Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,837
    rgambs said:
    Is there a consensus on what constitutes non-stop push-ups?  Are any pauses in push-up position allowed at all?  Only pauses 2 seconds or less seems like a fair compromise to me.

100 with no pauses is my goal, so far I'm at 60 with 2 or 3 two second pauses.
    Yeah I would say a 2 second pause is a ok.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Yeah, I agree with mcgruff10. A short pause in position is ok to me. You're doing this to better yourself, so who cares? It's not like you're stopping to sit down or anything like that.
  • Options
    Oh and good job curmudgeoness. Those feet elevated pushups are difficult. It's the bodyweight equivalent of incline bench press. When I had a trainer, one of them liked to end a workout with them. You really feel the burn doing them as a finisher.
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I go for a stroll every morning, and try not to eat anything after 6p.m in the evening. I slowly have lost a stone and a half over the past year or so. The hardest part of shaping up for me is the lifestyle choices. It's so difficult for me not to just eat junk every day of the week. Lots of fruit nowadays.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,837
    edited February 2018
    Yeah, I agree with mcgruff10. A short pause in position is ok to me. You're doing this to better yourself, so who cares? It's not like you're stopping to sit down or anything like that.
    I don't see gambs cheating in any way.  
    What to do today? I'm still under the weather so I'm thinking a run is out.

I was talking to my Uncle yesterday; in his younger years he was one hell of a runner.  He told me his personal bests were 14:24 for a 5k and 4:10 for the mile!  Damn that is fast!
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I go for a stroll every morning, and try not to eat anything after 6p.m in the evening. I slowly have lost a stone and a half over the past year or so. The hardest part of shaping up for me is the lifestyle choices. It's so difficult for me not to just eat junk every day of the week. Lots of fruit nowadays.
    Fruit can be tricky! Awesome job!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    How do you mean fruit can be tricky? I find that I get sugar crashes some days if I eat too much of it. Strange to crash from that sort of sugar really.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    How do you mean fruit can be tricky? I find that I get sugar crashes some days if I eat too much of it. Strange to crash from that sort of sugar really.
    Lots of sugar, naturally occurring sugar, in fruit.
    So, like everything else, eat it in moderation and spread out over time not eaten all at once.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I'm going to start tracking my push-ups, I've got 110 in so far today. Two 30s, two 20's and a 10 before my run, and I plan on peppering some sets throughout the day.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Fresh fruit is always better for you than “junk”, even though it has sugar in it, so enjoy! 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    I read this article yesterday, and I thought it was interesting enough to share here:

http://https//www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/middle-age-is-not-too-late-to-increase-cardiac-fitness-studies-show/2018/01/25/2708d116-faeb-11e7-ad8c-ecbb62019393_story.html?utm_term=.b85e7189d651  

Best line in the article:
    “Exercise is so important that people should think of it as part of their personal hygiene, like brushing their teeth.”
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Nice article curm!

And yes I agree with the above. Sugar. Even tho it's natural. But I'm strictly speaking from a losing weight perspective. Nothing more nothing less. Can be tricky when weight loss is the goal. Now maintaining a healthy diet, great!
  • Options
    Plugging along through the week!  Don't feel great, but I feel good.  I feel like if I got 7 hours of sleep I'd be Superman.
    Only 8.25 miles so far for the week, but 650 push-ups so far.  I did a set of 50 without a single pause today, so that's progress.
    22.5 miles for the month so far.  That puts me pretty close to the 100/month pace, so we will see how it goes.  The month is just getting started.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    rgambs said:
    Plugging along through the week!  Don't feel great, but I feel good.  I feel like if I got 7 hours of sleep I'd be Superman.
    Only 8.25 miles so far for the week, but 650 push-ups so far.  I did a set of 50 without a single pause today, so that's progress.
    22.5 miles for the month so far.  That puts me pretty close to the 100/month pace, so we will see how it goes.  The month is just getting started.
    Excellent start to your monthly goal, rgambs!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    I am in a similar situation... due to an endocrine disorder and a bad case of the lazies I have gained an unhealthy amount of weight over the past 15 years. Now I am trying to make healthy life style changes, like saying no to pizza, cake and all that, which can be so hard, esp. when living with other people who do not care or keep forgetting that you're trying to be healthy. 
    Instead I am counting calories and I started working out most days. 
    Good on you for keeping it up and losing so much, I know it's not easy! What helps me a lot at the moment are youtube videos that talk about nutrition and weight loss. I know there is a lot of nonsense and contradicting opinions out there. I simply settled on one particular youtuber, whose videos make the most sense to me. Maybe there's a youtuber out there, that can help you staying motivated. 
  • Options
    In 5 hours and 45 minutes I'm gonna stagger out of bed and get ready to head to the gym for my 13th straight day to finish this "week".  

