Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Legs and back for me today. Why is it that every time I want to squat, the squat rack is always taken? Oh well, maybe I'll squat Thurs or Fri. Got in some great deadlifts though.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Legs and back for me today. Why is it that every time I want to squat, the squat rack is always taken? Oh well, maybe I'll squat Thurs or Fri. Got in some great deadlifts though.
    For me it s always the fly machine that is always full when I need it. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    I only made it a half hour running lol. 
    Oh well, still got 2 workouts in and with only beef jerky for lunch, no breakfast (unless you count a protein drink) I am in a caloric deficit on food and workouts, not counting metabolic rate and 6 hours of physical labor.
     I'm down 3 lbs this afternoon, which is a good daytime drop.
    Started the new year at 185.2, so I'm going to round that down and crush my way to 165 through sheer fucking grit.
    I m right around 185 and have a similar goal of 165-168. Yesterday I did 3.25 miles on the elliptical and did biceps/back. Today I did abs.  
    I don't train abs.
    I've read quite a few times that if you lift with proper form and control the weight, you build all the ab strength you need, aside from a little oblique work.
    I'll never see them anyways so I don't bother lol
    When I'm prepping for a backpack, then I'll do mountain climbers and use the twisting machines in the ab room.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited January 2018
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    I only made it a half hour running lol. 
    Oh well, still got 2 workouts in and with only beef jerky for lunch, no breakfast (unless you count a protein drink) I am in a caloric deficit on food and workouts, not counting metabolic rate and 6 hours of physical labor.
     I'm down 3 lbs this afternoon, which is a good daytime drop.
    Started the new year at 185.2, so I'm going to round that down and crush my way to 165 through sheer fucking grit.
    I m right around 185 and have a similar goal of 165-168. Yesterday I did 3.25 miles on the elliptical and did biceps/back. Today I did abs.  
    I don't train abs.
    I've read quite a few times that if you lift with proper form and control the weight, you build all the ab strength you need, aside from a little oblique work.
    I'll never see them anyways so I don't bother lol
    When I'm prepping for a backpack, then I'll do mountain climbers and use the twisting machines in the ab room.
    Interesting, I never knew that. I ll never see my abs either because my diet sucks lol. 
    Gambs what does your workout schedule for the week usually look like?
    edited January 2018
    Ok, I'm toasty and the boy is entertaining himself so I will break it down in detail because I'm bored.

I don't have hard designated days, like how some people do chest on Mondays and so on, my schedule is a rolling one that spans weeks because I usually only take 1 day off a week, but I don't know ahead of time if it'll be Friday or Sunday, or another day when life decides I'm taking 2 days off.  I get up at 4 or 430 and drive a half hour/25 miles to the gym.  Tired face.
    I do a push/pull split.  Pecs and triceps day, classic back and biceps day, legs and shoulders day.  Traps, rear delts, and rhomboids get mixed in on back and leg day alternately and when I take an extra day off or do a cardio only day then I squeeze an arm's day in.  Arm's day is just fun, it feels so good to get that mega pump on, I usually do cable crossovers to get a pec pump too and just feel like a slab of beef. 
    On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I work either back/bis, chest/tris for an hour and a half in the morning and then run treadmill at 6mph for 30-60 minutes and then if I get off work early (about 75% of days) I go back to the gym for another 20-40 minutes.  
    Tuesdays and Saturdays are usually leg and shoulder days, because I don't work and the leg/shoulder workout is hard and takes a long time.  Runs are short on leg day.
    I don't deadlift because I have a disc prone to slipping and I've just always thought deadlifting is the most massively overrated exercise in existence.  Instead, on leg day I do bilateral 75lb dumbell farmer's carries.

I do massive (way too much) volume in my lifting.
    I will commonly do 100 forward leaning dips, 200 push-ups, and 8 sets of tricep pushdowns in varying positions, 5 sets of bench, skullcrushers, and tricep extensions, and I superset push-ups with cable crossovers for 5-8 sets of 15, and still go back to the pecking deck for a few extra sets before I leave.
    Back and biceps day is similar, with curls usually done in preset barbell dropsets of 50 reps, weighted from 60lbs down to 20. I also do the same scheme running the rack on dumbell with equivalent weights and reps.  I love drag curls, the pump is intense. I'll do that 4 times, I do 5 sets of barbell bent over rows, 4 sets of lat pulldowns, seated row, machine rows, between 20 and 60 pull-ups peppered throughout, about 150-200 straight arm pulldowns with the rope attachment.
    I do that many because I keep the weight at 27.5lbs and don't recruit any shoulder, trap, or tricep fibers.

