Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    So, realized today that my pattern of eating is similar to intermittent fasting. 16:8 however, I've been breaking my fast with coffee and some mornings a protein milk. I wasn't aware. So insulin spikes when we eat. Growth hormone is good when we fast. 

So going to pay attention. Not eat till noon, my lunch and not eat after 8pm. Noon is my normal lunch. So I'll have to have my coffee with lunch and have tea when I get to work. And 8pm is perfect to eat dinner with the fam since I don' get home till 6 sometimes 615 most likely 630 now with the snow coming.

Going to really pay attention for 1 week. Not break my fasting and see. 
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    No weight change over the holiday week, I'll count that as a victory lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    As of today I'm down 60 lbs for the year. 10 more to go! Great work everyone. I've been lurking in this thread but I got behind so I haven't read the last 5 pages or so, but I enjoyed reading everyone's progress up to that point. 
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:
    As of today I'm down 60 lbs for the year. 10 more to go! Great work everyone. I've been lurking in this thread but I got behind so I haven't read the last 5 pages or so, but I enjoyed reading everyone's progress up to that point. 
    Great work!  That's quite a feat!
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited November 2017
    I have a pot belly.
    Gained 10kgs in 12 months. Sigh.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    rgambs said:
    bflynn1 said:
    Great work!  That's quite a feat!
    Thanks I appreciate it! 255 to 195. It's been a lot of work but well worth it. 
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    rgambs said:
    This week was a rollercoaster.
    Killer workouts 7 straight, bad food control.
    On and off the diet due to circumstances beyond my control and subsequent lack of willpower.
    177.0 at my lowest, 183.4 at my highest.

Final weigh in was an abysmal 181.8, but I felt like I looked better in the gym mirrors than ever before so maybe there was a little muscle gain.

I'm sad to see that I'm at a natural (but not ideal) weight and I'm going to have to fight tooth and nail from here out.
    Funny thing I've noticed this year: I'll get really hungry and eat a lot one day, and my weight actually drops over the next few days. In general, I'm burning so many calories each day that it's hard for me to get enough to eat. The cheat day seems to help my body overcome a deficit and keep moving forward. 

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Anyway, I haven't been here in a while, trying to be more focused and less distracted by the computer.
    Exercise is going well. I logged 294 miles in November. I ran a thirteen-mile trail run at a sub-9:00 pace (and that's with stopping every mile to look for my husband; after years of hearing "Can't you go any faster?" I'm now significantly faster than he is!). I might hit 3,000 miles this year.

Looking ahead to 2018, I am asking myself if I want to resume racing. I have not raced at all this year; I haven't even done any speedwork. But I'm a lot faster nonetheless. So, it's tempting. I don't know. 

I'm now squatting 135 pounds (I weigh 130). That's not a lot, but as I tell my trainer, I'm certain I'm the only person in the gym who ran 10-11 miles before their leg workout.

We finally tried rock climbing! I made it almost all the way to the top before I decided I needed to be back on solid ground. Now we just need to find the time to go back.

Food and weight, some random thoughts:
    -- My husband suggested that I exercise more discipline around sweets this holiday season. My body fat is so low, he said that the sugar seems to be messing with my mood as well as with how I feel physically. And in general this year, I've noticed that I feel better if I make a conscious effort to eat more protein.

Non-scale goals and being stuck at a certain weight: I probably weigh five pounds less than I did two years ago --how's that for frustratingly-slow weight loss? --  but I look different. I have a closet full of clothes that are too big for me. Records that I've kept show that I've lost 1.5-2 inches from my hips and thighs.  So, rgambs, maybe keep that image of yourself that you see in the mirror in mind, too?

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    First workout since getting back from vacation. Whew, gonna have to ease back into it this week as today was rough.
  • Options
    So intermittent fasting works. Lol. I laugh because you all prolly already know this. I had a family emergency that lasted 10 days, I was forced to do the 23:1 fasting schedule one day I didn't get to eat at all depended on my relief. I lost 5lbs. Was trying to remember what I was before the chaos happened. I am home now and switching back to 16:8 schedule. Would have taken me at least 6.5 weeks to lose 5lbs with my regime before the fasting. Obviously I cannot maintain the 23:1 schedule not with kids and having to teach them how and what and when to eat all that jazz. So anyway I'm down 25 lbs! Gonna keep pushing forward to the next 15 lost. I'm hoping this fasting schedule will help this belly fat get lost.

Hope all is well!
  • Options
    There's only 1 way to celebrate being 5lb out from your 50lb goal, and that's with a steak and ribs and a (small) Reese's Cup Blizzard.
  • Options
    Ooooo ice cream!
  • Options
    A couple of questions for y'all:

1. Do you track your workouts?
    2. If yes, do you use pen and paper or use an app?
    3. What features would you find important for an app to have?

