I can't believe that there is no thread on the Cologne problem on New Year's Eve......

Seems like a real problem you people would be up on.

??????

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

Comments

• It would just turn into another thread attacking and defending eastern immigrants and refugees.
    No one gives a shit anymore.
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    I just heard about this yesterday, was actually quite shocked! Yes surprised I didn't read it here or see it on CNN. Just saw it on the MSN news page yesterday...crazy shit!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    i havent heard about it. i watched cnn last evening and did not see anything about it. only gun discussion.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Is it legit?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    rgambs said:

Is it legit?

Yes, it really happened. Authorities are bumbling around trying to find some of the people responsible. The mayor of Cologne (a woman) advised women that to prevent future incidents, they should keep other people at arm's length. It makes me imagine a crowd full of people holding their arms out.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited January 2016
    North African men comes to Germany and behaves like this, I hope they catch them and deport them to jail in their home country. Similar things has happend here too actually (also North African men for some reason)
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,341
    edited January 2016
    I have heard about it a couple of days ago. It sounds absolutely shocking, but there is lots of speculation as well. The things that are beginning to unfold in Germany at the moment are scary. Stuff like that just feeds the crowd of the "concerned citizens" and the people who are a bit too close to rightwing ideas. They feel justified to spew their hateful thoughts. I am just following this from a distance, but some of the comments on social media sound so hateful and aggressive that I am scared to think what might happen next. Not a good situation overall...
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Horrific and barbaric. While I don't think much will be done after the fact about this specific incident, hopefully they'll be able to prevent a recurrence in the future. And shame on the mayor of Koln. While her intent may have been good trying to warn women to keep men at arms' length, her message sure sounded like she was partly blaming the victims of this attack. The filthy perpetrators bear 100% of the responsibility for their actions. I don't care where you are, where you came from, what your religion, skin color, culture or customs are - men don't have the right to put hands on women without consent.

I also worry about how this plays out politically. It will certainly give fodder to the anti-immigration folks there. Germany has been a leader in accepting refugees into their country, and if they don't get a handle on this quickly, there will be backlash regardless of who actually committed these crimes. There is no evidence that they were refugees, and I'm guessing they likely weren't, but the refugees will also become victims of this attack.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited January 2016
    It is comical that anti-immigration folks are painted as devils when there is so much evidence that the immigrant crisis and terrorism is completely disrupting European life at the moment. Certainly I'm against racists and Nazi types, but for those who just want to stop immigration right now as they feel their way of life is threatened, it is hard to fault them.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've read "and the anti-immigration folks are now going to use this as an example to support their crazy ideas...." because I would have a lot of dollars. At some point the article/comment should read, "this is another example that supports the anti-immigration argument". I'm not saying which side is right, but stop portraying people as extremists when almost everyday they can find an example whether large or small to support their position.
    edited January 2016

It is comical that anti-immigration folks are painted as devils when there is so much evidence that the immigrant crisis and terrorism is completely disrupting European life at the moment. Certainly I'm against racists and Nazi types, but for those who just want to stop immigration right now as they feel their way of life is threatened, it is hard to fault them.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've read "and the anti-immigration folks are now going to use this as an example to support their crazy ideas...." because I would have a lot of dollars. At some point the article/comment should read, "this is another example that supports the anti-immigration argument". I'm not saying which side is right, but stop portraying people as extremists when almost everyday they can find an example whether large or small to support their position.

I actually agree with you here. I should have been more clear when I said anti-immigration folks. I was really referring to this event giving the organized anti-immigration movements some leverage. Those organized groups typically are the racist / neo-Nazi groups there. I think that people should always be concerned with immigration policies, numbers of immigrants coming in, support infrastructure in place to help them, their ability to assimilate, their employment prospects prior to entering the country, etc.. Immigration is a real issue everywhere and people should be concerned when those policies result in economic, criminal or cultural problems.

Perhaps I shouldn't have called them anti-immigration folks, as that was not specific enough.
    Post edited by jeffbr on
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,341
    edited January 2016
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
    Why is the emphasis here on this issue being placed on the immigration situation instead of on the horrific predation of women?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:

Why is the emphasis here on this issue being placed on the immigration situation instead of on the horrific predation of women?