I'm going to test my max rep push-up again after a run, and then lift legs and do somewhat more than 150 push-ups to get beyond 1000 for the week.  
  • Options
    5 hours now, booo!
    Children.
    :anguished:
  • Options
    I didn't make it, 3.75 hours was not sufficient.  Oh well, off day today instead of tomorrow.
  • Options
    Workout week is over.
    Did 500 push-ups in 2 hours today, and wrecked my legs.
    Totals for the week:
    21.25 miles...not bad not great, just barely on pace for 100 miles for the month
    1,350 push-ups...nice total, but I need to get my sets higher.
    Weight is steady but fat is slowly melting off and being replaced with muscle.
  • Options
    U da man gambs :grin:
  • Options
    Wow went way over on the sweets today. I'm not too upset :lol:
  • Options
    How is everyone doing?  
    I got 7 hours of sleep last night and it showed in the gum, I crushed it.
    3 hour workout including 5 miles in 47 minutes and a new best (by alot) of 600 pushups in 60 minutes.
  • Options
    Lots of sugar, naturally occurring sugar, in fruit.
    So, like everything else, eat it in moderation and spread out over time not eaten all at once.
    Yes. That's what I thought you probably meant. I found that out the hard way a couple of days where suddenly in the evening I felt like the floor was coming up from me. I realised I was getting a sugar crash. It was nowhere near the same level of discomfort as when crashing off of actual junk food though, so that was something. I haven't been doing too well with the walking this week but that's mainly due to work schedules.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    How is everyone doing?  
    3 hour workout including 5 miles in 47 minutes and a new best (by alot) of 600 pushups in 60 minutes.
    I've been getting some good workouts in the last couple of weeks. Hit a new squat pr today. 245 pounds! Even though my goal was 255, I'm pretty proud of 245. Squats are definitely my weakness in the big barbell movements.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    How is everyone doing?  
    I've been getting some good workouts in the last couple of weeks. Hit a new squat pr today. 245 pounds! Even though my goal was 255, I'm pretty proud of 245. Squats are definitely my weakness in the big barbell movements.
    I don't know how people squat heavy, I can't do it.  I bench more than I squat, but I suppose that's fairly common.

8 days left for the month.
    I'm on pace to hit my goals of 100 miles and 5000 pushups, but I'm going to need to stay diligent to make it.  I started a workout calendar for the new year and I'm pretty proud of the fact that it is 100% rigidly honest, I never round up or fudge any numbers.  I used to do that a bit but I've cut it out entirely to keep myself on it.
    I will not be meeting my goal of 100 push-ups without pause.  Not happening.  I get stuck between 40 and 55 every time.  I hit 60 once, but dropped at 45 three times in a row.  So, knowing it ouldnt happen I accepted likely failure and set another goal, 5000 for the month.  On Feb 28th I'm going to do a total blowout test and see what I can do.  I will assume the position and stay there as long as I can, pumping out reps with pauses and breaks as needed, but never leaving strict plank and completing reps at least every 5 seconds.  Hopefully I can hit 100 in less than 5 minutes. 
    I can see how, if the rules for non-stop only includo staying in position, thousands would be possible.  I did 600 in 60 minutes, but that was sets of 25 and 30, I can see how people could just do sets of 5 for hours on end.

Any suggestions for a challenge next month?
    I need to do a pull-up month and a leg month at some point, I figure a pull-up month should be during or just before boating/pool season for obvious reasons.  April and May will be weight loss months.  I guess I should suck it up and do leg month.  :bawling:
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    How is everyone doing?  
    I don't know how people squat heavy, I can't do it.  I bench more than I squat, but I suppose that's fairly common.

