Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    dankind said:

Rocking and rolling into February folks and feeling great! Great to see so many others joining in!

Off!! Off!!! Off!! Off!!!
    I like you even more than before because you said that :smile:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Stationary bike, and small weights.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited February 2017
    I am a regular at the gym.
    They play top 50 music videos on the big screen in the bike room.
    The shit mainstream music makes me angry and work harder.
    Especially when Little Mix's Shout Out To My Ex comes on.
    Today I smashed 1100 calories. Personal Best.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Getting closer to my goals. Got about 75% of a pull up yesterday. That's much better than the flailing around I did when I first started lol. I'll see how I feel on Monday and might go for the 225 lb bench press. Maybe need a spotter to help force the rep, but we'll see.

Something must be working though. A muscled up dude at the gym told me he could tell I was looking better and getting stronger.
    edited February 2017
    My hatha yoga instructor told me after last night's class I am doing great. Getting more flexible and strong. But I chickened out on the headstand.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • I just started out at a gym earlier this week. Gone every night (except tonight. Have my son for the weekend). I'm a big guy but I don't look it because I'm so tall. 6'5"/300
    I'm really needing to lose some weight and exercise would be good for my mental health and MS. So far, every trip to the gym has been biking for six miles and walking one. I'm working my way up to running but I'm self conscious about being the big tall grizzly bear on the treadmill.

I just started out at a gym earlier this week. Gone every night (except tonight. Have my son for the weekend). I'm a big guy but I don't look it because I'm so tall. 6'5"/300
    I'm really needing to lose some weight and exercise would be good for my mental health and MS. So far, every trip to the gym has been biking for six miles and walking one. I'm working my way up to running but I'm self conscious about being the big tall grizzly bear on the treadmill.

Gym has been awesome for my mental health.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

I just started out at a gym earlier this week. Gone every night (except tonight. Have my son for the weekend). I'm a big guy but I don't look it because I'm so tall. 6'5"/300

Mine too, though in my case it's the climbing gym. What a rush and a sense of accomplishment when I complete a route I've struggled for weeks to finish.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004

This is very cool :)
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I have been hitting the gym for the last month and feel great. Hit it hard and eat well. No beer!!!!! Feel strong and have a clear head for first time in years.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I have been hitting the gym for the last month and feel great. Hit it hard and eat well. No beer!!!!! Feel strong and have a clear head for first time in years.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103

I understand about being selfish conscious at the gym. I started out at 275 (and am much shorter than you, so just imagine). Just remember that nobody there cares since you're there to better yourself. I've found that most people there, be it staff, trainer, or someone working out are all supportive and encouraging. Good luck and keep on!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I understand about being selfish conscious at the gym. I started out at 275 (and am much shorter than you, so just imagine). Just remember that nobody there cares since you're there to better yourself. I've found that most people there, be it staff, trainer, or someone working out are all supportive and encouraging. Good luck and keep on!
    Too true! People care in a good way when you look good and they are proud of you for working on yourself regardless!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    One of the awesome things about my climbing gym is the supportive atmosphere. People help out total strangers with suggestions on holds and technique. As long as they see you're putting in an honest effort there's no judgement. Climbers are very competitive - with themselves; with other climbers, they are great people.
    This is the first time I ran this year as the treadmill I use was broken. Just a quarter mile to see how comfortable I feel, and I felt good. I added a little weight training and a little bit on the stationary bicycle.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku said:

This is the first time I ran this year as the treadmill I use was broken. Just a quarter mile to see how comfortable I feel, and I felt good. I added a little weight training and a little bit on the stationary bicycle.

:rock_on:
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

I absolutely LOVE living here in CO. Much cheaper, and twice as effective as going to a gym. NTTAWWT.. but I count pennies like Gambs counts calories!!Lol ( how the HELL do you survive on so little?? I would literally DIE on any less than 2000 calories!! Then again I burn energy like mad..Hahaha!) I have started walking to and from work on the nicer days; a guaranteed 5 miles a day, not counting any hikes I get in on short days.. I have lost 13 winter pounds just by adding the walk to and from work. By summer I may be too skinny!!

I absolutely LOVE living here in CO. Much cheaper, and twice as effective as going to a gym. NTTAWWT.. but I count pennies like Gambs counts calories!!Lol ( how the HELL do you survive on so little?? I would literally DIE on any less than 2000 calories!! Then again I burn energy like mad..Hahaha!) I have started walking to and from work on the nicer days; a guaranteed 5 miles a day, not counting any hikes I get in on short days.. I have lost 13 winter pounds just by adding the walk to and from work. By summer I may be too skinny!!

