Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    I love the interesting nature of biomechanics.
    I also use a thumbless grip on both presses and that limits the shoulder rotation.

Gotta be easy on your shoulders, they are a weakish joint and they get used with almost all lifts.
    I used to assist in shoulder surgeries and that's not something anybody wants!
    Planks directly your shoulders?  Maybe my form sucks. (And I have two herniated discs so I have to be extra careful.) games, I also don’t do much of anything over my shoulder I.e. military press 
    did back and biceps at the gym today. 

If planks are hurting your shoulders, my guess would be that your shoulders are too forward. That or you retract them too much during the exercise.

I hate planks though. So high on the level of suckiness. :lol:
    Thank you for the advice, I'll try to pay more attention to my shoulders.  And yes, planks suck. lol
    Hope it helps you out.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    rgambs said:
    CrossFit games have been keeping me motivated on the treadmill
    I've  watched The Crossfit Games periodically and my takeaway is that NO woman should  have an 8-pack!! :fearful:
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    rgambs said:
    CrossFit games have been keeping me motivated on the treadmill
    I've  watched The Crossfit Games periodically and my takeaway is that NO woman should  have an 8-pack!! :fearful:
    And your opinion on how some woman should look and what exercise she does is relevant because......?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I'd not reject a single one of those ladies.
    Not sure I'd want that full-time, but yeah, it's hot in it's own way.
    Those ladies put us all to shame, shattering preconceived notions of female fragility, it's badass.
    Half of them have the physique I'm shooting for.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Question: it s snowing here bad today so the trails will be a muddy mess. What kind of cardio do you guys do at home? Burpees are a no go for me. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    I'm at the gym at noon....yuck.
    Crazy busy, 6 guys walking around nipples out, all of them plus 3 more with very bad ILS (imaginary lat syndrome) 
    Boooo!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Question: it s snowing here bad today so the trails will be a muddy mess. What kind of cardio do you guys do at home? Burpees are a no go for me. 
    I did lunges in a foot of snow yesterday, it's making leg day difficult right now.
    Lunges, air squats, and push-ups are my go tos.
  • Options
    If I were to do cardio at home, it would probably be something with repetitive jumping. That always gets my heart rate going. Jump rope, jumping jacks, squat jumps (those are killer), etc.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Crazy busy, 6 guys walking around nipples out, all of them plus 3 more with very bad ILS (imaginary lat syndrome) 
    Boooo!
    You said you go to Planet Fitness? I didn't think that kind of stuff was allowed there?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Boooo!
    You said you go to Planet Fitness? I didn't think that kind of stuff was allowed there?
    They nix the gallon jugs, but they allow the nipples unfortunately.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,249
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Boooo!
    They nix the gallon jugs, but they allow the nipples unfortunately.

It seems to me that that problem could be solved by having the ladies spend a morning with theirs out, too. Not that I think that would have any effect at the gym I go to -- posters of half-naked women (and men) cover the walls as it is. But the people at "my" gym know what they're doing, in general.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    @mcgruff10

Winter cardio: Depending on how serious you are about it, and speaking as someone who used to live in NW NJ --

1) invest in a GOOD treadmill (I have a Landice with over 10,000 miles on it);

2) Invest in Smartwool socks and trail shoes (trail shoes will have better treads and/or will be waterproof or will drain faster), and hit the trails anyway. That feeling of added virtue that you get burns more calories, I'm certain. ;-)  E.g., I run in Brooks Adrenalines, and they have an ASR model that drains quickly, as well as a GTX model that is waterproof.

3) Gym membership?

4) Make it a HIIT day -- burpees, etc.

But, in general, having the right gear will allow you to run in almost any weather. I bought hand warmers by the case and have several pairs of Polartec stretch tights.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I did lunges in a foot of snow yesterday, it's making leg day difficult right now.
    Lunges, air squats, and push-ups are my go tos.
    God bless you!

Lunges are hard by itself!!!
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    @mcgruff10

Winter cardio: Depending on how serious you are about it, and speaking as someone who used to live in NW NJ --

2) Invest in Smartwool socks and trail shoes (trail shoes will have better treads and/or will be waterproof or will drain faster), and hit the trails anyway. That feeling of added virtue that you get burns more calories, I'm certain. ;-)  E.g., I run in Brooks Adrenalines, and they have an ASR model that drains quickly, as well as a GTX model that is waterproof.

