Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Back day today. Usually I work out by myself, but today I worked out with the guys that lift really heavy. Couldn't do as much as them, but pushed myself harder than usual. Cardio afterwards. Really tired now, but it's a good tired.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Hit 25 miles last week, that's a few higher than my average.
    Haven't run yet this week, work is getting in the way.
    Lifts have been great and I'm 7 lbs down for the month, which is pretty good for how lenient I've been with my diet.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    So I totally thought I was stinking up the place but turns out I'm right on track. Lost 3 lbs about since the new year give a couple days. And I've kept it off. So gonna keep going! We're headed to the water park in March will be interested to see how my suit fits almost a year later since I wore it last. Wahooo. Life is good. Except the government is shut down.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    FoxyRedLa said:
    So I totally thought I was stinking up the place but turns out I'm right on track. Lost 3 lbs about since the new year give a couple days. And I've kept it off. So gonna keep going! We're headed to the water park in March will be interested to see how my suit fits almost a year later since I wore it last. Wahooo. Life is good. Except the government is shut down.
    I was never one to care much about the dreaded summer swim season, but if I keep progressing at my current rate I might just have to hit the tanning bed, get a body wax, and buy a banana hammock!
    :nuh_uh:
    :fearful:

So how far down are you since you wore it last?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Nice going everyone!!
    i hit all my goals last week. Did back and legs yesterday and today did abs and ran two miles on a muddy trail. Good times. Just have to eat better!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218

I crushed my long run yesterday. 14.25 miles, 8:41 pace, which, not too long ago, was a solid race pace for me. I don't know how I am getting faster at my age, but I am. I wasn't even all that tired after my run.

Lifts are going pretty well; my shoulders continue to look amazing, LOL, and while I might not have a Crossfit 8-pack, I definitely have a six-pack, sorry, dude up above. ;-)

Trying to think about my goals for the year, I don't know.... Maybe improving VO2 Max? winning my age group in a race (before I turn 50 and move up to the next age group)? working on sparring skills? Or maybe something more basic, like working more fruit and vegetables into my diet. It's something for me to think about.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.

I crushed my long run yesterday. 14.25 miles, 8:41 pace, which, not too long ago, was a solid race pace for me. I don't know how I am getting faster at my age, but I am. I wasn't even all that tired after my run.

Lifts are going pretty well; my shoulders continue to look amazing, LOL, and while I might not have a Crossfit 8-pack, I definitely have a six-pack, sorry, dude up above. ;-)

Trying to think about my goals for the year, I don't know.... Maybe improving VO2 Max? winning my age group in a race (before I turn 50 and move up to the next age group)? working on sparring skills? Or maybe something more basic, like working more fruit and vegetables into my diet. It's something for me to think about.

You are definitely in great shape lol

If I'm giving my opinion on your goals going forward with this year, I would say you should put those fitness chops to use in new ways.
    Your cardio is already through the roof and you've added strength training to a point that you seem to be satisfied with, so I'd say it's time to put that body to use and let working out be the training for the goal, rather than the goal.
    Obviously, for you that means running races, but I would say you should step out in new ways.
    Rock climbing, backpacking, kayaking/canoeing, mountain biking, or better yet, building multisport trips where you do them all.  
    Self-defence and martial arts could introduce a practical use for your body that is very valuable.

Even among gym rats, most people don't have the cardiovascular strength and conditioning to climb serious mountains like Rainier or Denali.  You've already got a whoop ass set of bellows and pipes, why not get out there and do something most people can't? 

Those are interesting suggestions, thanks. My self-defense/ jujitsu trainer wants me to start sparring with him -- that'll be a challenging workout, no doubt. I think he'd also like me to start going to regular classes, if I can overcome my shyness.

We're fortunate to live in an area where there are a lot of opportunities for outdoor activities. I would like us to find the time for kayaking, before the flood of tourists arrives. I like the idea of active travel, too; we tend to build trips around hikes and running trails. Most of this year's travel looks like it will be PJ-oriented, though. I can always run on the Burke-Gilman when we are in Seattle, of course. =)  That's where my running adventure began, many, many years ago.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    rgambs said:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    I was never one to care much about the dreaded summer swim season, but if I keep progressing at my current rate I might just have to hit the tanning bed, get a body wax, and buy a banana hammock!

