Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    You know you got a good workout in when the DOMS starts setting in after 6 hours :triumph:
    It was my first go around with Rear foot elevated split squats, and I do believe I will be going back to those extensively!  Overload the quads and posterior chain with minimal to no spinal compression?  Yes, please.

I wonder if I will be able to walk tomorrow.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Does anyone know of any 5ks taking place in the Seattle/Vancouver area during the week of the PJ shows? August 11th weekend
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    Does anyone know of any 5ks taking place in the Seattle/Vancouver area during the week of the PJ shows? August 11th weekend

It's a bit early to know, since many shorter races won't start advertising this far out. But you can check a website like http://www.runningintheusa.com/  now and closer to August.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    ... maybe put a bug in Ten Club's ear about sponsoring a 5K/10K with proceeds going to local charities?
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    ... maybe put a bug in Ten Club's ear about sponsoring a 5K/10K with proceeds going to local charities?
    Great idea! and thanks for the web link. Ill keep an eye on it
  • Options
    Thought I injured some soft tissue in my upper ribcage area yesterday, hurt all day but never severely.
    Feels 95% today so it must be fine. 
    Weeks off to a good start, 13.5 miles and 3 hard lifts so far.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,830
    Gambs I m really enjoying push ups. Up to 3x16 sets and the back/shoulders are feeling good. Hit up legs on Sunday, back/biceps and abs yesterday and did some pushups today. Gotta hit up the cardio tomorrow. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    What do you guys do for abs?
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    Push-ups are a classic and only one other guy does them at my gym.  I don't know why, they are just an all around great exercise, and they make great filler between sets.  I superset push-ups with cable crossovers and the peck deck every time because you just get a great pump and stretch.

I revisited my push-up max this morning, I did 60 straight, with 2 second pauses at 35 and 50.  
    Now that I've tested my max, what should be my goal?  Dare I shoot for 100?  And when should my deadline be?
  • Options
    I only work abs during backpacking season for stability, and even then it's just 2 circuits through the various machines in the ab room per month.
    Strength training in which you always control the weight with good form gives you all the ab strength you need for forward and back stability, so a little twisting work and side to side motion brings it all up to speed.

Core strength is very important for competitive athletes in many fields, but I think it's importance has been way overblown for the average Joe/Jill. 
    Of course, if you are skinny enough to show them off, then they have importance in that way, but most folks have enough subcutaneous fat to keep them hidden.
  • Options
    What do you guys do for abs?
    Hmm. Lots of stuff? I read once upon a time that changing up what you do regularly is the key to success with core work. I'm not certain that that's true, but it's what I do and it keeps me from getting bored. And I am lean enough to show them off, LOL.
    I work with a trainer several days/ week. Sometimes we use machines, sometimes a slant board, sometimes a Swiss ball or a Bosu ball, sometimes kettlebells. I try to hit all parts of the core, so obliques and lower back extensions as well as upper and lower abs. reverse crunches, regular crunches, planks, side planks w/leg raises, leg raises, all kinds of stuff. I suggest just starting by Googling ab workouts and choose exercises based on what's available to you (do you have a gym membership? are you working out at home? If at home, what sort of equipment do you have?).

FWIW, I spend about fifteen minutes/ day on core. I'm told that a lot of people neglect it, but, as a woman, after having kids I was, let's say, highly motivated to work on that part of myself. As with anything, charging in and trying to go hard-core if you haven't been doing a lot of core work is a good way to hurt yourself. So, take it easy to start.

• Options
    Got my miles in for the month: 275!
  • Options
    Gosh, that's a ton of miles!
  • Options
    I got 82 in for the month, which is not counting cooldown mileage.  I only count miles run in 10 minutes or less.
    I feel pretty good about that total, I'm pretty sure it's the most I've done, I never kept track back when I was wrestling and in phenomenal shape. 

I guess I need to shoot for one hundred now.
    I'm already shooting for 100 push-ups without pausing, might as well make it a centenary month.

• Options
    rgambs said:
    Gosh, that's a ton of miles!

It's the price of sanity, for me. Plus, it's really, really nice here.
  • Options
    For years, I ran 40-45 miles/ week. It was all I could fit into my schedule, with kids at home, etc. I maintained my weight but didn't really see a lot of performance improvements, despite doing speedwork, etc. Now, I have chronic health issues that probably were factors, but, still.

