Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I'm cruising along now into my 2nd week back at work. I've realised how I really fucking hate sitting in a chair in my office. Last week my lower back and butt were a bit sore. I'm a therapist, so I have 2 super nice chairs in here, and do sit in them quite a bit when things get busy around here. Still though - going from being super active to this felt like a full stop last week. Getting in the gym over lunch has been a great remedy for that. Afternoons are super energized, attention sharp, don't feel that mid-day lull. I'm hoping to bank as much of this good mojo as possible before baby girl #2 arrives in 8 weeks. That's when shit will get real challenging. Nice work everyone - I've been keeping up with all your progress. Good stuff!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    I've been weighing myself weekly for over a year, and I weigh the same. I think I need a new source of inspiration. A new type of number.  Hmmmmm?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    Maybe go by percentage body fat, instead? I've lost three pounds this year, according to the scale, but my appearance has changed much more than that number would suggest. Plus, if you add some muscle mass you will burn more calories, too, and then that number on the scale might start trending downwards. (Of course, if, like me, you have thyroid issues, all bets are off as to what the scale will tell you.)

If you start off at, say, 150, do some strength training, adding five pounds of muscle and losing five pounds of fat in the process, you still weigh 150 but you will look and feel different.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I've been weighing myself weekly for over a year, and I weigh the same. I think I need a new source of inspiration. A new type of number.  Hmmmmm?
    Ditch the focus on weight and focus on strength and endurance.  Mix up your work out routine by adding in something you've never done before but think might be fun. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    225 deadlift today. 225 club for the big 3. #gainz

I should probably do more cardio to lose more belly fat, but to be honest I'm ok with it. 
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    These workouts are doing nothing but pissing me off. 
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    FoxyRedLa said:
    What kind of workout?  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    What kind of workout?  
    Hi! Shaun T's - Focus T25. I haven't seen zero results but zero inches lost and a possible 3ish weight lb loss. So frustrating. 
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    FoxyRedLa said:
    rgambs said:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    What kind of workout?  
    Hi! Shaun T's - Focus T25. I haven't seen zero results but zero inches lost and a possible 3ish weight lb loss. So frustrating. 
    How long have you been at it?
    It's tough not to get discouraged sometimes.
    I'm no expert but here are my thoughts...
    Insanity/P90X/T25 type workouts are described as aerobic exercise, but are they?  If you push a muscle to failure, that's anaerobic to a T isn't it?
    We all know that aerobic exercise is better for weight loss, but most people don't realize how profound the difference is.  I've seen that hiking is the number one exercise for weight loss precisely because it is low intensity.  It sucks, but you just can't cram hours worth of activity into a half hour.  The increased intensity doesn't yield proportional calorie loss.  
    It's not that you can't lose weight that way, I have a buddy who lost 100lbs on Insanity and P90X, it's just that from such intense workouts you expect intense results, and it still takes time, in part because of the diminishing returns.

I'm convinced that the average person who doesn't have hours of time to work out every day should think of their exercise as fitness training only, unrelated to weight loss.  Weight loss happens at the table, on your plate.
    I can run for an hour at an 11 minute/mile pace (fairly average for a short legged fellow) and I'll burn somewhere between 400-800 calories.
    If I have one (fucking heavenly) donut from the local bakery, that hour run is entirely negated from my caloric deficit goal in less than one (fucking heavenly) minute.
    The (fucking heavenly) donut is great, but do I have enough hours to invest in losing weight if I continue to eat (fucking heavenly) donuts?

It's tough. 

I go to bed at 11-1130 and I get up at 4-430 every morning to drive a half hour to the gym.
    I lift for an hour and a half, I do cardio for an hour, and then I go home and make eggs for my wife before she goes to work.  I eat lots of eggs.
    Some days I feel like I can't do it, but I've found that the only way to get in shape and stay that way is to put in the time and grit it out.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    I love (fucking heavenly) donuts. I love (fucking heavenly) cakes, cookies, and chocolate croissants as well.