I'm on pace to hit my goals of 100 miles and 5000 pushups, but I'm going to need to stay diligent to make it.  I started a workout calendar for the new year and I'm pretty proud of the fact that it is 100% rigidly honest, I never round up or fudge any numbers.  I used to do that a bit but I've cut it out entirely to keep myself on it.
    I will not be meeting my goal of 100 push-ups without pause.  Not happening.  I get stuck between 40 and 55 every time.  I hit 60 once, but dropped at 45 three times in a row.  So, knowing it ouldnt happen I accepted likely failure and set another goal, 5000 for the month.  On Feb 28th I'm going to do a total blowout test and see what I can do.  I will assume the position and stay there as long as I can, pumping out reps with pauses and breaks as needed, but never leaving strict plank and completing reps at least every 5 seconds.  Hopefully I can hit 100 in less than 5 minutes. 
    I can see how, if the rules for non-stop only includo staying in position, thousands would be possible.  I did 600 in 60 minutes, but that was sets of 25 and 30, I can see how people could just do sets of 5 for hours on end.

I need to do a pull-up month and a leg month at some point, I figure a pull-up month should be during or just before boating/pool season for obvious reasons.  April and May will be weight loss months.  I guess I should suck it up and do leg month.  :bawling:
    The weight isn't bad on my legs when squatting (it's bad the next day though lol). My problem is getting comfortable with the weight on my back.

Don't give up on the 100 goal. It may take more than a month to get there, but if you keep at it you'll get that 100. 5000 for the month is impressive though. Kudos to you for that.

A pull up challenge would be good. I think more people would do an abs challenge right before boating/pool season. Everybody wants to show off their 6-pack (if they have it).
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    How is everyone doing?  

The weight isn't bad on my legs when squatting (it's bad the next day though lol). My problem is getting comfortable with the weight on my back.

Don't give up on the 100 goal. It may take more than a month to get there, but if you keep at it you'll get that 100. 5000 for the month is impressive though. Kudos to you for that.

A pull up challenge would be good. I think more people would do an abs challenge right before boating/pool season. Everybody wants to show off their 6-pack (if they have it).
    Yeah I don't think that's happening lol
    If I lose another 20 lbs maybe, but even when I was 145lbs (180 now) and fit as a fiddle (competitive varsity wrestler) I didn't have visible abs.

I think leg month is the only responsible option because it's the least appealing.  Leg days suck and actually giving more than 75% effort is really hard to do.  It's not a strength or an aesthetic strong point so the psychological feedback is weak and discouraging.
    I'd much rather do a back or arm focus, but I already give it my all on those days, twice a week.  I've seen a few studies that show that leg workouts increase muscle and strength gains in the upper body, so I'm hoping that plays out.
    I saw one specifically that showed the best upper body gains through pairing high rep hypertrophy leg workouts with low rep strength workouts for upper body.  That suits a "leg month" pretty well.  I can set a goal for total squats and I can bust out sets of 25-50 as filler between intense, heavy upper sets.
  • Options
    Deadlift test day today. New max at 265! Really pumped about that. Followed that with a pretty intense back/biceps session. Gonna sleep well tonight!
  • Options
    Deadlift test day today. New max at 265! Really pumped about that. Followed that with a pretty intense back/biceps session. Gonna sleep well tonight!
    Nice pull!  Beast mode!
    I am still on pace to meet my goals but I'm getting run down.

My last off day was 9 days ago and there are 5 days left in the month, I don't think I can afford to take one off unless I'm going to have a monster day to make up for it.
    Today was 300 push-ups and 4 miles, plus some accessory work.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Nice pull!  Beast mode!
    I am still on pace to meet my goals but I'm getting run down.

My last off day was 9 days ago and there are 5 days left in the month, I don't think I can afford to take one off unless I'm going to have a monster day to make up for it.
    Today was 300 push-ups and 4 miles, plus some accessory work.
    Thanks! I felt like a beast after that pull lol. Inching closer to my goal of 315 by year end.

I've got faith in you and you can meet your goals. Get it done!