Last year, I gradually increased my mileage to 65 miles/week. I also lift regularly and lost a fair amount of body fat along the way (went from 19-20% to 14%). I'm now much faster than I was two years ago. My "long slow run" pace now is faster than my half-marathon PR was two years ago -- and I've done exactly four speed workouts in those two years. I never would have thought that I could run an easy fifteen miles at an 8:50 pace, but it's my new normal. I can't complain about that.
  • Options
    Awesome stuff guys!!! 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    My fitness has taken a nose dive lately. The busyness of the Christmas season cut a hole in my climbing time but I was all set to get back to it after Christmas, but in early January my mom had a stroke and everything changed. Right now my life is cycle to work, do a day’s work, cycle to the hospital, visit with mom for and hour and a half or so, cycle home, scrounge dinner, more work and then head to bed. There’s no time that isn’t spoken for any more. She’ll be in hospital another month or so. I’d like to think things will ease up when she’s home with my dad but I suspect they’ll actually be worse, as otherwise all the care will fall to him. 

The only bright side is the increase in cycling. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    My fitness has taken a nose dive lately. The busyness of the Christmas season cut a hole in my climbing time but I was all set to get back to it after Christmas, but in early January my mom had a stroke and everything changed. Right now my life is cycle to work, do a day’s work, cycle to the hospital, visit with mom for and hour and a half or so, cycle home, scrounge dinner, more work and then head to bed. There’s no time that isn’t spoken for any more. She’ll be in hospital another month or so. I’d like to think things will ease up when she’s home with my dad but I suspect they’ll actually be worse, as otherwise all the care will fall to him. 

The only bright side is the increase in cycling. 
    Sorry to hear about your Mother!
    Fitness comes and goes, you will get back on the horse when you get a chance, climbers can't be held down long, this I know.
  • Options
    Does anybody else have any February goals?
    I'm going to work toward 100 push-ups without pausing, and I think I can get there.
    I'm also going to work toward 100 miles, but I think I will fall short.

I meant to have a specific goal for January but I suppose I forgot.

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    My goal is weight loss. 1lb weekly! Same ol same ol.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    I haven't thought too much about goals, but now that you mention it:
    I'm running a half-marathon next weekend, and I'm hoping to set a solid PR, and maybe even win my age division.
    I did my first-ever pull-up yesterday! Woot! So I can see myself working on building up reps there.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    rgambs said:
    Does anybody else have any February goals?
    I'm going to work toward 100 push-ups without pausing, and I think I can get there.
    I'm also going to work toward 100 miles, but I think I will fall short.

I meant to have a specific goal for January but I suppose I forgot.

Survival. 

I’m only half joking. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    :hug: Often 
  • Options
    29.25 miles this week, 4.25 over my best so far.
    2 leg days, 2 back days, 2 chest days.

Good week.
  • Options
    Was sick this week so I didn’t do any cardio but got all my lifting in. Got some dumbbells for home and man what a difference it makes when you can take your time at home.  Gambs I can now do 20 push-ups in a row no problem, up from 13 last week. I m sure I can do more but I have to know my limits because of my back. So now I am doing 3x20 push-ups three days a week on top of lifting. I d like to Be able to do 40 push-ups in a row without stopping by the end of the month. 
  • Options
    :clap: you all :rock_on:
  • Options
    Push-ups: my trainer had me doing them the other day with my feet up on a bench. I was so proud of myself I had him get video of me so I could post it on Instagram. =) I think I've been walking with a bit of a swagger in my step ever since, LOL.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Haven't been to the gym in over a week. Sometimes life just doesn't let you do what you want. Oh well. Gonna get back to it Monday. 

For y'all wanting to do pushups, check out http://hundredpushups.com It's a site that has a 6 week plan that claims you will be able to do 100 nonstop. I'm probably going to try it out in a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Is there a consensus on what constitutes non-stop push-ups?  Are any pauses in push-up position allowed at all?  Only pauses 2 seconds or less seems like a fair compromise to me.

100 with no pauses is my goal, so far I'm at 60 with 2 or 3 two second pauses.