Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

1646566676870»

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DCPosts: 6,949
    Since this is my birthday month I've been eating like it's going out of style for the past two weeks. I'm starting back on the exercise route in September. I already asked a couple co-workers to check up on me. They will probably ask How is exercising going? That sort of thing.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    I saw a recent picture of myself and I thought, Gym Time! I can't expect the same half-assed exercise behaviors to give me different results, eh?

The last time I joined a gym was in 2009, and I rarely went. This one is a few blocks away from my work. I had a tour and it seems average+, but I can work with what they have. 

Oi!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 11,384
    Gym life.

I'm still trucking along, excelling at mediocrity lol
    I was going to back off on overall volume, but I never did.  Maybe Nov. 1st.
    Sometime in the next week or so I will hit a new all-time low in weight, muscle growth is very slow but steady, same with strength increases...very slow, but I am losing weight so even staying flat in strength through that is a victory.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Signed my name on the dotted line at the gym. Yay!
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness San DiegoPosts: 2,444
    So.... it's been a while.

How is everyone doing?

Somehow, I keep making gains. I shocked the hell out of my trainer the other day by doing three sets of six unassisted dips. :-) Yesterday, I bumped that up to eight. :-D  I'm squatting and deadlifting 145, and I no longer feel like I'm about to die while I'm doing it (which means my trainer probably will up the weight tomorrow....).

I'm not putting in the effort I would like to be making on my runs. Dark mornings definitely have been a factor there, along with lots of chaos (we're moving!). But I'm hoping to get that back on track... tomorrow.

And I also have to say, I feel good about how I look! How often does a woman my age -- or any woman -- say that? I'm not doing any of this for appearances, but looking great certainly is a nice side benefit. :-)

What are you all doing to stay on top of things during the holiday season?
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New JerseyPosts: 3,146
    I quit smoking 16 months ago and have weight to lose. I have been very sedentary over the same period of time so I need to get back to where I was. I'm not a gym person. I won't go. I love yoga, which was fine when I was just maintaining. Now I need to figure out what will work with my goals, age, lifestyle, limitations. 

So I'm on the weight loss train too. I'm good with the healthy eating. I have to start to move and do so in the most effective method. 

Let you know when I actually get started.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness San DiegoPosts: 2,444
    Good luck finding what works for you! My kids' doctor always said, the "best" exercise is the kind you will do regularly.

I'm a runner; it's a sickness. I sure do get tired of hearing "but what about your knees??!?!?" That''s usually from cyclists, who are super-keen on converting me to bike-riding. But I don't want biking to be my primary form of cardio. So... I smile and keep running. Do what works for you; it's your body, after all.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BCPosts: 8,803
    I've been climbing up a storm the last few months. Because my schedule was up in the air over the summer and early fall, I focused on my endurance (with auto-belays) and on bouldering, since I didn't always have a belay partner, and I've really noticed the difference. My climbing skills have improved and I'm easily sending the 5-10a-ds, which sometimes gave me a struggle a few months back. My challenge level is now 5-11s and I've sent one 5-12, though it damn near killed me ;). I've joined a drop in class for climbers climbing 5-11s and higher that runs at my gym once monthly and have enjoyed it so far. I was nervous before the first one, thinking that they were going to throw us onto 5-12s and shout at us, but no, it was very chill. Climbers are generally very chill :lol:

Still cycling almost every day. It's a bit more of a challenge when the ride home is pitch black, and once we get ice on the roads I will have my daily freak out over it, but I'll get through.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SCPosts: 4,307
    I have not been doing so great with working out. I hurt myself lifting twice over the summer and other commitments really limited my gym time until late. I'm basically starting over and going to build back up to where I was last spring. I need to lose some weight, but I find that I have a hard time losing, so don't really have any goals for that. Portion control and late night snacking are my downfall...just need to get some better self-discipline. 
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SCPosts: 4,307
    Congrats on quitting smoking, njnancy. I quit a few years ago and am thankful I did.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New JerseyPosts: 3,146
    Congrats on quitting smoking, njnancy. I quit a few years ago and am thankful I did.
    Thanks. I'm glad I did also. I was getting to the point that I just didn't think it was going to happen. But then it did.  Congrats to you also, not easy!!

I need to take advantage of my hopefully healthier lungs now - I've always been more concerned with being flexible than with cardio or muscle and that will continue as it's been a thing my whole life. But I know that I need to work out my heart and so I need to find something I like. 

I usually have dinner late, so that could probably be considered late night snacking. 

@curmudgeoness ; You're right - if I don't like it, I won't do it. All of the runners that I've known have been just like you. 

@oftenreading ; You have that fear of ice thing, right? It's so congested here that cycling isn't appealing; although people do it. Bike lanes are not really available so they are constantly getting harassed by car drivers.