Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245

I set a new record today too! I added a bit of jogging into my mile in the Garden today, and I ended up doing my
    Mile in 25 minutes! That was amazing! I have not run like that since I was a kid!!

Congratulations, whispering hands! Awesome!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Yes! I think I might add some jogging in my routine. I just have to be really careful, because of not being able to feel my feet. But I can run on the road part of the trail.. plus, there are paved walkways at the side of the road all the way through GOG.. so I think I can add it in there!!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Yes! I think I might add some jogging in my routine. I just have to be really careful, because of not being able to feel my feet. But I can run on the road part of the trail.. plus, there are paved walkways at the side of the road all the way through GOG.. so I think I can add it in there!!

No offense meant here but...
    You need to branch out more! GOG is the most overrated natural feature in Colorado, it pales in comparison to the Indian Peaks Wilderness, the Uncompahgre, or any of the high country.
    I understand it is close to you so obviously it makes sense that it's your go-to, would be mine too, but I was severely disappointed with GoG, features like that are dime a dozen along the Front Range and not worth a penny a dozen in Arizona or Utah.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

You need to branch out more! GOG is the most overrated natural feature in Colorado, it pales in comparison to the Indian Peaks Wilderness, the Uncompahgre, or any of the high country.
    I understand it is close to you so obviously it makes sense that it's your go-to, would be mine too, but I was severely disappointed with GoG, features like that are dime a dozen along the Front Range and not worth a penny a dozen in Arizona or Utah.
    Yes, I plan on it. My transmission is going out. Once I have that fixed, school paid for, and my own place, I plan on roaming about. Priorities. Until then, I can walk here.

rgambs said:

Yes, I plan on it. My transmission is going out. Once I have that fixed, school paid for, and my own place, I plan on roaming about. Priorities. Until then, I can walk here.
    Priorities! Get it!

In the meantime, I bet you could find a hiking group to join that would carpool you to trail heads and keep you company, hiking is a big deal out there.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

rgambs said:

If you're running in The Springs this should be your goal. .....

https://youtu.be/-gVRZ0P8bdo

rgambs said:

Hahahahahaha!! I HAVE been
    Up the Incline..4 times now.. i can't feel my feet. Running up that would be stupid for me. Climbing Pike's Peak is my next big goal. But yeah.. last time I did the Incline, I got passed up by an elderly man RUNNING up it!!
    My sister runs up that thing.. crazy..
    45 minutes on the stationary bike
    30 minutes on the rowing machine

I feel good.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Chest and leg day. After being a slacker for a while, my max bench press dropped to 185 from 215. Got it back up over 200 today. Woo! Did 617 on the leg press. New personal record. I can already tell I will be sore tomorrow.
    Loving reading everyone setting new records or goals! Great job everyone! Keep it up!

rgambs said:

Up the Incline..4 times now.. i can't feel my feet. Running up that would be stupid for me. Climbing Pike's Peak is my next big goal. But yeah.. last time I did the Incline, I got passed up by an elderly man RUNNING up it!!
    I've run it!

But then again this is a regular run and or hike for me and my hound. ......

https://youtu.be/B0LVL2Kgv50
    35 minutes on stair machine with 30lb pack, 35 minutes treadmill, lifted chest and back 45 min

rgambs said:

I've run it!

That's awesome! I just cannot do that, at least not at a run.
    Ok. Seriously need to go to Boulder! Lol
    Have to watch that video again..
    edited April 2017
    Started my run pretty rough this morning, felt low energy and sore, still stiff from the weighted stairs yesterday. Almost jumped off the old Pac Man machine a couple times in the first 15 minutes, but I stuck it out...Reduced my speed from 6 to 5 , then even a little lower...Stopped and stretched for 30 seconds 2 times and stuck it out. When I hit 35 or 40 minutes I started feeling strong, so I worked my way up to 6.5 and held it there for thd final 15 minutes. Sweat was pouring, knees were pumping, ended up being a great workout...60 minutes, 4.75 miles, 750 calories

Glad I stuck it out when it felt like a bag of dicks, it feels good to push through a shit workout and transform it into one that feels good...maybe I can afford myself a lunch today lol
    Post edited by rgambs on
    When I started on the treadmill I could only sustain 4.5mph for 20minutes, then I upped the speed and alternated taking it down to 3.8 for rest periods now I can do 5.5 for 40 minutes on a weak day and an hour if I'm feeling strong. Usually I alternate from 7 down to 4.5 throughout an hour. I have pretty short legs so 7 is a sprint for me, I see women and some guys doing 7 and they look like they are barely jogging lol I am next to them looking like the Fred Flintstone just beatin' feet.
    rgambs said:

When I started on the treadmill I could only sustain 4.5mph for 20minutes, then I upped the speed and alternated taking it down to 3.8 for rest periods now I can do 5.5 for 40 minutes on a weak day and an hour if I'm feeling strong. Usually I alternate from 7 down to 4.5 throughout an hour. I have pretty short legs so 7 is a sprint for me, I see women and some guys doing 7 and they look like they are barely jogging lol I am next to them looking like the Fred Flintstone just beatin' feet.