What is this life I lead?!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I love (fucking heavenly) donuts. I love (fucking heavenly) cakes, cookies, and chocolate croissants as well.

What is this life I lead?!
    One with historic levels of temptation, that's for sure!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    rgambs said:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    What kind of workout?  
    How long have you been at it?
    It's tough not to get discouraged sometimes.
    I'm no expert but here are my thoughts...
    Insanity/P90X/T25 type workouts are described as aerobic exercise, but are they?  If you push a muscle to failure, that's anaerobic to a T isn't it?
    We all know that aerobic exercise is better for weight loss, but most people don't realize how profound the difference is.  I've seen that hiking is the number one exercise for weight loss precisely because it is low intensity.  It sucks, but you just can't cram hours worth of activity into a half hour.  The increased intensity doesn't yield proportional calorie loss.  
    It's not that you can't lose weight that way, I have a buddy who lost 100lbs on Insanity and P90X, it's just that from such intense workouts you expect intense results, and it still takes time, in part because of the diminishing returns.

I'm convinced that the average person who doesn't have hours of time to work out every day should think of their exercise as fitness training only, unrelated to weight loss.  Weight loss happens at the table, on your plate.
    I can run for an hour at an 11 minute/mile pace (fairly average for a short legged fellow) and I'll burn somewhere between 400-800 calories.
    If I have one (fucking heavenly) donut from the local bakery, that hour run is entirely negated from my caloric deficit goal in less than one (fucking heavenly) minute.
    The (fucking heavenly) donut is great, but do I have enough hours to invest in losing weight if I continue to eat (fucking heavenly) donuts?

It's tough. 

I go to bed at 11-1130 and I get up at 4-430 every morning to drive a half hour to the gym.
    I lift for an hour and a half, I do cardio for an hour, and then I go home and make eggs for my wife before she goes to work.  I eat lots of eggs.
    Some days I feel like I can't do it, but I've found that the only way to get in shape and stay that way is to put in the time and grit it out.
    My goal started out I wanted to LOOK good! That was over a year ago. I lost 5 lbs and kept it off. I went to a family graduation party and watched an adult family member run all over the back yard with his kids for hours in the heat. I was so unbelievably jealous! So jealous. I wanted to be able to do that. Now I'm not immobile haha but definitely would not have kept up let alone even have the ambition to want to. So. I decided it's time. I want to play ball in the yard when my son is old enough not just send him outside and say go away. Same with my daughters and their activities. 

So I started T25 late July. I got a few days behind and you work out 6 days a week. So I'll be starting the second half in a couple days. Supposed to be a 10 week gig. I can tell some differences in my lungs and maybe a little quicker. I've been trying to find youtube videos and any comments really. No one is really stating how long it takes to drop say 50lbs. Mostly I'm figuring at least a year unless you just aren't eating. I realize it's not over night but I'm frustrated because I'm actually trying this time haha and still nothing really to show for it. 

Been drinking at least 64oz water a day. Been eating a crap ton of veggies. Recently been staying away from bread and sweets.

I am now thinking what you said. I just must not be burning enough calories. I'm going to finish the series and may need to do it twice. Most likely I was just that out of shape.

I also recently started the apple cider vinegar craze  but am mostly hoping for the skin benefits out of that and now that I'm typing this I just realized I need to add some cinnamon to that shot of vinegar. Apparently there's a long list of benefits from cinnamon. 

So my new goal is to not be a bump on a log with the secondary still lingering that wishing I would finally lose some chub! 

I want to be active and not tired when it comes to my kids wanting to do activities and go places and ride bikes and all the basics cuz 2 of them are little yet.

Thanks for the response gambs. Helps me keep in perspective that yes it will take a while. Just like Tash has been with me on this since the beginning trying to convince me I can do it and been encouraging me and answering all of my crazy questions! Just chaps my ass when it appears everyone else gets such fast results - ugh!