I'm tracking my workouts with pen and paper, but have been toying around with developing something. While I could tailor one to just what I want, I want to make it useful enough for others to use. Just looking for some feedback and suggestions on this idea.
  • Options

I'm tracking my workouts with pen and paper, but have been toying around with developing something. While I could tailor one to just what I want, I want to make it useful enough for others to use. Just looking for some feedback and suggestions on this idea.
    I don't track or plan any deeper than which muscle groups I'm working.
    Some people need the structure and some people need the freedom to do what they feel their body needs on a given day.  Both systems have their pros and cons, in the former you can get stuck in a rut easily, in the latter you risk skipping/missing weaknesses that you should be facing head on.

The latter works for me, largely because I'm in the gym lifting for 1.5 to 1.75 hours and it's hard to skip something (hamstring curls for instance) when you already did 6 sets of squats, 8 sets of leg presses, and quad extensions and you still have a half hour to lift.
  • Options
    I reached a new low weight of 174.0 this morning on a diet plan I highly encourage everyone to avoid.
    This diet plan is called "Drink too much at a Christmas party".
    Essentially what you do is drink a half a bottle of Scotch and then chuck up everything that isn't attached, the added bonus is that for some, you will shit your brains out.
    It's extremely important that you don't use this diet strategy the night before you have to work, as you will have to call off and sleep all day.  Your appetite will not return for the entire day, so keep up on the fluids and be sure to moan and bellow as much as needed.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538

I only  track long distance bike rides and hikes.
    Always fun to see how my time and distance improves from April to October.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Some people need the structure and some people need the freedom to do what they feel their body needs on a given day.  Both systems have their pros and cons, in the former you can get stuck in a rut easily, in the latter you risk skipping/missing weaknesses that you should be facing head on.

The latter works for me, largely because I'm in the gym lifting for 1.5 to 1.75 hours and it's hard to skip something (hamstring curls for instance) when you already did 6 sets of squats, 8 sets of leg presses, and quad extensions and you still have a half hour to lift.
    So do you just remember what you did on every exercise or just go up to a weight that feels ok that particular day?

I can remember the big 4 lifts, but not a lot of the assistance exercises. If I didn't track those, I feel like I wouldn't challenge myself and wouldn't progress.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I reached a new low weight of 174.0 this morning on a diet plan I highly encourage everyone to avoid.
    This diet plan is called "Drink too much at a Christmas party".
    Essentially what you do is drink a half a bottle of Scotch and then chuck up everything that isn't attached, the added bonus is that for some, you will shit your brains out.
    It's extremely important that you don't use this diet strategy the night before you have to work, as you will have to call off and sleep all day.  Your appetite will not return for the entire day, so keep up on the fluids and be sure to moan and bellow as much as needed.
    That's rough. Been there, done that too. Definitely drink a lot of water the day after.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    rgambs said:

So do you just remember what you did on every exercise or just go up to a weight that feels ok that particular day?

I can remember the big 4 lifts, but not a lot of the assistance exercises. If I didn't track those, I feel like I wouldn't challenge myself and wouldn't progress.

Thanks for the feedback!
    I have a pretty good memory so I remember in most cases.
    I also just kinda freewheel it.  Do a set and see how it feels, how many reps I get on the warmup set determines what weight I'll move to.
    I jump around, I'll do a warmup set of 20 reps and then jump straight to the heaviest I can do 6 reps for 2 sets and then back it down for another two.

I'm a time under tension and stamina guy rather than pure strength, so the weight I'm moving doesn't concern me as much as the burn I'm feeling.  I just live by the burn.
    I don't care how much weight I can move 1, 2, or 3 times, I care how many reps I can get with a more modest weight.  I could bench 240 for 2 reps, but I don't.  I go 225 and try to reach 8.
    Just a different philosophy that's based on wanting to look better more than be stronger.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    Waiting to get me knee looked at by a physio, no running or any gym until then. There goes my gym membership, expired.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Waiting to get me knee looked at by a physio, no running or any gym until then. There goes my gym membership, expired.
    Push-ups, pull-ups, and dips.
    You can get shredded and lose weight and be in good cardiovascular shape with just those three bodyweight exercises.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    You can get shredded and lose weight and be in good cardiovascular shape with just those three bodyweight exercises.
    Thanks. Got nowhere to do pull-ups here at home. What are dips?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Yeah, I use a tree because I don't have a bar.  You can buy pull-up bars that hang in doorways without installation.
    Google bodyweight dips, there are several different ways to do them.  They work your triceps, shoulders, and pecs depending on how you do them.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Yeah, I use a tree because I don't have a bar.  You can buy pull-up bars that hang in doorways without installation.
    Google bodyweight dips, there are several different ways to do them.  They work your triceps, shoulders, and pecs depending on how you do them.
    Cool, thanks.
  • Options

1.yes, but (I used to track my strength workouts; now my trainer does that. I just note the time spent on the workout. I track my runs -- route used, duration, which shoes I wore. I track the shoes so I can toss them after 400 miles.)

