no idea. I'm sure Capote would probably have made it work.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Are you serious? I would fascinated to see a documentary that Hitler made about himself. I think most people would be.
    There is NOTHING wrong with a story that is allowed to be from a criminal's perspective. It is a legitimate perspective. ALL perspectives are legitimate, and btw, this is also entertainment and intrigue. I honestly have no idea what you're worried about here. What exactly is your concern? It is actually valuable to know Chapo's perspective on things. It's informative and relevant. It's not like he's got the final word or anything.

Oh I agree it would be interesting and I would watch but that is very different from how this is positioned. Would you view it as journalism or propaganda?

Have you read it? he did have the final word?

My problem at the heart of it is that journalists who tell the truth about this guy are murdered but Sean penn Acts like his buddy, writes the story Guzman wants told and people give him credit. If penn had the balls to tell the actual story then I would be fine with it
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

You're not terribly familiar with the concepts of journalism or non fiction are you? I'm not trying to be a dick here, I just don't get the big deal of this.

El Chapo wanted his story out in his own words to make a movie one day and Sean Penn was used as a pawn to do that. This isn't journalism, it is honestly Sean Penn risking his life for something stupid.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

:lol: I have no idea. That's not where I am coming from. If it wasn't Sean Penn, but instead Barabara Walters or someone, would you have such a problem with it??
    I can promise you that Barbara Walters wouldn't give this guy final say, so no. If this were any celebrity posing as a journalist, I would have a problem with it
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

You're not terribly familiar with the concepts of journalism or non fiction are you? I'm not trying to be a dick here, I just don't get the big deal of this.

El Chapo wanted his story out in his own words to make a movie one day and Sean Penn was used as a pawn to do that. This isn't journalism, it is honestly Sean Penn risking his life for something stupid.
    I think I am - my entire university degree was all about that, lol.
    Why are you acting like Sean Penn is a journalist? How come you have pigeon-holed it like that? Sean Penn is an actor, writer, and director.
    I don't feel like Sean Penn risked his life.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

I can promise you that Barbara Walters wouldn't give this guy final say, so no. If this were any celebrity posing as a journalist, I would have a problem with it
    He doesn't have the final say. If a law were enacted stating that no one can ever write or talk about El Chapo again I suppose he would....
  • Options
    edited January 2016

PJ_Soul said:

"Posing" as a journalist? Huh? Sean Penn just went and did what he did. There were no expectations for him to meet. He can employ as much or as little journalistic integrity as he feels like precisely because he isn't a news journalist.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Where does this iron clad "chapo gets the final say" coming from?

Seems to me Penn gets the final say. That's how interviews work.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    And I wouldn't think any differently if it were Russell Crowe or Cameron Crowd. Would you??
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Yeah, I don't get it either.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

Penn did not get the final say and that is not how THIS interview worked. It was agreed upon before hand that prior to being published El Chapo would approve the content and he did.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

"Posing" as a journalist? Huh? Sean Penn just went and did what he did. There were no expectations for him to meet. He can employ as much or as little journalistic integrity as he feels like precisely because he isn't a news journalist.
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I would assume that if Rolling Stone publishes a non fiction story based on an interview with the biggest drug lord in the world, that whoever is in the byline, celebrity or not, is considered a journalist. Is that asking too much? Rolling Stone labeled him some type of journalist and gave him that credibility by publishing this the way they did. This isn't a story about cat videos on the internet, it is about one of the most violent human beings in the world.

The expectations he should meet are the expectations that Rolling Stone should have for their stories, which are clearly not very high.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    edited January 2016

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

Penn did not get the final say and that is not how THIS interview worked. It was agreed upon before hand that prior to being published El Chapo would approve the content and he did.
    So? I don't understand why this bothers you. Him approving something to be published isn't him getting the final word. Anyone can say anything they want about him and in reaction to this thing.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

So? I don't understand why this bothers you. Him approving something to be published isn't him getting the final word. Anyone can say anything they want about him and in reaction to this thing.
    Semantics. If he wanted things changed they would have been changed.

Do you think the NY Times would have published this? This type of nonsense belongs on Buzzfeed, not a publication with a pretty rich journalistic history.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    Yeah but if el Chapo was not apprehended everybody would of been cursin Penn out as to why he didn't turn him in damned if he did damned if he didn't , at least they got him stuff lol je this doesn't faze me ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    edited January 2016

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

Semantics. If he wanted things changed they would have been changed.

Do you think the NY Times would have published this? This type of nonsense belongs on Buzzfeed, not a publication with a pretty rich journalistic history.
    So you are simply looking at this from the perspective of a media snob? If it's not good enough for the NY Times in your opinion, it shouldn't exist?