I like when you guys post here! Keep it up please!
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    rgambs said:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    rgambs said:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    My goal started out I wanted to LOOK good! That was over a year ago. I lost 5 lbs and kept it off. I went to a family graduation party and watched an adult family member run all over the back yard with his kids for hours in the heat. I was so unbelievably jealous! So jealous. I wanted to be able to do that. Now I'm not immobile haha but definitely would not have kept up let alone even have the ambition to want to. So. I decided it's time. I want to play ball in the yard when my son is old enough not just send him outside and say go away. Same with my daughters and their activities. 

So I started T25 late July. I got a few days behind and you work out 6 days a week. So I'll be starting the second half in a couple days. Supposed to be a 10 week gig. I can tell some differences in my lungs and maybe a little quicker. I've been trying to find youtube videos and any comments really. No one is really stating how long it takes to drop say 50lbs. Mostly I'm figuring at least a year unless you just aren't eating. I realize it's not over night but I'm frustrated because I'm actually trying this time haha and still nothing really to show for it. 

Been drinking at least 64oz water a day. Been eating a crap ton of veggies. Recently been staying away from bread and sweets.

I am now thinking what you said. I just must not be burning enough calories. I'm going to finish the series and may need to do it twice. Most likely I was just that out of shape.

I also recently started the apple cider vinegar craze  but am mostly hoping for the skin benefits out of that and now that I'm typing this I just realized I need to add some cinnamon to that shot of vinegar. Apparently there's a long list of benefits from cinnamon. 

So my new goal is to not be a bump on a log with the secondary still lingering that wishing I would finally lose some chub! 

I want to be active and not tired when it comes to my kids wanting to do activities and go places and ride bikes and all the basics cuz 2 of them are little yet.

Thanks for the response gambs. Helps me keep in perspective that yes it will take a while. Just like Tash has been with me on this since the beginning trying to convince me I can do it and been encouraging me and answering all of my crazy questions! Just chaps my ass when it appears everyone else gets such fast results - ugh!

I like when you guys post here! Keep it up please!
    Ok, I'm feeling quite loquacious today, so I'm going to tackle this from the start, sparing no verbosity.

Looking good is not a bad goal to have.  It's better than weight loss, as weight loss doesn't mean shit compared to how you feel.  How you look is a big part of how you feel.  
    Your family member running around the yard, this is a state of mind.  Please don't take offense as this isn't personal and I'm not sexist, but society or biology or some sort of black magic tells women in particular, they are tired.  Constantly.  I feel the pull to feel tired all the time too.
    It's a lie! lol  It's a state of mind.  A person who gets more than 6 hours of sleep and doesn't work very hard should not complain about being tired every single day, yet every woman in my life does just that, and a quarter of the men. 
    When I get off my manual labor job and go over for a family dinner, there are 3 kids (neice 5, nephew 3, and my own who is 2) that instantly swarm me wanting to play one or all of the games I "invented" with them.  Chop Da Tree, Climb Da Mountain, Horse Masters, Foot Tag, and the hardest of all, Way Up Sky.  The whole family is amazed I have the energy, they didn't work today while I got up at 4:30, worked out and worked slingin soda for 8 hours.  I always tell them it's just Newton's First.  You can't let yourself be tired, you have to banish it from your mind and focus on the fun in front of you.
    Tired is vague, isn't it?  When we say we are tired do we mean sleepy, physically exhausted, stressed out, fatigued from all of the above?  Usually I think we just mean lazy.  Everyone has been all of those, but usually aren't any.  Sleepy is for bedtime hours, physical exhaustion is not something easily earned, stress is something you can shed in an instant with practice, and true fatigue is reserved for people who exert themselves physically and mentally for hours at a time.  I think mostly we are just at rest and tending to want to stay at rest.
    But when the kids are smiling and squealing...fuck no I'm not tired.  They get to see the smiles and enjoy the squeals, but I make them happen.  I'm Uncle Levi, I'm a fucking superhero and they treat me like one too.
    Do you see what I'm saying?  I'm not perfect, I get fucking tired too, but when it's time to live life or observe it?  Then, tired isn't real.  