2. Both. When I tracked my own strength workouts, I used a notebook and pen. App-wise, I use My Fitness Pal, which lets me keep a food diary as well (so food intake and calories burned are linked). MFP links with Runtastic, where I map and record my runs.

3. Good mapping features for run/bike/hike routes are essential as far as I am concerned. I quit using a FitBit because its inaccuracy drove me crazy (nothing like running a certified half-marathon course and having your FitBit tell you you are ALMOST at twelve miles for the day to make you question its utility). I like being able to link a food diary and a workout log. I disable the social media aspects, because I don't really need to tell all of Facebook that I lost half a pound or where I like to run each morning.

I've never used an app to record strength workouts (specific exercises, weight, reps, sets) because it felt as if logging the exercises took almost as long as the actual workout did. Now, it's entirely possible that I''m just not being smart about how I use those apps, but suffice to say that I found that approach off-putting (so I recorded my workouts using pen and paper and just enter/ed "Upper Body Weight Training, 1 hour" in the app. If it felt like less of a time sink to track specific exercises in an app, I would be more likely to use it.  
  • Options

1.yes, but (I used to track my strength workouts; now my trainer does that. I just note the time spent on the workout. I track my runs -- route used, duration, which shoes I wore. I track the shoes so I can toss them after 400 miles.)

2. Both. When I tracked my own strength workouts, I used a notebook and pen. App-wise, I use My Fitness Pal, which lets me keep a food diary as well (so food intake and calories burned are linked). MFP links with Runtastic, where I map and record my runs.

3. Good mapping features for run/bike/hike routes are essential as far as I am concerned. I quit using a FitBit because its inaccuracy drove me crazy (nothing like running a certified half-marathon course and having your FitBit tell you you are ALMOST at twelve miles for the day to make you question its utility). I like being able to link a food diary and a workout log. I disable the social media aspects, because I don't really need to tell all of Facebook that I lost half a pound or where I like to run each morning.

I've never used an app to record strength workouts (specific exercises, weight, reps, sets) because it felt as if logging the exercises took almost as long as the actual workout did. Now, it's entirely possible that I''m just not being smart about how I use those apps, but suffice to say that I found that approach off-putting (so I recorded my workouts using pen and paper and just enter/ed "Upper Body Weight Training, 1 hour" in the app. If it felt like less of a time sink to track specific exercises in an app, I would be more likely to use it.  
    Thanks for the feedback! I knew there were a few running apps that had good mapping features, so I wasn't really looking to reinvent the wheel there. For the strength workouts, did it feel cumbersome because of having to search the exercises or was it the actual data entry? Sounds like it was just the entire experience, but it would be beneficial to know if a certain aspect was more frustrating. 
  • Options

Thanks for the feedback! I knew there were a few running apps that had good mapping features, so I wasn't really looking to reinvent the wheel there. For the strength workouts, did it feel cumbersome because of having to search the exercises or was it the actual data entry? Sounds like it was just the entire experience, but it would be beneficial to know if a certain aspect was more frustrating. 
    The easiest would be a transcription app that finds the exercise from a voice cue or just puts it into a spreadsheet.
    You do your set and you say into your phone:
    Unilateral tricep kickbacks
    20 pounds
    4 sets of 20 reps.

Or bench press 
    180 pounds 10 reps
    200 pounds 8 reps
    225 pounds 6 reps
    225 pounds 4 reps.
  • Options
    Hmm.. both?
    Basically, if I am tracking everything I eat, mapping my running routes, tracking weight and body fat, doing strength workouts that change up regularly -- at some point, I run out of time to log everything I am doing (so there's a trade-off between meticulous tracking of exercise, time for stretching/yoga/body work, and time for recovery and eating).

I've found that searching for exercises can be a pain, but the time needed to enter sets/reps/weight also is an issue. rgambs' suggestion of voice recognition is a good one.

I imagine it's harder to do, but down the road I would like to see better calculations of caloric expenditure. E.g., I have a self-defense/ jiu-jitsu lesson each week. When I enter that into the app, my choices are 1) "jiujitsu" which has a "calories burned" number that suggests I am sparring for an hour (which I am NOT), or 2) scrolling through and choosing a random activity that sounds like it might approximate what I was doing.

Then again, we probably are just a few years away from a wearable device that will track your metabolic rate and tally daily intake/ expenditure. If it's more accurate than FitBit (in my experience), obsessives like myself will be first in line for it.
  • Options
    I am at 2892 miles for the year. I am going to try to hit 3000. I've been a little under the weather, and I've had some nagging inflammation, and it's the holiday season, so there's a chance that I will have to run an impromptu marathon on NYE to hit that goal, but I am going to try.
  • Options
    Geez, you run alot!

Don't you worry about the damage to your cardiothoracic system?