Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    rgambs said:

I am the guy that woofs 3 cookies down in the kitchen and then walks out with 1 in my hand like that's all I am having lol

Is that bad?

Just joking.

Being an adult means eating a bag of white cheddar cheese puffy things and chocolate covered almonds for dinner. It's not everyday, but some days I just want rainy-day food. . . . and that is why I am on this thread. :)

There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Cruising along into the second month of the new year. It's all paying off in so many ways! Keep up the good work all!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    :lol::hug:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Ms. Haiku said:

rgambs said:

I did a 2 mile road run with a friend today and then I hit a new high on the PacMan machine (treadmill).
    I did 65 minutes, burned 750 calories and went a "distance" of 4.5 miles!!

Today's menu
    Breakfast: 1 scrambled egg with onions and peppers
    Lunch: 1 sandwich sized 1/4 inch slice of Turkey breast and a 100 calorie bag of popcorn
    Dinner: A small chicken breast wrapped in 1.5 strip of thick cut bacon baked and a pile of broccoli.

Altogether it should be around the same number of calories in as my run took out, so I may eat a Milky Way Midnight.

Down from 210 to 191 in 44 days... that's almost a half pound per day, which means I am running a calorie deficit of 1500 calories per day on average. I do a cheat day once a week so my daily caloric deficit is more like 2000 if I don't take my weekly binge into account lol

When you get to the weight you want will you add some calories so you stop losing?
    Otherwise, instead of "rgambs" you'll soon be "xsgambs".
    Or anorexic. The low caloric intake vs. heavy workouts worries me.
    rgambs said:

Ms. Haiku said:

rgambs said:

I did a 2 mile road run with a friend today and then I hit a new high on the PacMan machine (treadmill).
    I did 65 minutes, burned 750 calories and went a "distance" of 4.5 miles!!

Today's menu
    Breakfast: 1 scrambled egg with onions and peppers
    Lunch: 1 sandwich sized 1/4 inch slice of Turkey breast and a 100 calorie bag of popcorn
    Dinner: A small chicken breast wrapped in 1.5 strip of thick cut bacon baked and a pile of broccoli.

Altogether it should be around the same number of calories in as my run took out, so I may eat a Milky Way Midnight.

Down from 210 to 191 in 44 days... that's almost a half pound per day, which means I am running a calorie deficit of 1500 calories per day on average. I do a cheat day once a week so my daily caloric deficit is more like 2000 if I don't take my weekly binge into account lol

When you get to the weight you want will you add some calories so you stop losing?
    Otherwise, instead of "rgambs" you'll soon be "xsgambs".
    Or anorexic. The low caloric intake vs. heavy workouts worries me.
    I love food too much to be anorexic lol
    I'm just not really a man of half measures, I tend to go full tilt.
    I do have major issues with food, but it is at the other end of the scale, I have serious food addiction issues.
    I have a compulsion to eat massive amounts of junk food when there are no people around to judge me, I am the guy that woofs 3 cookies down in the kitchen and then walks out with 1 in my hand like that's all I am having lol
    I have an iron stomach and I can eat entire desserts without feeling ill, that doesn't help. I have been trying to fix my junk food issues for a couple years and I have had little success.
    As long as you are eating enough to sustain a happy and enjoyable life. I have no idea what your metabolism runs, but the workload/caloric intake is scary. As for food issues I get that completely!! As I eat when bored. I'll sit, read, and eat.. say an entire box of doughnuts or an entire bag of cookies before I realize it. Being diabetic makes it twice as difficult because I crave all the foods I shouldn't eat. Will power is the key for us both.
    Hope I didn't come off as a jerk in my first response. I tend to post before I've thought out what I wrote. Anyhow, I wish the best for you!
    P.S. How is baby Gambs doing?
    No, I wasn't offended! I understand that what I am doing is a little extreme, but I am a hardy and hale fella who can handle extremes pretty easily.
    Baby Simon is doing wonderful! He is 2 months shy of 2 now and growing so fast! He is a hearty eater and a jabberjaw, though he refuses to use real words, he has his own language and prefers it to ours I guess.
    Right now he is running around all day naked from the waist down lol, he runs to the potty to pee if he doesn't have encumbrances so we are just rolling with it!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

rgambs said:

I am the guy that woofs 3 cookies down in the kitchen and then walks out with 1 in my hand like that's all I am having lol

Is that bad?