After a couple weeks, you might be in better shape than you feel, you have to keep pushing yourself to even know it.  If you usually do 20 reps in the minute, you won't know if you can do 30 until you try.  And fail at first usually lol
    The time it takes to lose 50lbs?  Nobody can predict it, it's all at your control.  You can do it in 4 months at a minimum, but you will be hungry almost all of the time, and that sucks.  I'm a year and a half in and haven't gotten that far.  Lost 40 in 3.5 months and gained it back over 10 or so.  Now I'm back down the 40 but can't get lower.  A year is a realistic time frame for losing that much and not just rebounding immediately.

Water and veggies are great, and bread is the devil.  Make sure you get as much protein as you can, it makes you feel fuller and helps burn calories. 

It may not be a problem of burning too few calories, it may be a problem with eating too many.  I seem to remember that you are very very busy.  If so, you'll never worn out enough to burn the calories for that sort of weight loss.  It's gotta come from diet.  I highly recommend a fitness tracker app and a strict regimen of tracking calories as accurately as possible (which isn't very) to keep on track and eliminate issues you didn't see that you had.  It helped me nix things from my diet that I didn't care enough about to include, like crackers.  Don't need 'em, way too many calories.  It helped me discover my lowest caloric intake without hating life.

Go out and run around with the kids, I'll bet your T25 is kicking in more than you realize!
  • Options
    Thank you again gambs!

I absolutely love how you described being a super hero! That's exactly the feeling I want! You hit the nail on the head!

So to clarify - not to imply you said or meant anything - I say I might have to do T25 twice meaning I may see some actual results the second time around. I most likely was just that out of shape! 
    My goal was 20lbs. I think I may shoot for 30 or 35. Again all in how you feel like you said.

And yes my adult family member I was comparing myself to is male. But older than myself. And I still get envious thinking about that day. Which was just a few months ago. I'm going to skip around a bit cuz I'm home and the kids are staring at me haha - I am eating better now than the last few weeks. I do get out with my kids almost every day. We swing, dig in the dirt, go for golf cart rides, they ride their bikes. Nothing super strenuous yet cuz they're little. 

I do work outside of the home full time and have almost an hour ride to and from work. I get home around 6 and right now we make dinner, eat, play some in or out depending on weather then bath time the I work out then bed. 

I want the athlete part of being fit and look good and eat my cake bahahah.

I think you get the point. Want to spend as much time with my kids and be a good role model.
  • Options
    My random thoughts:

1) Foxy, as a woman with thyroid disease, my first impulse is to tell you that if you are struggling with weight loss and are feeling tired, you might want to get your thyroid checked.
    2) I love pastries, ice cream, chocolate -- love them. But what I've noticed is that, since I started trying to eat more protein, my sweet tooth has diminished, a lot. I feel better, too. If your blood sugar isn't going crazy from lots of sweets, you might feel less sluggish, too.
    3) I actually felt less tired when I quit drinking coffee regularly; the caffeine load was hitting me hard. I switched to tea, and both the "ups" and the "downs" are gentler.
    4) It's important to find an activity you enjoy, that you look forward to doing, and to set goals and have motivations that work for you -- whether that's looking good, feeling good, doesn't matter. As my kids' doctor would say, the best exercise is the one you will do and keep doing. Sometimes an external motivation helps. I.e., when I was recovering from being slammed by a malfunctioning thyroid, I set a goal to run a half-marathon for charity. Having raised all of that money, I felt an obligation to stick to my training and run that race. 
    5) I suck at dieting. Seriously, I am the worst at it. Dieting makes me think about nothing but food all day long; you can imagine how that turns out! I found that reframing "dieting" as "making healthy lifestyle choices to take care of myself and feel better" helped a lot.
    6) I continue to be a big, big, big fan of strength training (weightllifting) for women. It's good for our bones, it's good for our self-confidence, it's good for our overall health, and it boosts our metabolisms. And no, you won't "build big muscles" (I'm happy to send you photographic evidence of that, LOL!).
    7) Don't kid yourself, losing more than 5-10 pounds, doing it the healthy way, is going to take time and effort. Try to be patient and kind with yourself.
    7a) Oh, yeah, keeping a food diary made me clean up my act as far as eating's concerned.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    ^^^^ Also, thinking of exercise not as a chore but as something you do for yourself helps.
    My youngest just finished high school. I'm working out 2-3 hours/day, and people think I'm crazy -- why would I want to do that? I'm doing that because it makes me feel good mentally and physically, and I want to spend some time on myself after so many years of really intensive parenting, driving all over the damn place, sleeping in my car during three-hour rehearsals, and eating at Starbucks twice a day.
  • Options
    My random thoughts:

1) Foxy, as a woman with thyroid disease, my first impulse is to tell you that if you are struggling with weight loss and are feeling tired, you might want to get your thyroid checked.
    2) I love pastries, ice cream, chocolate -- love them. But what I've noticed is that, since I started trying to eat more protein, my sweet tooth has diminished, a lot. I feel better, too. If your blood sugar isn't going crazy from lots of sweets, you might feel less sluggish, too.
    3) I actually felt less tired when I quit drinking coffee regularly; the caffeine load was hitting me hard. I switched to tea, and both the "ups" and the "downs" are gentler.
    4) It's important to find an activity you enjoy, that you look forward to doing, and to set goals and have motivations that work for you -- whether that's looking good, feeling good, doesn't matter. As my kids' doctor would say, the best exercise is the one you will do and keep doing. Sometimes an external motivation helps. I.e., when I was recovering from being slammed by a malfunctioning thyroid, I set a goal to run a half-marathon for charity. Having raised all of that money, I felt an obligation to stick to my training and run that race. 
    5) I suck at dieting. Seriously, I am the worst at it. Dieting makes me think about nothing but food all day long; you can imagine how that turns out! I found that reframing "dieting" as "making healthy lifestyle choices to take care of myself and feel better" helped a lot.
    6) I continue to be a big, big, big fan of strength training (weightllifting) for women. It's good for our bones, it's good for our self-confidence, it's good for our overall health, and it boosts our metabolisms. And no, you won't "build big muscles" (I'm happy to send you photographic evidence of that, LOL!).
    7) Don't kid yourself, losing more than 5-10 pounds, doing it the healthy way, is going to take time and effort. Try to be patient and kind with yourself.
    7a) Oh, yeah, keeping a food diary made me clean up my act as far as eating's concerned.

This is great! Thank you! I may be lying to myself but I feel I am just out of shape opposed to tired. I do have a busy schedule but if my kids can participate we're there! I keep them busy. 

I have had my thyroid checked. After the birth of my youngest about 3 months after ummm like all my hair fell out! Of course there is nothing wrong with my thyroid. Nothing wrong with my sugar. No heart problems. Just busy schedule and out of shape and sometimes just not enough hours in the day!

I am eating better as of late and working on behaving. I do have a big family dinner Saturday and will enjoy but within reason. 

I do appreciate the kind words about in #7! My favorite comment :lol: - definitely helps keep motivated when I do feel on my own since I don't have a workout buddy.

I am doing what fits my schedule at this time. I can't go to the gym or sign up for a league or anything like that. I'm 1 of 5 with a busy schedule and my 2 little ones are little and require a lot of all kinds of work and attention. My oldest is on the other end of the spectrum and have my husband and I all kinds of busy with our time and attention! Just trying to do what I can now. Not later when it too hard. Although I do see some elderly way way way active now a days.

Thanks!
  • Options
    ^^^^ Also, thinking of exercise not as a chore but as something you do for yourself helps.
    My youngest just finished high school. I'm working out 2-3 hours/day, and people think I'm crazy -- why would I want to do that? I'm doing that because it makes me feel good mentally and physically, and I want to spend some time on myself after so many years of really intensive parenting, driving all over the damn place, sleeping in my car during three-hour rehearsals, and eating at Starbucks twice a day.
    Sounds familiar! 