Literally lol! :lol:

We took the kids in Sept. I was down 10lbs. And I actually bought a swim suit. Normally I'd just wear shorts and tank. Mostly because I'm cheap and it's loose fitting. So I guess I'm way off by saying it's almost been a year lol wow. So I'm down 13 from Sept. And I really only have the potential to lose 5 more lbs by time we go. But wahooo!

You guys sure do put me to shame. But it appears I have weight to lose where you guys appear you're bulking. Different goals which is cool. I'm also trying to make healthy changes I can maintain long term. Forgot where I was going with this lololol. I'm super Hugh stressed right now. 
    FoxyRedLa said:
    rgambs said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

We took the kids in Sept. I was down 10lbs. And I actually bought a swim suit. Normally I'd just wear shorts and tank. Mostly because I'm cheap and it's loose fitting. So I guess I'm way off by saying it's almost been a year lol wow. So I'm down 13 from Sept. And I really only have the potential to lose 5 more lbs by time we go. But wahooo!

You guys sure do put me to shame. But it appears I have weight to lose where you guys appear you're bulking. Different goals which is cool. I'm also trying to make healthy changes I can maintain long term. Forgot where I was going with this lololol. I'm super Hugh stressed right now. 
    15-20 lbs is definitely an appreciable weight loss, and you've surely offset some fat loss with muscle gain.
    It all happens in steps, and everyone has different goals.  I'll never even want to run 15 miles like curmudgeoness.
    Well, maybe if it was a trail run lol
    And I'll never care if I can move heavy weight like markymark does.
    I could do either if I set myself to it, but I probably won't.
    I have my goals and they have theirs, you have yours and we are all always changing and learning.

I guess my point is that it's never necessary to measure yourself against what someone else can do, only to measure what you can do today against what you could do yesterday.

In the spirit of that, y'all got me feeling inspired, I'm going to start my lift at 5am tomorrow with push-ups to failure.  I don't know how many I can do in a row because I haven't tried to go beyond 30.  
    I'll report my results and then set a goal for improvement and use this forum to keep me to it.

rgambs said:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    rgambs said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

15-20 lbs is definitely an appreciable weight loss, and you've surely offset some fat loss with muscle gain.
    It all happens in steps, and everyone has different goals.  I'll never even want to run 15 miles like curmudgeoness.
    Well, maybe if it was a trail run lol
    And I'll never care if I can move heavy weight like markymark does.
    I could do either if I set myself to it, but I probably won't.
    I have my goals and they have theirs, you have yours and we are all always changing and learning.

I guess my point is that it's never necessary to measure yourself against what someone else can do, only to measure what you can do today against what you could do yesterday.

In the spirit of that, y'all got me feeling inspired, I'm going to start my lift at 5am tomorrow with push-ups to failure.  I don't know how many I can do in a row because I haven't tried to go beyond 30.  
    I'll report my results and then set a goal for improvement and use this forum to keep me to it.

Awesome idea gambs! If I've learned anything it's definitely all about me and ok to be different. Just super jealous that I don't get much time to do what I want. But I'm in a different place and have little kids and currently sick so my time is booked!

Thanks. You all keep me going!
    Oh! And gambs yes! I compared 2 pics and I was shocked at just the 20lb loss differences. I was like whoa this is actually working!! Got me going again! I was a but bummed it took me 6 months to lose 20 but hey best I've ever done ever! 
    I'm just lucky I can function on 4-5 hours of sleep every night or I wouldn't be able to work out at all, kids definitely make it hard to find the time.  