Horrific was actually the first word I used in my post, and the predation of women was the first topic my post addressed, and I agree that should be the main focus. In this particular case I think immigration also has to be discussed in context. This was apparently an organized and orchestrated attack done by hundreds of young men. This wasn't a rainbow coalition of perpetrators, it was done apparently by North African immigrants. It would then follow that one might want to look more closely into immigration policies and practices in addition to many other things like a more active police presence and a greater emphasis on security, when attempting to mitigate against future occurrences of these types of events.
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I had a whole thing typed out and I deleted it cuz I can't even justify myself.

There are no easy answers.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    ldent42 said:

I got a easy answer for America..... don't let any of these fuckin animals in our country!!! I am sick of hearing about incidents like this all over Europe.
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    muskydan said:

ldent42 said:

I got a easy answer for America..... don't let any of these fuckin animals in our country!!! I am sick of hearing about incidents like this all over Europe.
    All over Europe? This is the first incident I've heard of in any European country but maybe ye"re more informed over in America...
  • muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

muskydan said:

ldent42 said:

All over Europe? This is the first incident I've heard of in any European country but maybe ye"re more informed over in America...
    I definitely am not more informed then someone who live there . So this is the first time you have heard of these refugees acting like savages? We must get different news over here then...
    muskydan said:

ldent42 said:

that aint even .... just no.

For one thing, the women were robbed too. This puts the incidents in an economic light too. Maybe if they were able to work, or if they had some kind of cash loan from the German gov't upon arrival and resettlement? I really don't know.
    Maybe don't let any more young men in? under 16 and above 55 only? Again, I don't know. That's why I deleted my comments earlier. I got nothing.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2016
    ^^^
    Our country that just recently accepted 25000 Syrian refugees but made stipulations that single Syrian males are not allowed.
    Unless gay, transgendered etc that would have caused hardship.

^^^
    Our country that just recently accepted 25000 Syrian refugees but made stipulations that single Syrian males are not allowed.

yea I remember hearing about that. Tbh I think they should have gone a bit further and eliminated the "single" designation. But then I sound like I'm advocating breaking up families, which obviously I don't think is a good idea, but by the same token I don't think that being a husband and father is an automatic "good guy" result.

So again, no easy answers.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I am shocked that these refugee would betray the country that let them in.
    Unless they are secret terrorist operatives?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

I am shocked that these refugee would betray the country that let them in.
    Unless they are secret terrorist operatives?

by the nature of the attack it's hard not to wonder.
    on the other hand, by the nature of the attack it seems more like a simple street gang.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    brianlux said:

Well, news organizations were slow to report because of the Muslim connection as the criminals of Middle Eastern origin. We trumpet the treatment of women and children in the Western world but excuse horrid treatment in the Middle East because that is part of their culture. The slow reporting on this story is a great example of how the brutal treatment of these women were not reported more quickly because of fear of implicating Muslims and/or Muslim refugees. If a black woman were attacked by white southern men in KKK garment do you not think that story wouldn't have been more about the KKK, and then Rolling Stone wouldn't have ran a story a week later about the rise of the Christian extremists in the South?

I don't think you can talk about the predation of women in this story and not move straight to Angela Merkel's position to allow millions of migrants into the country. Here is a story where 18 of the attackers were Muslim asylum seekers:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/09/world/europe/cologne-new-years-eve-attacks.html?referer=https://www.google.cl/

People like you who want Europe and the USA to take in all these migrants are going to view this story from a perspective where the last thing your brain will allow you to go is to acknowledge that migrant policy could have led to this incident. I think there is a problem in Europe and so I see this story and think these women didn't need to be attacked if their politicians hadn't traded protection of its citizens for political correctness.