Just joking.

Being an adult means eating a bag of white cheddar cheese puffy things and chocolate covered almonds for dinner. It's not everyday, but some days I just want rainy-day food. . . . and that is why I am on this thread. :)

I just have to have sweets all the time, donuts cookies, ice cream, I can never feel like I've had enough!
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    edited February 2017
    I have a tough love relationship with running. Today the stretching, weights, and stationary bike activities all went well. Running 0.5 mile was not what I would have hoped. Some of the best accomplishments of my life were running accomplishments so I keep at it. Onward to the rest of my day which is pretty fun-filled.

Tomorrow's strategy: I'm going to see if I can sing while I run. If I can then maybe I stop because I'm too bored and I don't challenge myself.
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    So tonight at the gym I decided to venture away from the treadmill and bike for the elliptical. Is it possible that 6'5" is too tall for that machine? I felt like the things for my hands were a couple of inches too low. I felt like I was stopping over and unable to find a good rhythm because of it. I looked to see if I could raise the arm thing but didn't see anything. Am I crazy?
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I'm 5'9 and find the elliptical to be perfect. I work out in our college gym, and never see any of the athletes using anything but the stationary bikes and treadmills FWIW.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

Loving hearing about everyone's routine! Some great stuff in here.

One question for TA. What is Hatha Yoga?

This: https://www.verywell.com/what-is-hatha-yoga-3566884
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    I bought myself a good quality yoga mat today, the difference between a cheap mat and a pricey one is noticeable.

A question, I burn around 800 calories per gym session, is that good?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options

I bought myself a good quality yoga mat today, the difference between a cheap mat and a pricey one is noticeable.

Yep, I would say that's pretty good. That's my average and lots people come and go while I'm still at it.
    In the absence of a serious athletic goal, that seems like a decent level of fitness.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

Loving hearing about everyone's routine! Some great stuff in here.

One question for TA. What is Hatha Yoga?

This: https://www.verywell.com/what-is-hatha-yoga-3566884
    Thank you. So it's basically a jumble ofEVERY known Yoga discipline. I had never heard of that.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822

How long is a piece of string?

I'm not sure your question gets you very far.

For one thing, unless you're undergoing complicated monitoring in a physiology lab, you really don't know how many calories you are burning. Fitbits and treadmills and such do a crude estimate.

Secondly, what are your actual goals? I don't think burning calories is your real goal. You've mentioned better mental health and that's a great one. Maybe other goals are losing weight, improving strength and endurance for some other activity you like, training for another goal like running a marathon, building a really buff body that will make potential romantic partners swoon, or just having fun and feeling good. All of those are more important areas to focus on than fussing about calories. Counting calories is a joyless trap, in my opinion (rgambs will disagree).
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

For one thing, unless you're undergoing complicated monitoring in a physiology lab, you really don't know how many calories you are burning. Fitbits and treadmills and such do a crude estimate.

Secondly, what are your actual goals? I don't think burning calories is your real goal. You've mentioned better mental health and that's a great one. Maybe other goals are losing weight, improving strength and endurance for some other activity you like, training for another goal like running a marathon, building a really buff body that will make potential romantic partners swoon, or just having fun and feeling good. All of those are more important areas to focus on than fussing about calories. Counting calories is a joyless trap, in my opinion (rgambs will disagree).
    Hahaha it is joyless! But I don't consider it a trap. Losing 15 lbs in a month is real progress!
  • Options
    When it becomes the sole or main purpose, it's a trap. And eating well is one of the great joys of life; stripping it down to calories in and calories out makes life bleak.
  • Options
    I enjoy all foods. I just space it out so that it is never too much of one thing at a time. ( which is difficult, because, as previously stated.. I can eat a whole bag of cookies in a sitting). But I try to make sure if I have a craving, I satisfy it with a small amount, before it becomes a binge item. ( this is easier said than
    Done.)
    As for counting calories, I agree with Often, it becomes the focus, whereas, the focus should be on WHY you are working out.