3) Gym membership?

But, in general, having the right gear will allow you to run in almost any weather. I bought hand warmers by the case and have several pairs of Polartec stretch tights.

Just sayin. 

Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Thanks for responding about breathing while running curm. I'll breathe how I want lol!

Thank you all for posting! Keeps me motivated!

AND I too will never give up the foods I love. Was it often that mentioned that? I am trying to lose weight and once I'm done I will maintain and mix it up more. But I look like I do because I didn't care to understand food. And I wasn't taking care of myself. It's not about giving up foods I love. It's about I have to make changes. And you're way more active than me biking every where. I commute in my car. 
  • Options
    @mcgruff10

3) Gym membership?

excellent advice. thank you!
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    @mcgruff10

3) Gym membership?

Just sayin. 

LOL. Well, you won't want to hear this, but there are things called Yak Trax, like chains for your running shoes, that you can strap on in icy conditions.

That said, ice and sub-zero wind chills were the two things that kept me indoors. I lived in a hilly area, and ice made things treacherous.
  • Options
    Another one in the books, good work even with the yahoos.

2.5 miles
    4x10 squats
    5x10 upright row dropset
    6x10 linear leg press
    5x10 upright row dropset
    4x10 seated leg press
    4x10 dumbell lateral raise dropset
    4x10 leg extension dropset
    2x20 squats
    4x10 upright row dropset
    2.5 miles

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    edited January 2018
    @mcgruff10

3) Gym membership?

If I may add to the trail shoe suggestion.....
    High top if possible, waterproof  (gore--tex) and maybe  some micro-spikes.
    I prefer LA Sportiva and Salomon brand trail shoes.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

2.5 miles
    4x10 squats
    5x10 upright row dropset
    6x10 linear leg press
    5x10 upright row dropset
    4x10 seated leg press
    2x20 squats
    4x10 upright row dropset
    2.5 miles

I hate lateral raises - hate them. But I have to admit, my shoulders look amazing, so I whine and sometimes curse my way through them. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:

2.5 miles
    4x10 squats
    5x10 upright row dropset
    6x10 linear leg press
    5x10 upright row dropset
    4x10 seated leg press
    2x20 squats
    4x10 upright row dropset
    2.5 miles

I hate lateral raises - hate them. But I have to admit, my shoulders look amazing, so I whine and sometimes curse my way through them. 
    It's a deep burn, they hurt more than a muscle that size has a right to hurt.
    But, yeah, if you want round shoulders it's the only thing you can do to get 'em.  There's no boulder shoulder plan that can skirt them, unless your just genetically blessed in that factor.

I love how everyone has muscles and muscle groups that appear and perform beyond their others and the average without special attention and some that lag no matter how hard you hit them.

I have chicken legs, even back when I could do pistol squats they were ski poles.  On the flip side I have pecs that appear to be capable of twice the weight they can actually move.
    I've seen guys with damn near concave chests that can outbench me over here with my man-bra.
  • Options
    Yeah Lateral raises really do burn. I just started doing them and totally love/hate them. 
  • Options
    :lol: gambs - I noticed growing up the scrony boys in gym were not only fast they were crazy strong too.
  • Options
    I liked the calendar idea so I started one too!

• Options
     I'm super jealous you get time to yourself like that. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:

What the heck happened on January 10th?!?! No excuses bud!
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
     I'm super jealous you get time to yourself like that. 
    It's all between 4 and 8 am, while the family is sleeping.
    I get up at 4, 20 minutes to get moving, half hour into town, workout for 2 and a half hours and then head home to collect the morning's eggs and fry them up for the sleepers on my off days, and on my work days I do the same thing without coming home to make eggs.  I only work 4 days a week, sometimes 3.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:

What the heck happened on January 10th?!?! No excuses bud!
    Big red X, that's what happened lol
    Work meeting and snowstorm sidelined me, but I should probably be taking Wednesday off anyways. 
  • Options
    AT home: legs And cardio. Did nine rounds of cardio which consisted of jumping jacks, quick feet and high knee raises. 
  • Options
    So January I have been focused on shoulder growth, I think I'm going to make a special focus each month to keep myself moving toward goals.
    I think February is going to be pull-up month, I've been slacking, only doing 10-20 per week, and I don't think I could do more than 5 strict form or 10 regular.
    I'd like to get to muscle-up territory, but I won't hold my breath.