Another article talking about rapes and harrassment in other cities of Germany, Finland, Austria.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/08/cologne-violence-suspects-include-asylum-seekersp

You are pretty respectful on this board but I am sure others on here will call me a right wing bigot, but you can't hide from the fact that there were coordinated assaults of women by migrants. These stories are not fake, and to get the government and media to acknowledge them is like pulling teeth because there is an agenda to protect, and the treatment of European women takes a backseat to it. So who really are the enemies of these women?
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2016
    ldent42 said:

^^^

yea I remember hearing about that. Tbh I think they should have gone a bit further and eliminated the "single" designation. But then I sound like I'm advocating breaking up families, which obviously I don't think is a good idea, but by the same token I don't think that being a husband and father is an automatic "good guy" result.

From our perspective forced marriages are taboo and fucked up.
    We believe that at the very least two people entered marriage by choice.
    As a man you must have had some balls at one point in your life to have a woman respect and want to be with you.
    Being a husband and a father in all elements of a relationship is not only the Canadian way it is also the non-fucked up eastern shit.

edit - Even though women belong in the kitchen I believe they are delicate flowers :grin:
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
    This thread...

ldent42 said:

^^^

From our perspective forced marriages are taboo and fucked up.
    We believe that at the very least two people entered marriage by choice.
    As a man you must have had some balls at one point in your life to have a woman respect and want to be with you.
    Being a husband and a father in all elements of a relationship is not only the Canadian way it is also the non-fucked up eastern shit.

edit - Even though women belong in the kitchen I believe they are delicate flowers :grin:
    I think the wires got crossed here. What I meant was I think they could've taken it a step further than just preventing single men from entering. Frankly, if anything it only encourages the "taboo forced marriage" because the easiest way to get around that is to get married. I wasn't disagreeing with you, or your country.

brianlux said:

Well, news organizations were slow to report because of the Muslim connection as the criminals of Middle Eastern origin. We trumpet the treatment of women and children in the Western world but excuse horrid treatment in the Middle East because that is part of their culture. The slow reporting on this story is a great example of how the brutal treatment of these women were not reported more quickly because of fear of implicating Muslims and/or Muslim refugees. If a black woman were attacked by white southern men in KKK garment do you not think that story wouldn't have been more about the KKK, and then Rolling Stone wouldn't have ran a story a week later about the rise of the Christian extremists in the South?

I don't think you can talk about the predation of women in this story and not move straight to Angela Merkel's position to allow millions of migrants into the country. Here is a story where 18 of the attackers were Muslim asylum seekers:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/09/world/europe/cologne-new-years-eve-attacks.html?referer=https://www.google.cl/
    you're right. you can't. However, out of the millions that were allowed in, how many of them committed these crimes? Less than 1%? (I'm honestly just guessing I'm really bad at math.) Hindsight is always 20/20 so we can look at this and go "what the fuck" but honestly there was no way of predicting it, no way of saying "maybe we just let in the women, children, elderly and disabled, and send everyone else back?"
    Oh I like that idea. Women, children, elderly and disabled (and their carers, obvi) only. That's my new refugee plan.

You're 10000000000% right, though. There is zero fucking excuse for this story getting swept under the proverbial rug. That mayor lady made some stupid fuckin comment too.
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited January 2016
    muskydan said:

muskydan said:

ldent42 said:

I definitely am not more informed then someone who live there . So this is the first time you have heard of these refugees acting like savages? We must get different news over here then...
    You are right, It was many riots, cars getting set on fire etc. last year.
    Still it's not uncommon that the police, ambulance and fire workers get attacked with throwing rocks etc. when just trying to do their job, it's upsetting.

Seems now Merkel is planning on bringing in tougher laws against immigrants that misbehave (that they loose the asylum right.) Also to protect good, well behaving immigrants.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Ok... friends of mine were in Cologne that night. They say it was horrific.

But, the men who grabbed the women were young, very drunk Africans... from what we know here we are not talking about Syrian refugees.
    The situation here is going worse and the people who really need help will get more and more problems because of what happened. All the haters got a lot of new shit to use for their petty-minded arguments to offend Foreigners. And the people who wasn't afraid before are going to get up against all of the refugees.

I am not saying we don't have to fight that people who act like that in Cologne... I think all of them have to leave the country directly... but we have to try to don't stop helping people who are in need and who are really thankful to get a chance to get through the war in their home country. We should not forget that we all would want to get help like that in the same situation.