Leg day I do sets of 4 in squats, linear press, and machine pulley press, and I finish by blasting the quads with a 4 round dropset of extensions.
    Shoulders I run the rack for 50 reps 4 times on lateral raises from 25 down to 10lbs and 4 sets of standing dumbell or barbell overhead press.  Shrugs usually come early and are surprisingly tiring, I shrug 200lbs barbell on the Smith machine for 4 sets of 10 and do the farmers carries shrugged all the way.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    So here's how it rolls over.
    This week, I had Sunday off. Monday I did back/bis today for 1.75 hours and then went to work, came back for 3 miles/30 minutes run.
    Tomorrow Tues, legs and shoulders and a half hour run.
    Wednesday will be pecs/tris and half hour run, then maybe another run in the afternoon, maybe not.  Probably though.
    Thursday I'll have a conundrum because I have extra time but legs won't be rested, so I'll probably do what I call a Gumby pump, which is bis/tris/and pecs which just feel good to be all pumped together.  I'll run for up to an hour after that.
    Friday I'll sleep in and then Saturday is leg day number 2, with a short run.
    Sunday I'll start over at back/bis and then Monday will be a conundrum day, and I'll either just run forever or do a long run and catch up on whatever I missed last week, usually rear delts and calves. Then Tuesday leg day, Wednesday chest/tris and another conundrum day and so on into eternity.
    I don't work hammies because they cramp if I try and because I spend plenty of time bent at the waist for work and in the garden, they get smoked during garden season, sore all the time.
    Damn bro!! I am impressed!  That is one solid workout!
    There isn't anyone in the gym that outworks me overall that I've seen, but at least 50% of the people there look better than me lol
    I'll get there, it takes a few years. 

rgambs said:
    There isn't anyone in the gym that outworks me overall that I've seen, but at least 50% of the people there look better than me lol

Good for you bud!!  I have way too many kids and not a hell of a lot of time but I try to lift 3x a week and  do some sort of cardio 3x a week. 
    I may be holding back my progress by overdoing it but I can't stop lol
    I may be holding back my progress by overdoing it but I can't stop lol
    mcgruff10 said:
    For me it s always the fly machine that is always full when I need it. 
    That's a popular one too. I've gotten to where I like the cable flyes better. I get a better pump and you can work your pecs at different angles.
    rgambs said:

Sounds like me lol. I've had a couple of people jokingly ask me if I moved in and lived at the gym.

Disagree with you about deadlifts though. For building strength, I think it's the best exercise you can do. Now, for bodybuilding, which seems to be your main goal, it is overrated so I can see why you'd think that.
    rgambs said:

Sounds like me lol. I've had a couple of people jokingly ask me if I moved in and lived at the gym.

Disagree with you about deadlifts though. For building strength, I think it's the best exercise you can do. Now, for bodybuilding, which seems to be your main goal, it is overrated so I can see why you'd think that.
    I knew you'd disagree lol
    I think it builds strength for sure, but not a functional strength that can't otherwise be had.

I do farmer's carries because there's also that huge CNS overload, but also because that's a functional strength I use on the farm, and deadlifting isn't.  If it's that heavy, I'm not lifting it off the ground unassisted, whereas I carry water and feed buckets around all day.
    And it's ok to disagree. A great thing about weight training is that there are many ways to achieve a desired result.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Your diet sux! Oh man I have just been outta control. Then I get better then I just eat more. I have made zero progress since Thanksgiving. I keep losing and regaining the same 3 lbs. It will be a couple more weeks till I get fully back in track. I'm ok with that. Gotta get more cardio in. I did do 30 minutes elliptical yesterday because you guys made me :lol:. And I will today too. It has a few different walks to choose from with varying difficulty maybe I need to bump it up one today and see how I do. Happy New Year and wow you guys are just killin it!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    And it's ok to disagree. A great thing about weight training is that there are many ways to achieve a desired result.
    Yep, deadlift isn't for me, but most people swear by it.
    I'm tracking this year's workouts on a calendar so I have some data to work with!  
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    New Year, new running shoes, decent run. :) 11.5 miles. I want to go take a nap, but I need to hit the weights.  :s
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Legs shoulders today
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    Gained a few lbs past 2 months. Want to keep my weight between 177-183 but norm now is closer to 185-187. I know I gained some new muscle mass with my more frequent workouts, but I need to start doing some cardio soon too, or weight will continue to increase. Doesn't help having munchies constantly, lol. On the bright side, I haven't looked this good in a shirt since my injuries 16 years ago. 

Train for (a better) Life!
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
    First cardio session of the year. Run/walk 2.25 miles. Damn, my endurance sucks.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Went for a great hike with the old growth today. A wonderful start to a year of activity. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited January 2018
    Down 60 lbs since May. I don't think I've posted here much, but losing 60 by the end of 2017 was my goal when I started and I feel like I need to tell anybody who will listen. Even if I took 2 extra days to get there :lol:

Keep at it everyone.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    edited January 2018
    Down 60 lbs since May. I don't think I've posted here much, but losing 60 by the end of 2017 was my goal when I started and I feel like I need to tell anybody who will listen. Even if I took 2 extra days to get there :lol:

Keep at it everyone.
    I'm sure it was the birthday cake that made it take an extra two days ;) 

But congrats - that's an awesome achievement. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

Keep at it everyone.
    Great job!
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Down 60 lbs since May. I don't think I've nuposted here much, but losing 60 by the end of 2017 was my goal when I started and I feel like I need to tell anybody who will listen. Even if I took 2 extra days to get there :lol:

Keep at it everyone.
    Congratulations, WhatYouTaughtMe!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218

Keep at it everyone.

That's awesome! I'm sure a lot of effort went into making that change. Congratulations!
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.

Keep at it everyone.
    :clap:

Bravo!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I find losing weight easy when exercising. Find it hard to keep the weight off.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014