I work out, because I enjoy it. As well it is good for my diabetes, and helps me keep my blood sugar in check.
  • Options
    I agree with both of you in many ways, but that big picture focus is what causes most people to slide slowly out of shape and into obesity.
    In all areas of life, you don't balance your focus between the general and specific you will not achieve your goals.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    New squat PR today. On my last set got 3 reps at 185lbs, with good form to boot. I had already done 5 working sets, so that last rep was a little ugly though lol. I hate working legs and tend to skip leg day more often than not, so pretty happy with today's workout.
  • Options
    Leg day sucks! But it has to be done.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I agree with both of you in many ways, but that big picture focus is what causes most people to slide slowly out of shape and into obesity.
    In all areas of life, you don't balance your focus between the general and specific you will not achieve your goals.

Yes, I agree, which is why my form of exercise works so well for me; I love walking/hiking, so it being a driving passion helps. It
    Also fits in quite well with my other passion, training dogs. That is another key that I find to be essential to long term fitness, is finding something that you love to do, that challenges you physically.
  • Options

rgambs said:

Yes, I agree, which is why my form of exercise works so well for me; I love walking/hiking, so it being a driving passion helps. It
    Also fits in quite well with my other passion, training dogs. That is another key that I find to be essential to long term fitness, is finding something that you love to do, that challenges you physically.
    Exactly, Tree. If you don't find enjoyment in your exercise I think you're doing the wrong form of exercise. And ideally, you find one for which you have a passion and which makes you feel great.
  • Options

My goal was to lose the weight I gained over the course of last year.
    The previous year to that I lost weight and put it on due to always being idle doing homework and eating the wrong foods.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    rgambs said:

Leg day sucks! But it has to be done.

Sadly, yes it does. Gotta make up for it tomorrow. Arm day...Curls for the girls (girls meaning my wife lol)
  • Options

My hike yesterday. Going again today.
  • Options

My hike yesterday. Going again today.

• Options
    Freaking old ladies at the gym who apparently bathe in VATS of cheap-ass perfume.
    :perturbed:

I got on a treadmill 3 down from a pair of golden girls because I don't like running under the fan. It was ok, I could breathe just well enough.
    Then the rest of the squad showed up and I felt like I was going to pass out.
    I jumped off the treadmill, I said "too much perfume, people are trying to breathe here" and went to run under the fan about 30 feet away. They were giving me mad hairy scary eyeballs, that was ok, but I was still catching wafts, and I can still taste that shit in the back of my throat now 5 hours later.

Was I a dick?
    Yes.
    Am I sorry?
    No.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Freaking old ladies at the gym who apparently bathe in VATS of cheap-ass perfume.

I got on a treadmill 3 down from a pair of golden girls because I don't like running under the fan. It was ok, I could breathe just well enough.
    I jumped off the treadmill, I said "too much perfume, people are trying to breathe here" and went to run under the fan about 30 feet away. They were giving me mad hairy scary eyeballs, that was ok, but I was still catching wafts, and I can still taste that shit in the back of my throat now 5 hours later.

Was I a dick?
    Yes.
    Am I sorry?
    No.

Not a dick. And too bad your gym doesn't have signage indicating no scents.
  • Options

rgambs said:

Was I a dick?
    Yes.
    Am I sorry?
    No.

Hahaha I dunno, I didn't say it very nicely. Dick move, but sometimes that's what is needed in life!
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Was I a dick?
    Yes.
    Am I sorry?
    No.

Hahaha I dunno, I didn't say it very nicely. Dick move, but sometimes that's what is needed in life!
    Were you a jerk? yes. But you were an honest one. My
    Mother used to wear Youth Dew.. ugh.. shudder. One day, after smoking a huge joint, the landlord called to say he was coming by to fix something.. so my sister sprayed like five pumps of it, to "cover" the pot smell.. we couldn't go back in for like 6 hrs!! It was horrible!!
  • Options
    Got snowed out of my hike today.. oh well always next week, right?