This image made me laugh. I know what you mean! I too have short legs.. my younger sister, ( the nut job that runs up the Incline for fun..) has really
    Long legs, is a marathon runner etc.. and I have these stubby little legs! When we hike together, it looks like a Tennessee Walker next to a Paso Fino! Lol or at least that's how it feels :rofl:
    I guess ya'll should google those horses.. it's not as funny if you don't understand the the difference in gait.

rgambs said:

This image made me laugh. I know what you mean! I too have short legs.. my younger sister, ( the nut job that runs up the Incline for fun..) has really
    Long legs, is a marathon runner etc.. and I have these stubby little legs! When we hike together, it looks like a Tennessee Walker next to a Paso Fino! Lol or at least that's how it feels :rofl:
    I guess ya'll should google those horses.. it's not as funny if you don't understand the the difference in gait.
    Haha I don't know those breeds, but I am picturing an Arabian next to a wild pony lol. My wife is just an inch shorter than me, if that, and her hip is almost at my navel, so when she walks fast I have to get my jog on. I'm all torso, it makes me a solid wrestler, but locomotion isn't my strong suit!
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Haha I don't know those breeds, but I am picturing an Arabian next to a wild pony lol. My wife is just an inch shorter than me, if that, and her hip is almost at my navel, so when she walks fast I have to get my jog on. I'm all torso, it makes me a solid wrestler, but locomotion isn't my strong suit!
    Pretty much! Lol each of us siblings are so distinct and different, and yet, so alike.
    My routine today consisted of nothing.. slow moving storm systems have me doing well to make it to work today..
    My biggest struggle is against my own expectations. I want the scale to go down every day and when it doesn't I get frustrated. Then at some point I recover from the frustration and eat some food, only to go through the cycle again in another week or two.
    I know that I should only expect to lose a few pounds a month, but I know I am capable of more, and I want excellence, damnit.
    I wish I had taken some pictures and measurements before I started, it would be helpful to know how much fat I have lost as opposed to just weight. I know I have gained some poundage of muscle, but it's impossible to guess how much without knowing body fat percentage. Overall, weight isn't very important to me, I am meeting my fitness goals and fitting into my good clothes, it's just that weight is a very helpful metric if I don't let it twist my head.

Chest and leg day. After being a slacker for a while, my max bench press dropped to 185 from 215. Got it back up over 200 today. Woo! Did 617 on the leg press. New personal record. I can already tell I will be sore tomorrow.

Congratulations on the personal record, markymark550!

I've run it!

Whoa! Awesome journey and video. It's like we went on the trail with you. Very cool.

rgambs said:

Started my run pretty rough this morning, felt low energy and sore, still stiff from the weighted stairs yesterday. Almost jumped off the old Pac Man machine a couple times in the first 15 minutes, but I stuck it out...Reduced my speed from 6 to 5 , then even a little lower...Stopped and stretched for 30 seconds 2 times and stuck it out. When I hit 35 or 40 minutes I started feeling strong, so I worked my way up to 6.5 and held it there for thd final 15 minutes. Sweat was pouring, knees were pumping, ended up being a great workout...60 minutes, 4.75 miles, 750 calories

Glad I stuck it out when it felt like a bag of dicks, it feels good to push through a shit workout and transform it into one that feels good...maybe I can afford myself a lunch today lol

Awesome tenacity, rgambs!
    Ms. Haiku said:

I've run it!

Whoa! Awesome journey and video. It's like we went on the trail with you. Very cool.

Not my video
    But is a once a week, sometimes twice, run/hike/walk for me and the hound
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I'm on a short vacation with my kid so I decided to find a bouldering gym here. Great facility but so crowded; there were people waiting to try every problem, so I eventually left feeling a little annoyed and appreciative of my own gym. It was fun to branch out, though.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Blowing.It.Up. Haha!! Yeah!
    www.cluthelee.com
    Got about six miles in today.

Got about six miles in today.

Excellent!

I copped out and only ran 1.3 miles this morning. I haven't lifted in a handful of days because I'm trying to cut back on gas money from the 25 mile drive to the gym.
    Weighed in at 183.0 before dinner, that puts me 27lbs down in 93 days. That puts me right near 2 lbs/week and that's respectable enough, particularly considering that a few pounds were converted from fat to muscle.