Gorgeous image!
    Ms. Haiku said:

Gorgeous image!
    That is just over the hill from where I am staying. I can walk here in 30 minutes. I love it. It is very insofar exercise. :smiley:
    Inspiring, not insofar

My views on the walk home, and when I get to work. ( yes that sign across the street says Kum&Go.. )
    I ran 4kms yesterday on the treadmill, getting better, endurance and pace.
    The guy on the bike next to me called me a machine after seeing on my display my effort.
    And I am getting better at hatha yoga.
    I just hope I can keep this up when I am back at university soon.
    I did a 2 mile road run with a friend today and then I hit a new high on the PacMan machine (treadmill).
    I did 65 minutes, burned 750 calories and went a "distance" of 4.5 miles!!

Today's menu
    Breakfast: 1 scrambled egg with onions and peppers
    Lunch: 1 sandwich sized 1/4 inch slice of Turkey breast and a 100 calorie bag of popcorn
    Dinner: A small chicken breast wrapped in 1.5 strip of thick cut bacon baked and a pile of broccoli.

Altogether it should be around the same number of calories in as my run took out, so I may eat a Milky Way Midnight.

Down from 210 to 191 in 44 days... that's almost a half pound per day, which means I am running a calorie deficit of 1500 calories per day on average. I do a cheat day once a week so my daily caloric deficit is more like 2000 if I don't take my weekly binge into account lol
    Loving hearing about everyone's routine! Some great stuff in here.

One question for TA. What is Hatha Yoga?
    rgambs said:

I did a 2 mile road run with a friend today and then I hit a new high on the PacMan machine (treadmill).

Today's menu
    Lunch: 1 sandwich sized 1/4 inch slice of Turkey breast and a 100 calorie bag of popcorn
    Dinner: A small chicken breast wrapped in 1.5 strip of thick cut bacon baked and a pile of broccoli.

Altogether it should be around the same number of calories in as my run took out, so I may eat a Milky Way Midnight.

Down from 210 to 191 in 44 days... that's almost a half pound per day, which means I am running a calorie deficit of 1500 calories per day on average. I do a cheat day once a week so my daily caloric deficit is more like 2000 if I don't take my weekly binge into account lol

When you get to the weight you want will you add some calories so you stop losing?
    edited February 2017
    Ms. Haiku said:

rgambs said:

Today's menu

When you get to the weight you want will you add some calories so you stop losing?
    Otherwise, instead of "rgambs" you'll soon be "xsgambs".

Ms. Haiku said:

rgambs said:

Today's menu

Or anorexic. The low caloric intake vs. heavy workouts worries me.
    Ms. Haiku said:

rgambs said:

Today's menu

Of course!

Ms. Haiku said:

rgambs said:

Today's menu

I love food too much to be anorexic lol
    I'm just not really a man of half measures, I tend to go full tilt.
    I do have major issues with food, but it is at the other end of the scale, I have serious food addiction issues.
    I have a compulsion to eat massive amounts of junk food when there are no people around to judge me, I am the guy that woofs 3 cookies down in the kitchen and then walks out with 1 in my hand like that's all I am having lol
    I have an iron stomach and I can eat entire desserts without feeling ill, that doesn't help. I have been trying to fix my junk food issues for a couple years and I have had little success.
    edited February 2017

Ms. Haiku said:

rgambs said:

Today's menu

rgambs said:

Ms. Haiku said:

rgambs said:

Today's menu

I love food too much to be anorexic lol
    I'm just not really a man of half measures, I tend to go full tilt.
    I do have major issues with food, but it is at the other end of the scale, I have serious food addiction issues.
    I have a compulsion to eat massive amounts of junk food when there are no people around to judge me, I am the guy that woofs 3 cookies down in the kitchen and then walks out with 1 in my hand like that's all I am having lol
    I have an iron stomach and I can eat entire desserts without feeling ill, that doesn't help. I have been trying to fix my junk food issues for a couple years and I have had little success.
    As long as you are eating enough to sustain a happy and enjoyable life. I have no idea what your metabolism runs, but the workload/caloric intake is scary. As for food issues I get that completely!! As I eat when bored. I'll sit, read, and eat.. say an entire box of doughnuts or an entire bag of cookies before I realize it. Being diabetic makes it twice as difficult because I crave all the foods I shouldn't eat. Will power is the key for us both.
    Hope I didn't come off as a jerk in my first response. I tend to post before I've thought out what I wrote. Anyhow, I wish the best for you!
    P.S. How is baby Gambs doing?
    Post edited by whispering hands on