Interesting thing is that I used to get migraines about once or twice a month, sometimes debilitating.  They were always linked to muscle cramps in my neck and shoulders, and they seemed to be more likely when I overslept.
    Turns out, they were.  Since I started tracking, I have never had a migraine on less than 6 hours of sleep.  Even when I was working out but not in the morning I would still get them, but none for almost 6 months because I've been hitting the gym early 6 days a week.
    Who would have guessed something like that?
    WHOA! Craziness! 
    50 reps and I collapsed on 51
    FoxyRedLa said:

Long-term changes are smart! Think beyond the bathing suit to your lifestyle. Those changes are more likely to have a lasting impact.
    rgambs said:
    Nice bud! Couldn't hit the gym today so I did some cardio at home at did 40 push ups.  My goal is to do something every single day for my body.
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Nice bud! Couldn't hit the gym today so I did some cardio at home at did 40 push ups.  My goal is to do something every single day for my body.
    Thanks, I felt pretty good about 50 straight without a pause, and then I looked up the record for non-stop push-ups expecting it to be between 700-800... it's 10,500 some!

First workout since last Thursday. Hate it when life gets in the way lol. Leg day today and I can already tell the DOMS is going to be bad tomorrow. Finished the workout with lunge walk - 50 per leg. It's been a while since I did those and I had forgotten how much they suck lol.
    First workout since last Thursday. Hate it when life gets in the way lol. Leg day today and I can already tell the DOMS is going to be bad tomorrow. Finished the workout with lunge walk - 50 per leg. It's been a while since I did those and I had forgotten how much they suck lol.
    Leg day here.  I haven't been getting much quad stimulation in squats, my body mechanics (long torso, short tibias) put all the weight on the posterior chain even with foot variations, so I'm focusing on leg presses and extensions to bring the quads up.

Whew!  There's nothing like a 30 rep leg press to just scorch those thighs.
    rgambs said:
    Leg day here.  I haven't been getting much quad stimulation in squats, my body mechanics (long torso, short tibias) put all the weight on the posterior chain even with foot variations, so I'm focusing on leg presses and extensions to bring the quads up.

Do you do front squats? Those are supposed to work the quads more than back squats.

For isolation, I really like the extensions. I really feel the contraction with them. I find that I try to ego lift on the leg press too much.
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Thanks, I felt pretty good about 50 straight without a pause, and then I looked up the record for non-stop push-ups expecting it to be between 700-800... it's 10,500 some!

10,500?!  that is insane!  
    rgambs said:

Do you do front squats? Those are supposed to work the quads more than back squats.

For isolation, I really like the extensions. I really feel the contraction with them. I find that I try to ego lift on the leg press too much.
    I haven't been, but I should be.  I was for a while and then I was having some wrist and shoulder pain taking too much of the weight on my arms so I stopped a couple months ago.

I stick to 3 or 4 moderate sets of extensions because I can feel my patellas tracking medially to a degree that makes me worry about the consequences 15 years from now.  I do really well with varied foot placement on linear and horizontal press machine, feet low and weight moderate.  I don't have a problem with ego lifting because I'm not a big enough guy to lift much lol
    I can do 6 clean squats and a few more less than perfect at 225 and it hurts a little and leaves me a little shaky legged, and it's nothing to speak of.  Or I can do 20-30 squats at 125 and it's pure hell past 12 reps and I'm even shakier.  I've been hitting all muscle groups twice a week so I go heavy for strength early in the week and light for hypertrophy later, but even my heavy workouts are light compared to many.  I rarely rep below 6, I understand that I'm missing strength gains, but I'd rather be cautious and stay as far away from injuries as possible.
    @home with a sick kid today.  did lots of cardio and abs.  hopefully i'll get to the gym later on in the day.
    Added on biceps and triceps plus 1.6 miles in ten minutes on the elpitucal 
    I can't stop thinking about Wrigley :tired_face:
    hit all my goals last week, ate better and drank a lot less.  Thanks to gambs for the idea of push ups; I have now added 45 pushups on Tuesday's, Thursday's and Saturday's.
    Good work mcgruff!
    I only ran 10 miles last week and my diet wasn't great, but my lifts were excellent, I was sore every day and recovered by the time I worked that group again so that's a good sign.

Did 5.25 miles today to start this week on the right track.
    Just finished fifteen miles, tougher than I would have liked. The winds shifted, so it's now hot and dry here -- that doesn't help. But I was feeling rough before I started.

I'm finally getting around to my post-holiday diet cleanup. My husband wants to lose weight and I want to drink less, so I'm hoping we will support each other in having healthier habits.