To your comment and gambs. I actually read somewhere that 30 minutes a day is all you need. That anything longer has not really proven to be an advantage. Now not to take away from what you said because I'm not referring to spending time on yourself.
  • Options
    And would like to add thank you for some concept of time here. I was thinking 8-12 months if I keep up daily exercise.  I have been searching youtube. Tons of videos about watch my weight loss journey and almost all of them leave out how long it took them. I'm going to just keep at it! Something I haven't done before!
  • Options
    I think that depends on what your goals are. For basic physical health, yes, that's fine.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Sounds familiar! 

To your comment and gambs. I actually read somewhere that 30 minutes a day is all you need. That anything longer has not really proven to be an advantage. Now not to take away from what you said because I'm not referring to spending time on yourself.
    What you read is probably a broad mischaracterization of a a very narrow research result.
    If 30 minutes was the limit for increased results, we'd all be Olympic level athletes!
  • Options
    Ok point taken! :lol:
  • Options
    I love all of today's comments! My favorite exercise is walking. It's humid here, but I will fit it in somehow. Great thread!
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    Seriously, I look down at that smaller tire on my stomach and am like "get off me!!" 
    Have 10 extra stomach lbs. Hoping my month long trip to Colorado will have me being more energetic & I know I need to eat better there too. It's never easy, that's for sure.
    Eating better in Colorado. Just shouldn't have bought 7 pounds of cashews, almonds & walnuts at Costco when I got here. Have been biking 5 days a week so far. May not have lost 5 lbs yet, but my cardio is definitely improving. Love biking here, no sweating!
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
  • Options

• Options
    LOL.
    For me, it was "Exercise Monday."
    -- one hour self-defense/ jujitsu
    -- 90 minute run
    -- one hour strength training with my trainer at the gym: he had me squatting (3*15) and deadlifting (3*12) 115 lbs. today (I'm female...). My legs are thrashed -- but they look amazing.
    -- 30-minute nap ;-)
    -- one hour strength training at home, upper body and core
    -- 30-minute walk to loosen up my poor legs. 
    If I'm smart, I'll get up close and personal with my foam roller tonight.
    I sure do hope house gnomes will bring me dinner; otherwise, it's protein shakes for everyone.
  • Options
    :lol: we need to post more often!
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    LOL.
    For me, it was "Exercise Monday."
    -- one hour self-defense/ jujitsu
    -- 90 minute run
    -- one hour strength training with my trainer at the gym: he had me squatting (3*15) and deadlifting (3*12) 115 lbs. today (I'm female...). My legs are thrashed -- but they look amazing.
    -- 30-minute nap ;-)
    -- one hour strength training at home, upper body and core
    -- 30-minute walk to loosen up my poor legs. 
    If I'm smart, I'll get up close and personal with my foam roller tonight.
    I sure do hope house gnomes will bring me dinner; otherwise, it's protein shakes for everyone.
    Squatting and deadlifting the same day? Respect! If I do both in one day, whichever exercise I do second is always very wobbly.

Definitely hit that foam roller. You'll thank yourself tomorrow.

Sounds like you'll be sleeping well tonight. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    Seriously, I look down at that smaller tire on my stomach and am like "get off me!!" 
    Have 10 extra stomach lbs. Hoping my month long trip to Colorado will have me being more energetic & I know I need to eat better there too. It's never easy, that's for sure.
    Eating better in Colorado. Just shouldn't have bought 7 pounds of cashews, almonds & walnuts at Costco when I got here. Have been biking 5 days a week so far. May not have lost 5 lbs yet, but my cardio is definitely improving. Love biking here, no sweating!
    If you're  not sweating  you're not riding hard enough. Get up into those hills. Get some serious  elevation gain.